Bloods v Bays trial match report

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Bloods v Bays trial match report

Post by blackandred on Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:17 pm

It was a case of the missing Westies players in both games at Richmond tonight. The Reserves looked like the U18s and were duly dispatched by a much bigger and experienced Glenelg side 24.18 to 2.4.

The senior team were missing players such as Schmidt, Bricknell, Birss, Caire, Hayes, Webb, Hill, Fielke and Green and combined a group of 7 kids with established players.

We led at every change and seemed to have the game under control leading by ten points at the 15 min mark of the last Q but the Bays slammed on 5 or 6 goals in the last ten minutes and ran away from us in the end. Final score Gl 16.4 to WA 12.14.

Considering we lacked any big forward and the Bays had Alleway and Kirkby we did well to have more scoring shots than them.

It was especially pleasing to note the excellent form of Jimmy Ezard who played most of the game and he seems to have recovered from the shoulder injury that ruined his 2013 season. Ryan Anderson also looked good. Beech played back. Another excellent contributor was new recruit Kaine Stevens who has adjusted beautifully to the pace of the game here and demonstrated some great skills under pressure in an impressive performance. Peter Nelson rucked all night. Kurt Thompson did some good things and looks to have improved from last year. Ben Macreadie injured his left arm and only played the early part of the game. Ben Fisher showed us he has lost little after his year away from senior footy and will slot back in nicely. Young Harry Vick looked impressive and Simon Wong’s pace is terrific.

Riley Milne has taken Ryan Ferguson’s no 27 and, while he did some useful things, will find it easier to fill his jumper than his shoes. The other recruit Richard Newell drifted in and out of the game but clearly the pick of the newbies was Kaine Stevens.

It made a pleasant change to see the manner in which we ran the ball into our forward lines and opened up scoring chances but we still lack key forwards. We won’t really settle until we get Hartlett back from suspension and Hardy into our fwd setup. Interestingly, Brad Fisher must have been in the neighbourhood and dropped by to watch the game.
blackandred

Number of posts : 116
Registration date : 2013-09-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Bloods v Bays trial match report

Post by Coorong on Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:06 am

Thankyou Blackandred. From an old diehard Westies fan a long way from home you and many others keep me up-to-date and I relish every word  bounce 
Coorong

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2013-09-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Lachlan on Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:14 am

BlackandRed 

Thanks for the report. I think Travis Tuck was fantastic last night. Ezard played across half back and he looked very comfortable there. Would start him there against South.
As B&R said we lost the game due to not having any key forwards. Hope McReadie is alright. Stevens was very good he is all class

We have so many injuries which is alarming given the time of yr. Need Webb back next week that's for sure
Lachlan

Number of posts : 440

Back to top Go down

Post by scorpion on Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:21 pm

Totally agree with  the above comments

Would like to say Keogh played very well the good thing about this lad
he is always in the contest

At the moment West have problems at Full Back and a 2nd Tall

Very impressed with Wong. Vick, and number 62 who I think was Dylan Male

In closing I WISH Middleton would get his HEAD right. He would be playing A grade.

On his game Last night Showed he can play C/H/B and on the ball when required
scorpion

Number of posts : 255
Registration date : 2013-09-24

Back to top Go down

Post by redandblack on Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:14 pm

Hopefully Ben MacReadie and Kaine Stevens will be OK next week.

Given our huge injury list, which I've never known to be so big at the start of a season before, I think our trial form has been really good. Add Hayes, Schmidt and Caire to last night's team and it's much improved. We should then get several players back over the following few weeks.

Loved the way we moved the ball quickly and it was mainly only our turnovers that cost us.

Glenelg played 23 and had most of their players on the track, bar Mitch thorp, I think.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Kick the thing backwards.
redandblack

Number of posts : 210
Registration date : 2011-11-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Audamus on Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:55 pm

62 Was Dylan Male. He only came in when Hayes was a very late withdrawal.
Audamus

Number of posts : 46

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum