Bloods v Roosters match report

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Bloods v Roosters match report

Post by blackandred on Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:16 pm

Westies supporters looking for signs of improvement in their team at Richmond oval tonight in this, the third game of the season, left bitterly disappointed (and possibly disgusted).

For the second week in a row, at our home ground, we played a team missing key players and we couldn’t take advantage of the situation presented to us – in fact this week’s effort was a significant step backwards. All this in conditions perfect for footy.

After leading at every change and looking the slightly better team in a scrappy and unattractive contest we were overrun by North who booted 5 goals in the last Q after managing only 4 goals in the first three. Final score NA 9.16, WA 7.13.

The only good footy in the whole match was played by North in the last Q. They were able to achieve a balance between a tough, defensive, hard tackling style and a quick, run-on, skilful brand of footy which left Westies flat footed. We pretty much stopped to a walk and were able to get the ball into our fwd line only 2 or 3 times in 25 minutes of play. On one such occasion Silverlock streamed down the grandstand wing and when well clear kicked the ball out of bounds. From the throw-in Fielke grabbed the ball and kicked it straight to a North player. North kicked 5.6 in the last Q and at one stage had around a dozen straight scoring shots for goal.

Earlier we squandered chances in front of goal managing 2.7 in the first Q missing easy set shots. At 3Q time we had only managed 6.13! We made poor choices, displayed atrocious skills, turned the ball over, dropped marks and the only time we managed to get the ball was when North gave it to us. It was excruciating to watch. Only Mason Middleton could hold his head up tonight kicking 3 of our miserable 7 goals. Ezard and Schmidt battled gamely all night and Keogh, Milne and Hayes did some good things down back, We have a group of young players like Wong, Schiller, Gallard and Hopton who seemed intimidated by the contest while North had a group of kids who excelled in the last term. When things get tough you expect your more experienced players to stand up but Silverlock, Fisher, Anderson, Fielke, Macreadie and Beech were not able to take the game on and provide the required inspiration and leadership. Our rucks were ineffective all night despite having a height advantage and as the game wore on we were smashed at the clearances.

Tuck dropped out before the game but North lost Thring. We went down in the 2’s 14.11 to 9.7. Bricknell, Green and Still ran out the game well.

It’s hard to see us winning a game in the near future.
blackandred

Number of posts : 116
Registration date : 2013-09-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Bloods v Roosters match report

Post by aldo russian on Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:18 am

According to the stats we had 2 inside 50s for the last quarter.
We used to kick bigger scores when we had no one in the forward lines.
aldo russian

Number of posts : 428

Back to top Go down

Post by billrobs1 on Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:49 am

Always enjoy your reports b&r. Thanks

My take...
Skills 6/10 - sure come down the guts boys it's exciting stuff but hit a bloody target otherwise you will get carved up!!!!! We are missing some quality experienced players maybe they will improve this area of our game upon return?

Endeavour 7.5/10 - I feel that we are having a dip. The intensity in the packs seems ok.

Fitness WTF!!!! - 3 games in a row we have looked like we were standing still in the last qtr. How is it on the few occasions we got the ball in the last qtr. they were able to man up on us so easily? The question is if we have a fitness problem how do you fix this mid season??

I've not given up. Had we converted 3 or 4 of the points we kicked in the first qtr it might have been a very different story.

billrobs1

Number of posts : 141
Registration date : 2014-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Lachlan on Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:50 am

We have a number of players who are underdone due to a limited pre season.
Our skill level was very poor. We over used the ball that's for sure.
We had enough of the ball to be well in front at 3/4 qrt time but our conversion was very poor

I was shocked to see both Hopton and Gallard playing league footy this week.These 2 guys at present are not
Up to league standard.

MacReadie MUST spend more time in the centre square

Beech and Silverlock MUST SPEND MORE TIME FORWARD. I think Beech is spending most of his time in the midfield.this maybe because of injury to key players

Hopefully Hartlett,Tuck,Green and Bricknell will lay against Norwood
Lachlan

Number of posts : 440

Back to top Go down

Post by firstblood on Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:08 am

Lachlan wrote:We have a number of players who are underdone due to a limited pre season.
Our skill level was very poor. We over used the ball that's for sure.
We had enough of the ball to be well in front at 3/4 qrt time but our conversion was very poor

I was shocked to see both Hopton and Gallard playing league footy this week.These 2 guys at present are not
Up to league standard.

MacReadie MUST spend more time in the centre square

Beech and Silverlock MUST SPEND MORE TIME FORWARD. I think Beech is spending most of his time in the midfield.this maybe because of injury to key players

Hopefully Hartlett,Tuck,Green and Bricknell will lay against Norwood

Port at Alberton next Saturday Lachlan..
firstblood

Number of posts : 280
Job/hobbies : The light keeper
Registration date : 2007-11-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Lachlan on Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:23 am

FB

Thanks mate. That is going to be a real tough ask
Lachlan

Back to top Go down

Post by Second Team on Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:42 pm

1. Norths last quarter was the only highlight of the night.
2. North went ' THIRD MAN UP ' in the last quarter and we failed to do anything about it.
3. Lost the ruck and the clearances.
4. I think our backline is doing very well.
5. Thought our tall forwards provided targets. We just didn't get it in there.
6. Some of our field kicking was crap.
7. Will be good to get back some more players next week.
8. The umpire with the bald head was the worst umpire I have ever seen. You suck.
9. Some players need a run in the reserves to find form.
10. Next week is as good as ever to get our first win.  Shocked  Shocked  Shocked
Second Team

Number of posts : 416

Back to top Go down

Post by Lachlan on Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:15 pm

ST

You are 100% correct that North went Third Man Up In the last qrt and to me that was a major reason why they won.Why we didn't try to combat that was surprising and why we didn't try it earlier in the game when we had most of the ball was also surprising
Lachlan

Back to top Go down

Post by scorpion on Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:04 pm

Well the new game plan AINT WORKING what ever that is
If your side is ORDINARY with SKILL'S in which we are and we play players who are not
up to it at the Moment this will what happen every week
I am no coach but SURELY Still should have played before Hopton
Bricknell before Gallard I am not saying we would have won But surely our structure would
have been Better with Still at F/Forward & Middleton C/H/F
Hopefully Angry (Hartlett) will add that extra Tall in the back 1/2 next week
Let's Hope the next week at training the big TALK should be SKILLS SKILLS SKILLS
scorpion

Number of posts : 255
Registration date : 2013-09-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Lachlan on Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:13 pm

Scorps

Spot on mate regarding selection.
Hopton is a battler at best. Agreed Still should have played with Middleton at CHF
Gallard should have made way for Bricknell even if he was underdone.

Both Hopton and Gallard have proven themselves at reserves level yet

Think we are over using the ball? We are trying to move it quickly but our skills have been very poor.
I guess when you have young players such as Stevens,Newell,Hopton,Gallard,Wong,Schiller,Dijksman who have played very little SANFL you are going to have problems
Lachlan

Back to top Go down

Post by loppy19 on Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:16 pm

Made it last night for my first game of the season, it might be my last one for a long time.
If this is the "new" SANFL, well no thanks.
In perfect conditions, goal kicking and general skill was worse than country footy.. from both teams.
The bald umpire, simply hopeless from start to finish for both teams.

I really found it hard to stay interested in the game due to the poor skills and decision making.
I thought the coach did not change much at all when in the balance. E.g. Webby in the ruck in the last qtr.
Not impressed at all.
loppy19

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2013-09-30

Back to top Go down

Post by captainblood on Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:27 am

Wow we had a team that has lost nearly our entire back line.
Tippett , Fergie,Magnan,Green,Bricknell and Caire. Admittedly the key 3 ain't coming back but hell it's hard to replace that many so quickly.

Keough has been a revelation at full back but I think we need his smarts in the forward line.
Hartlett's return might help there.

Football is a game of momentum and when you have it the good sides make you pay.
This game should have been out of North's reach by quarter time so dominate was our performance but being the inexperienced team we are we didn't make them pay and paid the price ourselves.
As I mentioned last week our skill level causes no end of problems, if you fumble you're in trouble. Back to the training track and hard work.

We got killed in the centre in the last quarter and like the other posters said I would have liked to see some attempt at changing things up.
Keough up forward, MacReadie into the centre,stopping the third up,Webb into ruck, Beech moved, just something that shows we are proactive to the situation. It is my greatest frustration as a supporter to see 'the same' look throughout a game when we are in trouble. When we are on top no worries but a coach needs to think on his feet and attempt to arrest or change things up. Easier said than done but I would be so much more forgiving if I left a game saying well he attempted to adjust quickly and give the opposition a new look and make a difference.

Still comes into that team next week, Webb has to ruck more, Beech needs to have periods in the forward line and Tuck should be back. Our forward line needs multiple looks that's for sure.

I'm disappointed we are 0-3 but Mickan is going down the right path.
He has to try the young blokes and keep trying them, he has to get games into them.
I am happy with their attack and desire on the ball.
The balance of the team seems to be half the problem to me but a new coach needs to learn his players strengths and weaknesses and find his own way.

Going to be a challenging season but the nucleus of a good team is there.
captainblood

Number of posts : 61

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum