What a farce

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What a farce

Post by TAAARS on Sun May 11, 2014 12:34 pm

We are now well into the season and have had time to review the AFL reserves,the promises, the expectations etc.  My view is it is nothing but a giant con job and farce.
The Crows: We were told....let us come into the SANFL and we will have 4000 spectators there every week no problem! Last night there was not even half that. All but about 300 were West supporters. I suspect being a night game with the lighting cost we would have taken a loss on the night. Just great! Thanks Crows.
Bear in mind the Crows AFL side had a bye,the weather was fine for a night game with no wind and not too cold.
Unless there is a so called star player playing eg Taylor Walker,Dangerfield etc you are not going to attract crowds to watch. Who ever watches reserves play unless before the main event in any sport?
As for the game itself it was obvious to me their main agenda was to practice their game plan and stay uninjured so if any are called up to the 1st grade they can slot straight in. Sure they will try and win if the chance arises but it is not their main agenda. I didn't see any of them going for the hard ball. The only time the crows were on the ground was if a west player put them there. Hardly makes for a game worth watching. The other problem I had was as I am a Crows supporter in the AFL it was like watching two of your kids playing in opposing sides, or like being on a date with my sister.
The Power: They have just outright cheated the system. How? well both AFL clubs were supposed to only have top up players from other SANFL clubs that let them ie Joe Blow can't make the seconds side this week so go play with the AFL sides as needed. What Port did was keep a number of non AFL but good SANFL players such as Summerton ( the captain for gods sake) to do the heavy lifting in and under packs etc then top up with Power reserves. You end up with Power reserves not able to get a game in the very team that it was designed for. And ofcourse you end up with a very strong SANFL side to appease the old Magpie supporters.
Very clever actually, and the SANFL directors just stand by and watch on wringing their hands. To help it all along we have ex Port players in the media such as Tim Ginevier saying on Ch 7 " let's just wait and see as it all pans out, you know as injuries to the Power take their toll etc" He and others will keep saying this all year until the finals when it will be...oops! we have just won the premership. That was lucky,but just wait and see next year will be different.
As I said at the beginning the whole thing is a farce. I'm ashamed my club was a leading advocate for it to happen. Where is Paul Sperling now? Come on this site and explain how good this is for us all. Because I'm sorry I can't see it and won't be hanging around next year if it isn't fixed. Start by getting rid of the AFL reserves and let them go to the amatuers where they can win by 200 points each week.
TAAARS

Number of posts : 108
Registration date : 2013-09-25

Back to top Go down

Re: What a farce

Post by bundy on Sun May 11, 2014 5:40 pm

WELL SAID TAAARS.
bundy

Number of posts : 289
Job/hobbies : Lawn Bowls at Freeling
Registration date : 2013-09-24

Back to top Go down

Post by testy on Sun May 11, 2014 5:47 pm

Tho whole thing is laughable, the cows have one side in the SANFL and the ferals have 4 grades in the SANFL, it should never have been allowed.
I don't want either in our competition but they are here to stay.
The maggots are the power's reserves, why is there a side in the B Grade, the under 18's and under 16's.

Under 1800 people at last nights game, we haven't got the supporter base for all of these night games at home and it is time the club got back to day games, Centrals have lights and use them very sparingly.
testy

Number of posts : 243

Back to top Go down

Post by Lachlan on Sun May 11, 2014 7:54 pm

When I watched West V Port I was surprised to see them wearing the Magpies strip
I thought they would at least wear something similar to there AFL Side.

If they win the premiership it will be an absolute farce

To see them have  4 sides in the SANFL is a disgrace to the whole competition

There captain isn't even an AFL listed player and he plays for $400.00 a game and as if
I Believe that
Lachlan

Number of posts : 447

Back to top Go down

Post by redandblack on Sun May 11, 2014 9:01 pm

I agree with a lot of what you've said, TAAARS, but you should be careful about naming someone as you have.

The decision was a Club decision, I believe. Without going into detail, I think you're being not only highly unfair to Paul Sperling, but you're jumping to conclusions that may or may not be in accordance with the facts,

I'm not against the concept, but I do totally agree with you about Port possibly abusing the rules.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Kick the thing backwards.
redandblack

Number of posts : 210
Registration date : 2011-11-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Beswick on Sun May 11, 2014 9:08 pm

I'm still hopeful in the future we can review this and remove them - Some board members of the crows are now regretting the decision both financially and the damage it has done to their brand splitting the SA community.

We will have to wait and remove the benefits Port Have over the next year or so as well
Mark Beswick

Number of posts : 310

Back to top Go down

Post by captainblood on Mon May 12, 2014 11:53 am

wolves wrote:I'm still hopeful in the future we can review this and remove them -  Some board members of the crows are now regretting the decision both financially and the damage it has done to their brand splitting the SA community.  

We will have to wait and remove the benefits Port Have over the next year or so as well

This is exactly the part I don't get. How do so called intelligent leaders of football clubs, not see the cause and effect of a decision like this.
If you rationally thought out the scenario's then no other conclusion could be made that with the conditions the Power went in with they were always going to dominate. They were so generous compared to the Crows it wasn't funny and that a team full of professional AFL players would always beat SANFL part timers.
It wasn't rocket science and it took very little imagination to think otherwise.

The other point well made by Wolves was the Crows decision. The Crows had a lot of goodwill amongst many (not all) SANFL supporters pre reserves team. How could their board not foresee that they were going to damage and put off side SANFL supporters of traditional clubs.
This was dumb marketing 101. There are only so many traditional footballer followers and they've managed to rub most up the wrong way.

As now seen, the Crows state team model is flawed and is actually a liability to player development. A team with substandard top up players will not improve their AFL listed players. It actually hampers player development because there is zero system at present.

The old system paired AFL players with skilled SANFL players whose teams had structure and system.
The finals aspect of this system needed tidying up but it worked for twenty years and it brought the SANFL and AFL clubs closer together.

I just don't see any benefits in this current model for the SANFL clubs. A dominate Port with those conditions causes resentment and eventual apathy and a stonger Crows will do the same.

As SANFL followers this intrusion into our league has been damaging to the fairness of the comp.

The alternative is for both clubs to play elsewhere. This may weaken our competition in  future years (loss of Magpie supporters).
The SANFL will still survive in a less significant capacity and market but I'm beginning to believe our administrators should be prepared to live with this reality because the system as it now stands is SH*T.

Sometimes when things aren't broken why change them.
The old system wasn't perfect but West Adelaide born and breed players played for West Adelaide when they were dropped.
We don't actually owe the AFL clubs much loyalty now. The AFL encouraged the sale of the licences onto the SANFL, so our ties are now weakened.

Our commission needs to grow some balls and do what's best for the traditional SANFL clubs. That's their mission statement and who they represent. Tweeking at the fringes isn't going to changed this flawed model, a complete rethink is needed. There are some situations where dollars should not be the over riding factor in decisions, this is one. The league is in grave danger of losing their traditional supporter base and in this environment they simply can't afford to do that.
captainblood

Number of posts : 61

Back to top Go down

Post by Richmond Rocker on Sun May 18, 2014 10:02 am

I will reserve my decision until the end of 2015.

The previous system of players returning to SANFL teams made a joke of the SANFL more than this new system. Why SANFL clubs should benefit by having their players drafted by only 2 AFL clubs to retain their possible services (if out of form or injured). You could have 20 players drafted to the AFL and none be available as they all go interstate.
No SANFL clubs should be a vehicle for AFL players to be returned to form except on a year to year basis, not game by game.
While it was great to watch us tear South apart with Couch, Laird, Cassisi and Grey one week it was obvious this they would not be part of our club later in the year so what is the point.

We must remember that although players like Laird,Porps and Rutts are all Westies boys but they are not employed by us, paid by us and therefore should not be playing for us until they are again.

The draft for non SA AFL players,this did not help our cause and nearly destroyed Sturt.

The crows appear to be using the SANFL side in the manner designed. Port on the other hand is in great form in the AFL and has no injury's so therefore a better SANFL side. They also still have a reserves and under 18's in 2014.

Will be interesting to see what happens at the end of the year when clubs de-list players prior to the completion of the SANFL finals. It is possible that players will be de-listed (sacked) by a club that needs them to play in their reserves finals side. I wonder if Thomas from PAFC would have played for the club that just sacked him? It was different when he went back to norwood.

The SANFL has changed, added sides, lost sides, changed rules throughout its history. It needs to evolve. Since the introduction of the expanded VFL our league has never been the same and never will be. What is important is the SA Footy,like WA footy, is much better than just a 2 team AFL state (compared to the Vics) and our state league must remain second only to the AFL.

Richmond Rocker

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2013-12-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Beswick on Sun May 18, 2014 11:54 am

They should play sanfl reserves
People are voting with their feet
Attendances are down and we have had great weather
We should return sanfl gf after the afl gf and see how committed the all sides are then
I teach kids in year 4
They barrack for crows or power sanfl teams in both leagues and have given away their sanfl team in the majority
Where will future members come from
Port should be forced to wesr the power jumper and play all games away like crows. Port need to have their reserves academy stripped away in 2015 until we can remove both sides from our league comp
Mark Beswick

Number of posts : 310

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum