West v Sturt...WTF

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

View previous topic View next topic Go down

West v Sturt...WTF

Post by billrobs1 on Sun May 18, 2014 8:57 pm

I'm Shattered....

If I hear the coach refer again to intensity or endeavour or some other crap like that to explain what I witnessed today I will spew!

When hammered like this it comes down to a difference in either Skill, Fitness or Game Plan (or a combination of all 3).
billrobs1

Number of posts : 141
Registration date : 2014-03-26

Back to top Go down

Re: West v Sturt...WTF

Post by Lachlan on Sun May 18, 2014 9:49 pm

Simple fact is 

1.WE DIDNT COME TO PLAY. Our INTENISTY WAS NEXT TO ZERO

2.We were slow with our ball movement

3.Our spread from stoppages was very poor. That comes back to WORK RATE

4.We were badly Beaton on the outside of the contest today

I can accept that we have had a tough run with injury but so far this year games like this and against South we didn't come to play.
I also thought we won in very UNCONVINCING FASHION against a very week crows side

I can also accept lOSSES against the Eagles and North where our endeavour was good but our skill level was down

WHAT I CANNOT ACCEPT IS AN INSIPID PERFORMANCE BY A TEAM THAT DIDNT TURN UP TO PLAY TODAY

TIME FOR THE PLAYERS TO HAVE A GOOD HARD LOOK AT THEMSELVES AND DECIDE THEY WANT TO PLAY STRONG COMPETITIVE FOOTBALL FOR 4 QUARTERS AS THEY DID UNDER COLLINS OVER THE PAST COUPLE OF YRS
Lachlan

Number of posts : 447
Registration date : 2013-09-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Second Team on Sun May 18, 2014 11:40 pm

Random Thoughts.

1. Old habits die hard. Flood forward and get spanked.
2. Won the hitouts and the clearances.
3. Numerous times the onballers got first use of the ball by good ruckwork but we turned it over with the next disposal.
4. First time Keough has been well beaten all year.
5. Thompson is a better defender than forward.
6. Out coached and out played all day.
7. More injuries does not help us for next week.
8. Did anyone play well in the reserves.
9. The coffee is crap at unley.
10. Bring on the bays.  Shocked Shocked Shocked
Second Team

Number of posts : 426

Back to top Go down

Post by loppy19 on Mon May 19, 2014 9:03 am

I went expecting a tight and tough contest. What I saw was Sturt running in packs, loose and unchecked for 2 entire quarters. I say 2 because I left in disgust at half time.

That was the worst effort I have seen in a long time following West. The game plan is crap, their is no passion, no accountability to run hard when not in possession and the abysmal skill by foot. Not to mention the ongoing lack of a forward structure. It was a training run for Sturt.

Reserves got smacked with no one looking really good- I reckon we have gone backwards rapidly under Mickan already. Body language was bad and did not look like a team playing for the coach at all.

We are not going to win many more this season and I am not going to watch for a few weeks because that was a waste of time and money yesterday and I have better things to do than watch witches cones with hands on hips in the first quarter.
loppy19

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2013-09-30

Back to top Go down

Post by redandblack on Mon May 19, 2014 2:20 pm

The game plan seemed to work well the previous two weeks.

A bit hard on the Coach when he has to pick a forward line with no key forwards available.

Middleton
Still
Hayes
Hardy.

All out.

By the same reasoning after a big loss at Unley Oval, you would have sacked Andy Collins after one year.

Oh, perhaps you did?    Very Happy
redandblack

Number of posts : 210
Registration date : 2011-11-20

Back to top Go down

Post by loppy19 on Mon May 19, 2014 2:28 pm

Every year there are excuses R&B.
Yesterday, no excuses for that dross.
Coach sets the team to play, yesterday they did not turn up to play. Have yet to find a 4 quarter effort all season, any idea when that might be likely to happen? Buck stops with the coach to prepare the team and give it a red hot go. Yesterday, I don't think any of them did and they had given up by end of the first quarter.
Mickan has not shown anything to inspire supporters so far and does not seem able to do it.

loppy19

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2013-09-30

Back to top Go down

Post by JCL on Mon May 19, 2014 3:01 pm

I have not enjoyed watching our games this year - while I've only recently started posting, I have viewed this Forum for some time and in recent years it surprised me how critical people were of Collins in light of the fact that we were winning, made it to a grand final and finished top 3 in consecutive years. Sure, we didn't get the ultimate result, but Norwood were a great team and no team was really close to them.

I now go to games not expecting to win, something that hasn't happened for a few seasons. Each of our games have been poor, excepts for the odd quarter where we have dominated games and we've only beaten teams which I expect will be down the bottom with us.

I know there have been changes to the team but the players you listed in the forward line (other than Still) didn't play for us last season. We;re not missing enough players to explain the poor start to yesterday's game.
JCL

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2014-04-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Lachlan on Mon May 19, 2014 3:35 pm

A number of players have had a very limited pre season which has had a definite impact so far this year
However in saying that we DIDNT COME TO PLAY yesterday it's as simple as that.
Our commitment for the contest in the 1st half was extremely disappointing.

We allowed Sturt to play there way.

As a Supporter I CANNOT ACCEPT A PERFORMANCE LIKE THAT.

THERE NEEDS TO BE A MAJOR RESPONSE AGAINST GLENELG.
Lachlan

Number of posts : 447

Back to top Go down

Post by redandblack on Mon May 19, 2014 4:05 pm

Yes, JCL, there's no excuse for a performance like yesterday. I'm as disappointed as you and all of us. It really hurts.

Rest assured, though, that there is a lot of planning being done to make sure our obvious weaknesses will be rectified. To me, it's the No 1 item of importance.

At the start of the year, we were all apprehensive about what our defence might look like, without Fergie, Tippett and Mangan. Mark put Tom Keough into defence and that's been a good move. Adam Hartlett has been terrific at CHB also and Riley Milne has been good.

In the previous two or three games, Michael Still had been kicking goals and things looked OK.

Suddenly, he's out, Daniel Caire is out, Bricknell is out, Middleton's out and we're very short of talls, waiting for Hayes and Hardy to be ready.

Posters are right, yesterday was unacceptable and the right response is needed, not just for that game, but for the rest of the season.

We all bleed for the club when we see games like yesterday. The players will be hurting and they'll respond.

We shouldn't accept performances like yesterday. The boys broke even in the second half after different moves and although the game was over at half-time, they kept fighting.

I missed the early games, but did enjoy a lot of the football we played in winning by 6 goals and 10 goals in the previous two weeks.

I umderstand if Loppy doesn't turn up until we start winning again, but I think it's far too early, after 7 games, to yet again put it all the the Coach.

Nevertheless, we're all sharing some pain right now and I'm sure that's no different with the Coach and the players.

They'll respond next Saturday.

They have to.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Kick the thing backwards.
redandblack

Number of posts : 210
Registration date : 2011-11-20

Back to top Go down

Post by captainblood on Tue May 20, 2014 7:04 am

The one aspect that annoyed me on Sunday was our lack of adjustment.
For the first half we went so wide while Sturt owned the corridor. They had players camped in the centre and switched the ball there. Most of their attacks came down the guts and we did very little to affect that situation.

I know we were bleeding goals and they dropped players back, Beech being the unusual one but we left Beard by himself in our forwardline. He repelled every attack we made.
Every team has bad days but we gave ourselves no chance of victory by employing those tactics. Maybe it was our coaching or our on field leadership I'm not sure but  we needed to be proactive quicker . We were IMO so slow to adjust.
In that first half we looked slow and timid and very hesitant in our movement forward.

At least in the second half we played a more recognizable forward line, Beard got an opponent and the players also put some actual tackling pressure on their opponents.

Special mention to Beech I thought he was the one player who busted his gut all day.

Game over, move on I  just  don't want to see a repeat of that performance this next week.
captainblood

Number of posts : 61

Back to top Go down

2 "out of bounds on the full" per quarter

Post by LukeO9 on Thu May 22, 2014 6:01 pm

...from the league players at Unley
The coach's comments posted tonight are just rhetorical.
The worst performance from the team I've experienced from the club in many years.
I feel for some players. e.g Beech (did the umpire not know the "man in front" rule for simultaneous marks) that performed.
I also thought the Club's cynical team selection for the Foxtel Cup was stupid.
LukeO9

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2014-05-22

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum