Bloods v Tigers match report

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Bloods v Tigers match report

Post by blackandred on Sat May 24, 2014 8:19 pm

In the context of the 2014 SANFL competition this game was of little consequence, two lowly clubs battling it out. But to the clubs involved today was a key contest as the winner could retain some hope for the season while the loser would pretty much write off the year.

In what was a total reversal of fortunes from last week’s Unley debacle the Bloods obliterated the woeful Bays running out clear winners, 21.23 to 8.3. That makes 44 shots to 11!!

From the first bounce Westies were clearly the superior side. They dominated the Q to finish 3.10 to 1.1 and yet the Bays were only 3 straight kicks away. We let ourselves down by leading into the pockets and not looking for options in the corridor. It’s not rocket science and Centrals won a lot of premierships by working the ball down the wing and centre-ing it to CHF to minimise the angle.

Webb was getting his hand to the ball first against the giant Jones and we shared the ball around but our finishing was terrible. Fielke, in his hundredth game was everywhere up forward but at one stage kicked 3 straight behinds with Macreadie and Keogh having 2 each. Our pace and endeavour were far superior to that of the Tigers who looked like we did last week.

In the 2Q we continued to dominate but our kicking improved marginally as we had the same number of shots but kicked 5.8. At half time it was 8.18 to 2.1. Did I mention that the conditions were perfect? Well, they were. No excuses for such poor kicking. The Bays didn’t get their second goal until the 17 min mark of this Q. For once Westies best players weren’t in the backline as they rarely saw the ball. When they did Hartlett, Thompson, Green and Co sent it straight back to our forwards in a dominant display.

We continued to improve our kicking in the 3Q adding 6.2 while the Bays booted 4 straight. For those waiting for a Bloods fade-out there was a little more opposition early in the Q but we soon reasserted our dominance. 3Q time 14.20 to 6.1

It could reasonably be expected that a team would sit on such a lead but to their credit Westies continued on their merry way and in the last Q kicked 7.3 to 2.2 to make it their best Q of the game. This was possibly the single most impressive aspect of a fantastic effort from the whole team. Beech and Keogh got 2 each and even Rory Milne, playing a blinder against his old club ran forward to slot a major. Final WA 21.23, Gl 8.3.

We had ten players with more than 20 possessions against the Bays 2. It was a complete team effort. James Ezard belied his age and played a wonderful game using his experience (and pace!) to bamboozle the younger Bays’ players. Kurt Thompson played, arguably, his best game for the club. Beech was back in the forward line where his strong marking and accurate kicking make him so much more productive. Interestingly, Schmidt played most of the game on the wing and used his skill to sweep past the centre and work the ball forward. Fielke , Hill, Tuck, Silverlock were all terrific and Stevens played his best footy in the last half. Fielke took 11 marks but only managed 1.4. Special mention to Schiller who really came of age in this game, cementing his place in the team. Hartlett was cool and, most importantly, mature and controlled all day.

Our workrate, our pace and our focus never faded for the whole contest. It was a complete performance, only our poor kicking let us down but we'll take a 98 pt win anytime.

Dijksman and Jennings dropped out and Carter played mainly off the bench to support Webb. Hayes limped off in the 3Q with an injured left leg.

The 2s also won easily, 17.11 to 12.13. The last time these 2 teams played it was Gl 24.18 to WA 2.4!! Hardy and Birss ran out the game well and will make things interesting at the selection table in 2 weeks time.
blackandred

Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2013-09-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Bloods v Tigers match report

Post by Lachlan on Sat May 24, 2014 8:42 pm

B&R

Thanks for another great report.
It was great to see us rebound so well after a very disappointing game last week

Ezard turned back the clock today. I thought his run and carry from half back was outstanding and easily his best game for a couple of yrs.
Mickan has certainly found the right position for Ezard.
MacReadie is a very important player to us and when he finds a lot off the ball we genuinely win.
It was interesting to see Schmidt play on the wing all day which meant Hill played onball. I thought Hill was good as well
Webb is certainly becoming a very good ruckman. I would like to see him spend a bit more time forward where he can use his marking power.
Hartlett who I have been critical of has certainly stepped up in the absence of the Fergy  and Co. Milne has been a very good recruit. He hasn't played a bad game.
Silverlock over the past 2 weeks has impressed and he is class act

My best were Ezard,Beech,MacReadie,Tuck,Silverlock,Hartlett,Green and Webb

For the ressies
I like the way Favretto and Birss played and at least Hardy got through the game. Although he did seem to hurt his groin late in the game
Lachlan

Number of posts : 445

Back to top Go down

Post by Bloodntars on Sat May 24, 2014 8:47 pm

Great reports B&R and Lachlan.

Kurt Thompson a bit stiff to miss out on your best players, Lachlan. He was named best at the club.
Bloodntars

Number of posts : 112

Back to top Go down

Post by TAAARS on Sat May 24, 2014 9:21 pm

A good all round performance today except for the poor kicking for goal. We should have kicked 30+ goals against an insipid Glenelg. They were pathetic. Just watched on as westies did what they wanted. They have got real problems and reminds me of how we were during the Weeds time as coach (and I don't blame him either).
But winners are grinners as the saying goes and we need be switched on against Norwood in 2 weeks to cement ourselves in the top 5. Go Bloods!
TAAARS

Number of posts : 108

Back to top Go down

Post by Second Team on Sat May 24, 2014 10:22 pm

Random thoughts.

1. Watched the reserves and were very impressed with their unselfish attitude around goals and the way they worked as a team.
2. Watched the first quarter of the league and was disgusted with the selfish attitude of our forwards and the complete inability of our players to play a team orientated game. Anyone heard of centering the ball and kicking to someone in a better position. Lucky it was only the first quarter.
3. Smashed them in the ruck and won the clearances. Carter works hard and hits hard.
4. Good to have multiple goal kickers today.
5. Tuck is crazy at every contest.
6. Good to win on Fielkes big day. Well done.
7. Get Hardy in against Norwood.
8. I think the week off will help the team.
9. How's the new million dollar scoreboard.
10. Bring on Norwood.  Shocked  Shocked  Shocked
Second Team

Number of posts : 421

Back to top Go down

Post by Lachlan on Sat May 24, 2014 10:33 pm

Good to hear they Thompson was named best at the club. He did everything right today. He beat Kirkby hands down

If Hardy is fit he will replace Hayes who came off in the third qrt with a bad knee. He was very quiet anyway and looks a long way off is best sadly
Lachlan

Number of posts : 445

Back to top Go down

Post by captainblood on Sun May 25, 2014 9:15 am

Great win, good write ups by everyone.
I agree with a couple of points posters have made.
Early we went far too deep into the pockets and definitely needed to center the ball to the top of the square.
When we play corridor football and play on we are a very effective team.
Maccreadie is the barometer for our team.When he is up and running so are we.
I thought Ezard was best on ground and Silverlock has found a new lease on life.

Backline are a very cohesive unit and I would like to congratulate Hartlett on his discipline and leadership. From afar it looks like he is very vocal and is the one marshaling the troops.

Schmidt is a great team man and exceeds at what ever role he is asked to play.
Beech is a tireless runner and a dangerous forward who always runs hard and spreads to provide an option.

Don't let Norwood set up that wall of players on the centreline. Each player has a man and quick ball movement will get through or over it as long as we don't play too deep.

I liked the new scoreboard, I only ask that other SANFL results are shown at times, small point but then I could see how my bets are going.

We have a nice developing squad, pity one AFL teams is dominating  the comp,made my views known on that before.
We have a future!
Go Bloods
captainblood

Number of posts : 61

Back to top Go down

Post by firstblood on Sun May 25, 2014 10:08 am

Great win yesterday..

Milne.... Very underrated player. Like the way he plays his footy.

Norwood next round...time to strike while the iron is hot. Smile
firstblood

Number of posts : 284
Job/hobbies : The light keeper
Registration date : 2007-11-11

Back to top Go down

Post by LukeO9 on Sun May 25, 2014 11:03 am

Much better, but still not playing well. Up until the last third of the game, most players were still kicking terribly....and I don't mean for goal. Much improved endeavor though.
It was really only from the last half of the 3rd quarter that I thought they could beat Norwood. Hopefully this is the turning point for the season.
LukeO9

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2014-05-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine on Sun May 25, 2014 11:33 am

Great win to the Reserves.

I thought young Will Snelling made a terrific debut at this level, with 29 possessions and 3rd best at the Club.

Nice young player and he makes good decisions.
Lee Harradine

Number of posts : 698
Registration date : 2014-05-24

Back to top Go down

Post by billrobs1 on Sun May 25, 2014 11:42 am

Great report B&R. Thanks

My take aways...
1) Tuck is absolute quality e.g. 3rd qtr!!!!
2) Dare I say it, I think Hartlett is maturing into one of the best defenders in the SANFL. Seems to be taking on his leadership role well and is more disciplined (with the exception of some magnificant jumper punches at the opening bounce)
3) Good to see us perform without such a reliance on Schmidt
4) Ezard is showing more and more glimpses of Magarey Medal form with every game. Very exciting.
5) Webby is now truly a ruckman ... still wouldnt back him 15mt out straight in front of goal though Sad 
6) McCreadie covers a lot of ground and gets heep of the ball. But sending in horizontal drop punts into the forward 50 over and over again makes it bloody hard for those blokes.

Everyone know the Bays are really crap at the moment but its afternoons like this that keep me coming back.
billrobs1

Number of posts : 141
Registration date : 2014-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by testy on Sun May 25, 2014 12:06 pm

That was a great turn around from the week before, completely dominated all day.
Even though we kicked terribly we had control of the ball all day, the opposition were terrible.
So many good players today and with a break for the State game look forward to playing Norwood.
Well done to the B Grade and to the under 18's
testy

Number of posts : 243

Back to top Go down

Post by Second Team on Mon May 26, 2014 3:50 pm

Schmidt offered 2 weeks for hitting a Glenelg guy. WTF. Shocked Shocked Shocked
Second Team

Number of posts : 421

Back to top Go down

Post by Bloodntars on Mon May 26, 2014 4:07 pm

Happened right in front of me and unfortunately he deserves the two weeks.

Some of the tactics by the bay taggers (49, 13, 24, 31) were nothing short of a disgrace.
Bloodntars

Number of posts : 112

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum