Bloods v Legs match report

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Bloods v Legs match report

Post by blackandred on Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:21 pm

On the 70th anniversary of D-Day Norwood and Westies staged their own version with a Dogged, Dour and Defensive contest at Richmond Oval tonight. In the end Norwood won with a 5 goal burst in the first 15 minutes of the last Q after kicking only 2 goals to that point.

In the last 15 encounters between these 2 clubs Westies have won a pathetic 2 games. Our average score against them is around 44 pts. This is a credit to the Legs’ tackling and overall pressure but it is also a reflection on our defensive game plan and lack of key forwards. With the dynamics of both teams changing so much this year it was disappointing to witness a re-run of the last few years.

The game was played in close to perfect conditions with no breeze on a cool evening. Westies lost Ezard to a shoulder niggle but Norwood lost the dangerous Phillips from their named team. Milne, named on a forward flank started in his usual position down back and Keogh, named full back, went forward. The Legs dominated the first Q but kicked poorly. On the other hand Westies couldn’t get the ball into their forward line and managed only one rushed behind. 1Q N 1.4, WA 0.1.

We got our first goal at the 14 minute mark of the second and in a game dominated by defenders at half time these 2 teams had only managed 2 goals between them. The game should have been played at Hindmarsh Stadium! Hartlett, Green, Caire, Silverlock, Thompson, Milne were our best and our few forward attempts were repelled by Bode, McGuinness and the inexperienced Dematteis. Our rucks were ineffective against the groundplay of Dawe and Baulderstone. Half time N 1.8, WA 1.2.

We outscored Norwood in the third with goals to Tuck and Newell. We were starting to get to the ball first and were applying real pressure on Norwood and looking the better team at the last break. 3Q N 2.11, WA 3.3.

Any hope we had of winning was quickly gone as Norwood’s big men dominated the first 15 minutes, cracks were exploited in our defence and they added 5 quick goals after only having kicked 2 for the first 75 minutes of the game. It was all over half way through the quarter although we added 2 goals late, one a great snap from Milne who had been moved forward. Final score N 7.13, WA 5.4.

On reflection Norwood deserved the win. Their poor kicking kept us in the contest. 20 shots to 9 told the story – perhaps we were lucky to get as close as we did. We were gallant and committed but, as usual, against them, we went sideways and backwards as they squeezed the life out of us with their relentless pressure and quality tackling resulting in inevitable turnovers. They had 66 tackles to our 42. Their ruckmen had 31 possessions between them ours had 8 – in fairness we won the hitouts but Norwood won the clearances. We had to play 2 bigs against them but we are a better balanced side when Webb rucks and we have the option of playing a more mobile forward.

Hartlett and Caire were probably our best. In his first game for us Hardy was taken apart by McGuinness but he had few opportunities. He seemed to run out the game OK but left the field during the last Q as more of a precaution. Our best forward, Beech played midfield and back. At the end of Round 9 and we’re still looking for an effective forward combination.

The 2’s lost by a goal, 10.10 to 9.10. Norwood kicked the last goal of the game from a mark that clearly hit the ground first but we had our chances.
blackandred

Number of posts : 110
Registration date : 2013-09-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Bloods v Legs match report

Post by Second Team on Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:28 am

Random thoughts.

1. We have lot's of players that are crap kicks.
2. We have lot's of players that hang onto the ball to long and turn it over regularly.
3. Won the hitouts and got smashed in the clearances.
4. Hardy led all night and I don't think he had it delivered out in front once.
5. Watched the forwards lead to wing area only to see it being chipped 20 m across goals. This ending in tears due to crap kicking.
6. Put Taite on the half backline and let him kick it. He is one of the few that can actually kick well.
7. If Carter is not going to be our second ruck then Keough must play CHF and be the second ruck. He can jump and can play all over the ground.
8. Kicking the ball around 15m in the backline should not get you in the best players.
9. It is easy playing in Westies backline compared to the forward line.
10. West had 23 inside 50's to Norwods 50.
11. Norwood set up their attack from their backline. We chip the ball around 5 times with 15m kicks and turn it over.
12. If Hartlett is going to kick it out from goals let him kick it 60m. At least if we turn it over they have to kick it 2 times to score.
13 Shocked Shocked Shocked
Second Team

Number of posts : 406

Back to top Go down

Post by billrobs1 on Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:08 am

It was a night for thanks...
* to Norwood for keeping us in the game for so long with crap kicking for goal
* to the Bloods defenders for without whom we could have lost by up to 10 goals. Utmost respect to Hartlett and Caire
* to the Norwood supporters, who have a long history of being abusive to players on both sides (they eat their own very quickly!!!). Not last night though.
* to the blonde bloods trainer stationed in the north east corner of the ground. The only true highlight from the match for me!!! Thanks
billrobs1

Number of posts : 138
Registration date : 2014-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Lachlan on Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:58 am

Shocking game of footy last night.
We were never really in the contest.
Hartlett and Caire were excellent.Silverlock also had his moments

We have really struggled to get our best side on the park this  year.

We badly need,Schmidt,Anderson,Bricknell,Birss,Ezard and Still back.
With the running players we have out that impacts on players such as Tuck,MacReadie,Fielke and Beech

Nelson has struggled for form this year. I think the club would like to play Carter 
In a key defensive position however I think he should be given a chance to play 6 
league games in a row in the ruck
Lachlan

Number of posts : 423

Back to top Go down

Post by scorpion on Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:13 pm

I think it is time to try Webb at C/H/F and the 2 ruck men off the bench (Nelson & Carter)

Fielke,Hardy,Hill
Silverlock,Webb,Beech,
Birss,Stevens,Thompson
Green,Keough,Fisher
Caire Hartlett,Milne

Nelson,Tuck,Macreadie

Schiller,Gallard,Carter

I would play Thompson on the Wing(yes on the Wing) his Height and Pace could succeed
If any Players read this forum You better start Playing to stay in the Side
With the Likes of Schimdt,Anderson,Bricknell,Hayes,Still,Ezard, to return over the next Month
scorpion

Number of posts : 255
Registration date : 2013-09-24

Back to top Go down

Post by mr o on Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:48 pm

Another good report from blackandred, I listen to the game on the radio from my home in Mt Gambier, fairdinkem,, we are back in the wilderness, I as a member and supporter of this club do not whant to here any more week excusses as why we are the team that we are, we need players who are going to go out there and play week in and week out for our jumper by putting in 4 quarters
mr o

Number of posts : 16
Job/hobbies : kiln operator/music

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolf Pack on Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:55 pm

The first half was a joke.
For two league teams to have one goal each at half time is simply unbelievable in good conditions.
I have seen better foot skills at High School Football.
At 3 and 6 we are done for 2014......
What a joke
Wolf Pack

Number of posts : 254
Registration date : 2013-09-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Beswick on Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:00 pm

One of the worst spectacles I have seen. Caire, Hartlett were magnificent!
Mark Beswick

Number of posts : 308

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine on Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:36 pm

I filled in as Team Manager for the Under 18's at Norwood today. Although we lost to an inaccurate Norwood by 7 points, we stuck at it all day and finished well.

It was great to see some of our best juniors play well and understand the excitement about some of them. Hugh Haysman kicked 3 and was terrific. I saw Lachie Hentschke in the Reserves last week and he didn't have his best day, but he took several exciting big grabs today. One to really watch is Graham Hampton, an exciting quick forward.

Very enjoyable day, thanks to the 18's coaches and staff.

Lee Harradine

Number of posts : 652
Registration date : 2014-05-24

Back to top Go down

Post by TAAARS on Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:04 pm

I have decided not to attend any more West v Norwood games. They are so boring and defensive I would rather visit the dentist for a filling. Friday nights game was like watching the under 10's play. A rolling scum of 36 players up and down the oval.
NO MORE FOR ME! I just can't watch it anymore sorry.
I also will not watch the next home game against the cheats of Port. Chuck them and the Crows out of our league.
TAAARS

Number of posts : 106

Back to top Go down

Post by captainblood on Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:52 am

For 6 years Norwood has owned us, you would think after all that time the coaches would try something different. I harp on it again and again but we let Norwood set up a defensive wall because we choose to put numbers around the ball. Maybe it's time to realize it ain't working and try something different.
Why can't we man up on their players, one on one. Bode and Mc Guinness just rotated to become the free man all night.
If the players are chasing the ball and are not disciplined enough to stick at their task and stay on their man then give them a rocket.
All I know is this game plan against Norwood will never ever win us a premiership. In my book that means time for a change, if change means we lose by 100 points so be it but we are losing anyway and the games are crap to watch and the result is always the same.

A rethink is needed for Norwood.
captainblood

Number of posts : 61

Back to top Go down

Post by Second Team on Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:58 am

We put numbers behind the ball to help out our backline. What a load of rubbish. Lets start a revolution. How about putting two extra in our forwardlines.  Shocked Shocked Shocked
Second Team

Number of posts : 406

Back to top Go down

Post by scorpion on Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:24 pm

Second Team wrote:We put numbers behind the ball to help out our backline. What a load of rubbish. Lets start a revolution. How about putting two extra in our forwardlines.  Shocked Shocked Shocked

I Like
scorpion

Number of posts : 255
Registration date : 2013-09-24

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian on Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:32 pm

Given Norwood's notorious defensive flood, I thought our plan to avoid playing into their hands by only going inside our forward fifty 23 times was brilliant.
aldo russian

Number of posts : 409

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Beswick on Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:22 pm

I;m starting to think ND v WA games should be banned for bringing the game into disrepute  pirat pirat 
Mark Beswick

Number of posts : 308

Back to top Go down

Post by Lachlan on Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:01 pm

Aldo Russian

Your post was brilliant
Lachlan

Number of posts : 423

Back to top Go down