Bloods v Roosters match report

 :: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Bloods v Roosters match report

Post by blackandred on Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:19 pm

If you were playing a game of footy to decide your season you wouldn’t want to be playing out at Prospect. In the 90 contests these 2 teams have played there Westies have won only 26.

However, if you were playing a game of footy to decide your season you would expect some sort of display that demonstrated you had some vague interest in winning, perhaps some sort of vigour, desire, fight, anything that indicated you simply wanted to win. The scoreline of North 21.10 to Westies 7.7 showed there was only one team that had all this and it wasn’t Westies. Today our club embarrassed itself with an appalling display of lacklustre footy. With the score at half time being 14 goals to 2 you could hardly blame some West supporters who chose to go home.

In a match very similar to the one against Sturt, we were thrashed by an outfit that out-ran, outplayed, out-marked, out-skilled us all day. In that game we kicked 8 goals, last week against Norwood we kicked 5 goals and today 7 goals. You don’t win too many games with scorelines like that.

No Macreadie, Ezard or Schmidt today and we were annihilated at the centre bounces despite winning the hit-outs. Keogh started back and our fwd line consisted of Webb, Still and Hardy. Nelson rucked. We started OK, dominated the first 9 minutes, the time it took us to score our first goal but then North just took over. They kicked the next 6 goals of the Q and then booted 8 in the second Q. We didn’t get our second goal until the 15 min mark of the 2nd Q at which time North led by 40 pts!

It seemed as though every time we kicked the ball it went straight to a North player. Bricknell, Green, Schiller all culprits here. We fumbled, we turned the ball over we gave the ball to a player in no position to receive it, we centred the ball in our backline so when North took the inevitable possession they simply ran into goal. Our decision making was just dreadfull.

Matt Campbell led Daniel Caire a merry dance in the first half and ended the game with 5 goals. Webb started well at CHF but dropped out of the game alarmingly after the first ten minutes. Those who think he is a key forward should consider he averages one contested mark per game this year. Hardy, our full forward, hardly got a touch in 3 Qs and was sent to the backline late in the game. Dijksman was nowhere to be seen, Fisher managed one kick in 100 minutes and all the while we kept kicking it to North players. Two of our key tall forward didn’t bother the scorer all day.

Tuck tried hard to make stuff happen. Beech was his normal reliable self as was Hartlett and Milne. Peter Nelson played his best game for a while and was especially good around the ground. Still, with 7 marks, looked to be our only forward but had to chase the ball down ground. He and Fielke kicked 2 each of our 7 goals. Birss, in his first game of the year did little but at least, when he gets it he delivers the ball with accuracy.

North had 9 players with more than 20 possessions, we had 4. Green sustained, what seemed to be a corked thigh and spent the last Q on the bench and Tuck hurt his arm late in the game.

1900 people at Prospect today. The 2s were similarly thrashed 21.7 to 6.4 so in 2 games today we had 42 goals kicked against us while we managed 13!

So at the conclusion of round 10 we have won 3 games. In 3 of the 10 games we have had 20 or more goals kicked against us. This is a major concern. Next week we play Port. There are few, if any, players that could be promoted from the 2’s, possibly Carter but we are starting to look a little top heavy. Schmidt to return and possibly Ezard and Macreadie back.

The good news is that all this has freed up September so off to book that trip to Bali.
avatar
blackandred

Number of posts : 116
Registration date : 2013-09-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Bloods v Roosters match report

Post by Bloodntars on Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:57 pm

You summed it up brilliantly B&R, except I think you'll find that Macreadie will be out for a number of weeks.

Next week is the first time for a few years I am dreading about going to the footy.
avatar
Bloodntars

Number of posts : 112
Registration date : 2013-09-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Bloods v Roosters match report

Post by billrobs1 on Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:36 pm

Well done B&R Another excellent report.

Tucky and Hartlett put in honest performances again. Both very consistent and worthy of their match fees.

As for the rest.............
avatar
billrobs1

Number of posts : 141
Registration date : 2014-03-26

Back to top Go down

Re: Bloods v Roosters match report

Post by Second Team on Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:39 am

Random thoughts.

1. We are the worst kicking team in the competition.
2. We won the hitouts and the clearances. Didn't seem like it but well done Nelson.
3. If our instruction is to kick across the goals then we need to have better kicks.
4. If we are not willing to dump 3 of our defenders then we need to have a plan that involves kicking the ball down the line in defense.
5. Please come back Chris Schmidt.
6. A tall defender gave up a few contests in the backline yesterday.
7. Webb had 7 marks yesterday Black and No idea, I hope that doesn't wreck your average of 1 contested mark a game.
8. Saw 2 interesting plays yesterday. 1. Green has the ball in the back pockets. Gets a lead from a forward by himself but chooses to kick across goal, turns it over and North scores. 2. Dijksman marks the ball on the 50 in the last quarter and rather than pass of to the leading forward he runs around the man on the mark and kicks the goal.
9. One involves poor skill and judgement and the other involves selfish play. West have lots of examples of this every week.
10. Bring in Schott, Vick, Favretto and Aaron Anderson next week. All can kick a ball which is a good start.  Shocked Shocked Shocked
avatar
Second Team

Number of posts : 416
Registration date : 2013-09-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Bloods v Roosters match report

Post by Bloodntars on Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:55 am

Very harsh on Dijksman ST. What was he supposed to do. He waited for someone to leave and got nothing hence why he had to do something. Kicked the goal.

We haven't had a leading full forward since Bradshaw. Massive worry.
avatar
Bloodntars

Number of posts : 112
Registration date : 2013-09-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Bloods v Roosters match report

Post by bloodline on Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:59 am

Second Team wrote:Random thoughts.

1. We are the worst kicking team in the competition.
2. We won the hitouts and the clearances. Didn't seem like it but well done Nelson.
3. If our instruction is to kick across the goals then we need to have better kicks.
4. If we are not willing to dump 3 of our defenders then we need to have a plan that involves kicking the ball down the line in defense.
5. Please come back Chris Schmidt.
6. A tall defender gave up a few contests in the backline yesterday.
7. Webb had 7 marks yesterday Black and No idea, I hope that doesn't wreck your average of 1 contested mark a game.
8. Saw 2 interesting plays yesterday. 1. Green has the ball in the back pockets. Gets a lead from a forward by himself but chooses to kick across goal, turns it over and North scores. 2. Dijksman marks the ball on the 50 in the last quarter and rather than pass of to the leading forward he runs around the man on the mark and kicks the goal.
9. One involves poor skill and judgement and the other involves selfish play. West have lots of examples of this every week.
10. Bring in Schott, Vick, Favretto and Aaron Anderson next week. All can kick a ball which is a good start.  Shocked Shocked Shocked

You forgot 11... get some one who can coach, this bloke is taking us nowhere.
avatar
bloodline

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2014-06-16

Back to top Go down

Re: Bloods v Roosters match report

Post by BLOODS1892 on Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:08 pm

Very disappointing effort by Westies yesterday. Lacking work rate and unacceptable skill errors costing us time and time again. MUST BE ADDRESSED!!

I agree with many of your "Random thoughts" Second Team - Webb looked very dangerous up forward and was marking everything coming his way, then seem to be ignored as the game went on??? And we certainly need Chris Schmidt back out playing.

I'm interested though to what you mean by "willing to dump 3 of our defenders" - they were heavily under siege yesterday, 53 Inside50s to 35. There were times yesterday, predominantly the 2nd and 3rd quarters, where there were 3 or 4 loose North Adelaide players running into their forward 50 totally unaccounted for, whilst all defenders were accountable for their direct opponent. Surely that comes down to midfield work rate and effort?

Not a good fortnight for the Bloods, very interested to see how they respond this weekend against the Power Reserves.
avatar
BLOODS1892

Number of posts : 2
Location : Adelaide
Job/hobbies : Fishing. Camping. Spending time with grandchildren
Registration date : 2014-06-16

Back to top Go down

Re: Bloods v Roosters match report

Post by Second Team on Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:30 pm

Bloodntars wrote:Very harsh on Dijksman ST. What was he supposed to do. He waited for someone to leave and got nothing hence why he had to do something. Kicked the goal.

We haven't had a leading full forward since Bradshaw. Massive worry.

From where I was we had one forward leading into space and one in the square. He chose to ignore both and play on. What is the point in having three talls if you are not willing to kick it to them. Webb started at CHF , got a few marks and then rucked and got put back at FF.
Hardy who is a proven goal kicker got SFA standing in the square for three quarters. Went to the backlines and got some kicks. Still come down to the back pocket to get a kick.
Get some guys into the group that can kick and play the team game. Shocked Shocked Shocked
avatar
Second Team

Number of posts : 416
Registration date : 2013-09-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Bloods v Roosters match report

Post by redandblack on Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:55 pm

Yesterday was really poor, but I think it comes down to attitude and work rate, which was not acceptable. The tackle stats show that. We also lack real pace and that was shown up.

As for Dijksman, I thought it showed initiative and I'm loath to criticise a young player for kicking a goal, but I'm not a coach, so I'll leave that call to them.

I agree that Aaron Anderson should be strongly considered and is also a good kick. I don't think the form of the other 3 ST mentioned is worthy of selection just yet.

I also agree with ST about Peter Nelson, thought it was his best game for the Club. Although we won the clearances, we were smashed in the centre clearances in the first half and our midfielders were blitzed by North's.

Lot of thoughtful comments there, ST, but B&R's reports are eagerly awaited and I don't think he deserves name-calling.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Kick the thing backwards.
avatar
redandblack

Number of posts : 210
Registration date : 2011-11-20

Back to top Go down

Re: Bloods v Roosters match report

Post by Second Team on Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:17 pm

My thoughts on Dijksman are not meant to be critical. It is supposed to highlight the fact that if you bring the ball into the forward 50 and then don't kick it to the forwards then the forward line will never function. Good on the kid for kicking a goal but that might have been more about getting a stat than playing team football.
Hardy and Still are good forwards. Webby is a lead up CHF. Play to our strengths and we might stand a chance.  Shocked Shocked Shocked
avatar
Second Team

Number of posts : 416
Registration date : 2013-09-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Bloods v Roosters match report

Post by redandblack on Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:26 pm

Fair enough.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Kick the thing backwards.
avatar
redandblack

Number of posts : 210
Registration date : 2011-11-20

Back to top Go down

Re: Bloods v Roosters match report

Post by loppy19 on Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:37 pm

Serious question to you all.
Do you think that the club/ board have focused on issues outside of the football department to heavily to the detriment of the team?
I mean oval upgrades look great, website, etc. is all good, but we obviously have not replaced the defenders we lost or the coach we lost and I reckon that if we have money for scoreboards etc., then that money needs to be spent on recruitment and development because that is what is going to increase crowds.
No point having the best oval/facilities if we are regularly going to kick 2 goals in a half on a regular basis.....
avatar
loppy19

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2013-09-30

Back to top Go down

Re: Bloods v Roosters match report

Post by BLOODS1892 on Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:02 pm

loppy19 wrote:Serious question to you all.
Do you think that the club/ board have focused on issues outside of the football department to heavily to the detriment of the team?
I mean oval upgrades look great, website, etc. is all good, but we obviously have not replaced the defenders we lost or the coach we lost and I reckon that if we have money for scoreboards etc., then that money needs to be spent on recruitment  and development because that is what is going to increase crowds.
No point having the best oval/facilities if we are regularly going to kick 2 goals in a half on a regular basis.....

Good call lobby.

From an outsiders perspective who has followed Westies closely these past few years it appears we are lacking the quality from previous years, especially in the defensive half (Tippett/Ferguson). We'd be doing well though to replace those two with similar quality players. Having said that, they must have left a fair gap in the salary cap... A very good point you make though.

I believe our forward line has some real quality about it - Hardy/Webb/Still, some of the best big men in the competition - and with Beech, Fielke, Stevens playing up there also, there is some real potency about it. We just aren't capable at the moment in getting it to them efficiently. Our midfield is lacking, we're missing the mature bodies of Schmidt and MacReadie at the moment, and the loss of Tyson Slattery this season has been underestimated I think.

Plenty to ponder.

On a side note, I've only just come across this forum and think it's a great place for supporters and followers of the WAFC to give their opinions and feedback. Well done to whoever started it.
avatar
BLOODS1892

Number of posts : 2
Location : Adelaide
Job/hobbies : Fishing. Camping. Spending time with grandchildren
Registration date : 2014-06-16

Back to top Go down

Re: Bloods v Roosters match report

Post by Second Team on Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:16 pm

SANFL site.' Recovery session' shows you why we are not playing well.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Kick it forward. It's the new game plan.
avatar
Second Team

Number of posts : 416
Registration date : 2013-09-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Bloods v Roosters match report

Post by scorpion on Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:06 pm

My View

The club has no Money
We need a BIG CLEAN OUT from the Committee to coach and players  
We can only recruit  unnamed players  not like the Eagles (top tier players)
Our coach is be hind the times We need a Discipline Coach,Some one who puts SKILLS on top of his list So he can TELL the JNR coaches to ADD that to their Training so when they reach B grade or A grade that's the last thing he has to worry about  
1/2 of our players are not up to it
We are the WORST SKILLED SIDE in the SANFL
PS
I have LOST my enthusiasm to go and watch the RABBLE they dish up
Next year I don't think I will Renew my M/Ship

Angry Scorp
avatar
scorpion

Number of posts : 255
Registration date : 2013-09-24

Back to top Go down

Re: Bloods v Roosters match report

Post by testy on Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:24 pm

bloodline wrote:
Second Team wrote:Random thoughts.

1. We are the worst kicking team in the competition.
2. We won the hitouts and the clearances. Didn't seem like it but well done Nelson.
3. If our instruction is to kick across the goals then we need to have better kicks.
4. If we are not willing to dump 3 of our defenders then we need to have a plan that involves kicking the ball down the line in defense.
5. Please come back Chris Schmidt.
6. A tall defender gave up a few contests in the backline yesterday.
7. Webb had 7 marks yesterday Black and No idea, I hope that doesn't wreck your average of 1 contested mark a game.
8. Saw 2 interesting plays yesterday. 1. Green has the ball in the back pockets. Gets a lead from a forward by himself but chooses to kick across goal, turns it over and North scores. 2. Dijksman marks the ball on the 50 in the last quarter and rather than pass of to the leading forward he runs around the man on the mark and kicks the goal.
9. One involves poor skill and judgement and the other involves selfish play. West have lots of examples of this every week.
10. Bring in Schott, Vick, Favretto and Aaron Anderson next week. All can kick a ball which is a good start.  Shocked Shocked Shocked

You forgot 11... get some one who can coach, this bloke is taking us nowhere.

10 weeks into the season and you want to change the coach. Rolling Eyes 
avatar
testy

Number of posts : 243
Location : Golden Grove
Registration date : 2013-09-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Bloods v Roosters match report

Post by aldo russian on Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:23 pm

I can now see the wisdom of spending $120,000 on a video scoreboard, because if we're regularly going to kick only 1 or 2 goals in a half of footy, we need to be able to watch those rare gems over and over.
avatar
aldo russian

Number of posts : 428
Registration date : 2013-09-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Bloods v Roosters match report

Post by bloodline on Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:31 pm

testy wrote:
bloodline wrote:
Second Team wrote:Random thoughts.

1. We are the worst kicking team in the competition.
2. We won the hitouts and the clearances. Didn't seem like it but well done Nelson.
3. If our instruction is to kick across the goals then we need to have better kicks.
4. If we are not willing to dump 3 of our defenders then we need to have a plan that involves kicking the ball down the line in defense.
5. Please come back Chris Schmidt.
6. A tall defender gave up a few contests in the backline yesterday.
7. Webb had 7 marks yesterday Black and No idea, I hope that doesn't wreck your average of 1 contested mark a game.
8. Saw 2 interesting plays yesterday. 1. Green has the ball in the back pockets. Gets a lead from a forward by himself but chooses to kick across goal, turns it over and North scores. 2. Dijksman marks the ball on the 50 in the last quarter and rather than pass of to the leading forward he runs around the man on the mark and kicks the goal.
9. One involves poor skill and judgement and the other involves selfish play. West have lots of examples of this every week.
10. Bring in Schott, Vick, Favretto and Aaron Anderson next week. All can kick a ball which is a good start.  Shocked Shocked Shocked

You forgot 11... get some one who can coach, this bloke is taking us nowhere.

10 weeks into the season and you want to change the coach. Rolling Eyes 

10 weeks in with 3 wins and 7 losses, 2 of them close to 100 pt beltings and you find that acceptable?
avatar
bloodline

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2014-06-16

Back to top Go down

Re: Bloods v Roosters match report

Post by redandblack on Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:53 pm

I must go back and look for the many, many posts calling for the sacking of Andy Collins at various times  Very Happy

I suppose we could sack the Coach and the Board, even though the Coach is new and half the Board is new.  But if you want that, then you should be prepared to sack a 5 time Club Champion, after a late start,  after 10 games.  You can then raise the money to pay Mark's 2 year contract out, but only after raising enough money to cover the countrywide downturn in pokies income, etc.  You can then raise the substantial amount of money that the President and a Board member have put in to repay them after you sack them.

You can then raise enough money to recruit expensive players in competition with the wealthier clubs and then put in the enormous time given to meet the numerous commitments, including country zone visits.

Don't get me wrong, Scorps, you're a true Bloods man, I admire and respect you totally and I understand you're hurting, we all are, but things get done better with some positive ideas rather than sacking the Coach and the Board and the volunteers.

The question has been asked about the scoreboard expenditure.  That's a very good question.

I'll be there next Sunday regardless.  I may not enjoy it much, hopefully I do, but I'll be there.
avatar
redandblack

Number of posts : 210
Registration date : 2011-11-20

Back to top Go down

Re: Bloods v Roosters match report

Post by Mark Beswick on Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:34 pm

Advertising sold on the SB is a revenue stream offsets the investment per game.
avatar
Mark Beswick

Number of posts : 309
Registration date : 2013-09-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Bloods v Roosters match report

Post by simon_r on Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:10 pm

Hello my fellow Bloods supporters.

I have a couple of concerns right now, aside from our losses.

We have a significant number of injuries atm and we also lost a significant portion of our senior playing group at the end of last season. These are given facts but my concern is why on earth did we have players having much needed surgery in December/Janurary? Why so late? Other clubs rush their players into surgery immediately following the seasons end. Who was supervising this side of things? Too many players had limited pre seasons or went into the season in poor or average condition due to injuries from last season.

Also, I heard Chris on the radio on Sunday, saying that he and other senior players are regularly speaking with Andy. Who is initiating this contact and what sort of influence is this having on our playing group? This is a big concern in my opinion.

Go Bloods!
avatar
simon_r

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2014-06-16

Back to top Go down

Re: Bloods v Roosters match report

Post by redandblack on Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:53 am

Welcome, Simon.

Your comments about late surgery are correct, IMO and illustrate what I have been saying about the problems caused by the unavoidable gap between Andy Collins leaving and Mark Mickan starting. IMO this put Mark at a grave disadvantage and put the start of the season at risk. It shouldn't have happened and won't happen again.

I don't see any problem with a few players keeping in touch with Andy Collins. He coached us for 6 years and made a lot of friends. I still keep in touch with him, but just on a friendly catch up basis.

We certainly need to respond to our last game, though.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Kick the thing backwards.
avatar
redandblack

Number of posts : 210
Registration date : 2011-11-20

Back to top Go down

Re: Bloods v Roosters match report

Post by bloodline on Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:09 am

redandblack wrote:I must go back and look for the many, many posts calling for the sacking of Andy Collins at various times  Very Happy

I suppose we could sack the Coach and the Board, even though the Coach is new and half the Board is new.  But if you want that, then you should be prepared to sack a 5 time Club Champion, after a late start,  after 10 games.  You can then raise the money to pay Mark's 2 year contract out, but only after raising enough money to cover the countrywide downturn in pokies income, etc.  You can then raise the substantial amount of money that the President and a Board member have put in to repay them after you sack them.

You can then raise enough money to recruit expensive players in competition with the wealthier clubs and then put in the enormous time given to meet the numerous commitments, including country zone visits.

Don't get me wrong, Scorps, you're a true Bloods man, I admire and respect you totally and I understand you're hurting, we all are, but things get done better with some positive ideas rather than sacking the Coach and the Board and the volunteers.

The question has been asked about the scoreboard expenditure.  That's a very good question.

I'll be there next Sunday regardless.  I may not enjoy it much, hopefully I do, but I'll be there.

Redandblack, you keep harping on how Mickan was a 5 times club champion, well that means squiddly squat when it come to coaching.
Ask Russell Ebert a 4 time Magarey medalist who got sacked from Port in favor of Cahill.
I respect Mickan for his achievements on the field in his playing days but it doesn't mean he will be a great coach. He was sacked from Glenelg, why?

I'm not saying sack him mid season, that would be stupid. Evaluate our season at the end, if we are sitting bottom 3 then questions must be asked, another season like this one would be devastating.

avatar
bloodline

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2014-06-16

Back to top Go down

Re: Bloods v Roosters match report

Post by redandblack on Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:10 am

Thanks bloodline, I agree with you that we shouldn't sack a coach after 10 games in his first season and I agree his performance should be evaluated at the end of the year, so no problem.

Aas for the 5 times club champion, I'm merely saying, as you agree, that it would be wrong to sack a club legend after 10 games, on 2 really poor performances.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Kick the thing backwards.
avatar
redandblack

Number of posts : 210
Registration date : 2011-11-20

Back to top Go down

Re: Bloods v Roosters match report

Post by testy on Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:20 pm

bloodline wrote:
testy wrote:
bloodline wrote:
Second Team wrote:Random thoughts.

1. We are the worst kicking team in the competition.
2. We won the hitouts and the clearances. Didn't seem like it but well done Nelson.
3. If our instruction is to kick across the goals then we need to have better kicks.
4. If we are not willing to dump 3 of our defenders then we need to have a plan that involves kicking the ball down the line in defense.
5. Please come back Chris Schmidt.
6. A tall defender gave up a few contests in the backline yesterday.
7. Webb had 7 marks yesterday Black and No idea, I hope that doesn't wreck your average of 1 contested mark a game.
8. Saw 2 interesting plays yesterday. 1. Green has the ball in the back pockets. Gets a lead from a forward by himself but chooses to kick across goal, turns it over and North scores. 2. Dijksman marks the ball on the 50 in the last quarter and rather than pass of to the leading forward he runs around the man on the mark and kicks the goal.
9. One involves poor skill and judgement and the other involves selfish play. West have lots of examples of this every week.
10. Bring in Schott, Vick, Favretto and Aaron Anderson next week. All can kick a ball which is a good start.  Shocked Shocked Shocked

You forgot 11... get some one who can coach, this bloke is taking us nowhere.

10 weeks into the season and you want to change the coach. Rolling Eyes 

10 weeks in with 3 wins and 7 losses, 2 of them close to 100 pt beltings and you find that acceptable?

Not at all, but I am not one to want a change in the senior coach's rank 10 weeks into a season.
avatar
testy

Number of posts : 243
Location : Golden Grove
Registration date : 2013-09-25

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 :: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum