Bloods v Power reserves match report

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Bloods v Power reserves match report Empty Bloods v Power reserves match report

Post by blackandred on Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:17 pm

So what do you do when you’re second to bottom on the table, have lost 3 of your last 4 games and have kicked only 5 and 7 goals in your last two outings? Come out and beat the top team, undefeated in the last 9 rounds and that’s what Westies did today.

In a strange game of footy we outplayed a disinterested Port Power reserves outfit lacking a couple of key AFL players but still with around 14 AFL listed players on the park. Not only did we beat them but we did it with only 19 fit men with little or no interchange flexibility in the crucial last Q. Well done to all concerned in what was arguably the upset of the SANFL season to date.

You wouldn’t have picked the result at the end of the first Q. After we dominated the first ten minutes, having numerous set shots for goal and wasting chances the Power reserves slipped easily into top gear, slotted 5 majors and at the first break the scoreboard told the story: PR 5.1, WA 1.5.

When the Power added another at the 2 minute mark of the second and were 26pts up things were looking decidedly grim for the home side. We were falling into error, wasting the ball, making poor decisions with both hand and foot and what we were all expecting to happen was unfolding. Wrong! Fielke slotted one at the 7 min mark followed by goals to Birss, Beech, Hill and Dijksman. We had 5 for the Q and at the long break were in front 6.8 to PR 6.4!! Michael Still had left the ground injured at some stage and we were down our key forward but we started winning the centre with Nelson giving off to the likes of Stevens, Hill, Tuck and Schmidt and our ‘mosquito fleet’ was cleaning up in front of goal.

The third was a slog. Both teams added 4 majors apiece as the Power ressies threw everything at us. We defended as best we could but fell into error. Five times at least we kicked it out on the full in our backline handing possession to the Power. A few dicey frees in front brought them back into the game and at the last break scores were locked at 10.8 apiece. Hartlett left the ground after falling heavily. He didn’t look flash but eventually jogged off but went straight down the ramp for treatment.

19 fit men going into the last against a fit AFL reserves outfit. Would we run out of legs? Who would stand up when the chips were down? Again the in and under players rose to the challenge. Dijksman was cool, Stevens was dominating the clearances and Fielke took on the role of key forward. He slotted his first goal at the 2 minute mark and his second at the 7 minute mark. Goals to Fisher, Dijksman and a third to Fielke had us 5 goals up by the 17 minute mark without a reply from the top team and an improbable result looked likely. The PR added 2 late but when the siren sounded at the 25 min mark we had pulled off a magnificent win by 17pts. WA 15.8, PR 12.9.

We won the ruck all day but it was our smaller brigade that carried the day. Unsung players like Hill and Stevens were magnificent. Fielke kicked 4 and Dijksman 3. Beech and Tuck were everywhere. Schmidt picked up a million touches but can sometimes waste the ball by moving it backwards rather than forwards. Caire was terrific as was Green and Silverlock.

This was a win of great courage and endeavour rather than skill. We made mistakes but we kept at the contest all day and in the end justice was done. The Power reserves were brittle when we put them under pressure and, unlike Westies, had no-one prepared to stand up when it counted. They played as individuals, we played as a team.

We lost the Ressies narrowly, 13.3 to 14.5, by 8
blackandred
blackandred

Number of posts : 171

Back to top Go down

Bloods v Power reserves match report Empty Re: Bloods v Power reserves match report

Post by Thiele on Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:08 pm

Great win by the Boys

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
2015 PREMIERS. GO BLOODS
Thiele
Thiele

Number of posts : 528

Back to top Go down

Bloods v Power reserves match report Empty Re: Bloods v Power reserves match report

Post by billrobs1 on Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:24 pm

Well done MM.

You stood up this week with your last coaches report and took responsibility for previous results. Whilst the right thing to do as the leader it takes guts and earns respect.

You also proved today that despite all the talk about injuries and a disrupted preseason we still have a list that can be very competitive when switched on.

I really hope you can regain momentum from today and keep the boys up for the coming weeks.
billrobs1
billrobs1

Number of posts : 142

Back to top Go down

Post by captainblood on Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:29 pm

Thanks Blackandred for the write up. I've been away for two weeks so it looks like I've missed the worst and best of Westies.
Todays game must have been a ripper I'll read all the posts that come on here with interest.

When i got back I went on this website to see what the opposition thought of the game.
Don't think they think much of us at all.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/west-adelaide-vs-port-adelaide-round-11-richmond.1066926/

Great win !
Go Bloods
captainblood
captainblood

Number of posts : 61

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by firstblood on Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:42 am

Second Team wrote:
10. Whoever turned the lights on today was 30 minutes too late.
Well there's not that many lights left that still work ST.. With another bulb exploding the other night at training...makes it about 5 lights that don't work  Very Happy 

firstblood
firstblood

Number of posts : 357
Job/hobbies : The light keeper

Back to top Go down

Post by Lachlan on Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:21 am

We needed to respond and we did in the best possible way.
It was our best effort for the year.
Our disposals let us down at times yesterday but it would good to see our midfielders
Finding plenty of the ball.
Schmidt BOG by the length of the Flemington straight.
I also thought Beech,Silverlock,Hill,Birss and Stevens were also very good and Caire and Bricknell sound in defence.
We are a high kicking team and need to recruit a couple of quality midfielders with pace and who can use the ball by foot
It was good to see our midfielders run both ways yesterday.

We are a much better side when Michael Still plays however he never gets on the park long enough

Last edited by Lachlan on Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lachlan
Lachlan

Number of posts : 642

Back to top Go down

Post by redandblack on Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:29 am

Conditions out on the ground were difficult with the strong breeze, which led to both sides kicking poorly at times, but I thought our short kicking was often very effective in opening up space, allowing us to attack. Some of our goals, especially in the second quarter, came from terrific ball movement.

Schmidt not only adds class to our team, but also leadership.

The main plus out of the game was the different work rate and attitude. Our pressure led to many Port turnovers and poor decisions.

We won't get such a ruck dominance against other teams , but Peter Nelson has played two really good games in a row now.

I also think Scott Bricknell is very under-rated. He gives us that run and carry we need.

Great win, we just need to bring that attitude every week.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Kick the thing backwards.
redandblack
redandblack

Number of posts : 210

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian on Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:14 am

Can anyone think of a bigger upset that we've pulled off? In 45 years I can't recall us winning a game that we were less likely/favoured to win in the lead up.
aldo russian
aldo russian

Number of posts : 759

Back to top Go down

Post by firstblood on Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:11 am

aldo russian wrote:Can anyone think of a bigger upset that we've pulled off? In 45 years I can't recall us winning a game that we were less likely/favoured to win in the lead up.
We knocked off Port at Alberton round 17, 1979...scores were.. West 19 - 13 d Port 18 -15. The lead changed several times in the last quarter.
We won 8 games that year under Trevor Hughes and finished 10th (wooden spooners) Port went on to defeat South in the Grand final.
firstblood
firstblood

Number of posts : 357
Job/hobbies : The light keeper

Back to top Go down

Post by loppy19 on Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:39 am

Had $10 bet on us at $10 for the win. Unexpected win on that front as well!
loppy19
loppy19

Number of posts : 60

Back to top Go down

Post by Bloodntars on Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:12 pm

aldo russian wrote:Can anyone think of a bigger upset that we've pulled off? In 45 years I can't recall us winning a game that we were less likely/favoured to win in the lead up.

Back in the Weed days we beat Port at Alberton. They were top, we were bottom. Something like 13.22 to 9.7. Completely dominated. Pretty sure it was 1 of only 2 or 3 games we won that year.

On yesterday, while it was great to win, it just doesn't feel right. Port's best ruckman who carved us up at Alberton spent most of the game at full back and Danny Butcher getting a game, well he'd struggle to make our reserves side.

Our skill level was poor again but instead of standing there sulking about it like last week, we went back and did our best to get the ball. Bricknell would have broken a record for out on the fulls if they kept a stat for that.

Schmidt makes a massive difference and we need to make sure him and Hartlett are on the field each and every week.
Bloodntars
Bloodntars

Number of posts : 117

Back to top Go down

Post by redandblack on Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:28 pm

loppy19 wrote:Had $10 bet on us at $10 for the win. Unexpected win on that front as well!

Hope you gave the coach some of it, mate  Very Happy 
redandblack
redandblack

Back to top Go down

Post by bundy on Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:40 pm

We played a very average side yesterday but credit where credit is due the players still beat them.Well done.
bundy
bundy

Number of posts : 377
Job/hobbies : Lawn Bowls

Back to top Go down

Post by redandblack on Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:50 pm

That average side hadn't lost a game since Round 1, Bundy.

redandblack
redandblack

Back to top Go down

Post by loppy19 on Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:37 pm

R&B, I figure the coach still owes me for the tripe dished up against North Smile
loppy19
loppy19

Number of posts : 60

Back to top Go down

Post by redandblack on Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:26 pm

Fair enough, happy to call it square, then  Very Happy 

redandblack
redandblack

Back to top Go down

Post by testy on Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:29 pm

bundy wrote:We played a very average side yesterday but credit where credit is due the players still beat them.Well done.

If we played a "very average side" Bundy why did you tip them to win by 123 points on another site ?
testy
testy

Number of posts : 243

Back to top Go down

Post by mr o on Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:33 pm

credit were credit is due, a good win for the club, now if we can just string a couple more in a row, and build some confidence, that would be the next step
mr o
mr o

Number of posts : 22
Job/hobbies : kiln operator/music

Back to top Go down

Post by bundy on Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:31 pm

I did that without seeing there side and going on past performances we were average.And i still think the puffs side was below the usual standard of players they play,go on lee or r&b go back through this season to prove me wrong thats ok,i have a very thick skin up to a point.
bundy
bundy

Number of posts : 377
Job/hobbies : Lawn Bowls

Back to top Go down

Post by redandblack on Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:24 pm

I'm not interested in trying to prove you wrong, mate.

I just hope that one day you'll tip us to win, instead of having us losing by huge margins and be happy when we do win.

redandblack
redandblack

Back to top Go down

Post by billrobs1 on Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:50 pm

Now that the euphoria has settled I can't help but ask how is it we can perform so differently from one week to the next with "relatively" the same list.

I notice, like myself a number of other forum members are "hoping" we continue this form. Not really knowing what team is going to play next week.

Why is it we are so inconsistent???? This frustrates me the most about this season so far.
billrobs1
billrobs1

Back to top Go down

Post by redandblack on Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:14 pm

That's a very good question. Thinking about it, we've only won 4 of 11 matches, which isn't good enough, but our form hasn't been as bad as that, IMO.

What has killed us has been a few awful quarters or halves. One quarter at Alberton, the last quarter against North at City Mazda, a terrible first half at Unley and an even worse 40 minutes at Prospect. In each case, we played a respectable second half instead of totally capitulating.

You can't make finals if you have these sort of performances, though, so we can't afford to have them again this season.

Injury and suspension wrecked the first 3 games of the season and I think we've really felt the loss of Scott Bricknell and esoecially Chris Schmidt for the North game.

We're clearly good enough, but your question is the key one, billrobs.

Wish we knew the answer.

redandblack
redandblack

Back to top Go down

Post by billrobs1 on Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:46 pm

Some great facts there r&b and on reflection you are certainly right.

I guess we have to the ask the fundamental question of when a team loses momentum in a game is it the coaches or the players who take the primary responsibility to stem the tide and try and turn the game??

My view the coach. It is great to develop a more attacking game but Could it be that MM struggles to develop a Plan B when required?
billrobs1
billrobs1

Back to top Go down

Post by redandblack on Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:05 pm

I think we might have seen Plan B once or twice on Sunday.

Training was also changed after the Prospect game, so I do credit Mark for those things.

However, the main thing is that the players responded and the credit goes to them.

redandblack
redandblack

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum