Bloods v Dogs match report

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Bloods v Dogs match report

Post by blackandred on Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:06 pm

After playing some great footy over the last few weeks against some quality opposition, the Bloods today went out to Elizabeth to play the lowly Dogs. In a game strangely lacking in atmosphere Westies struggled to kick a winning score and were well beaten 13.11 to 8.8.

Our forward system is letting us down. We had 8 individual goal kickers. We started with our 2 key tall forwards, Hardy and Webb, who havnít kicked a goal between them all year Ė Iím happy to be corrected on this rather startling fact (and Iím sure I will if itís incorrect). The only forward who looks dangerous is Aaron Fielke and he is 184cm tall. We keep kicking the ball forward and the opposition keep kicking it back as we struggle to even hold the ball in the area let alone take a mark.

On the enormous Ponderosa we couldnít find any clear space as Centrals harassed and forced us into error. The tackle count of 57 to 31 demonstrates how we were slow to dispose of the ball and suspect against genuine pressure. They dominated us in the air, taking 130 marks to our 87.

Having said all this we were still in with a chance in the last Q as Centrals poor kicking had kept us in the game. We started the last Q with Webb in ruck, looked a lot better, dominated the first 15 minutes but only managed 1.4 until Webb snapped a goal from the pack at the 13 minute mark and we were only 14pts down. Centrals then kicked 2 quick goals and added a few more late to run our easy winners.

Travis Tuck was probably our best again. His endeavour and commitment cannot be faulted. He gives his all but never seems to be 100% fit. Beech was probably second best but is playing too far up the ground. Schmidt had a quiet one, he played in the forward line for periods of today. Keogh continues to improve. He played back for most of the game and took 7 marks. Silverlock was impressive, kicked our last goal but is limited on his right side.

Durdin played in the 2ís. Itís hard to understand the selectors thinking in even naming him. We were never going to start with 3 talls on a big ground when there was a chance of rain. They also need to make a decision soon on who will be our ruckman. Webb plays his best footy in ruck but Nelson has played quite well of late although he had a poor game today.

If we can get Macreadie back Beech can play forward. If we could get Michael Still, Mason Middleton, Beech and Fielke together up forward we might have a chance. The boom recruits, Hardy and Hayes, have had interrupted seasons but their efforts have been modest to say the least. Hayes played in the 2ís today and Hardy managed 2 kicks and one mark in the main match.

Sturt next week and itís looking like we will have only 5 wins from 14 games.

The 2ís had a great win. They hit the front late in the game to Ďstealí a tight contest after looking well beaten. Well done to them for persisting to the end, WA 11.7, CD 9.12.

blackandred

Number of posts : 116
Registration date : 2013-09-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Bloods v Dogs match report

Post by redandblack on Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:45 pm

That sums it up well, b&r.

I thought our work rate droped off alarmingly in the second and third quarters, especially when we saw Central having numbers to the contest and pressuring us, then having loose players after we turned it over. We really seem to need some leg speed through the middle and not having effective key forwards is maling the job really tough. On top of that, one or two of our 'stalwart' players are struggling a bit recently.

The defence holds up pretty well, with Shannon Green, Hartlett and Keough in good form, although Harts still needs to tidy up one aspect of his game.

I agree with you about Travis Tuck. If everyone replicated his approach, we'd be a tough side to beat and he was very good.

Good to see Ryan Anderson back in the 2's and Nick Favretto again in the best players.

The results for South and Norwood helped us, but we wasted the opportunity that provided.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Kick the thing backwards.
redandblack

Number of posts : 210
Registration date : 2011-11-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolf Pack on Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:42 pm

Another ordinary performance.
We have not won a game away from home which really is piss weak..
Let's hope our recruiting is better next year.
Central let Hayes and Hardy go for a reason. They are finished at SANFL level. It was a mistake picking them up. They offer nothing to the team.
A few players need to take a leaf out of Tuck's book.

Wolf Pack

Number of posts : 261
Registration date : 2013-09-27

Back to top Go down

Post by TAAARS on Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:40 pm

I think the comments from the above posters are kind to say the least. With our season on the line, against the second to bottom side we put up a performance like that....in a word, pathetic.
Our season is now gone. From grand finalists only 2 years ago to second bottom because that is where we will finish,if we are lucky. Just like under Rhen. We suffer from the St Kilda disease, near enough is good enough and we members and supporters just accept it as normal.
Time for a massive cleanout. From top to bottom. The last few games of the year lets see who is worth keeping or not. Otherwise we are in for another few years of cellar dwelling. Will we have any supporters left after that?
TAAARS

Number of posts : 107

Back to top Go down

Post by Second Team on Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:01 pm

Random thoughts.

1. What a load of crap. The backline is our problem. How many kicks does it take to get it out of the backline. 5 x 20m kicks and then we turn it over. Quick ball movement is not a high priority at West. Loose man in defense from the first bounce. Great work.
2. "Not having effective key forwards" Hardy was the leading goal kicker two years ago. They are probably buggered from running to one side of the ground and then turning around and running to the otherside.
3. Who the hell was on Goodrem. Any chance our loose man could pick him up.
4. Do we actually work at kicking the ball out from goal. Atrocious.
5. This year is shot. Time to bring in 4-5 guys from the reserves.
6. Won the hitouts and the clearances.
7. I saw a girl in the mini league take the ball out from the ruck tap and kick it straight down the middle. Sign her up.
8. With all the stats at your disposal you should at least know that Webby has kicked some goals this year when not playing first ruck B&R. I don't know if you are being mischievous or you really are that stupid.
9. Hardy and Webby to the backlines next week. They can at least kick it to themselves next week and get some good stats. Keough and Harts to go forward and ruck. Now that sounds like a plan.
10. Time to take a stand and change things around. This year is nearly over. Play Durdin, Favretto , Schott, Vick and Carter. These are all good young players that just need a chance.
11. Well done to Beechy and Tuck today. Great attack on the football. †Shocked††Shocked††Shocked

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Kick it forward. It's the new game plan.
Second Team

Number of posts : 416

Back to top Go down

Post by redandblack on Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:15 pm

ST, just another friendly warning that we shouldn't have to ask you to stop abusing posters. B&R is anything but stupid and is entitled to his opinion.

As for the players you want to bring up, Favretto must be close as a back flanker. Sam Durdin's form today was inderstandably pretty average, as often happens straight after the 18's championships for young players.

Harry Vick will be a good player for us, but I'd think he needs a few more good games before league selection.

redandblack

Back to top Go down

Post by redandblack on Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:16 pm

Today was poor for such an important game. But we've just come off wins against Port and Adelaide, so why didn't you call for a cleanout after those wins, TAAARS?

Who would you clean out?

Anything constructive?

My opinion is that our start to the season gave the new coach a raw deal, not helped by having no key forwards most of the year. †We lack pace and a couple of fit, big forwards and that finds out the players in some games.

As far as recruiting goes, it would be nice to have a big budget for that,but it doesn't guarantee success. †The biggest recruiters this year were Glenelg, who paid a fortune to get Lonergan, Joseph and Thorp.

Hows that going so far?

redandblack

Back to top Go down

Post by Second Team on Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:33 pm

Who was on Goodrem. 5 goals . Get him to the club.†ShockedShockedShocked

Kick it forward. It's the new game plan.
Second Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Lachlan on Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:20 am

I have stated for many weeks that the problem started during pre season. There were far too many players having ops late in the preseason. I don't no why that happened.

I have also said we lack pace through the midfield and we need to find 2 players that can run and carry the ball and have good foot skills.

Brad Hebig I think will get delisted and hopefully he will join us. Mind you he is more of a inside mid.but he would be a good pick up

We have lacked a key forward for far too many years and we need to find one in the off season.†
Michael Still could be that player but he is injured all the time. We look better when he plays.

Webby is our number 1 ruckman however he has been playing forward due to injuries to Still,Middleton

I would promote. R. Anderson,A. Anderson and Favretto next week

I think Schiller needs to be sent back to the ressies. I don't think Caire is fit.
Lachlan

Number of posts : 440

Back to top Go down

Post by redandblack on Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:57 am

Good thoughts, lachlan.

redandblack

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian on Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:24 am

For an experienced side, which we are, and one with recent finals experience too, we have put up some alarmingly poor performances in 'crunch' games this year. Having 40 fewer possessions than them and laying only about half as many tackles is also an incongruous and worrying combination.

I agree with looking at a couple of kids at League level now, but I'd be looking at kids like Carter ahead of Durdin. Games for Carter now is an investment that could produce a return, playing Durdin is no help to us for next year at all.

aldo russian

Number of posts : 428

Back to top Go down

Post by billrobs1 on Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:27 am

This is the most frustrating season I think I have ever experienced.

All year I have read about a disrupted preseason and injuries etc etc etc. Yet recently I have witnessed us beat the top team and a vastly improved Crows team. This year I have also seen us have bursts of magnificent, exciting and skilled football.

I admit I did not travel to Elizabeth this week (probably for personal security) but from what I read we had yet another fade out!!!! Who is accountable for developing a team which is so psychologically brittle you dont know what team is going to turn out from one quarter to the next.

We are a bottom 2 team in 2014 and I am really struggling with it.

A small part of this dismal result might be because of a disrupted preseason, injuries and some interesting recruits but I am now firmly of the view we simply do not have a coach which is capable of generating a consistent result.

PS...ST I always enjoy the style of your review albeit there is generally a theme during each season. I 100% agree with your comments on overuse of the footy.

PSS....I think Goodrem would be a great inclusion into the club if just to get his sister to come back to the bar post game occasionally!!
billrobs1

Number of posts : 141
Registration date : 2014-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Lachlan on Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:44 am

As ' Aldo Russian ' has said we are a very experienced out fit probably the most experienced in the league and the most alarmingly aspect this year is the lack of two way running by our players at times during some matches.
Our tackling stats are well done on previous years

†I do think pre season has a significant impact on the way you play during the year and players such as Justin Hardy didn't do a pre season so I'm prepared to cut him some slack this year.

What I would really like is the club to recruit†
2 Mids with pace and good foot skills
A KEY FORWARD
Lachlan

Back to top Go down

Post by redandblack on Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:53 am

Our inconsistency is a real problem, totally agree.

It's consistent, though, as our record at home is excellent and our record away is terrible. †That's the problem.

My analysis is that we have a core of good players that is capable of winning good games, but there are no true key forwards in that group that are fit enough, often enough, to win consistently.

The answer isn't to sack the coach after we lose a game and laud him when we win. †We need to be more constructive than that, unless one or two posters here want to donate the money to pay out each coach they don't like after we lose.

We desperately need a key forward and we urgently need a couple of quick midfielders. †I'm positive the Football Department know that and will get them. †They also know we need to develop some young midfielders also and I agree with those who want to see that being implemented.

We also need better mental strength at games like yesterday, where the extremes between a Travis Tuck and the other end of the scale are too great.

The season isn't over.

As a side note,the financial position of most of the SANFL clubs is such that buying a heap of ready-made players is no longer a viable option.

Targeted recruiting is necessary and will happen. †Mark Mickan inherited his list and had just lost three of the top defenders in SA. †He's rarely had his key forwards (Still, Middleton, Hayes) available, so give him a break and some support.

After yesterday, some changes should be made. We need 21 players who are committed. †Most players are always committed, so all players should be able to be the same.

redandblack

Back to top Go down

Post by Lachlan on Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:01 am

I do think we can develop some young midfielders from our group such as Snelling who has played a couple of good games in the ressies. I also think Favretto will develop into a mid in time. Haysman,Hombsch,Turner are a other kids who I think will play league footy in time
Lachlan

Back to top Go down

Post by billrobs1 on Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:12 am

I reckon if you look at the recruiting wish list of every SANFL club you will find a couple of quality midfielders and key forwards.

I agree we cant afford to sack the coach mid season.

I will always congratulate individuals when they perform well but also hold them to account when they dont.

We have a good list of experienced, skilled players who are insufficiently motivated to put in their best performance in every quarter of every game.

I appreciate your optimism R&B but it would take something like an ASADA investigation of epic proportions into the teams currently ranked 1 - 6 and for us to beat Norwood, Sturt and WWT for us to possibly sneak into the finals!!!!!

T Tuck is my favourite player..but if you were him would you stay in a team that doesnt put in the same consistent effort that you do? Is he contracted for next year?
billrobs1

Number of posts : 141
Registration date : 2014-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Second Team on Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:29 pm

Still don't know who was on Deltas brother.
And yes we need Delta at the club next year.
Think M.Still will be back in Victoria next year and Webby will be teaching in the country so that should open up the money to recruit a big key forward.
Watching the replay last week I see Harts kicks the ball 60m to Stevens who kicks it 50m to Webby who handballs to Fish who kicks a goal. All in the rain.
Then I watch us yesterday kick it 20m to Green who kicks it 20m to Bricks who turns it over. Having a 100 goal a year key forward won't fix that. Get players that can kick a ball.
Centrals rucks are crap and we have crap kicks in our team. Those are the facts. Why would we not kick it long out of defense and at worst it goes out and we reset. Whoever is the backline coach should be concerned.
As for the great wins against both the power and the crows. Port had its worst team for the year and last time we played the crows we killed them. †
Play the kids. Carter could easily play Keoughs role. This kid could be the most important player West have in the team next year.
A.Anderson , Schott and Vick are all better kicks than 90% of our team and the other Anderson is super quick and can break the lines. †Shocked††Shocked††Shocked
Second Team

Back to top Go down

Post by redandblack on Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:25 pm

The annual Webby won't be at West next year post.

Bit earlier this year than usual, though. †Wink
redandblack

Back to top Go down

Post by Second Team on Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:38 pm

redandblack wrote:The annual Webby won't be at West next year post.

I would think that next year will be West's biggest year yet for new recruits. At least West will get the best people possible on the recruiting team. Oh wait. †ShockedShockedShocked
Second Team

Back to top Go down

Post by redandblack on Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:56 pm

You should put up your hand to help, ST. †Very Happy

Then again, slagging volunteers and abusing posters is more your go.
redandblack

Back to top Go down

Post by Second Team on Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:05 pm

I am sure in your own mind you think that you know something about football but as a recruiter you might be better as a cricket commentator. Good luck. †R & B or B & R . †ShockedShockedShocked
Second Team

Back to top Go down

Post by redandblack on Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:13 pm

It seems site rules and consistent warnings over a long time make no difference toyou, ST.

As for your conspiracy theories,I can assure you that I am not blackandred, I do not know who blackandred is and I don't need to know who he is.

I do know that I and many others enjoy his well written and informative match reports.

I actually also enjoy your match summaries and agree with a lot of what you say.

I don't rate your abuse of blackandred or volunteers.

redandblack

Back to top Go down

Post by Second Team on Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:45 pm

I don't abuse volunteers.
I like Ditts, Ted, Jace, Bobby, Johnny, Tommy, the BBQ ladies, the water people, †and all the medical staff and even the toilet cleaner. I just don't like self absorbed people that think they are better than everyone else. As for not being B&R. Well . †ShockedShockedShocked
Second Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Lachlan on Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:07 pm

I think Webby is our best ruckman.however we need him forward given the number of injuries to key forwards and also Thompson being injured means Keough plays back. Mind you he has played well there.

There might be an AFL club looking at Keough.†

I hope Still stays with us and he gets super fit and has a great yr. If Still can can overcome his injuries it will help players such as Hardy and Webb when he is resting up forward as Still would demand the a very good defender
Lachlan

Back to top Go down

Post by bundy on Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:27 pm

Second Team wrote:
redandblack wrote:The annual Webby won't be at West next year post.

I would think that next year will be West's biggest year yet for new recruits. At least West will get the best people possible on the recruiting team. Oh wait. †ShockedShockedShocked

cheerscheerscheerscheerscheerscheers
bundy

Number of posts : 285
Job/hobbies : Lawn Bowls at Freeling
Registration date : 2013-09-24

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum