WEST V Norwood.

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

WEST V Norwood.

Post by Second Team on Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:11 pm

Changes for this week.

Out Webby and in Carter. Any other changes?
Time needs to be put into Norwoods ability to get alot of easy processions on the half backline.
McGuinness and Bode need to be stopped.  Shocked  Shocked  Shocked 

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Kick it forward. It's the new game plan.
Second Team

Number of posts : 420
Registration date : 2013-09-25

Back to top Go down

Re: WEST V Norwood.

Post by Bloodntars on Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:53 pm

With our finals chances pretty much shot, time to look at preparing for next year.

I would like to see guys like Carter, Dijksman, Favretto, Newell, etc to be given the last 3 matches without fear of being dropped so they can show us if they will be part of our plans next year.

Fisher and Birss in particular have really been struggling of late and are more than likely not to be here next year so sadly they need to be dropped. Bricknells disposal is poor (a hard choice may need to be made but I'll keep him for next year..... Just)

Put Ezard, Macreadie and Hardy on ice. Get them right for next year.

For me:
In Milne, Dijksman, Favretto, Carter, Newell
Out Hayes, Webb, Fisher, Birss, Bricknell

Guys like Hyde, Haysman, Snelling and Turner should also be considered.
Bloodntars

Number of posts : 112

Back to top Go down

Post by Lachlan on Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:12 pm

My team to play Norwood

FF BEECH STILL FIELKE
HF DIJKSMAN CARTER SILVERLOCK
C HILL SCHMIDT R. ANDERSON
HB GREEN MILNE A.ANDERSON
FB CAIRE KEOUGH HAYES

1st R NELSON TUCK STEVENS

INT FAVRETTO BRICKNELL SNELLING

IN FAVRETTO SNELLING CARTER MILNE DIJKSMAN
OUT FISHER WEBB (inj)HOMBURG SCHILLER BIRSS

Hayes stays in the side due to a lack of key Position players through injury 
Lachlan

Number of posts : 442

Back to top Go down

Post by Second Team on Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:28 pm

[quote="Second Team"]Changes for this week.

Out Webby and in Carter. Any other changes?
Time needs to be put into Norwoods ability to get alot of easy processions on the half backline.
McGuinness and Bode need to be stopped.  Shocked  Shocked  Shocked 

Bode 26 disposals and McGuinness 25. Both with 11 marks each. WTF.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Second Team

Back to top Go down

Post by whispy on Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:57 pm

Poor coaching Second Team. Happens every time we play that mob and we never learn.
whispy

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2014-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by billrobs1 on Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:27 am

I can't recall a more insipid, pathetic and heartless performance from a bloods side in over 5 years.

I also can't recall many more miserable days at a Bloods game. It had everything.... Off the ground - a blend of blind drunk, foul mouthed supporters, to the oldies with their lap rugs who incessantly winge about the umpires even though they are 10 goals up!!!

On the ground was even worse - the opening few minutes tells the story, from when we miss from 20 metres straight in front, to them kicking a 50 metre torp on the boundary for a goal .......and then it got worse from there.

* surely no one can defend MM now
* Players who I respected and admired are now a fraction of what they used to be last year. Why?
* this could be one of the most important few months in the history of the WAFC. Is the Board brave enough?
* MM is supported by influential mates around the club. Are they going to be willing to say they were wrong by appointing him and act to change?

It is time for the members and supporters to say we have had enough.
billrobs1

Number of posts : 141
Registration date : 2014-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by redandblack on Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:28 am

Interesting and understandable post, br.

I'll give my thoughts over a few posts, I'm on a dodgy computer.

First, I'll happily defend Mark Mickan and be proud to do so.  We've had the same debate about Andy Collins many times and I'm proud to say I supported him totally.

You also say he's supported by 'influential mates'.  I would hope so and I'd be calling for their resignations if they weren't.

You want them to admit they were wrong and act to change.  Change what?  Send us further into debt by paying Mark out before the end of his first year?

Mark wil be judged, like all coaches, on his results over the terms of his two year contract.

You've raised some other very interesting ooints, br and I'll give my thoughts next.

Kick the thing backwards.
redandblack

Number of posts : 210
Registration date : 2011-11-20

Back to top Go down

Post by LukeO9 on Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:50 am

Yes, the first 5 minutes was telling. 2 dropped sitters, a hand ball in defense that missed by 2 meters, and a 30m kick for goal straight in front missed.
So how do you defend MM? Well, I asked myself what would I do as coach. I found my answer to be a response that would be expected from a high school coach. MM is not employed to coach players that show that skill level.
A painful day, compounded by a moronic tone within the Norwood supporters. i.e, after complaining about the umpiring all day, they screamed at Homburg for daring to do the same.
The positives:
Carter looked good in ruck.
Still took mark of the year and bagged his usual 3 goals.

LukeO9

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2014-05-22

Back to top Go down

Post by redandblack on Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:52 am

Br, I do totally agree with your first few paragraphs. I agree it was a totally insipid performance. To be sitting there at 10 goals to none is totally miserable and unacceptable. You make a really good point in that, though.

It was 1 goal to none against us and we miss a goal from 20 out, straight in front. That was Aaron Fielke, but Fielks has been one of our better goalkickers all year, so how do we judge that?

Peter Nelson missed one late from straight in front too. They kill you.

I make no comment about your description of some of the Norwood crowd, except to sympathise with you.

When it comes to looking at the coach and the players at such times, I'm always struck by one factor and would be interested in posters' thoughts on it. There are a few players who play well every week. Apologies to some other players, but Beech, Schmidt, Silvelock, Tuck, Keough and a few others seem to play well all the time. They don't seem to be affected by coaching or other influences. I know they are good players, but they seem to come to play every week.

Are they just mentally tougher than some? Do some players look for excuses at such times, instead of looking at their own preparation? Are they in a comfort zone at home games, but challenged too much away?

You're quite right, br, in asking if the Board will be brave. I also think they have to be brave, not in a knee-jerk 'sack the coach' decision, but in taking tough decisions about the future direction of the club.

I think they will be, but the time for such things isn't while the season hasn't finished.

redandblack

Back to top Go down

Post by billrobs1 on Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:54 am

R&b....I expected we would not go as well in 14 as in 13 but the extent of the decline through the season is what is most concerning.

It seems The concesus in this forum is we need to build a new side. A side that for the next 5 or so years can consistently perform to a standard we saw in recent years.

Can we trust a bloke who struggles to get his team up from one week to another to build this team for the future? Surely you have at least the smallest seed of doubt!!!!

If he fails.....what will be the implications to our club?

After this week my son is already saying he doesn't want to come to the games.....and he is the next generation of supporters!!!!
billrobs1

Back to top Go down

Post by whispy on Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:05 am

With all due respect redandblack, Billrobs is right. I understand you have been a long time servant of the club and believe you are now a member of the board. You protect and stick up for the coach and that's understandable. I respect that but you have to pull your head out of the sand and smell the roses and as a board member, you and the other board members should be asking the coach for an explanation after yesterdays embarrassing display.
If you don't, then the board is as weak as water.
We can't keep blaming the players, there was enough talent in our side yesterday to be at least competitive, not a side that got beaten by a huge cricket score. The coach must share some responsibility because we are going nowhere fast.
whispy

Back to top Go down

Post by redandblack on Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:10 am

Sorry to continue, but it's a good debate.

Really good post, Luke.

On the game, I also thought Tom Carter rucked well. I'd like to see him develop as a key defender also.

I thought Peter Nelson also rucked well and has improved his consistency a lot recently.

Michael Still is the best FF we've had for a fair while.  Mark would have loved to have had him for more than half a dozen games.

I thought Sam Durdin didn't look out of place at CHB.

Jess Watchman will probably be drafted, but doesn't it make you yearn for the pre-AFL days when we could have looked forward to a decade of having him and Durdin?

Finally, if we're talking about brave decisions, not by the Board, but in terms of list management, then the end of the season decisions will be crucial.

PS: Just read your post, br.

I've been a volunteer in various positions for 25 years, so I support the coach unreservedly, otherwise I would resign as a volunteer. As a supporter though, I still wouldn't judge Mark on just this year. We recently beat the top two teams and he's teaching a totally different style to what the team has had drummed into them for the past six years, as supporters were screaming for.

I hurt at games like yesterday, as we all do and I understand the reactions.

I'd also say that the Board aren't anonymous wheelers and dealers, but passionate Bloods' people, just like all of us, who put in enormous time to try to get the club to a premiership. They all hurt at results like yesterday and they feel that hurt personally.

As for Mark, he was offered the coaching job at another League club, but his loyalty had always been with his club, West Adelaide.

redandblack

Back to top Go down

Post by redandblack on Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:15 am

That's fine, whispy, but you've registered yesterday and just posted anti-Mickan comments and then anti-Board comments.

Apart from the perennial sacking the coach post (I presume you'll be donating enough to cover his 2015 salary), do you have any answers?

redandblack

Back to top Go down

Post by LukeO9 on Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:30 am

From the first game at Norlunga I was waiting for the players to "shake the summer cobwebs off". But that didn't happen until the second half of the season. Sure, a brilliant defense from 2013 was gone, but it wasn't just the newbies that were failing. All players, at various times, showed extremely poor skills. I need to be given specific details on how MM is failing rather than general sweeping statements before I too call for his removal.
Clearly, given the last games vs Sturt and Port the team can perform. I've always felt that from the opening round. So the issue is consistency. To solve the problem becomes somewhat straight forward in that we know what the problem is....league players that previously showed excellent competence in 2013 now presenting, at times (too often!), skill levels akin to high school boys. I need to be told exactly how MM is inducing that before I withdraw my support for him.
LukeO9

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2014-05-22

Back to top Go down

Post by whispy on Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:37 am

Redandblack.
I registered to voice my opinion, is that ok or is it against the site rules?
I have not abused or used foul language towards anyone here or towards the West Adelaide Football Club.
I have noticed as a reader of this forum before registering, you are the only one quick to retaliate against anyone posting anything that only you find negative in your opinion.
If i have upset some with my concerns then fine, i'l move on and retire from this forum which seems to be administrated by a board member of the club.
I guess 'we' the complainants won't or can't win.
Have a good day.
whispy

Back to top Go down

Post by redandblack on Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:58 am

Thanks for that positive feedback. Whispy.

In amongst the criticism of me, perhaps you could at least give me some credit for openly discussing club matters with all members on this forum.

I happily answer PM's from posters about club matters and have done for years.

You've also ignored general forum convention about anonymity by identifying me as a board member, so I'll have to consider whether to again post as redandblack.

I think I'm the last person you could criticise for not allowing you an opinion on here, given I started the original forum years ago to give West people a say and have kept it going ever since.

Nothing you have posted has been deleted or edited in any eay, so it seems you just don't like others having a strong opinion.

You can have your opinion, but I am also entitled to have mine, without you having a hissy fit if I do.

I have only been on the Board a few months, had nothing to do with the coach appointment and it's ironic that my passion on the Board has been to push for members' voices to be heard!

As I publicly stated when interviewed at the Club recently.

Oh, I'm also not the Administrator of this board, just one of 3 Moderators.  We don't need to do much moderating, as we believe posters are entitled to their opinion.

Given my position, the Administrator has always been a different poster.

redandblack

Back to top Go down

Post by Lachlan on Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:12 am

I definitely wouldn't be sacking the coach after 1 year that's for sure.
However as i have stated in previous posts we need to look at our list and as harsh as it is
We need to move some players on. Most of this group has got us to a Grand Final a couple of years ago.
However 2 yrs is a long time in footy and we need to bring some young talent from our own back yard which I'm sure we will do.

Our recruiting hasn't been up to scratch for a number of years due to financiers and other things.
We do however need to recruit some quality for next year otherwise we will end up near the bottom in 2015
We need to find a couple of experienced Key position players that will play consistent league footy next year

THE RECRUITING COMMITTEE MUST GET  IT RIGHT NEXT YEAR. NO EXCUSES
1 Two key position players with one being a key forward the other as a swingman who can play at either end of the ground
2. Two quality outside Mids that can use the ball
Lachlan

Number of posts : 442

Back to top Go down

Post by Second Team on Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:18 am

Random thoughts.

1. Eight goals down in the first quarter. Game over. We need the three goal rule. If we get three goals down in a quarter then put some numbers back until the blood stops flowing.
2. Keough and Durdin got smacked. Don't really know why we played Durdin. For all the hype he hasn't earned his spot and won't be at the club next year.
3. Who the hell was on Phillips. Has been out for a month and comes back to kick 5.
4. Well done to Tom Carter. Shows a bit and is hard at it. Maybe we need to keep him on the ground for longer than 3 minutes at a time.
5. If we win the clearances 46 to 27 and lose by 15 goals then we have a major disposal problem.
6. M.Still is playing full forward and also leading when we kick the ball out of defense.
7. M.Still has to take mark of the year to get a kick in our forward 50 while Norwood use skill bringing the ball into their 50.
8. Aaron Anderson is a better player already than about 4 of our current backline.
9. Beechy is a great player.
10. Time to bring in Favretto, Schott and Watchman next week.Shocked Shocked Shocked

Second Team

Back to top Go down

Post by bundy on Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:46 am

Hang in there Wispy we all have an opinion and are entitled to speak up.Good reading.
bundy

Number of posts : 286
Job/hobbies : Lawn Bowls at Freeling
Registration date : 2013-09-24

Back to top Go down

Post by billrobs1 on Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:55 pm

Welcome Wispy. Still with it. The more the merrier.

Lots of passionate people in this forum with different opinions. All with a common interest in the club though.
billrobs1

Back to top Go down

Post by testy on Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:37 pm

whispy wrote:Redandblack.
I have not abused or used foul language towards anyone here or towards the West Adelaide Football Club.
I have noticed as a reader of this forum before registering, you are the only one quick to retaliate against anyone posting anything that only you find negative in your opinion.
If i have upset some with my concerns then fine, i'l move on and retire from this forum which seems to be administrated by a board member of the club.
Have a good day.

Volunteers are always welcome at the club whispy, why don't you put your hand up ?
testy

Number of posts : 243

Back to top Go down

Post by captainblood on Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:26 pm

Lachlan wrote:I definitely wouldn't be sacking the coach after 1 year that's for sure.
However as i have stated in previous posts we need to look at our list and as harsh as it is
We need to move some players on. Most of this group has got us to a Grand Final a couple of years ago.
However 2 yrs is a long time in footy and we need to bring some young talent from our own back yard which I'm sure we will do.

Our recruiting hasn't been up to scratch for a number of years due to financiers and other things.
We do however need to recruit some quality for next year otherwise we will end up near the bottom in 2015
We need to find a couple of experienced Key position players that will play consistent league footy next year

THE RECRUITING COMMITTEE MUST GET  IT RIGHT NEXT YEAR. NO EXCUSES
1 Two key position players with one being a key forward the other as a swingman who can play at either end of the ground
2. Two quality outside Mids that can use the ball

Pretty much agree with everything Lachlan has said.
It is extremely frustrating supporting West at times and now the two AFL reserve clubs are in I'm finding it even harder to find enthusiasm.

MM shouldn't be sacked after one year, we'll leave that to the team down the road who seem to change their coaches yearly and it's got them nowhere.

The reality is we are a club that is struggling to survive financially and we don't need the extra costs that this change would bring.

We do need some specific recruiting, we haven't had a dominant CHF for years but we also need a few of the young blokes to come through as well. There is some talent in the lower grades but we need to convince them to stay with the club for the long haul.
Lachlan is also right about outside pace and better ball users, turnovers bloody kill us.

Football is a hard slog, my only advice is keep taking the game on and keep running. This style of game is what I want to watch and I think in the end is the style that will succeed for us....eventually.

captainblood

Number of posts : 61

Back to top Go down

Post by whispy on Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:53 am

testy wrote:
whispy wrote:Redandblack.
Have a good day.

Volunteers are always welcome at the club whispy, why don't you put your hand up ?

What the heck has volunteering for the club got to do with what i posted? Although i admire the efforts put in by all volunteers at the club and they do a bloody good job for little recognition.

My posts were about whether Mickan is the man to take us forward and my answer was, in my opinion..no! I did not say sack him, as posted it would cost the club too much money, i said unfortunately we have him for another 12 months. Again it's just my opinion.  

I also posted that there should be a please explain from the coach to the board as to our downward slide and some pathetic performances this year.

Can i not voice an opinion on this forum without being shot down?
Talk about West supporters eating their own.
End of rant and time wasting here.
whispy

Back to top Go down

Post by scorpion on Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:52 pm

Well said Whispy
scorpion

Number of posts : 255
Registration date : 2013-09-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine on Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:45 pm

"Can i not voice an opinion on this forum without being shot down?"

Whispy, nothing has stopped you voicing your opinion on this forum.

Nothing stops other posters disagreeing with you.

It's a free forum.

Lee Harradine

Number of posts : 691
Registration date : 2014-05-24

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum