Bloods v Double Blues match report

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Bloods v Double Blues match report

Post by blackandred on Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:16 pm

The best that the Bloods can do after this comprehensive defeat at Doggy Doo Doo park Unley today, is to forget all about it and start thinking about next week.

Sturt came out firing after last weeks belting, they were cleaner with hand and foot, they used their local knowledge of the conditions and their awful oval, kept an open forward line and they played a superior brand of defensive footy to come from behind and run out easy winners after the Bloods led at 3Q time.

Westies were vulnerable under pressure, they didn’t run out the game well, they wasted their chances, did some silly things and they were confused by the windy conditions on such a small ground that saw the ball consistently clear the pack at the northern end.

Agostino and Milne dropped out and Francis came in for his first game.

Westies had first use of the breeze but trailed at Q time. Beech had 2 of our 3 goals.

The second Q saw Westies with a lot of the ball but little affect on the scoreboard. The highlight was a marvellous Caire tackle to stop a certain Sturt goal. Hartlett was stirring the feral Sturt cheer squad by playing a great game on the last line. He showed maturity by not responding to their taunts. Willets wasted the chance to put us in front at half time by kicking poorly from a set shot late in time on. At half time Sturt led 6.1 to 5.5 and the scoring shots told the story of mistakes, wasted chances and Sturt’s strong defence.

With the wind in the 3rdQ we lost the game. We had 90% of the play but couldn’t convert enough despite the efforts of Green with 2 goals including a gem when he spun out of a pack and snapped truly. But Sturt defended stoutly and crowded our forward line. They scored 2 goals into the breeze while we managed 3.3 with it. At this stage, with Westies leading by 6pts, the game was still there to be won by either side.

The last Q saw Sturt kick 5.3 to our miserable one point. Their tall forwards Smith, Beard, Coad and Bruggeman dominated their forward line. Beard took 11 marks for the game! Four of their 5 goals came in the final ten minutes as they stormed home while we managed a dismal rushed behind. Final score Sturt 13.5 to WA 8.9.

Schmidt was our best player. He does have a tendency to make his first move with the ball backwards but he has class, poise and plenty of time. Hartlett, Caire and Keogh battled all day and saw plenty of the ball. Silverlock was dangerous but is always tempted to take the spectacular option rather than the safe one – his shot for goal from the NW pocket in the 3Q was simply embarrassing. Aaron Francis had a tough debut. He was outplayed by his opponents all day but he’ll get better. Green kicked 3 and Beech 2 – both in the first Q. Webb limped off in the last Q with an injury to his rt ankle.

We had more inside 50s but Sturt took twice as many marks. We had 20 more tackles but Sturt always managed to get the handball away so more work needed in this key area. Kurtze beat our 2 ruckmen altho Willets is improving with his palming of the ball.

Nelson should come in next week but we need some big and strong bodies up forward so we can kick a winning score.

A disappointing effort but bring on Centrals.
blackandred

Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2013-09-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Bloods v Double Blues match report

Post by RODH2 on Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:00 pm

Thanks, (anyway) b&r, always look forward to your accurate and informative reports! Next week!!
RODH2

Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2015-03-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine on Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:08 pm

Astute write up, IMO, B & R.

Today showed up the areas we need to improve in. Good to see Mason Middleton clunk some good marks in the Reserves.

Unley Oval continues to be difficult for us.
Lee Harradine

Number of posts : 691
Registration date : 2014-05-24

Back to top Go down

Post by dl550 on Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:39 pm

Unfortunately these are the matches that have to be won if we are going to make an impact on the season. Today was a great opportunity to make one up on the opposition by cementing ourselves on top, as well as ruining another teams season as we could have forced Sturt to drop to 1-3. These are the matches we wouldn't lose in 2012/2013.

It's going to be highly difficult to beat Norwood or Port, North and Central we struggle against most seasons, and South are a 50/50.

What was most disappointing was that we were in a winning position and could have finished the match on our own boot in the third quarter with the amount of play we had.
dl550

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2014-04-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Lachlan on Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:04 pm

Stating the obvious but a lack of a Key Forward finally caught up with us today.
We had nine more inside 50's then Sturt and we should have led
by a greater margin at 3/4 time but we didn't have a key forward to take a mark

If Webb is ok he must  play key forward this week with Nelson being promoted

Great to see Francis play his first game even though he was quiet mind
you so was Snelling and Haysman. That to be expected given there age

I would like to see Francis moved forward against Central therefore having
Him and Webb as our key targets up forward. For team balance and
structure we need to have two marking targets for the whole match.
I understand this is a big ask of Francis however it would allow Beech and Tuck to rotate through the midfield and rest also in a forward pocket therefore they would take the third best defender.

We badly need Hardy and Middleton back

Thought Porplyica was our best player today. He certainly is getting better each game
Schmidt,Hartlett and Silvelock were the others to do well and Green  did some nice things up forward
Lachlan

Number of posts : 442

Back to top Go down

Post by LukeO9 on Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:39 pm

I liked West's performance today. My understanding was that if we were to gain a 3+ goal advantage after 3Q-time, we would attempt to further shut Sturt down in the 4th. Inaccuracy in the 3rd (some instances were dumbfounding) was our downfall. We needed to play well to be able to get those shots on goal, and we did that. So having to then outscore Sturt who had the wind in the 4th, we needed to play an open running game that could have allowed Sturt to get get their game going, which we now know actually happened. I thought it was a risk worth taking. Very unfortunate, but heartening for coming games.
Very interested to know about Webb's injury. Is it the ankle again?
LukeO9

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2014-05-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Mypaspective on Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:52 am

I like your positive analysis Luke09.

There is little doubt, as I saw it, that we lost the chance of a win away in the third qtr. Had we converted those attacks into goals especially the 3 relatively easy ones we could have been 4 up at 3/4 time & the players mindset may have been different. We needed more composure when it counted & we didn't have that.

Also it was evident that the breeze was stronger in the last qtr than it felt on the terraces. This was evidenced by 2 shots for goal into it early in the last (by I think Beech & Green) which didn't make the difference from well within their 40mtr arch (yes not 50 on this postage stamp)

Our boys fought really hard for 3 & a bit. Their desperation & attack on the footy & body was fantastic. Remember Cairey.

We are not going to win every game & we have generally found it difficult to play the confined area of Unley Oval over the years.

Now to regroup & win against Centrals at home. It looks like there may be a couple of changes. Unlikely that Webbys ankle may come up & Mason Middleton looked strong in the marking contests in the twos. Big PETE might get his chance to re-establish himself if he has the desire.

Also Don't lose sight of the fact that we also have a game in hand on three of the clubs above us.

Keep the faith, we still showed a lot of desperation, courage & endeavour which should win more than we lose in the weeks ahead. It is a long season & there will be disappointments along the way.
Mypaspective

Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2015-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Mypaspective on Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:39 am

Also interesting to note that Borholm had 50 hit outs against Centrals Mabon 26 so we should fair better in the ruck next week. Kurtze was well on top of our guys for most of the game which gave them first use on many occasions. Big Brucey had to use his body strength to try to get back into the fight which he did after half time I thought but Kurtze was the obvious winner on the day.
Mypaspective

Back to top Go down

Post by Second Team on Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:55 am

Random Thoughts.

1. Got the team balance wrong and paid the price.
2. Caire was not ready and neither was Francis.
3. Milne should not have been dropped.
4. Wish we had got Kurtze years ago when he could not get a game.
5. We need two big permanent forwards for a full game.
6. Porps needs to realize that we need him to use his leg to kick long. 15m chip kicks that don't hits targets are useless.
7. Helbig and Tuck are both in trouble.
8. Nelson to finally come in as well as a big forward.
9. Field kicking by league players is still CRAP. We need a kicking efficiency stat. Having 20 kicks is rubbish if you can't hit a target.
10. We don't have a player of Coads quality that can play both ends of the ground in the one day.
11. Coaches need to pick a team that will win next week. Junior development is for the under 18s coach and that Milner road idiot to worry about. Shocked Shocked Shocked

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Kick it forward. It's the new game plan.
Second Team

Number of posts : 420

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine on Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:31 pm

Some fair comments, ST, but who in the Reserves would you have replacing our young players?

I think we should note what didn't work yesterday (and most of your thoughts are accurate), but I don't think a narrow loss at Unley where we should have won is a reason to make wholesale changes.

I liked what I saw of Middleton, but he's only played one game in a year and Nelson would have to be considered if Webby doesn't come up.

Our Reserves were very poor at Unley.
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by Second Team on Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:38 pm

Francis should have earnt his spot in the reserves and Milne should not have been dropped. Caire is not fit and should have also played reserves. Newell or Anderson could have played in his spot.
If we like Harts and Keough as our two main defenders it seemed strange that Keough was in the forwardline in the first quarter.
Does the club get more money if Francis is drafted in the top 10 as opposed to the top 20?

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Second Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolf Pack on Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:51 pm

Only a rumour, but I heard if Francis is not playing in the league team, he will play school football...........
Wolf Pack

Number of posts : 263
Registration date : 2013-09-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Jamo on Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:13 pm

Second Team wrote:Francis should have earnt his spot in the reserves and Milne should not have been dropped. Caire is not fit and should have also played reserves. Newell or Anderson could have played in his spot.
If we like Harts and Keough as our two main defenders it seemed strange that Keough was in the forwardline in the first quarter.
Does the club get more money if Francis is drafted in the top 10 as opposed to the top 20?

Did you even go to the game and see caire run that bloke down in the goal square?

RED BLACK 2015.
Jamo

Number of posts : 160
Job/hobbies : Accounts Manager Timber Wholesale
Registration date : 2013-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine on Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:33 pm

I think that's right, Wolf Pack. Unfortunately many colleges require their students to play for the school before SANFL. Some relent if the student is selected for League football, as is the case with Francis.

However, that and where or when he might be drafted wasn't an issue at selection at all.

ST, i think Daniel Caire is a long way in front of any challengers for his spot from the Reserves right now, but Ando and Richard will be good league players during the season, especially as we lose our juniors to State duties.
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by Second Team on Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:46 pm

Jamo wrote:
Second Team wrote:Francis should have earnt his spot in the reserves and Milne should not have been dropped. Caire is not fit and should have also played reserves. Newell or Anderson could have played in his spot.

Did you even go to the game and see caire run that bloke down in the goal square?

Sorry mate I missed the match. I was on my yatch in the south if France. Shocked Shocked Shocked

Second Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine on Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:50 pm

In that case you missed Daniel Caire giving his all for West Adelaide, as he always does, in running down a Sturt player waltzing in for an easy goal.

A chase from nowhere, just one play amongst a good first game back.

Keough was playing CHB and just went with his opponent so he wouldn't be used as a spare.
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by Mypaspective on Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:52 pm

ST, Cairey & Greeny set the standard with their fierce & maniac attack on the ball which led the way. I thought Daniel was really worthy of his spot & although he hadn't played much footy this year was very good IMO.

Don't see how you can say he is not fit. He looked OK to me, to chase a bloke for 20 mtrs giving him a 5 mtr start & take him down to stop a certain goal was worth the entry cost.
Mypaspective

Back to top Go down

Post by Mypaspective on Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:00 pm

Incidentally to answer another question raised by ST each club now gets $50K pa for drafted players regardless of the number from each club & what draft number they go for. This has been only in effect this year & negatively affects those clubs who are more successful than others.

Although we have had some big years we have also had years where we have only had one drafted. Perhaps it will even out over time.
Mypaspective

Back to top Go down

Post by testy on Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:21 pm

ST, one of your random thoughts is regarding the need to have efficiency stats for kicking.

I can assure you our very astute stats team supplies these stats to the coaches for both kicks and handballs, they are marked either effective or ineffective.

testy

Number of posts : 243

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian on Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:01 pm

I really liked the way we played for the first three quarters and don't understand why it stopped at 3/4 time. Even when we were within a goal or so, some way into the last quarter, we looked completely out of the game. We kicked to their spare man and seemed to lose confidence in how we had been linking up to move the ball forward earlier. (Or we just tired.)

I thought we might have erred in leaving Hartlett on Bruggeman in the last. Bruggeman sat out wide on the flank, taking Hartlett (our biggest and best defender) out of the key contest areas, and we saw Beard and Coad take big marks within range.

We do need some more height, especially up forward. We are a small side - even our midfielders (Snelling, Haysman, Hill) are short. I think Tuck and Schmidt are going to have to spend more time on ball against the taller mids like Norwood's Suckling and Panos.

Lastly, a pet peeve of mine is the rotating of players off the ground. In the first half especially, our best players - Tuck, Schmidt, Porplyzia, even Keough - were taken off for various periods. I think this risks the loss of momentum and doesn't make sense given that we believe we are super fit. It would make sense if we thought we were UNfit, but I fail to see the logic in it.

Still, we are playing a pretty attractive brand of footy, and if we can get some bigger guys firing we could go a long way.
aldo russian

Number of posts : 436

Back to top Go down

Post by Mypaspective on Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:33 pm

Good observation Aldo
Mypaspective

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top