Sturt Cheersquad

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Sturt Cheersquad

Post by LukeO9 on Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:23 pm

I would like to raise the issue of the Sturt cheer sqaud and Adam Hartlett. The background to today’s incidents is relevant and I want to clarify early that I believe Adam is completely responsible for his own behaviour and his guilty plea to the incident involving Luke Grant from the Sturt cheer squad last year clearly presents Adam’s and the Club’s position on that matter.  I also appreciated the comments made by Sturt’s CEO Sue Dewing at that time, where she acknowledged the responsibility of her Club and confessed that what she had heard, the level of abuse on Hartlett was unreasonable. I got the impression that she was aware of the significance of the event in the suspension of a key player to West Adelaide FC and was to attend to the situation accordingly. Today I saw that such attention had either not occurred or has not been sustained.
I’m not an advocate for FC clubs to be responsible for the actions of their supporters when it relates to issues of the level of the forementioned altercation, so I was impressed that Sue did take action by saying she would discuss the issue with the Sturt cheer squad in the understanding that “the cheer squad is seen as part of our club and we need to take responsibility for their behaviour”.
Today proved that her declared discussion with the Sturt cheersquad in realtion to Adam Hartlett has always been, or become, ineffectual.  For her own credibility and that of the Sturt FC, I would like Sue to make comment on todays behaviour of the Sturt cheesquad directed toward Adam Hartlett.
What bothered me was both that Adam again was subjected to this verbal onslaught and that again he reacted to it, thankfully in a much more subdued manner.
It’s very disappointing to see that Sturt appears to not have attended to this ongoing abuse despite their assurance that they would. I noted the presence of a Weslo security guard and his inaction toward clear breaches in crowd behaviour, specifically relating to offensive language. This indicates that if Sturt choose to use the report by Weslo on their cheersquad’s behaviour they will most likely be misinformed. I would like the Sturt FC to reiterate their stance in this matter and comment on whether they believe that they have adequately attended to this situation.
Again, I’m not a big fan of Club’s taking responsibility of their supporter’s behaviour at this level, however, if Sturt say they were to “deal with it” they should show that they have.
I would very much like West Adelaide FC to informally enquire about Sturt’s understanding of their cheersquad's behavior, specifically that directed to Hartlett, and their publically announced assurance that they where to take action in this particular matter.

Last edited by LukeO9 on Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:08 am; edited 1 time in total
LukeO9

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2014-05-22

Back to top Go down

Re: Sturt Cheersquad

Post by dl550 on Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:48 pm

Couldn't agree more - For sure when you go to the footy you expect to hear some heated comments and abuse directed towards the players to put them off their game a bit - especially if there is a few dust up's - but not to the extent that the Sturt cheer squad continuosly attacks Hartlett, particularly as Hartlett hadn't done anything all day to warrant any attacks until the last quarter. I was a bit far from them to hear much of what was said - but heard a few comments now and then about Hartlett's brother, etc.

I haven't been at a match in SANFL where such a cheer squad attacks one single player continuously like this, and have generally found most cheer squads from other clubs (excluding Sturt) are reasonably fair and spend most of their attention in cheering their own team rather than focussing on berating the opposition.

What makes me laugh is how they try to come across as an affluent and classy supporter base and club because of the location in town where the ground is situated, yet they are quite possibly the roughest cheer squad around with the poorest behavior.

I'm sure the guy involved in the incident with Hartlett was there again today - and nothing has been done in regards to the Sturt FC prompting him to change his behaviour or revoking his entry to matches. Therefore why would he change....
dl550

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2014-04-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Mypaspective on Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:07 am

Agree wholeheartedly with both of your comments.

I don't think there is any point in complaining to Sturt officials as they will hand out another "wet tissue" warning to their moron cheer mob.

We have to be thankful that Adam has been much more controlled this season & rely on the reports to the SANFL from both Weslo & the umpires.

What I can say is that our cheer squad have not been Angels, they were on a couple of umpires reports last year for abusive language & although were spoken to at the time by our officials, continued to behaive poorly so let's be careful what we wish for.
Mypaspective

Number of posts : 244
Registration date : 2015-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by LukeO9 on Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:57 am

Mypaspective wrote:
I don't think there is any point in complaining to Sturt officials as they will hand out another "wet tissue" warning to their moron cheer mob.

One of the hardest thing for club officials to do is to discipline their own supporters. Its "goes against the grain" with their campaign for members/supporters. Thats one of the reasons why I don't feel strongly about clubs taking any action against supporters, unless its significant activity...kind of like what we saw in England in the 70s.
My gripe is that I have good reason to believe that Sturt officials share the attitude their cheer squad have for Hartlett, and that Sue Dewing's public statement regarding last year's incident was for publicity purposes only.
I believe Sturt and West clubs did converse on the Hartlett vs. Luke Grant incident and I would like to know the nature of this conversation. My want for the Club to re-enter this chat stems from the difference between Sue Dewing's public statement and what I saw yesterday. Just an gentle enquiry about how she currently sees the situation.
LukeO9

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine on Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:35 pm

Excellent post, Luke09.

I believe this is already being discussed by West and Sturt and the SANFL and we'll be monitoring what action is taken, as appropriate.
Lee Harradine

Number of posts : 703
Registration date : 2014-05-24

Back to top Go down

Post by dl550 on Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:26 pm

Where do we draw the line?

For sure at the football everyone gets fired up and it's a passionate game....I can't see the problem getting stuck into someone when they miss a shot/fumble/create a turnover to put them off their game....

But we don't tolerate racism, homophobia or religious abuse, so why should we tolerate personal comments made about ones family?

dl550

Back to top Go down

Post by LukeO9 on Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:51 am

dl550 wrote:Where do we draw the line?

But we don't tolerate racism, homophobia or religious abuse, so why should we tolerate personal comments made about ones family?

Good question.
That particular line is being drawn, and at a position that includes family, thanks to Will Minson. His slur about the ill son of Kane Cornes in 2008 brought the issue you raise into discussion.
LukeO9

Back to top Go down

Post by dl550 on Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:15 pm

Between players yes.....its a no go zone....but in regards to comments from the crowd????

I also remember an incident between Des Hedland and someone many years ago??

Also noticed the Sturt runner had a bit to say to our players on the weekend.....
dl550

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum