Bloods v Roosters match report

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Bloods v Roosters match report

Post by blackandred on Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:33 pm

In the end Westies ran out comfortable winners against North today at Prospect with the final score being WA 21.6 to NA 8.8. Hard to believe then, that in the third Q, North booted 6.3 while holding a rampant Bloods outfit scoreless!

We kicked 7 goals in the first Q and North couldn’t manage a major. Fielke got 3 goals and Middleton 2 in a dominant display of running footy with Kaine Stevens, Schmidt and Schiller dominating play.

More of the same in the second, adding six while holding North to a single goal. At half time the score was 13.5 to 1.5 and it looked as though things were going to get ugly. Silverlock kicked 2 and Fielke and Middleton – his best game for the club – added one each. Many North supporters were leaving.

In the third North changed their style of play, they played on and kicked long while Westies chipped sideways and were un-nerved by North’s aggression. North dominated the air taking many grabs up forward and the game changed dramatically, notwithstanding that the Bloods still had a comfortable lead at the last break. WA 13.5, NA 7.8.

Our main goalkicker, Aaron Fielke had left the field at this point with an injury to his right leg but we fumbled and fell into basic errors in a complete turnaround from the first half.

After a spray from the coach things settled in the last. Porplyzia dominated the centre and the ball was pumped forward to our new spear-head, Shannon Green. He kicked 5 goals this Q, from memory, all from marks and set shots. North had run their race and we added 8 in a dominant 25 minutes of great footy. Amato upset the umpire at one point and gave away, what looked to be, a 150m penalty, but Hardy missed the shot from 40m out.

Our engine room of Stevens, Schiller, Schmidt and Porplyzia all had over 30 possessions apiece. Hartlett was probably our best over 4 Qs due to consistency alone. He has an awkward kicking style but he always finds his man. Wasley-Black, Keogh and Caire assisted him down back against a tall North forward line.

Stevens has 38 possessions, Green took 13 marks, most of them in the last Q. We were beaten in ruck but it didn’t matter much. Middleton looked good early, taking some strong contested marks. Young Hampton couldn’t get into the game which was played at a frantic pace. Goalkickers were Green with 5, Fielke 4, all in the first half, Silverlock and Middleton 3 each.

The 2’s went down 15.10 to 10.8. Nelson and Milne didn’t exactly set the world on fire but Milne should come back next week. Jennings and Johnson dropped out of the named senior side to play here.

Any win at Prospect is a good win and the game was excellent preparation for next week against the Eagles.

blackandred

Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2013-09-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Bloods v Roosters match report

Post by TAAARS on Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:34 pm

Good to see your reports back after your trip to Europe. Red,errr Blackandred,Lee Very Happy
TAAARS

Number of posts : 108

Back to top Go down

Post by Thiele on Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:16 pm

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
2015 PREMIERS. GO BLOODS
Thiele

Number of posts : 377

Back to top Go down

Post by Thiele on Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:16 pm

Great result today.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
2015 PREMIERS. GO BLOODS
Thiele

Number of posts : 377

Back to top Go down

Post by dl550 on Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:04 pm

Glad to get the win - but if any fans,coaching staff or players are seriously happy with the game overall after a third quarter like that against the bottom side then we are only fooling ourselves.....

If the culture of the club is to be changed for the positive then quarters like that third quarter are unacceptable.

Good teams rarely play quarters like that, great teams never do....
dl550

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2014-04-01

Back to top Go down

Post by mailman on Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:15 pm

good win today but cannot go scoreless in any quarter. i know we will have some players avaliable in the next two weeks but we need our so called unproven players to take there oppurtunitys. normally west of old with a big lead like they had today and had a scoreless quarter would lose but this is a different unit. still give me heart problems but on most occasions they fight the match right out. a lot more postives then negatives. now we are in a postion to control our own postion on the ladder. win the matches that we need to.
mailman

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2015-05-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Lachlan on Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:38 pm

Mailman

I agree with your post 100%. To play a quarter of football and not score against the bottom side is very disappointing. However on the flip side to kick 21 goals in the 3 quarters of football is a good result.

Best Players
Stevens. Who is having a fantastic year. He burns the ball at times but he has really stepped up this year and his work at stoppages is very good especially in the centre square.
He seems much fitter this year.
Porps. He has been our best recruit this year. He is all class
Schiller. I didn't think he was in our best 21. He has proven me wrong
Hartlett. Having his best year by far. Has also been very disciplined
Schmidt. Never plays a bad game
Green. must get a mention for his 5 goals all in the last qrt.

As for the lesser known players
Middleton was fantastic early but he died out of the game.He isn't a ruckman or a
CHF. To me he plays his best football from the goal square. Needs to get fitter
Homburg. Burns the ball far too much
Newell. Is an athlete first and a footballer second.
Hardy. Very disappointing today

Definitely need Helbig,Ezard and the baby bloods back in the side.
I also think we have badly missed Webby.

Does Nelson come into the side this week? Can we afford to have him Hardy,Middleton and Willits in the same team

Lachlan

Number of posts : 447

Back to top Go down

Post by blackandred on Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

Westies wore black armbands at Prospect in memory of Allan Tregenza. Allan first played for Westies as a 16yo in 1953 and played 146 games for the club.

He played full back in the 1961 premiership team. Known as the ‘Turkish Bath’ grand final the game was played in 35 degree heat with a strong north wind blowing. Those of us who were there remember the umpire, Lawrie Sweeney, ordering trainers from the field as they tried to supply water to the exhausted players. No OH&S back then!

Allan was a great player for Westies. He played most of his later footy at full back, was a lovely kick and had great judgement when marking. At 183cm and 80kg it is interesting to compare him with our current full back, Adam Hartlett who is 196cm and 93kg.
blackandred

Number of posts : 119

Back to top Go down

Post by LukeO9 on Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:13 pm

Nice reports B&R.
The posts on this thread about the 3rd Q haven't mentioned North's stunning change in form. I thought, rather than Westies suddenly dropping off, North showed play reminiscent of their 2013 season. I'm not surprised Westies were bewilder, but I was a little disappointed they didn't adapt to the dramatic change to the game for the whole Q.
I remember Sturt's varying form within a game a couple of years back, but yesterday was ridiculous....never EVER seen that before.....incredible change in form for a Q of a game.
Anyway, congrats to the team for slowing the game down at the start of the last Q and getting the game back on their terms.
Also congrats to Stevens who went back into the pack and got smashed. That led to an immediate goal at a crucial time in the match.
LukeO9

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2014-05-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine on Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:48 pm

B and R, I was honoured to be able to talk briefly to the players about Alan Tregenza and his career and the club ensured we honoured him yesterday.

Andrew Collins did so much to promote our history and that has continued.

Vale 'Trigger'.
Lee Harradine

Number of posts : 703
Registration date : 2014-05-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine on Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:57 pm

Remember when we were bottom year after year?  We complained and fair enough too.

Then we improved and made a GF and a Prelim and we complained we didn't kick enough goals.

Now we're winning and kicking 20 goals a game regularly and we're complaining about one bad quarter.

The Coach fixed up the bad quarter quickly and we then scored 8 goals to 1 in the last.  He'll work further on it this week, I'm sure.

I'd rather talk about Greeny's 5 goals in one quarter, but we're all different.

Vive la difference Laughing
Lee Harradine

Number of posts : 703
Registration date : 2014-05-24

Back to top Go down

Post by bundy on Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:40 pm

Yeah our bloods were brilliant.3/4 bit of a glitch but what a last Quarter WOW EXCITING PLAY TO WATCH I'M EXCITED. cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers
bundy

Number of posts : 289
Job/hobbies : Lawn Bowls at Freeling
Registration date : 2013-09-24

Back to top Go down

Post by testy on Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:07 pm

Well I'm happy to come away from prospect with a 76 point win, in fact in all the times I have been to that place I can't remember winning by so much, and I will bet all on this forum that they haven't either.
Well done to the players on a great win and responding so well to the coach at 3 qtr. time to go on and kick 8 last qtr. goals.

Lets all get along to this weeks game of the round against the eagles.
I just hope we don't lose a player through suspension.
testy

Number of posts : 243

Back to top Go down

Post by captainblood on Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:03 pm

I'm always worried whenever we play North. We just have so much trouble with them, when we do beat them and beat them well I'm somehow confident will have a good year.
Beaten them twice now in one season...happy days.

Collins certainly must take a lot of credit for righting the ship. I was a vocal critic of the game style didn't think we attacked enough and the ball movement was so slow but he did teach accountable football and we recruited well under him. Got us to a grand final and laid a good foundation.

This team is a treat to watch now and we have a few players to come back.
Stevens, and Wasley-Black have been fantastic pick ups. Wasley - Black is in my eyes, another Shannon Green and Tucky.
Never, ever deviates from the contest, he is as hard as nails and his attack on the ball is brutal. Not the most accurate of kicks but he sure can kick a long ball.
Hartlett's reading of the ball and his discipline this year has been exceptional. He is a talented footballer when on song.

The captain needs a mention, week in week out runs the show and lastily "How bloody good is it to have the classiest and most skillful football in the SANFL back and fit."
Porps is silk no other way to describe him, he has time, composure, great hands and his decision making is well Porplyzia like.

They're a talented bunch who have a real dip. If we can kick a few more goals from our man forwards on a regular basis and keep up that intensity then a top three is not out of the question and should be/is the goal.

Last edited by captainblood on Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:40 am; edited 1 time in total
captainblood

Number of posts : 61

Back to top Go down

Post by RODH2 on Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:35 pm

Thanks, captainblood, sure is good to read posts like this.....!! Very Happy
RODH2

Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2015-03-28

Back to top Go down

Post by whispy on Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:39 am

Great effort by the boys apart from that horrible 3rd qtr... but i might be jumping ahead of myself here, but i can't see why we can't go all the way and winning or at least playing in a grand final this year.
I know your all going to jump up and down and say it's too early to call but we have beaten the Eagles and we have another test with them this week, we have come close and should have beaten Norwood.
I believe we have something special with this group of players at the moment, it's very similar to 2003.
So let's go all out and win the ultimate prize, i think we can do it providing we don't get hit with too many injuries and with a bit of luck, why not ?.  Smile
whispy

Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2014-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by dl550 on Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:03 pm

For the record, i don't want to be seen as complaining - but there is a difference between having a "bad" quarter and having a "scoreless" quarter against the bottom side. I'd call that quarter more of a disaster.

i just think we need to have high standards.

I was never one who complained about Collins era - we were competitive pretty every match for 2 years except against Norwood!

Kudos to the good performance for the other 3 quarters and i'm not suprised in Greeny's performance in the last quarter. Everytime i've seen him this year he's been valuable. Even back in the trial matches.

Maybe i'm skeptical as due to work commitments the only 3 matches i've been to this year were against the Crows, Sturt and South. We didn't exactly have great performances in those matches.
dl550

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2014-04-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Mypaspective on Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:11 pm

I'm not going to comment too much for fear of offending.

The game is played over 100 minutes & to have a 13 goal win at our graveyard Prospect is outstanding, regardless of the third qtr. When the opposition have kicked one goal in a half of footy u could relax mentally which is what obviously happened.

Be happy with it plus 2 of the 3 games u mentioned above we won so please fill up your half empty glass.

Winning is a habit.
Mypaspective

Number of posts : 244
Registration date : 2015-03-12

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum