Bloods v Eagles match report

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Bloods v Eagles match report

Post by blackandred on Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:37 pm

There’s a reason the Eagles are top of the table. Their defence concedes an average of 55 pts per game and their strength in this area was evident today – at least in the first 3 Qs. Westies didn’t kick a goal in Q1, 1 goal in Q2 and 2 in Q3 to be 3.8 at 3Q time, trailing the Eagles who had 13.3.

Last week against North we had 13 goals at half time, today we had 1 – such is the difference between the top and bottom teams.

To Westies credit they slammed on 7 goals in the last Q to go down by 15pts, WWT 14.4, WA 10.13.

Our best Qs were the first and last. We could only manage 5pts in the first but we had half the play, drove the ball forward but were strangled on the last line by the pressure applied by the Eagles. The points we scored were mainly rushed as we struggled to develop any forward system and lacked key forwards.

In Q2 and Q3 the Eags booted 9 majors to our 3. The difference between the teams being Michael Wundke who saw off at various times, Keogh, Hardy and Hartlett. He took 9 marks and kicked 4 goals.

Ryan Willets was carried off the field in Q3 after a clash of bodies. He seemed to have been knocked out and we hope all is OK with him.

The last Q was all the Bloods outscoring the Eags by 7 goals to 1. Green booted 3 of his 4 goals this Q. Maybe the Eagles had run out of steam a little but our capacity to win the centre and break their lines this Q did give us so hope come finals time. We are still a work in progress with significant room for improvement and we have players to come back next week.

We had many players today that seemed to succumb to the pressure. Favretto and Jennings struggled with the pace of the game, surprisingly, Tuck seemed off the pace, Newell didn’t find much of the ball and Silverlock burns too many possessions. Homburg played his best game for the club, Hartlett was strong, Porplyzia tried hard and Beech took some lovely marks. Wasley-Black continues to improve. Caire shut down McGregor and Green kicked 4 of our 10 goals.

I stand corrected on this but can only recall one of our goals coming from a mark and set shot. In the last we missed 3 easy set shots for goal.

Fielke and Nelson didn’t play and Jennings and Favretto got their chance. Middleton and Hardy filled in when Willets was carried off.

It’s hard to draw too much from this contest. Outplayed for 3 Qs we ran out the game beautifully. We have Glenelg and Centrals in the next fortnight and both teams are running into some great form. Previously we would have pencilled in wins against them but not any more. We will continue to be tested but we will regain our U18s which will only make us better.
blackandred

Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2013-09-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Bloods v Eagles match report

Post by TAAARS on Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:30 pm

Our forward 6 had their pants pulled down for 3qtrs. We couldn't penetrate the 50m arc in any meaningful way let alone score goals. Lots of work to do here and I would expect a few changes next week. Hartlett clearly our best in my view with only a few others worth any mention. Should have played Nelson, would have given more options up forward.
The only pleasing aspect for me was the way we came back in the last qtr. Only we can't keep doing this. Got away with it against South,nearly did against Norwood but ran out of luck today. We are clearly a very fit side that can run on. Should take advantage of this and run them down earlier.
Otherwise agree with Lee. Smile
TAAARS

Number of posts : 108

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Beswick on Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:14 pm

Was in the Riverland today watching the U15 and U18 Riverland Side play the Barrossa in an interleague game. Thanks to the people of Waikerie for a great day!

Not being at the game, what happened to Willits - I read above he was carried off? Was this early or late in the game?

I can see Agostino, Haysman, Snelling, Francis coming back in along with Fielke, Nelson and maybe Milne next week - Great to get some much needed depth back in all the grades. We need to make sure we don't take the Bays easy as they will want to show improvement and gain respect after the game at the Bay earlier in the year
Mark Beswick

Number of posts : 309

Back to top Go down

Post by firstblood on Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:20 pm

Willits went down with concussion early in the 3rd qtr.. i saw him a little later and he was awake and speaking ok.. he went to hospital as a precaution.
firstblood

Number of posts : 281
Job/hobbies : The light keeper
Registration date : 2007-11-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolf Pack on Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:24 pm

Was tough to watch the rubbish we served up for 3 quarters. Disposal was awful, and we constantly go too wide.
The Eagles were impressive, and they set up really well.
Next week is a massive game. The Bays will be tough to beat. If we serve up what we did today for 3 quarters we will be rolled.
Will Tuck be rubbed out again?????
Wolf Pack

Number of posts : 263
Registration date : 2013-09-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Lachlan on Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:16 pm

Disappointing performance yesterday.
We have fallen short against Norwood,Port and now the Eagles.
On paper our sides against Port and the Eagles were the weakest
For the year however that is no excuse for the way we played.
We do rely on our Baby Bloods for sure but having Ezard,Helbig and
Fielke all unavailable didn't help.

Fielke,Green and our medium forwards have been fantastic all year.
However we haven't had a tall key forward all year who has been able to take
A couple of strong marks when needed.
Hardy has been disappointing since his return.
I would like to see Tuck played through the midfield for a whole game
in the next few weeks

I thought Porps once again was our best yesterday along with Schmidt,Hartlett
Beech,Hill and Caire
Lachlan

Number of posts : 442

Back to top Go down

Post by scorpion on Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:53 pm

I couldn't get to the game yesterday but watched it on TV
Talk about a Jeckyll and Hyde side.
My View
We lost 4 players (Juniors) to state football, got hit with Injuries against Port
so that left the club to replace them on a scale of 1-10 the replacements would rate 4
What worries me is Next year I read in the Phantom Drafts for 2016 we could lose
Francis top 10.....Bonney......top 20...........Snelling Agostino,Haysman, Late picks or Rookied
and maybe Keough
If this happens can we recover
I have been disappointed with Hardy,Newell,Homburg, not to say I could get egg on my face
The coach surprised me by saying we went one on one in the last 1/4 why don't west do this all
the time. there should be a few changes next wk
Will miss the next 3 games Cruising around Australia
In closing I  would like to compliment  M.Middleton in Ruck 21 hit outs well done this lad IS
improving as the season goes on
Go you Bloods !!!!
scorpion

Number of posts : 255
Registration date : 2013-09-24

Back to top Go down

Post by billrobs1 on Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:36 pm

Hartlett was excellent. Skills and endeavour. Absolute quality defender.

Also thought it was Caires best game of the year. Hard nut.

Couldn't take a contested mark in our forward 50.
billrobs1

Number of posts : 141
Registration date : 2014-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Beswick on Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:21 pm

Thanks Firstblood
Mark Beswick

Back to top Go down

Post by Mypaspective on Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:10 pm

Have spoken to big Brucey Willets who is fine. He did not spend long in hospital & has been home all day Sunday relaxing. Lucky boy as people said they heard a terrible crack when he collided. Could have been a lot worse.

Next week the young kids will be available. 4 South Australians selected in the all Australian side. Luke Partington (Norwood), Aaron Francis, Will Snelling & Riley Bonner (all from the mighty Bloods). Hughy Haysman & Jayden Brind also had a good series.

Well done boys u have done our club proud. Now to help us get back on track as we head for the finals. We need your skill, energy & exuberance to re-energise our side.
Mypaspective

Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2015-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by captainblood on Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:18 pm

Every team has bad days and so do coaches.
I'm not that worried if we lose if I saw an attempt to change things up.
To acknowledge something different is tried to what we've  been doing.

The game was really frustrating in that I'm not sure we actually changed much at all until it was forced on us with Willo's injury and our scoreline at three quarter time.

Middleton and Hardy had to go into ruck and this suddenly meant a different look.
Tuck has been a good forward at times this year but he's still the most physical on baller we have, why did it take so long to move him into the centre?

Hartlett did eventually get moved up forward before being moved back down and he added spark when  moved.
Keough was our centre half forward at one stage in his career and a pretty promising one. Can't he be moved forward to try something new, run around, give us a different look, perhaps take a mark. If only for a quarter?

I know there are match up problems etc but Hardy wasn't having an impact up forward so send him back down as was done against Norwood, he still has a pretty big body. Give him a quarter then send him back forward..do something to change the look of the side.

The group I was with were crying out for changes to be made.
One goal in a half is never going to win us that game with a forward line that was dysfunctional,going wide, and not bringing the ball to ground.

In the last quarter we went man on man,Tuck into the centre and we moved the ball quickly, with length and purpose.
I know there's no switch to throw but hell why do we have to dig ourselves into a hole before we react.
The talents there no doubt, when things are going bad sometimes a different look may help, better than losing wondering!
Having got that off my chest we will see the return of the young blokes who will add much needed speed into and around the stoppages.
captainblood

Number of posts : 61

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine on Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:22 am

Good points, CB. Changes were made at half-time, but perhaps it took a while for them to be effective. I agree that Tucky on ball had a very positive effect.

I think we missed Aaron Fielke, as it meant that the Eagles could concentrate more on Greeny.

Our entries inside 50 were generally deplorable most of the day also.

I think we learned a lot from the game and especially the last quarter, where we played very attacking footy.

I have great confidence in Mark Micjan to use the lessons very positively.
Lee Harradine

Number of posts : 691
Registration date : 2014-05-24

Back to top Go down

Post by captainblood on Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:08 am

Having since read the paper from venting my frustration, I now realise that it would have been an extremely difficult time for a lot of the players and coaches whom knew Phil Walsh personally.
I too like what Mickan has brought to the club.
The boys play a type of game style that will succeed in finals. Contested and attacking football that is a pleasure to watch.

captainblood

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian on Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:16 am

4 of our last 8 quarters have produced 28 goals. The other 4 have produced 3 goals. I have no idea what this means but it's pretty hard to know what to expect from us from one quarter to the next.
I do think it's time to conclude that Tuck is an on-baller and not a forward.
aldo russian

Number of posts : 436

Back to top Go down

Post by Mypaspective on Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:58 am

I am only speculating but I have a feeling that the coach is possibly keeping Schmiddy & Tucky out of the cut & thrust of the midfield until the pointy end of the season.

There is no doubt they are our most effective mid fielders (with young Snelling) in our team but it is a long taxing season on the bodies of those guys so it might just be a master stroke.

MM has moved them both into the square at crucial times in previous games which has shown immediate results. I think it was a bit late on Saturday though. Francis & Snelling in particular will give the coach more options in coming weeks.
Mypaspective

Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2015-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by bundy on Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:41 am

Mypaspective wrote:I am only speculating but I have a feeling that the coach is possibly keeping Schmiddy & Tucky out of the cut & thrust of the midfield until the pointy end of the season.

There is no doubt they are our most effective mid fielders (with young Snelling) in our team but it is a long taxing season on the bodies of those guys so it might just be a master stroke.

MM has moved them both into the square at crucial times in previous games which has shown immediate results. I think it was a bit late on Saturday though. Francis & Snelling in particular will give the coach more options in coming weeks.

Given what you are only speculating Myperspective,it is imperative that we maintain a top 3 position.
bundy

Number of posts : 286
Job/hobbies : Lawn Bowls at Freeling
Registration date : 2013-09-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolf Pack on Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:22 am

Don't think we are good enough for a top 3 spot......
Our skill level is a fair way off the Eagles, Port and Norwood.
Wolf Pack

Number of posts : 263
Registration date : 2013-09-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Beswick on Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:20 pm

How did Riley Milne perform in the 2's? He gives us good options both ends of the ground too! Also how did Pete Nelson go? Last time we played the Bays, both of these players did very well

Will be great to have Snelling, Francis, Agostino and Haysman back!
Mark Beswick

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine on Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:23 pm

Riley played well and got plenty of the footy. Turned it over a bit early.

Peter Nelson had a record 77 hitouts, 18 possessions and will be seriously considered, I'd think.
Lee Harradine

Number of posts : 691
Registration date : 2014-05-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Beswick on Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:24 pm

Thanks Lee Smile
Mark Beswick

Back to top Go down

Post by CL85 on Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:08 pm

Tuck offered 1 week for his late hit on Scott Lewis
CL85

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2015-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post by captainblood on Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:58 pm

CL85 wrote:Tuck offered 1 week for his late hit on Scott Lewis

Always been a mystery to me why Scott Lewis left our club so early into his career.
Did another club poach him or was he disgruntled for some reason?
Does anyone know?
captainblood

Back to top Go down

Post by testy on Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:47 pm

captainblood wrote:

Always been a mystery to me why Scott Lewis left our club so early into his career.
Did another club poach him or  was he disgruntled for some reason?
Does anyone know?

Shaun Rehn was our coach at the time he left, ask him he would know.
testy

Number of posts : 243

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian on Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:58 am

captainblood wrote:

Does anyone know?

My understanding is he wanted (and thought he deserved) to spend more time on the ball. Looks like he eventually made the right call.
aldo russian

Number of posts : 436

Back to top Go down

Post by captainblood on Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:59 pm

testy wrote:
captainblood wrote:

Does anyone know?

Shaun Rehn was our coach at the time he left, ask him he would know.
Got his number?
captainblood

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum