Bloods v Dogs match report

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Bloods v Dogs match report

Post by blackandred on Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:18 pm

Anytime you can leave Elizabeth oval with a win is a good day. When we look in the paper tomorrow and see those 2 points it won’t matter how we did it. But it was a close and heartstopping contest at the Ponderosa today as we finally ran out winners 11.12 to 10.7.

Willets and Homburg dropped out of the named 23 while Centrals lost their full forward and full back to illness before the game and so were seriously depleted. Conditions were close to perfect, cool, light winds and a good playing surface.

Our first Q saw us handball happy which, all to often resulted in us turning the ball over in the face of a quick, dogged and determined Doggies outfit. We had plenty of the ball with 120 possesions to their 80 but let ourselves down when going forward with poor disposal and decision making. 1Q WA 2.1 CD 1.1.

Francis went to FF in the second and in the first 5 minutes we had 2 goals and then a third when Francis marked strongly in the goal square at the 11 minute mark. Centrals then dominated the rest of the Q and added 3 goals through superior forward movement, pressure and better skills. Half time WA 5.2 CD 4.4.

The third was a carbon copy as we dominated the play early. Plenty of scoring chances but many wasted. We ended with 2.6 while CD booted 3 including one after the siren to trail by 2 pts at 3Q time. WA 7.8 CD 7.6.

In the last we again started well with goals to Beech and Fielke followed by Silverlock running in for a third but Centrals were not to be denied as they added 3 including a 50m grubber from the boundary that rolled through. At the 24 minute mark we led by only 5 points with all the momentum with the Dogs. When Tuck skilfully hooked one over his shoulder to a waiting Porplyzia, 35m out he made no mistake despite milking around 2 minutes taking his kick.

Back in round 5 be beat Centrals by 34 pts but they are a better team now. Considering they lost 2 key players before the game they were gallant in defeat. We had plenty of the ball and overused it on the day. We had 40 more handballs but 30 less marks. Our forward line was always crowded while the Dogs always had space. Fielke kicked 3 goals. 2 of these were from the boundary and the other from 45 degrees. Great kicks but we lead to the pockets rather than into the corridor where it is easier to score. Centrals matched us in fitness and we couldn’t break free from their pressure. We won because we had better and stronger players and had more of the ball. 23 shots to 17 meant we created plenty of scoring chances.

Schmidt and Stevens had 73 possessions between them. Schmidt was probably best on the ground. No one took more marks than Beech – 9. Fielke with 3 goals, Francis with 2. An important result considering the Power Reserves had a suprising win over the Eagles. It will be critical to secure the double chance come finals.
blackandred

Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2013-09-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Bloods v Dogs match report

Post by Mypaspective on Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:01 am

Fair report B&R.

I thought we struggled all day but having said that Centrals couldn't get past us. A couple of times when we got to 3 goals ahead we couldn't maintain or grow that break to put them away.

Interesting to read that Roy Laird is impressed with our team which says something for our fighting effort. He rarely gives out opposition praise.

Mypaspective

Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2015-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Thiele on Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:39 am

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
2015 PREMIERS. GO BLOODS
Thiele

Number of posts : 373

Back to top Go down

Post by Second Team on Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:24 am

Random Thoughts.

1. Never in the history of football has there been a worst selection mistake. Willo has been the number 1 ruck all year and then got concussed. Has a week off and returns in the reserves.
Hardy and Middleton are key position players that are second rucks at best.
Centrals have the worst rucks in the league by far and rather than exploiting this we give them a chance to break even.
Lets hope with Francis not playing next week we can find a spot for our number one ruckman.

2. Interesting that Snelling got 20 handballs yesterday. I would like to see a stat on how many were effective. For him to play at a higher level he needs to work on this and consistently find a target. Shocked Shocked Shocked

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Kick it forward. It's the new game plan.
Second Team

Number of posts : 420

Back to top Go down

Post by Lachlan on Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:30 pm

Glad to get the 2 points yesterday. Very hard to win at the Ponderosa.
Frustrating game. Should have won by more.
I think we need to have 2 marking targets up forward which we have been
reluctant to do all year. I would play Hardy and Middleton as deep forwards
this week.

Best players Stevens,Tuck,Schmidt,Porps,Beech and Snelling.
Tuck made a big difference when moved into the midfield.
He is a midfielder first and Key forward second
Lachlan

Number of posts : 442

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine on Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:28 pm

ST, Centrals do have the worst rucks in the league, but consistently win or break-even in the clearances.

Yesterday we won the clearances comfortably, so not sure about the worst selection decision in the history of football.

lachlan, I agree with you about Tucky's influence.

Once again, how good was Kaine Stevens? I wonder if there might be some interest in him at a higher level?

I thought a couple of Aaron Francis's marks were top quality.

I think Will Snelling will just continue to improve. For an 18 year old to have 20 handballs at SANFL level is a testament to his skill and especially his workrate. He got to a lot of contests where we really needed someone.

Good to see Ben Klemke look so good up forward in the Reserves in the first half.
Lee Harradine

Number of posts : 691
Registration date : 2014-05-24

Back to top Go down

Post by billrobs1 on Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:20 pm

Willits has been a major contributor to the turnaround this season. I think we would all like to see him take a few more marks and kick a few more goals but his presence around the field is excellent.
Needs to come back into the side.
billrobs1

Number of posts : 141
Registration date : 2014-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine on Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:01 pm

I think that's likely, billrobs, give the size of Adelaide'z rucks.
Lee Harradine

Number of posts : 691
Registration date : 2014-05-24

Back to top Go down

Post by LukeO9 on Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:01 am

Nice report B&R.
Just like last year, I thought the Elizabeth game was great. So strange for this not to get reported, both in the media and here on this forum. Yes, there were turnovers, but if there weren't, the game would have been AFL standard, I thought. It seemed over 90% of kicks and handballs were accurate from both teams. Excellent goal kicking accuracy from tight angles. Central's turnovers were greater in number and in severity (their defensive move across goal that Francis marked in the 3rd), which was the difference between the sides.
As mentioned by Mypasp., every time I thought we would kick clear, Central came back. Not until Tuck's check-side to Porps did I relax....although I almost did when Green snapped 2 mins earlier, where the ball bounced in the middle of the goal share, only to go though for a point...what a bounce! A really exciting game of high standard I thought. Players were confident (or told to by MM) to play on blind, and some resulting alternatives were only to one-on-one contests, but were competitive, if not successful. Fielks comes to mind here...some great marks in tight contests. Interesting to see Francis up front.
Congrats to all involved....I really enjoyed it.
Willits concussion "looked" bad. He didn't move for ages and never got up. A run in the reserves the following week appeared wise.
LukeO9

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2014-05-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Mypaspective on Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:40 pm

Re the first point in your above post ST I agree that the non selection of Brucey was bewildering to most people including myself. Fortunately we won the game but it is now time the side starts to settle down in positions during the final 5 rounds so that we go into the finals series with more stability.

However I don't think it is the worst selection decision ever made in history. Can you remember when Collo left out Rory Laird for a critical finals match a few years ago. I thought that one was worse. Have a look what Rory is doing now. He is a little champion.

Maybe with time young Agostino can emulate Rory's talent. I think he has the poise & skills, just needs more experience which will only come with game time at league level.

I also agree with ST with regards to Will Snelling coughing up several hand passes, some at critical times which caused damaging turnovers. His quickness to get rid of the cherry is great but he needs to lift the eyes sometimes & wait the split second before releasing.

It is easy from here isn't it. At least he is getting plenty of it so we can't be too critical.

Mypaspective

Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2015-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Thiele on Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:09 pm

Highlights of Francis Marks up on the SANFL site

2015 PREMIERS. GO BLOODS
Thiele

Number of posts : 373

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian on Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:20 am

If Willits comes into the side, the question then is which of Hardy and Middleton plays more as a permanent forward? And do they give us enough to warrant their selections as permanent forwards? And if/when Webb becomes available, what happens with the four of them?
aldo russian

Number of posts : 436

Back to top Go down

Post by Jamo on Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:45 am

aldo russian wrote:If Willits comes into the side, the question then is which of Hardy and Middleton plays more as a permanent forward? And do they give us enough to warrant their selections as permanent forwards? And if/when Webb becomes available, what happens with the four of them?

Hardy warrants a permanent forward position since coming into the side, he has not being able to just play as a forward and show why he won a ken farmer medal. Hardy is a very good kick for goal.

Webby is going to have to fight his way into the side, in my view Nelson and Willo work well together and Nelson( as much as I have disliked him in the past) is learning a lot with willows help and is another good tall option resting up forward. If webby was to come in I would have him and nelson as willow is not giving us as much of a option up forward as once did in the past.

also I would love to see jimmy running off 1/2 back again, when he feels he's rights. he is a big key member to our leadership group and part of the West Adelaide furniture.

on a up side I love how all the boys and gelling together not just as a team but as a family and helping one another through each others hard times there going through at different times.

West Adelaide is Family not just a club, it's good to see that true sprit around the boys again.

Luke

RED BLACK 2015.
Jamo

Number of posts : 160
Job/hobbies : Accounts Manager Timber Wholesale
Registration date : 2013-09-28

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum