bundy

Number of posts : 286
Job/hobbies : Lawn Bowls at Freeling
Registration date : 2013-09-24

Back to top Go down

Re: Reappointed

Post by Second Team on Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:54 pm

Excellent news. Shocked Shocked Shocked

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Kick it forward. It's the new game plan.
Second Team

Number of posts : 420
Registration date : 2013-09-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine on Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:48 pm

Apostrophe plurals.....aaargh!!
Lee Harradine

Number of posts : 691
Registration date : 2014-05-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine on Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:53 pm

Very happy with the appointment.

Mark has done a great job and the decision will add to the stability will be valuable.
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by Thiele on Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:04 pm

Great news

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
2015 PREMIERS. GO BLOODS
Thiele

Number of posts : 373

Back to top Go down

Post by Lachlan on Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:11 pm

Fantastic news. Good to see the board being so proactive
Lachlan

Number of posts : 442

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolfman Jack on Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:31 pm

Fabulous appointment. Mark certainly has the side playing an attractive brand of footy.
Wolfman Jack

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2013-10-04

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian on Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:24 am

A sound decision. I hope the proofreader hasn't been appointed for a further two years though.
aldo russian

Number of posts : 436

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian on Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:14 am

Interview with the coach about his reappointment.

https://soundcloud.com/sanfl/mark-mickan-chats-about-his-2-year-co
aldo russian

Back to top Go down

Post by billrobs1 on Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:52 am

Based on this seasons results alone it would seem like a sound decision.

A couple of lingering questions I have however.....

Collins left a Dept which MM is currently enjoying....(i) high quality recruits eg Stevens & Tuck, (ii) the development of key position players eg Beech, Hartlett, Keough etc etc and (iii) some superb kids. (Queue ST response Shocked  Shocked  Shocked)

Now it would seem the standard of our reserves and our juniors has dropped during MM's tenure.

I cant help but think what will be MM's legacy?

What is he doing to ensure sustainable success?
billrobs1

Number of posts : 141
Registration date : 2014-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian on Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:29 pm

I'd challenge some of that billrobs. Firstly, Stevens was recruited under Mickan's tenure; Hartlett spent 5 years on an AFL list so I don't know that Andy would claim the credit for his development as a KPP; and I don't think Andy could take credit for anything that Snelling, Francis, Haysman etc have done. Add to that that Mickan has lost the best defence in the comp (Ferguson, Mangan and Tippett) and less than 2 years later we're 2nd on the ladder.

As for the standard of juniors dropping, I'm not sure that coaches can ever fully claim credit or blame for that sort of thing because I tend to think the underage talent that comes through is out of their control. (Unless they're fathering them themselves.)

Last edited by aldo russian on Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
aldo russian

Back to top Go down

Post by billrobs1 on Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:06 pm

Some good points AR and I note the correction re. Stevens. (well done to whomever can be credited with this one!!)
Maybe I didnt use the best examples but I still firmly believe that AC left with us with a very positive legacy.
So I take it that the current batch of young ones e.g. S, F & H are the result of just luck?? I cant believe this.
I would be concerned if the head coach does not have a major influence on the operations of the clubs reserves and in particular the junior structures.

billrobs1

Back to top Go down

Post by captainblood on Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:17 pm

Congratulations Mark. He has us playing a good brand of football that is good to watch and I feel the right type of style to make a run at the flag.
Andrew Collins certainly set the foundations and Mickan to his credit has introduced a more direct and free flowing game style. He has also been quick to recognise the quality of juniors coming through and played them.
He definitely deserved to be reward for this season's success so far.
captainblood

Number of posts : 61

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian on Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:19 pm

billrobs1 wrote:
So I take it that the current batch of young ones e.g. S, F & H are the result of just luck?? I cant believe this.
I would be concerned if the head coach does not have a major influence on the operations of the clubs reserves and in particular the junior structures.

Look, I'm only guessing really but I can't believe Andy Collins went out and found a handful of outstanding 12 year-olds who weren't already aligned to our club and signed them. If they're in your zone, highly talented and are playing footy, generally they're going to make their way through. I think the spotting of talented kids who are not in any of the club's pathways is done by others (again, my best guess.) Developing those kids is another matter, and perhaps is an area where coaches can more rightly take credit.
aldo russian

Back to top Go down

Post by Mypaspective on Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:08 pm

Spot on Aldo. The ebbs & flows of junior talent is something very hard to put your finger on.

Within our zones both metro & country we have different periods where you seem to get a run of really good juniors then a hiatus where the quality drops off for a time.

Last year we had an exceptional group of talent, probably the best since the 2003 draft where we had another amazing group including Ben Rutten, Adam Cooney, Jason Porplyzia, Sam Fisher & a few others that escape me. All came through our junior program except for Shane Tuck who was also drafted at the time.

Thanks also Aldo for that link to the interview with Mark MICKAN. it was an impressive interview & what struck me the most is Mark's main motivation in coaching West Adelaide. He claims he feels a responsibility to all the devoted people who have given the club so much for so long. That tells me where his heart really lies & what a high quality person he is.

Interestingly it is followed by an interview with the new SA Police Commissioner, Grant Stevens who gives Westies a nice rap at the end of the discussion because of his son Josh Stevens now playing for our U18's.

Some posters may also like to know that (former Glenelg coach, now Director of Football for Adelaide FC), David Noble's twin boys are also playing for our U18's. They are real goers & were told by Glenelg that they weren't wanted so hopefully they can continue to improve & forge a career with the Mighty Bloods.
Mypaspective

Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2015-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Beswick on Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:13 pm

FYI- It was Mark Mickan's idea to make Keough a Full Back - Andy had him playing CHF.... All coahes have different ideas on players - This was a great move by the current coach.

I got on well with Andy but am impressed with Mark's style of coaching both tactically and the way he cares and communicates with players. He is methodical and made sure we started 2015 with few injuries - this he achieved- He is Very very different to Andy, and I am enjoying our wins far far more. You always feel we can now score quickly and have a chance to win games which could not happen under a negative game-plan.

For the record, from 2008-2013 our ressies finished 8th, 7th, 5th, 7th, 4th and 7th....
Mark Beswick

Number of posts : 309

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine on Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:38 pm

We were a basket case when Andrew Collins took over. We finished bottom in his first year and he turned over most of the underperforming list and had to build up a new side, which he did quickly and brilliantly.

IMO, he changed the club and laid the foundations for continued success, in an environment which was financially difficult.

We had a poor 'transition' year last year, for a number of very valid reasons.

It"s a very happy and united group at the club now and Mark's game plan and approach is really positive. Mark's calm and intelligent approach is very impressive.

Our task mow is to ensure we reach the top and strengthen the foundations for continuing success.
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by Second Team on Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:02 pm

Any premierships we win from now on will definitely be because of what Andy Collins did. Shocked Shocked Shocked

Kick it forward. It's the new game plan.
Second Team

Number of posts : 420

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine on Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:38 am

Of course not, but it's fair to acknowledge that he changed us for the better, regardless of your personal dislike of him.

Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by billrobs1 on Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:16 am

I dont understand the hurry to reappoint MM???

What has he achieved to warrant such a decision:
The good - (i) 7 wins this year (ii) a new game style
The bad - (i) reserves and junior results would indicate a concerning lack of depth (ii) a diabolical year last year (iii) losses to top sides this year
The unknown - THE REMAINING 3 GAMES OF THE MINOR ROUND AND A FINALS SERIES. What happens if we cant compete againt the top sides?

We all enjoy the new game style but is it blurring our judgement?

Why couldnt we wait to the end of the season to make this decision?

Was he considering other opportunities???
billrobs1

Back to top Go down

Post by Jamo on Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:41 pm

***NO COMMENT***

RED BLACK 2015.
Jamo

Number of posts : 160
Job/hobbies : Accounts Manager Timber Wholesale
Registration date : 2013-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine on Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:51 am

Fair questions, billrobs.

The problems with addressing this after the season were perhaps illustrated when Mark was originally appointed late and we saw what happened then.

I think it was prudent to look at the coaching situation now, as it had to be first decided whether the club would reappoint Mark or search for a new coach. If a new coach, that decision needed to be made early, if not announced. so that the club was ready to go as soon as the season finished.

I suppose the factors looked at in the reappointment included:

Is Mark the right man?
Is his coaching style what we want?
Does he have the respect of the players and club?
Is there a co-operative attitude between players, coaches and staff?
Are the on-field results going the way we want to see?
Is Mark's communication good?
Is his plan going forward credible and achievable?
Would a new coach improve our prospects?
Is there a better coach available right now?
Will a new coach lead to another period of instability?

These are just some of the questions, amongst many others, that had to be answered in the process.

You're right in that the results of our next few games could change the season's result, but that doesn't invalidate the above process or change the thinking.

It's interesting that South have reappointed Brad Gotch, despite South being 5th and in danger of missing the finals, unless they beat us on Saturday. I think they would have addressed the same questions and come up with the same answer.

Mark ticks all the boxes and the good news is that he has a happy, united club behind him and he's a very astute and respected coach.

As for juniors, it isn't surprising we're having a difficult year after a premiership last year and several of those players now playing League football, but we're working hard and planning every day to improve our young playing stocks.

Thanks for a thoughtful post, mate.

Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by Jamo on Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:28 pm

One question.is it 3rd time lucky for him to take a side that next step to win a flag or is the past a sign

RED BLACK 2015.
Jamo

Number of posts : 160
Job/hobbies : Accounts Manager Timber Wholesale
Registration date : 2013-09-28

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum