Grand Final match report

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Go down

Grand Final match report

Post by blackandred on Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:17 am

For the true believers, who have waited 32 years since our last flag, this was the sweetest victory. Coming from 9th last year the Bloods capped a magnificent year by beating premiership favourites WWT, 11.12 to 7.6.

Westies led all day. Their capacity to get to a contest and harass the Eagles into error and by the sheer number of their possessions saw them run our comfortable winners in the end, in front of 25000 people in perfect conditions for footy.

Homburg and Anderson were the unlucky players to miss out.

Webb started in ruck, Willets on the bench. Logan Hill took McGregor, Keough, Wundke, Hartlett, Ainger and Jarrad ran with Jonno Beech.

Silverlock only lasted 15 minutes before injuring his left leg and could not contribute for the remainder of the match. We booted 4 goals in a mistake-riddled first Q, the highlight being Daniel Webb turning his opponent inside out and running in to goal. Westies had 104 possessions to their 50 in a dominant display.
1Q WA 4.1, Eagles 2.0.

The second Q saw us close to breaking the world record for kicking out on the full. But this was a GF and it wasn’t pretty footy. We cleared away early and led 6 goals to 2 at one point but big Wundke got them back into the game and at half time he had 3 of their 5 goals. Helbig looked to have been reported for a high bump on Wundke and Willets went down heavily as we went 23 minutes without a goal. At the long break we had had 50 more possessions but led by only 8 pts, WA 6.5, Eagles 5.3.

We looked the better side to this point but couldn’t convert our dominance into scoring chances and besides, the Eagles are a class outfit and fought us for every inch.

Wundke kicked his 4th at the 3 min mark of the third Q and it was 2 pts the difference. Goals to Webb, Green and Stevens saw us 15 pts in front at 3Q time. Hartlett was injured but with 3 goals to their 2 we had won the all important premiership Q .
3Q WA 9.8, Eagles 7.5.

The last saw the Eags throw everything at us for the first ten minutes. We could not get the ball into our forward line in this critical period but we denied them a goal through superb defence led by the magnificent Jason Porplyzia who had the ball on a string. It was only 14 pts the difference when, at the ten min mark Beech took a strong mark and goalled and when Green ran into an open goal at the 19 min mark we were 29pts up and we were home. The Eagles only managed a solitary behind in the last Q. The last 3 minutes of the game comprised Westies doing circle work to deny the Eagles and run down the clock. Final score WA 11.12 to the Eagles 7.6.

Chris Schmidt, deservedly, won the Jack Oatey medal. He amassed 44 disposals. Porplyzia was terrific all day. His wonderful ball skills are a joy to watch and his last Q playing back was simply magnificent. The unsung Daniel Caire played a great game as did Tuck, Helbig, Stevens, Schiller and so the list goes on. Logan Hill kept McGregor to one kick! Shannon Green kicked 3 gls and Webb (in his 100th game) and Beech 2 apiece.

We won this match because we played as a team and we had superior fitness and mental and physical toughness. The balance of our team was better than the opposition and, although playing so many talls was a risk, it paid off.

Congratulations to the players, the coaching and support staff.

2015 premiers. Go the Bloods

blackandred

Number of posts : 129
Registration date : 2013-09-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Grand Final match report

Post by billrobs1 on Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:54 am

Have enjoyed your reports all year b&r and this is the best one!!!

Thought Hartlett looked "proppy" from the start but he compensated with great nous. Champion.

Webb's goal was the highlight for me.

Thanks to MM (sorry I ever doubted you), all in footy operations and the volunteers.

Thanks also to all contributors to this forum....your all champs!!!

billrobs1

Number of posts : 141
Registration date : 2014-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Lachlan on Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:53 am

B&R

Once again thanks for a very insiteful match report.

We really played our brand of football yesterday.
IN FACT I honestly believe we should have won by more
We were prepared to take risks all day.

To play Tuck through the Midfield all day was definitely the right call
To have Porplyzia play Midfield/back was also a masterstroke
Both these moves were employed in the last Quarter of the Second Semi
and they worked sensationally well.
Chris Schmidt has had an amazing year and he richly deserved the Jack Oatey medal

Our Midfield were dominant yesterday with Stevens and Schiller also playing great footy.
These 2 guys have taken their game to another level this year.

Our defence was magnificent Logan Hill on McGregor was outstanding.
Hartlett smashed Ainger.
Harts has been a real leader this year and he has let his footy do the talking

Brad Helbig was also outstanding and definitely in the best players. His last
two weeks has been very consistent. I thought his ball use yesterday was very good

Lachlan

Number of posts : 473

Back to top Go down

Post by Mypaspective on Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:16 am

Great report B&R.  I also thank you for your accurate & enjoyable reports during the season even after a loss at times.

I am so proud of our whole footy club. I have been involved since 1969 as an u19's player through to my current involvement.

We have seen players come & go. We have seen other people & volunteers come & go. But to those of you who have stuck fat for so long & dedicated much of your lives to your beloved club, you have now been rewarded in the most precious fashion one could only dream of.

My special & sincere thanks to 2 of our 1983 heroes who have worked tirelessly over the past couple of years to bring this success & help mould the club back together.  To Mark Mickan & John Kantilaftas your leadership & love of the red & black has "got the job done" as they say.

I remember vividly at our 2015 Season launch Mark MICKAN saying that he wanted to bring a premiership to our club, not for himself, not for the players but for all the loyal, hard working people who have been so patient for so long.  Mark has turned out to be a fantastic appointment. After all he went through at Glenelg he is now a premiership coach & deserves every bit of it. Suck it up Gary Metcalfe. Another bewildering decision by that club.

WELL HERE IT IS PEOPLE. GO YOU GOOD THINGS.

I LOVE THIS GROUP OF PLAYERS. THEY HAVE BEEN IMMORTALISED IN OUR HISTORY.
Mypaspective

Number of posts : 270
Registration date : 2015-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Second Team on Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:50 pm

Random thoughts.

1. Well done to all involved. A great day was had by all.
2. Lets start a dynasty and win the next 4.
3. Won the rucks and smashed them in the clearances.
4. Standout performances from Schmidty, Porps and Tucky.
5. Good to see Greeny get a few goals again.
6. Great goal to Webby up the southern end. Didn't know he was that fast.
7. All players stood up when it counted.
8. Felt sorry for Taite on the day and also for Hommy, Ando and Hardy.
9. Good to see Collins finally worked out that you need to score to win. That didn't take long.
10. Hopefully we don't lose too many and that we can pick up a few good ones.
11. Special mention to Ditts, Bobby, Ted, Jason and Johnny. All great club people and always good for a chat.
12. Great to be a Westies fan this week. Shocked Shocked Shocked

Last edited by Second Team on Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:31 am; edited 1 time in total

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Kick it forward. It's the new game plan.
Second Team

Number of posts : 449

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Lachlan on Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:30 pm

ST

Have Loved your random thoughts all year.
Webby was certainly an important player for us in the finals
Lachlan

Number of posts : 473

Back to top Go down

Post by Thiele on Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:12 pm

Second Team wrote:
11. Special mention to Ditts, Bobby, Ted, Jason and Johnny. All great club people and always good for a chat.
12. Great to be a Westies fan this week. Shocked Shocked Shocked
Thanks Mate

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
2015 PREMIERS. GO BLOODS
Thiele

Number of posts : 418

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian on Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:53 am

It really was a very even performance by the team, apart from Schmidt and Porplyzia's stand-out games. Strangely I thought the Eagles seemed tentative in the first quarter, and only got back in the game in the second when they applied a lot more pressure.

Great testament to our fitness that we could outscore so convincingly (2.4 to 0.1) in the last quarter a team that had had two 2-week breaks in the finals.

Special mention to Webby for what must be the best goal he's ever kicked. I thought that goal exemplified the way we wanted to play, taking your opponent on and taking a chance. And it must have sent a message to his teammates that if the biggest guy on the ground can do that, so can everyone else.
aldo russian

Number of posts : 511

Back to top Go down

Post by Second Team on Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:02 pm

aldo russian wrote:It really was a very even performance by the team, apart from Schmidt and Porplyzia's stand-out games. Strangely I thought the Eagles seemed tentative in the first quarter, and only got back in the game in the second when they applied a lot more pressure.

Great testament to our fitness that we could outscore so convincingly (2.4 to 0.1) in the last quarter a team that had had two 2-week breaks in the finals.

Special mention to Webby for what must be the best goal he's ever kicked. I thought that goal exemplified the way we wanted to play, taking your opponent on and taking a chance. And it must have sent a message to his teammates that if the biggest guy on the ground can do that, so can everyone else.

Well said.

Kick it forward. It's the new game plan.
Second Team

Number of posts : 449

Back to top Go down

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum