West vs Adelaide @ Berri

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

View previous topic View next topic Go down

West vs Adelaide @ Berri

Post by Thiele on Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:45 pm

West Adelaide captain Chris Schmidt won’t play again this season after dislocating his shoulder in Round 19.
Schmidt, who will miss the clash against Adelaide at Berri Oval from 1.10pm on Sunday, is one of three Bloods excluded from the 23-man squad.
Ken Farmer Medallist Justin Hardy will miss with an ankle ailment while Jack Evans has been sent back to the Reserves.
Star midfielder Kaine Stevens should cover the absence of Schmidt while Mildura’s Josh Ryan could make his IGA League debut after previously being trimmed from the extended squad.
Goalsneak John Noble and utility Tyson Slattery have also been elevated while Graham Hampton could play his first IGA League match of the season after managing two in 2015.

League
F: Rankine, Wasley-Black, Fielke
HF: Silverlock, Middleton, Green
C: Agostino, Tuck, Schiller
HB: Burgess, Favretto, Hill
B: Caire, Hartlett, Turner

R: Webb, O’Brien, Haysman
INT: Slattery, J. Noble, G. Hampton, J. Ryan, K. Stevens
IN: K. Stevens, J. Noble, J. Ryan, Slattery, G. Hampton
OUT: Schmidt (shoulder), Hardy (ankle), J. Evans

Reserves
Stubbs, Pillion, Homburg, McPherson, L. Ryan, M. Noble, I. Johnson, Inglis, Heitmann, Majok, O. Johnson, Scott, J. Evans, Fitzpatrick, Male, Westhoff, Cameron, Karpany, L. Evans.

Under-18
Goldner, Rana, Eichner, Caruso, Baker, Hocking, Alaeddin, Crump, R. Moore, Walton, Beard, Wagner, West, Heitmann, Lampard, E. Moore, M. Johnson, Binnion, M. Noble, Satanek, Allen, Cameron.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
2015 PREMIERS. GO BLOODS
Thiele

Number of posts : 368
Registration date : 2013-09-25

Back to top Go down

Re: West vs Adelaide @ Berri

Post by Wolf Pack on Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:26 pm

60 points down at half time!!!!!
100 points on the cards!!!!!
We wouldn't beat the best Div 1 SAAFL team at the minute.
Wolf Pack

Number of posts : 261
Registration date : 2013-09-27

Back to top Go down

Post by The Axis on Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:36 pm

Not a great day for us today at Berri. The difference in class obvious for all to see.  Much bigger bodies, very slick skills and polished play. Still you would expect that from a team of full time footballers against a team of players who have regular jobs or are studying. To our boys credit they never stopped trying but were just outclassed. A lot of the faithful came up from Westies to watch and that was great. One more trip to Elizabeth and then we put the year away.
The Axis

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2015-05-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Mypaspective on Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:33 pm

Unfair Wolfpack (especially the amateur comment) & a fair analysis Axis.

Considering the age & inexperience of our boys together with our outs I was pleased with the boys effort apart from a small period in the last qtr where the pressure we had applied all day dropped.

Several really young players 3 of which have played 2 games or less. Izac will be really good next year & didnt look out of place against much bigger opposition. He is super quick.

We have played some unwatchable footy this year but despite the score difference we played some really good entertaining footy with some good form shown by several. Mason, Kane, Josh Schiller, Taite & Zak were a few & Webby needs a special mention for toiling hard all day. He came down on an ankle at his first ruck contest & things looked grim but he battled on manfully against 2 giants.

Proud of their effort today. Looked like boys against men & it probably was.
Mypaspective

Number of posts : 235
Registration date : 2015-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian on Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:36 pm

Not a personal criticism Mypaspective but I get worried when people find positives in 94 point thrashings. I worry that the depth of our problems will be underestimated. Call me negative but I don't think focussing on any positives is going to help us. We need to focus on the problems so we can begin to resolve them.
It's a strange thing to say a year after a flag but there has to be some questions asked about the coaching. We've been awful since the first trial match and the coaches have not been able to elicit much improvement across the season, with our last 4 games producing our 3 biggest defeats of the year.
aldo russian

Number of posts : 428

Back to top Go down

Post by Mypaspective on Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:53 pm

I guess u just had to be there Aldo.

There is a thorough review of the season going on at the moment.

I stand by my comments, not to defend a very disappointing & frustrating season but I witnessed an undermanned, undersized group of kids playing 20 full time, well drilled AFL listed players.

They busted their guts for 95% of the game. Credit where credit is due.

Just my opinion.
Mypaspective

Number of posts : 235
Registration date : 2015-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by MR BLOODHOUND on Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:07 pm

Unless you made the effort to go to Berri , which I did , don't criticise something you did not witness. The players put in a great effort against a stronger team who if you remember thrashed us in a game at Richmond last year .
MR BLOODHOUND

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2015-05-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine on Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:22 pm

It was a strange game, with strange outcomes.

Those who say we played a lot of good football are generally correct. We kicked 13.7, Mason Middleton was a strong marking forward with 4 goals without a miss and Errin Wasley-Black added 3 to his 5 the week before. 7 goals from our key forwards was good. The players' efforts couldn't be faulted up to the last quarter, when we fell away a bit.

On the other hand, we lost by 94 points, which is a thrashing. Adelaide had virtually an AFL team and our own Jonno Beech kicked 4 goals against us, which hurt and showed the disparity between an AFL side's resources and us. Adelaide certainly were stronger, bigger, more skilled and punished us for every turnover, which blew out the result.

Having said that, we are in the same competition, for better or worse, and have to be able to beat these sides. We all know we've had a shocker of a year; draft losses and a huge injury list have taken their toll, but we would all agree our season has been unacceptable.

The club is already well into the process of making sure we learn from the last two years to ensure we start next season in the best shape possible. That will no doubt require strong and well-targeted recruiting (already under way) and changes to the areas that have not worked as they should this season.

There were some good signs yesterday, but we lost by 94 points. There's work to do, and quickly.

Lee Harradine

Number of posts : 685
Registration date : 2014-05-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Lachlan on Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:29 pm

I was at the game and to lose by 94 points was unacceptable in my eyes.
It's true we had a number of players unavailable, however I cannot
accept such a significant thrashing.
Lachlan

Number of posts : 440

Back to top Go down

Post by Lachlan on Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:34 pm

Wasley-Black has played well over the last couple of weeks as
a Key forward, however we desperately need to sign another
marking forward to assist Middleton.

Last edited by Lachlan on Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lachlan

Number of posts : 440

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine on Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:00 pm

Both your posts are correct, lachlan, IMO.
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian on Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:44 pm

MR BLOODHOUND wrote:Unless you made the effort to go to Berri , which I did , don't criticise something you did not witness.

I think if you read my post you'll see that I actually haven't criticised something I didn't witness.

aldo russian

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian on Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:20 pm

Mypaspective wrote:
I stand by my comments, not to defend a very disappointing & frustrating season but I witnessed an undermanned, undersized group of kids playing 20 full time, well drilled AFL listed players.

They busted their guts for 95% of the game. Credit where credit is due.

Just my opinion.

Sure, I'm not questioning the players' efforts, I wasn't there. But 'an undersized group of kids'? 12 Premiership players plus experienced players in O'Brien and Slattery, and along with Agostino that's 15 first-choice players. Adelaide had 17 AFL-listed players; they had 11 players who haven't played an AFL game. That shouldn't result in a 94-point loss.
aldo russian

Back to top Go down

Post by LukeO9 on Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:40 pm

Put me down as someone who thought West played comparatively well...compared to their previous games, not to that of Adelaide. Adelaide were phenomenal, perhaps better than the Eagles. A well-manned AFL reserves is near impossible, but these teams are here to stay, so we need to get use to it. I think the trashing was due to Webb's injury early on. The ankle again!?! He came back on but could not jump. No other designated ruckman is what the team has had to endure for many games this year.
Anyway, it was a great day out and I enjoyed myself. I thought the players put in a good effort and played well. I hope a Riverland game will be on for next year as well.
LukeO9

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2014-05-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Thiele on Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:24 pm

Thought the players put in a good effort on Sunday

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
2015 PREMIERS. GO BLOODS
Thiele

Number of posts : 368

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolf Pack on Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:37 pm

I don't know how anyone can find any positives out of a 15 goal loss.
This year has been one of the worst in our history.
We won 2 games ( and were lucky in both of them)
We lost 16 and have a percentage under 40!!!!
It's simply unacceptable.
You never see sides such as the Eagles or Central fall away like we have this year.....
Wolf Pack

Number of posts : 261
Registration date : 2013-09-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Bloodsforever on Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:43 pm

Only saw 2 games live both were big losses. It is hard to believe that with the players we had each week we could not win a few more games this year.

We may not win the games but we win the possession count each week.

A review of players and coaches should be carried out at season end.

Hopefully the review will show the Club what they need to do for 2017?

Bloodsforever

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2016-04-03

Back to top Go down

Post by LukeO9 on Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:50 am

Wolf Pack wrote:I don't know how anyone can find any positives out of a 15 goal loss.

The 15 goal loss occurred, I believe, due to the opposition (significant number of AFL-ready players in key positions) and our only ruckman's early injury, as I felt West played quite well. The positives I saw were the consistency in effort throughout the whole game, and the tendency to gel as a team, which has been the missing factor this year, probably due to the transient nature of the line up each week. On Sunday, I saw a lot more confidence: playing on blind in the hope of finding an open receiver and the increased chance of finding that player.
The positives come from a comparison to games played previously this year, not the Premiership season last year.
To find positives in this season as a whole? Well, that's much more difficult. Everybody wondered what effect the loss of those Premiership players would be, but nobody saw such a difficulty season coming. I hear a "post analysis" is ongoing. The accuracy of, and response to, this analysis is this club's make-or-break moment in terms of sustaining a significant period of competitive strength. I wish it well.
LukeO9

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2014-05-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine on Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:05 am

A detailed review has already commenced.

The aim of the review is to ensure we're in the best possible position for next season.

The review will be detailed and thorough.

Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian on Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:11 am

LukeO9 wrote:

The 15 goal loss occurred, I believe, due to the opposition (significant number of AFL-ready players in key positions) and our only ruckman's early injury, as I felt West played quite well.

Just on the issue of ruckmen, at one point in the game on Sunday Adelaide led us in hit outs something like 29 to 7, yet we led the clearances 19 to 12. This suggests to me that ruckmen are of little importance or influence at SANFL level.

Similarly, winning clearances doesn't necessarily translate into winning games, especially if your clearance ends up in the hands of the opposition. Good kicking skills are paramount today and this should be a major criterion in our recruiting.
aldo russian

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum