CEO

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

View previous topic View next topic Go down

CEO

Post by Lee Harradine on Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:10 am

After 12 years as an SANFL Club administrator, the last 4 served at West Adelaide Football Club, John Kantilaftas has advised the Board that he will not seek to continue as CEO at the end of his contract on December 31st 2016. He will be pursuing other challenges as he has accepted a part time role as Project Officer with Surf Life Saving SA.

“ I want to wish everyone at the Club and on the football side every success for the future”
Lee Harradine

Number of posts : 653
Registration date : 2014-05-24

Back to top Go down

Re: CEO

Post by whispy on Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:01 am

Makes one think he's jumping off a sinking ship, sad to see him go but he's been great for the club and i wish him well.
A true gentleman and a great past player.
whispy

Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2014-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella on Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:33 am

Thank you john for the work you have done and your kind responsibe manner to any supporter who you spoke too.

Frankly i am a bit shattered by this news.

Are we changing to a split control system similar to sturt and the eagles lee
Oldfella

Number of posts : 242
Job/hobbies : Retired due to being certified mad
Registration date : 2013-09-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine on Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:40 am

whispy wrote:Makes one think he's jumping off a sinking ship, sad to see him go but he's been great for the club and i wish him well.
A true gentleman and a great past player.

You'll be pleased to know that the off-field ship is more seaworthy than it has been for many years.

Much of that is due to the work John has done and he deserves great appreciation for his passion and devotion to the club.  He's one of our greats and leaves on his terms and his timing.
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by whispy on Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:07 am

Nothing negative here re Kantilaftas, but Lee you claim the ship is seaworthy, i was at the club earlier this week and was told by some one in the know that the club couldn't even afford to buy toilet paper for the toilet blocks around the ground just a few weeks ago.
Doesn't sound like a seaworthy ship to me.
whispy

Back to top Go down

Post by bundy on Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:25 am

whispy wrote:Nothing negative here re Kantilaftas, but Lee you claim the ship is seaworthy, i was at the club earlier this week and was told by some one in the know that the club couldn't even afford to buy toilet paper for the toilet blocks around the ground just a few weeks ago.
Doesn't sound like a seaworthy ship to me.
No not right Whispy,we have been told time and time again we are doing ok financially affraid .
bundy

Number of posts : 281
Job/hobbies : Lawn Bowls at Freeling
Registration date : 2013-09-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine on Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:04 am

It's a fair question, so I'll give some detail.  I'm sure you'd rather we were traveling OK than not, so hopefully (?) this will help.

Most SANFL clubs have struggled for years now, West Adelaide definitely being one of those.  We have been losing money for years, often significant amounts, as per the published financials. 2 years ago, we were in great difficulty, as along with most clubs, revenue from gaming, attendances and most income streams were declining dramatically.

Unlike most clubs, though, our assets comfortably covered our liabilities, with plenty to spare and that is still the case.

Our cash flow, though, was terrible.  We had to do something dramatic, so the Board, led by the President, entered into a ground-breaking arrangement with a wonderful group of passionate supporters who assisted us financially in a major way.  The details of this are in my last Finance Director's Report to the members at the AGM.

The result was that we still owned our building and had NO long-term debt, but our day-to-day cash flow and payment of creditors was still difficult.  Our cash flow is seasonal - our expenses are obviously very much higher in the footy season, while our income spreads over 12 months.

That means we sometimes find it hard to pay some of our bills on time, as you refer to, but we do always pay our bills.

Our debt has decreased by $250,000 in the last 12 months, due to SANFL distributions and will reduce similarly each year over the next 5 years.

We are travelling better now than we have for many years and will continue to do so, despite a hard battle for a decent share of revenue.  Many people are putting in huge hours and a lot of personal stress to handle this situation and we'll continue to do so.

I believe in keeping members and supporters informed, so I have no problem writing this.

You have the right to question the Board about finances, preferably constructively, but I'll leave it to others to judge the way one or two do that. I can say one thing  - if all members and supporters drank or ate at the club regularly, we wouldn't have a cash flow problem.

My thanks go to the vast majority who understand that the Board volunteer their time to try to find a solution to the numerous problems that crop up in a footy club at this level. We're just passionate supporters too.

Again, thanks to all those who support our club and I can confidently reiterate that the ship is very seaworthy.  Our immediate priorities are on recruiting, so I hope the above answers financial questions so we can put all our efforts into that.
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by 618315 on Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:46 am

Well said Lee. Now can we all put 2016 behind us, learn from it and look forward positively to 2017. We have enough people from other clubs only too ready to put us down without our own constantly posting negative, sarcastic comments.

Number of posts : 21

Back to top Go down

Post by testy on Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:28 pm

Yes if that doesn`t appease the s*** stirrers nothing will.
testy

Number of posts : 243

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian on Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:38 pm

testy wrote:

And if we had fewer shitstirrers we'd need less toilet paper.
aldo russian

Number of posts : 415

Back to top Go down

Post by testy on Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:53 am

aldo russian wrote:
testy wrote:

And if we had fewer shitstirrers we'd need less toilet paper.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
testy

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella on Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:47 pm

Each ceo we have had a different set of tools that the club needed at that time however it seems that in general within business that ceos have a short life span and then moves on.

In kantas case, he brought years of football club management experience that has set up the club for a strong future.

The intangible that john brought was like doug thomas he loves the club and loves the members -- allways willing to have a chat with members and allways open to answer questions face to face.

As i mentioned earlier i am a bit shattered that john is leaving us but extend my best wishes for his professional career and look forward to seeing him at games in his new role as club legend and longtime supporter

Thanks mate
Oldfella

Number of posts : 242
Job/hobbies : Retired due to being certified mad

Back to top Go down

Post by whispy on Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:01 pm

I just read the advertisement for the position of CEO on the West Adelaide website, does anyone know if it's going to be full time or part time position?
I believe Kanta was part time.
whispy

Back to top Go down

Post by bundy on Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:26 pm

I just hope that NO ONE in the club at present gets the job.I think you would have to be well liked.
bundy

Back to top Go down

Post by RODH2 on Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:37 pm

So you are not running, bundy......?
RODH2

Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2015-03-28

Back to top Go down

Post by bundy on Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:29 am

No sorry just walking.
bundy

Back to top Go down

Post by brodlach on Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:20 pm

Bundy Trump for CEO
brodlach

Number of posts : 232

Back to top Go down

Post by blacky on Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:52 pm

I know who it is but I'm not I'm not allowed to say

blacky

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2011-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by testy on Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:51 pm

Mentioned tonight on 7 news that new CEO will be David Grenvold.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Proud member since 1978
testy

Back to top Go down

Post by brodlach on Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:44 am

David Grenvold officially announced
brodlach

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian on Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:15 am

Looks to be a terrific appointment.
aldo russian

Number of posts : 415

Back to top Go down

Post by brodlach on Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:21 am

Agreed Shocked
brodlach

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine on Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:36 pm

I also think it's a great appointment.

Welcome David, look forward to what you'll bring to the club.

Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by Lachlan on Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:23 pm

David Grenvold certainly has the CV, a very good appt.
Lachlan

Number of posts : 430

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum