Trials

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Trials

Post by blackandred on Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:03 pm

This trial match at Elizabeth oval proved to be an excellent hit-out for our young players. We were competitive and showed some good skills and impressive pace and seemed to enjoy the wide open spaces out there.

We went down in a close game, 12.6 to 11.8 but we had our chances to win in the last Q and were in front for a lot of the match. Coach Mickan should be pleased with what he saw today.

Centrals had 2 key forwards (Butcher and Templeton), they dominated the rucks through Hannath but we went down by only 4 pts, demonstrating how we were able to match them in so many other parts of the game.

It did, however, show up some real weaknesses in our game plan but, after all, this is what trials are all about. Firstly, our 2 young ruckmen, Majok and Beard struggled to get their hand on the ball. Secondly, we have no strong marking forwards Ė as if we didnít already know about that! Middleton and Watchman couldnít get into the game at all and hardly had a touch between them in the first 3 Qs. Middleton ended up in the backlines and Watchman in ruck. Centrals also seemed able to break a lot of our tackles and some improvement is necessary in this area. The exception to this is Majok who executed 3 of the best tackles you would ever see. He is helped here by his uncanny ability to cover ground quickly and so to create a contest for the ball.

Our goalkickers included Haysman, Josh Stevens and Rankine, 2 apiece, Peter, K Stevens, Fielke and Turner. (Missed one) Not too many in that list over 6 ft. But these were the players who kept us in the game, and nearly won it, with their skill and pace. Karpany had a terrific 3Q, Noble was busy and Shannon Green was in everything.

Our backline, led by Logan Hill and young Burgess were reliable and Josh Ryan was good early. We ran the ball well out of Centrals attacking zone.

Haysman possibly our best and will hopefully get back to his 2015 form. Keough played about half a game. Webb was the runner. Still no Schmidt, Porplyzia and Caire. Silverlock didnít play. Some of these guys should have a run around next week otherwise we may have a similar start to 2016 which we donít want.

Rankine had a heavily bandaged right thigh but will hopefully be fit to play in the first round. Young J Stevens and J Noble, hard to pick apart but knocking the door down for first round selection. Noble of course is the son of David Noble and Stevens also has an arresting pedigree.
blackandred

Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2013-09-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Mypaspective on Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:29 pm

Good analysis b&r. Jake Wilson didn't play either so we had 6or 7 regulars still out. Their returns will be staggered due to varying progress.

Kaine Stevens was outstanding with his evasive skills & football brain. Josh Stevens & John Noble ran all day & created many opportunities. We let ourselves down a bit with a few easy misses at goal but very positive trial IMO. Could have gone either way but considering Centrals belted Glenelg at the Ponderosa last week I was fairly happy.

A huge improvement in foot skills & pace is exciting plus the desperation is back.
Mypaspective

Number of posts : 242
Registration date : 2015-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Lachlan on Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:50 pm

It was an encouraging display by our young team today. We were prepared to run and carry the ball which we will need to do this year.
I thought some of our younger players such as Noble, Stevens, Haysman, Rankine and Karpanny showed things.
Stevens was our best players he is a gun. He has been a fantastic recruit.

I agree we lacked a key marking target and it's something we haven't had for many years along with a genuine ruckman.

To win games of footy you need to kick more goals,than the opposition and therefore I would play Keough across half forward with Middleton closer to goal along with Watchman. I don't believe Watchman is a full forward as he doesn't have the body strength and therefore I would play him from the Forwrd pocket. With Keough playing forward I would have Josh Ryan in defence he did ok today although he didn't play the last qrt.

Of our recruits I thought Bately was quiet and when he did find the ball he turned it over. Lachie Peter did a couple of useful things however based on what I have seen so far I'm not sure either of them would be in my starting 21 come the first round.

Shannon Green playing in an unusual through the midfield did a few good things as did Fielke.
Lachlan

Number of posts : 445

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella on Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:47 am

Is it possible for the club to put up a medical status list for players injured or recovering from offseason operations including predicted return.

Give we seem to be missing 6 or 7 quality players on the weekend it is off obvious interest to supporters
Oldfella

Number of posts : 268
Job/hobbies : Retired due to being certified mad

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian on Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:11 pm

On that oldfella, I think the website continues to be a major disappointment. It compares pretty poorly to other clubs' and provides little new information. The player list and fixtures is still for 2016, and we still don't have a history section which we had on the old site several years ago.
aldo russian

Number of posts : 440

Back to top Go down

Post by Mypaspective on Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:10 pm

Aldo the reason the website is poor is for 2 main reasons.

We haven't had a staff member to run it since JAN this year. David G (CEO) is in the process of employing someone PLUS there is a brand new website being launched within a couple of weeks. SANFL have provided assistance so that there will be more consistency with all 8 clubs sites especially in information & access.

Hopefully this may ease your concerns which are justified.
Mypaspective

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella on Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:10 pm

Thanks for that big fella -- i am familiar with problems with official site but is good that you have placed a comment on here so all supporters/members have an understanding of the issue rather than be angered by lack of information.

Being bit pushy why in the interumn cannot a list as requested be placed on this site to ensure members have information why situation is rectified
Oldfella

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian on Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:20 pm

That's good to hear MP.
aldo russian

Back to top Go down

Post by bundy on Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:27 pm

Mypaspective wrote:Aldo the reason the website is poor is for 2 main reasons.

We haven't had a staff member to run it since JAN this year. David G (CEO) is in the process of employing someone PLUS there is a brand new website being launched within a couple of weeks. SANFL have provided assistance so that there will be more consistency with all 8 clubs sites especially in information & access.

Hopefully this may ease your concerns which are justified.
Thank you young man.It's usually good reading.
bundy

Number of posts : 286
Job/hobbies : Lawn Bowls at Freeling
Registration date : 2013-09-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Mypaspective on Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:11 pm

I'll see what can b done but DG has more pressing priorities at the moment & has no one to do the website. Even Bridget is doing 3 jobs at the moment.

May just have to wait a bit b4 those requests can b accommodated.

Hopefully the staffing should b settled by mid/late April.

First priority was to get a new Venue Mgr. That contract has now been signed & he starts early April. Now for the office.
Mypaspective

Back to top Go down

Post by bundy on Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:58 pm

Which is fair enough.Looks like a little housekeeping being done. Very Happy
bundy

Number of posts : 286
Job/hobbies : Lawn Bowls at Freeling
Registration date : 2013-09-24

Back to top Go down

Post by brodlach on Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:25 pm

Sounds like David has a big broom out and doing a clean sweep. Will there be many more swept out?
brodlach

Back to top Go down

Post by Mypaspective on Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:11 pm

No such clean out brodlach. To set the records straight.

The Venue Mgr left because he bought a hotel/motel in Victoria.

Our receptionist Gemma got a job at University (Flinders I think)

Scott (IT & membership) only worked part time & got a full time job at Hahndorf where he lives. He still helps out running our scoreboard on match days.
Mypaspective

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella on Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:22 pm

All good and thanks again big fella -- all good information that reassures members 👍👍👍👍

My question on who is out injured one way or other was when i looked at last trail teams noted that 6 or 7 good (very) players have not played a trial yet so was concerned about availability for round one

Oldfella

Back to top Go down

Post by brodlach on Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:05 am

Mypaspective wrote:No such clean out brodlach. To set the records straight.

The Venue Mgr left because he bought a hotel/motel in Victoria.

Our receptionist Gemma got a job at University (Flinders I think)

Scott (IT & membership) only worked part time & got a full time job at Hahndorf where he lives. He still helps out running our scoreboard on match days.
Thanks for the reply, have heard some very good things about David so far
brodlach

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella on Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:19 am

Brodlack - i support your comments reference david.

I had a chance to chat with him when while looking at hall of fame he walked up and said hello to the three of us there and just started chatting-- is a very down to earth football person who makes a real effort to ralk to members -- when one looks at his resume i am still a bit amazed that we got him as all his previous work was at the top end of ceo footy positions
Oldfella

Back to top Go down

Post by Thiele on Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:31 pm

League
Agostino, Bates, Batley, Beard, Burgess, Caire, Carger, J. Evans, Favretto, Haysman, O. Johnson, Karpany, Majok, Middleton, J. Noble, Peter, Pillion, Porplyzia, Schiller, J. Stevens, Turner, Wasley-Black, Watchman, Wilson.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
2015 PREMIERS. GO BLOODS
Thiele

Number of posts : 375

Back to top Go down

Post by Thiele on Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:31 pm

Reserves
Badger, Bottin, Crump, L. Evans, Halkias, Hay, Heitmann, Holliday, Inglis, I. Johnson, Kewell, Klemke, Lynch, M. Noble, Rankine, L. Ryan, Satanek, Scott, Stidiford, Vassallo, Waite, Webb, West.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
2015 PREMIERS. GO BLOODS
Thiele

Back to top Go down

Post by firstblood on Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:11 pm

Just to let everyone know...the reserves start at 5pm and the League game is at 7.10. @ City Mazda
firstblood

Number of posts : 283
Job/hobbies : The light keeper
Registration date : 2007-11-11

Back to top Go down

Post by blackandred on Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:04 pm

In a low scoring affair at Richmond oval tonight Westies ran out winners over the Bays 8.13 to 6.12. Pretty fair effort from the boys considering there would only have been about half a dozen players who would be first choice players for round one next week.

What has emerged over the last 3 trials is that we have a promising group of young players who have demonstrated good pre season form, some of who could be in our first game for points next week. Karpany, Josh Stevens, John Noble and no 32, a left footer who Iím assuming was Zac Bates (no team sheets left 30 minutes before the game started!) who was very impressive. Canít wait to see the team for next week. Will it be picked on reputation or form?

Middleton kicked 3 goals, EWB and Turner 2 each.

The Bays seemed to have most of the play but we harassed them and forced the turnover through some good chasing, pressure and tackling. A lot of intensity in our game. In the last Q the Bays couldnít kick a goal thanks to the efforts of our defence, Caire, Favretto, Agostino, Burgess and an impressive game from recruit Josh Wilson. We probably overused the ball a little throughout but a really good effort from an inexperienced young group.

Porplyzia and Caire had good runs and Fielke, K Stevens, Silverlock, Keough and Haysman watched from the sidelines and Ryan Willets dropped by.

Our rucks were taken apart again by the experienced McGinty and the fact the Bays had first use of the ball all night made our effort all the better but still the question remains: how much better would we be with a genuine ruckman? The Bays have recruited 202cm Liam McBean so it canít be that hard.

Bit of confusion about the start time with well over half an hour between the 2 games.
blackandred

Number of posts : 119

Back to top Go down

Post by Mypaspective on Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:41 pm

Simple affordability is the reason B&R. Yes 32 was Zac Bates, Greeny didn't play either & it is Jake Wilson who looks like being a great recruit. Brett Turner was also good again. The Bays only had a couple out while we had about 8 missing so a good hit out.

The big improvers this year are Chris Burgess & John Noble. They have been good in every trial. Webby played 3 solid quarters in the twos & got thru well which is encouraging.

Speed & skill improvement plus fierce desire to win each contest continue to impress. The reserves game was of a high standard & we won that by about 4 goals. Murray Waite was good & will be pressing for selection also.
Mypaspective

Back to top Go down

Post by Thiele on Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:56 pm

blackandred wrote:I

Bit of confusion about the start time with well over half an hour between the 2 games.
Only reason that I can think of is the reserves played straight 23 mins instead of the normal straight 26

2015 PREMIERS. GO BLOODS
Thiele

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine on Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:07 am

Interesting point about McBean, b & r. I think McBean and Jake Wilson were the only 2 VFL players recruited this year (?). We certainly spoke to Liam, but he's not a ruckman and there are many other reasons surrounding recruiting.

Always love your match reports, b & r.
Lee Harradine

Number of posts : 697
Registration date : 2014-05-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Beswick on Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:18 am

I can confirm everything Lee said above - Liam was one of many ruckmen we spoke to.
Mark Beswick

Number of posts : 309

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian on Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:18 pm

He's not really a ruckman, he played most of his footy for Richmond's VFL team as a forward.
aldo russian

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum