West vs Centrals

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

West vs Centrals

Post by Thiele on Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:03 pm

WEST
Basketball convert Tyler McPherson will make his Macca’s League debut for West Adelaide against Central on Saturday.
Measuring in at 200cm and 93kg, the 21-year-old has been thrust into the ruck to replace the injured Daniel Webb.
Originally from PHOS Camden, McPherson has been joined by Nick Favretto, John Noble, Ben Klemke and Jack Evans in the 23-man squad.
Former Geelong rookie Zac Bates has also been sidelined by a knee ailment while Izak Rankine accepted a one-match ban at the SANFL Tribunal.
League
F: Fielke, Watchman, Green
HF: Turner, Middleton, Karpany
C: Batley, K. Stevens, J. Stevens
HB: Agostino, Burgess, Hill
B: Caire, Keough, J. Evans

R: McPherson, Schiller, Schmidt
INT: Carger, Klemke, Wasley-Black, J. Noble, Favretto
IN: Favretto, J. Noble, McPherson, Klemke, J. Evans
OUT: Rankine (suspended), Bates (knee), Webb (knee)
Reserves
Waite, Haysman, Head, Smithson, Pillion, Peter, L. Ryan, M. Noble, Dunkin, Iannucci, I. Johnson, Inglis, Gulliford, Majok, Holliday, O. Johnson, Vassallo, Fairlie, Lynch, Crump, L. Evans.
Under-18
Fazzalari, Featherby, Nunan, Jones, Gutsche, Caruso, Alaeddin, Boots, Baker, Crump, Walton, Neumann, Smith, Milsom, Wright, McFarlane, Laube, Rugari, Gulliford, Challis, Rana, Singh, Wulff, McCulloch, Satanek, Dunkin, Hannagan

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
2015 PREMIERS. GO BLOODS
Thiele

Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2013-09-25

Back to top Go down

Re: West vs Centrals

Post by Thiele on Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:03 pm

18s play after the league

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
2015 PREMIERS. GO BLOODS
Thiele

Number of posts : 334

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:44 am

President's report on the website

PRESIDENT’S REPORT

We all shared the agony of falling just short of a win at Glenelg. A shot touched on the line, or a missed kick under pressure, is often the difference between victory and defeat, and right now we’re on the wrong side of results. What we did see, though, was a whole team giving everything for the jumper, fighting back and then devastated at the final siren.

Football is our core reason for existence, of course, and a number of things have become apparent since our premiership victory. With such a huge loss of players after that success, our list needs a major refresh. That is a top priority and we have reorganised our recruiting and football operations to make sure we put a strong, talented team on the park. Our members and supporters demand that and we have to make sure it happens.

Congratulations to Aaron Fielke on his 150th game in the red and black. Of our current list, Aaron has played more games than anyone else if junior games are also included, denoting a commitment to West Adelaide that he can be proud of.

Off field, we continue to gradually improve our financial position. Halfway through the financial year, we are still on budget, although we face challenges over the rest of the football season to see good attendances and people at the club. If you’re a member or supporter and haven’t been to the club for a meal or a drink, you would make a big difference if you dropped in and joined your fellow bloods’ supporters.

We are also working on establishing a fund to protect our club well into the future and this has got off to a great start behind the scenes. Our support base isn’t the largest in the league, but there is no more loyal and passionate group in the SANFL and their passion will ensure our financial strength in the years to come.

Our CEO, David Grenvold, is continuing to streamline our procedures and operations and his expertise and enthusiasm is leading to a number of initiatives over the near future. We will also be welcoming a new staff member next month to upgrade our website and social media platforms, among other tasks.

What we can say to our members and supporters is this: be confident about the club’s stability. Be confident about our future. Be confident that we’re doing everything possible to build a playing list that you want to watch win games.

Most of all, though, be confident in your club. We’ve been through hard times and nothing is guaranteed in footy without hard work, but the work is being done and we’re excited about our future.

Admin

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2015-06-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:46 am

Coaches' Reports from the website

Senior Coaches Report – 1st June 2017

Season 2017 has not commenced as any West Adelaide supporter, member, sponsor, player or coach would have liked. We have been close to victory on several occasions and we have been in winning positions for significant portions of games on other occasions. Often small but costly lapses have been damaging on the scoreboard. It is of little consolation that at the same time last year our average losing margin per game was 56 points. At present it is 25 points. We gain little satisfaction from this statistic but it tells us that we are heading in the right direction.

The South Adelaide game in round 1 and the Glenelg game in round 7 were devastating for all going down by under a goal on both occasions. The senior players have been incredibly resilient throughout this very difficult time. They understand that their effort has never been questioned. As a measure of effort we count our one percenters which account for the desperate acts such as smothers, tackles, chases, spoils and shepherds and the players have achieved above our benchmark 100 every week, which is very much to their credit.

Skill execution under pressure, ball movement and defensive action have been areas of focus at training. We have scored at a poor 51% accuracy in front of goal. Needless to say goal kicking has been allocated a great deal of training time.

We have had some injuries which have hurt us at times. I believe that under the guidance of our fitness and medical staff that our treatment, rehabilitation and fitness programs are of the highest standard.

The form of our development team has been very strong with Coach Gavin Colville doing an outstanding job. He has maintained very high standards of team spirit, discipline and structure and he has quickly become a treasured West Adelaide commodity as he does an equally great job in mentoring our Senior Player Leadership Group.

Gavin has played a significant role in the emergence of some exciting young players who have developed significantly over the last 18 months – Jack and Lachie Evans, Jonty Inglis, Kenny Karpany, Chol Majok, Tyler McPherson, Tom Pillion, the Ryan brothers, Josh Stevens, Murray Waite – just to name a few.

As Senior Coach, I take responsibility for our poor start to the season at senior level. I can assure everyone that the players, staff and coaches are sticking together in a combined effort to change our fortunes sooner than later.

On a personal note thank you to all of you who have expressed their support regarding my minor health issue. I also thank the board and management of WAFC for their support. There are many, many people far worse off than me when it comes to health concerns. I can assure all concerned that my condition is in no way connected to our poor start to 2017.

Development team v Glenelg

Unfortunately, few highlights were to come from the weekend’s 46 point loss to Glenelg. Having been undefeated for the first five games and coming off a week’s break, expectations were high. However after a competitive first quarter, our effort and team structures fell well below required standards. From quarter time, the opposition took full advantage and outnumbered, out hassled and displayed superior decision making and skills. Interestingly, after quarter time, our deficiencies varied by quarter.

In the second quarter, I felt our inability to exit the backline with any fluency cost us dearly. In the third term, our team structures were lost, resulting in the opposition transitioning the ball far too easily, and the final term was riddled with poor skill errors and decision making. All three areas represent areas of strength in previous weeks, highlighting their importance to our overall performance. Post-match, we asked the players to focus on their response over the coming week. I look forward to seeing players approach training with a disciplined mindset and next Saturday’s game with a steely resolve. Our better players on the day included Hugh Haysman through the midfield, Tom Lynch in the backline and Tyler McPherson in the ruck.

Development Coach – Gavin Colville

Admin

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2015-06-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolf Pack on Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:34 pm

For the record we are 2 wins and 24 losses since the flag. Last win: round 13 2016!!!!
I would like someone to explain to me how a side can't kick one solitary goal in a half of footy after kicking 8 in the first half...
Fair dinkum, we should be playing in the SAAFL.
We might win a game there....

Wolf Pack

Number of posts : 249
Registration date : 2013-09-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Lachlan on Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:29 pm

To kick 5 points after 1/2 time is totally unacceptable from an SANFL side. Our Playing list is totally inept.

If we don't Recruit 6 or 7 League players next year we will continue to be the laughing stock of the SANFL.

To have only won 2 of our past 24 matches after winning the premiership in 2015 is beyond belief.
Lachlan

Number of posts : 416

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella on Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:54 pm

I see that first gamer Tyler McPherson got 10 possessions and 20 hitouts out of a total of 34 hitouts for the team.

How do you rate him
Oldfella

Number of posts : 223
Job/hobbies : Retired due to being certified mad

Back to top Go down

Post by Second Team on Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:20 am

Oldfella wrote:I see that first gamer Tyler McPherson got 10 possessions and 20 hitouts out of a total of 34 hitouts for the team.

How do you rate him

Tyler is Westies ruck for the next 10 years. Keep playing him. Shocked Shocked Shocked

Kick it forward. It's the new game plan.
Second Team

Number of posts : 404

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella on Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:59 am

Thanks for your response but i am never sure when you are serious or being a bit tongue in cheek -- i am taking you seriously this time☺

The best ruckman in the club imo is webby by a mile however he is  also a very good mobile large forward -- i feel that webby has been very manfull in trying to play both roles in the same game but i do feel this limits him and does lead him to serious wear and tear issues to his body especially as putting himself  at risk to get the ball is one of his traits.

I hope young tyler does the job which would allow daniel to p,ay permanently  forward with hopefully less risk of injury -- time will tell
Oldfella

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella on Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:16 am

Another player i hat i rate highly is tom keough who prior to going to the afl was developing nicely as one of the rarest type of league players that is a genuine centre half forward.

I acknowledge that he has played extremely in the backlines but to waste a genuine centre half forward (nearly impossible to recruit) almost seems criminal.

Just my thoughts and others with greater knowledge feel free to shoot me down in flames☺
Oldfella

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian on Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:38 pm

I have to say that I am staggered to see the coach say he thinks we're moving in the right direction. How anyone could think that 15 losses in a row, the latest without scoring a goal in the 2nd half against the 9th placed team to all but secure our second consecutive wooden spoon, added to the poorest skill level in the competition add up to "moving in the right direction" is bewildering.
aldo russian

Number of posts : 398

Back to top Go down

Post by blackandred on Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:28 pm

Like last week we put ourselves into a winning position and couldn't finish it off. Like last week we lost the game in a single Q. Make no mistake we had our chances to win this game but wasted the ball far too often. It will always be hard to win when you gift the ball to the opposition and kick poorly for goal.
This was clearly a game between the two bottom teams and the quality of footy was pretty bad.
Mcpherson looked good in ruck. Keough was our best for mine. Wasley black played his best game for a while. K Stevens tried hard. Are there still some fitness doubts around a few of our players, Green and Schmidt?
Centrals seemed to have a height advantage around the ground and Klempke could have been handy. We miss Wilson as we lack flexibility with key position players. When will he be back?
blackandred

Number of posts : 105

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella on Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:56 pm

http://sanfl.com.au/injuries/

PLAYER NAMENATURE OF INJURYTIME EXPECTED TO RETURN
HALKIAS, TeejayHamstring3-4 weeks
BATES, ZacKneeTest
SCHMIDT, ChrisKneeTest
RYAN, JoshKneeTest
PORPLYZIA, JasonKneeSeason
WILSON, JakeKnee4-6 weeks
SCOTT, AlexHamstring1-2 weeks
JOHNSON, OliverEye1-2 weeks
SILVERLOCK, TaiteHamstring2-3 weeks
Oldfella

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolf Pack on Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:20 pm

aldo russian wrote:I have to say that I am staggered to see the coach say he thinks we're moving in the right direction. How anyone could think that 15 losses in a row, the latest without scoring a goal in the 2nd half against the 9th placed team to all but secure our second consecutive wooden spoon, added to the poorest skill level in the competition add up to "moving in the right direction" is bewildering.

The coach has to remain positive and be positive in the message.
However, a board and coaching group are judged on wins and losses.....
Fair to say they are up against it.....
Wolf Pack

Number of posts : 249
Registration date : 2013-09-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella on Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:05 pm

I agree that all coaches in the club are judged on the performance of thier respective teams or the relevant team function they are responsible for (eg fitness, defence, forward, midfield and other duties). This includes medical key staff.

The board is judged on the club as a whole and on how they deal with poor performance within sub aspects of the club. The board needs to develop a strong plan of actions to deal with the senior teams performance and  clearly inform members of those measures and performance goals so they can be fairly judge.
Oldfella

Back to top Go down

Post by billrobs1 on Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:02 pm

Oldfella wrote:I agree that all coaches in the club are judged on the performance of thier respective teams or the relevant team function they are responsible for (eg fitness, defence, forward, midfield and other duties). This includes medical key staff.

The board is judged on the club as a whole and on how they deal with poor performance within sub aspects of the club. The board needs to develop a strong plan of actions to deal with the senior teams performance and  clearly inform members of those measures and performance goals so they can be fairly judge.

I have come to realise that there is not a long line of people putting their hands up to take over and stear this ship 0ldFella. The course has been set with the best of intentions but the future is looking pretty ugly...
billrobs1

Number of posts : 138
Registration date : 2014-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by nigelfab on Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:32 am

Just wonder what people think. I feel that the 2 AFL reserve teams in the SANFL have really hurt West Adelaide. The old AFL mini-draft used to supply Westies with a lot of players, a lot of which stayed on after their AFL dream was over. eg Willets, Ezard. That link is broken and we are also losing players to the AFL reserves. It's a double blow in a way. I think this is pretty significant for a club that often struggles to attract players. I guess in a way the mini-draft helped make the SANFL more equitable. We are now totally reliant on our zones and club finances and it would appear that both are not producing the required level of talent to sustain the league team.
nigelfab

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2015-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine on Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:08 am

A very good point, nigelfab.

It's interesting to note that 19 of the 23 who played finals in 2015 had played junior football at West.

Our zone since then has been poor, but new zones come out this month and we've put up a strong submission.

Supporters can also be assured that finances have improved to the stage that they won't be an issue and recruiting is obviously a top priority.

This season we were constrained by finance and salary cap restrictions, but recruited 4 good league players - Jake Wilson, Nathan Batley, Zac Bates and Tom Keough. We don't anticipate being restricted for 2018.
Lee Harradine

Number of posts : 639
Registration date : 2014-05-24

Back to top Go down

Post by nigelfab on Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:46 am

>>It's interesting to note that 19 of the 23 who played finals in 2015 had played junior football at West.

A great statistic. I was not having a go at the running of the club...just the impact of the AFL reserve teams which I still think has been significant.
nigelfab

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2015-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine on Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:35 pm

No problem. I didn't take it that way, NF. I thought you made a good point that a lot of us had forgotten, so just thought an update would be helpful.
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by brodlach on Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:18 pm

That is interesting re the number of local players, I didn't think it was that high. Any idea how many from our country zones?

We don't seem to attract the delisted players from the local AFL clubs such as Butcher, Stewart or even Lowden like some other local clubs do.
brodlach

Number of posts : 222

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine on Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:52 pm

Correction - 19 of 25, I think.
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella on Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:23 am

brodlach wrote:We don't seem to attract the delisted players from the local AFL clubs such as Butcher, Stewart or even Lowden like some other local clubs do.

Imo, As allway you raise interesting questions that makes one think about the issue raised --- in this case it has nagged me all night and i finally have some thoughts that others may disagree with but are logical to me.

Westies target in terms of afl delistees has been to get our kids back (those not at the end of thier career) all who are quality players--- the only one i can readily think of that we missed was young slattery who i believe we matched the contract dollars but could not match the offer of an afl level coaching role? --- given other clubs have also approached these homegrown players we have had to match those offer to retain -- which does use up significant portions of the salary cap.

Also to be noted that this season even though not an afl delistie we did recruit a victorian state team backman that was in high demand by other sanfl clubs -- played well before his unfortunate knee injury and was a recruiting coup.

In terms of other afl delisties not originaly not from west adelaide and who were being sought by other sanfl clubs i acknowledge that we have had very little success --- in several of these cases through various contacts i have external to west adelaide it would seem that we have made very competative contract offers comparitable with other sanfl offers --- it some cases players want to go to top sides for premiership windows (nathan Eagleton), others know players/coaches in other clubs which given similar finacial offers sway the decision but sadly it does seem that in some cases whilst we make an equitable contract offer we cannot match the non contract finacial gains that cannot be proven by the league such to represent a breech of the salary cap --- one easy example is where a player is hired by a company but does no work other than promotional duties and when the sanfl questions the company they are not given answers based on business confidentiality? -- another way is where a player has his own company (plumber, electrician or chippy) then his company is given a solid 12 month retainer by another company to provide services as required and also gets payment for any services or work undertaken..

More to follow
Oldfella

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella on Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:51 am

Further to above,  the infamous action of one club to give a player two contracts one secret not shown to the sanfl  and one given to the safl salary cap review area which was detected by pure chance (disgruntled ex player) was despicable but fairly is almost impossible for the sanfl  salary cap person to detect without disclosure by one of the participants -- could still be happenning at other clubs who knows??

Employment or business opertunities for potential players partners or family is also an oprtunity for finacial encouragement where jnformation is not easily legaly obtained 

There are multiple other oportunities external to base contact offers that are fairly to be considered very very difficult for the relevant sanfl investigating officer to detect or more importantly detect to a level that would stand up in a court of law ---- critical point --- suspicion or word of mouth is one thing but is worthless in a court of law.

The present faith of league directors in a salary cap is missplaced because history shows where money  and rules are joined someone will allways find a way around those rule -- look at tax evasion if you do not believe me.

Final point,
I believe what i have raised does explain our some but not all our issues with not recruiting delisted afl players who are not former west adelade player and i feel that whilst we have a great group of supporters who put thier hard earned money where thier mouth is (read the westonians) we do lack in the area  of finacial inducements external to the club andmnot directly related to the club finacial offer that imo several other clubs have!

II believe all clubs in someways  look for oportunities to bypass the salry cap but in the main this is fiddling with minor amounts around the edges.

The real question for me is do i want my club to become involved in blatantly ilegal actions external to the clubs finacial contract offer  like false employment or second contract or other means -- The answer for me is no.

Again thank you for a great question as it helped me to find something to ponder during another long sleepless night -- great question.

I may not be right but am real interested in others thoughts --- sorry for long post.
Oldfella

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine on Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:53 am

Very good ;points, oldfella.

Often the biggest stumbling block for recruiting players is employment. Interstate recruits have to uproot their lives to shift to SA and they're generally not going to come for just football payments. Much of the time recruiting is taken up by the need to find jobs (often in specialist areas) and that's often just not possible.

If any poster or reader knows of employment opportunities, it would be a huge help to the club if they let the club know (83524022 - Andrew Marks).

Often the need for employment extends to a player's partner as well.

That's why clubs prefer to recruit local or returning players.

Rest assured, though, recruiting is our No 1 playing priority right now.
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum