David shipway

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

View previous topic View next topic Go down

David shipway

Post by Oldfella on Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:36 am

Weldone shippy,

David Shipway, AM

DAVID Shipway repeatedly says: “Footy people are the best people you meet in life.”

The long-serving football administrator is dedicating his AM — for significant service to Australian football in SA and as a supporter of youth, charitable and medical research organisation — to those “footy people”.

“It is a recognition of them — and what they do with our great game in the community — more so than me,” Shipway said. “They keep the game alive and their communities as well.”

His journey in Australian football — from a boy selling raffle tickets at the West Adelaide Football Club to the highest table of power with the SA Football Commission — is one he repeatedly seeks to have followed by others.

David Shipway has been awarded an AM in the Queen’s Birthday Honours. Picture: Tait Schmaal
“The little kid in the little country town should have his or her dream too,” Shipway said. “The AFL is the pinnacle. But it never ceases to amaze me how important the game is to so many people and so many communities. We should never forget that.

“Our game is a great leveller where people from all walks of life and backgrounds can feel part of it, on or off the field.”

Shipway was introduced to Australian football as an 11-year-old by West Adelaide president Cliff Todd at the netball courts where his two sisters and Todd’s four daughters played in the early 1960s.

“I became the pesky kid who picked up the socks in the Westies changerooms around the stars such as Neil Kerley, Ken Eustice, Bertie Johnson, Jeff Bray, all the heroes of West Adelaide,” Shipway said.

From catching three buses to watch the Bloods games as a teen, Shipway’s resume in Australian football includes joining West Adelaide’s management committee in 1985, serving as club chairman in 1988—89 and president from 1990—94.

He took on responsibility with the SANFL by joining the league’s future directions committee in 1992 and the SA Football Commission in 1997.

He is one of SA football’s longest-serving administrators and most generous volunteers.

Shipway remains on the commission where he sought the portfolio of representing community football, particularly in the country zones where his family business BL Shipway has many connections.

“I represent a group of people who are the heart of our game,” Shipway said. “And I have been able to do that with a very patient and understanding wife, Jan, and family.

“This honour should recognise them more than me. It is their passion for the game — and their communities — that has meant the most to me.”
Oldfella

Number of posts : 242
Job/hobbies : Retired due to being certified mad
Registration date : 2013-09-25

Back to top Go down

Congratulations

Post by Mypaspective on Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:19 pm

With all the doom & gloom surrounding our on field situation wasn't it great to see one of our great supporters & former President David Shipway receive a well deserved Australian honour (AM) in today's Queens Birthday honours. See today's Advertiser.

SHIPPY has continued to be a fantastic contributor to our club in both good & bad times. He has never forgotten his origins at the Bloods.  

In addition he has been a tireless worker in the country footy communities he has been a philanthropist to many charities including Bedford Industries, Can do for Kids, various schools & organisations.

Every time there has been a tragedy in the bush like the Gladstone explosion or a Kingston footballer breaking his neck he was first to convince & take some prominent football celebrities to the country & raise money for the victims families.

Really well done Shippy you're a champion. Well deserved.
Mypaspective

Number of posts : 228
Registration date : 2015-03-12

Back to top Go down

Re: David shipway

Post by Thiele on Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:49 pm

Well done Shippy you are a legend

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
2015 PREMIERS. GO BLOODS
Thiele

Number of posts : 355
Registration date : 2013-09-25

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum