Post by blacky on Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:42 pm

My understanding is that he was going give it away

blacky

Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2011-09-17

Back to top Go down

Re: Mark Mickan announcement

Post by Lee Harradine on Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:56 pm

Mark wanted to continue. The Board decided not to renew Mark's contract.

We have just finished a wonderful presentation evening, where we expressed our thanks to a West Adelaide legend.

Lee Harradine

Number of posts : 690
Registration date : 2014-05-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolf Pack on Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:28 pm

Congratulations to Schmidty and Daniel Caire.
They have been fantastic players of our club and it was great that they were able to finish with a win.
Mark Mickan is a Champion of the club and delivered a flag, something many before him were unable to do.

However, the time is right for a fresh start and well done to the board on making a tough decision.
We certainly need to find a few recruits for 2018.

Wolf Pack

Number of posts : 263
Registration date : 2013-09-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Lachlan on Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:11 pm

Mark Mickan will always remain a legend of the West Adelaide Football Club.
His game plan delivered the Club a well overdue Premiership.

Lachlan

Number of posts : 442
Registration date : 2013-09-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine on Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:40 am

For those who weren't able to attend presentations last night, there was a crowd of players, families, members and supporters of about 200 or more in our Function Room.

Andrew Marks interviewed Dustin Head and then Chris Schmidt and Daniel Caire (with video highlights), to the acclamation of everyone there, including Ryan Ferguson, who had driven over from Melbourne and players close to the boys.

Our CEO, David Grenvold expressed his gratitude to all three and had many kind words to say about Mark, also thanking members, sponsors and supporters.

As President, I thanked Mark and his response was magnificent, in front of several family members and 200 friends, culminating in him reminding everyone that it was only 8 years to the 2015 10th year anniversary †Very Happy

Just so posters and readers get the gist of what I was privileged to say on behalf of all of us, below is most of it.

MARK MICKAN CAME TO WEST ADELAIDE FROM THE COUNTRY AND AT FIRST COULDNíT CRACK A GAME WITH OUR JUNIOR TEAM. HE SOON DID AND FOR GOOD MEASURE, WON A BEST AND FAIREST AT THAT LEVEL.

HE PERSEVERED AND FORGED A PLAYING CAREER FOR THE WEST ADELAIDE FOOTBALL CLUB (ONLY 4 BEST AND FAIRESTS!), AND ALSO AT THE HIGHEST LEVEL, THAT HAS BEEN RARELY EQUALLED.

IT IS FITTING THAT WHEN WE ALL LOOK AT OUR 2015 PREMIERSHIP TEAM, IT WILL FOREVER READ:

SENIOR COACH Ė MARK MICKAN

THAT WILL BE A BOND BETWEEN MARK AND HIS TEAM THAT WILL LAST ALL THEIR LIVES.

A PREMIERSHIP IS A HARD ACT TO FOLLOW AND THE REALITIES OF FOOTBALL LIFE HAVE DICTATED THAT MARKíS SENIOR COACHING TERM WONíT CONTINUE NEXT SEASON.

BUT WHAT WILL CONTINUE IS A LASTING AND WONDERFUL RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN MARK AND THE WEST ADELAIDE FOOTBALL CLUB AND ITíS OUR CLUB THAT IS, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, THE BETTER FOR IT.

MARK, FOOTBALL AND COACHING ABILITY IS ONE THING, BUT JUST AS IMPORTANT IS CHARACTER. †ITíS TYPICAL THAT YOU ASKED ME NOT TO MAKE A FUSS, BUT THANK YOU FOR YOUR DRY HUMOUR, YOUR FRIENDSHIP TO ALL AT WESTIES, YOUR RESPECT FOR THE CLUB AND MOST OF ALL, THE ONE WORD THAT DEFINES YOU:

INTEGRITY.

MARK, ON BEHALF OF THE WEST ADELAIDE FOOTBALL CLUB, WE THANK YOU SINCERELY FOR YOUR HUGE CONTRIBUTION TO YOUR WEST ADELAIDE FOOTBALL CLUB AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO OUR CONTINUING ASSOCIATION, IN WHATEVER FORM THAT TAKES.

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, I ASK YOU TO STAND AND ACKNOWLEDGE A WEST ADELAIDE GREAT, MR MARK MICKAN.
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolfman Jack on Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:07 pm

Very well said Lee & what a special evening.
So glad to see Mark given such a fine send off that he richly deserved.
Wolfman Jack

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2013-10-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Mypaspective on Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:57 pm

For those who haven't yet read the latest E-newsletter which features the Coaches report I suggest you do so. It is also on the club website.

It is a "Mark of the man" when our retiring coach reports on every thing & everyone but himself. He is such a selfless individual who continues to astound me by his humility & genuine nature.

Mark's gracious manner in the way he has accepted his non reappointment, although terribly disappointed, just increases my personal admiration of him as a top quality person.

Mark has agreed to stick around to assist in whatever way he can as we go through the season review & recruitment of our next coach. A true West Adelaide man to the core.

Thanks Mark for who you are. An absolute champion & legend of our great club.
Mypaspective

Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2015-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by TeeJay on Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:25 pm

Hi Guys. Long time Bloods fan and also long time reader of this forum. I have decided to post as I'm wondering if there is any chance that we would go after Micky G to replace Rubbers? After yesterday's result it's looking like the Eagles are going to finish minor premier for the 3rd year in a row and unless there is a big turn around are going to fall short again. Surely it maybe a time for a change at his end.

He is a quality coach and a Westies man to boot and in my opinion would be a great fit for our club and I also believe that supporters would fully back him in.

I may be dreaming but to me this is a perfect fit for both. A very successful coach looking for a change? His former club looking for a coach.

Would like to know thoughts?
TeeJay

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2017-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Mypaspective on Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:47 pm

Agree Mick G appears to be a very good coach but he recently signed on to extend his contract with the Eagles (not sure if it is 1 or 2 more yrs) so he is not available at this point in time.
Mypaspective

Back to top Go down

Post by TeeJay on Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:16 pm

Thanks for that mate. Just think he would be a great fit for us. Be interested to see who is available
TeeJay

Back to top Go down

Post by Mypaspective on Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:52 pm

Your right Mick would be a great fit. He is a really great guy & has a way about him in bringing people together. I think it is his country upbringing. He is a high quality bloke.

A sub-committee has been formed which includes Club president, Vice president & CEO plus a recently retired senior player & an independent well qualified footy person for a set of different eyes. They will shortlist the best applicants & interview them prior to presenting the preferred 2or3 to the Board for consideration. †

The advertisement has been on our website for members to see. It was also placed on the SANFL & AFL websites. Applications close in a week or so.

We are hopeful of good quality applicants †to choose from.
Mypaspective

Back to top Go down

Post by whispy on Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:33 pm

Sorry but i will have to disagree, although Godden is an ex Westies boy and a nice fellow to boot, but his Grand finals winning ratio is not great, he's always had a quality list given to him, the envy of most SANFL sides.
I'm not sure how he would go with a lesser quality listed team. I think he would struggle.
Just my opinion.
whispy

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2014-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Mypaspective on Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:31 am

Whispy he came up against 2 gun teams (the mighty Bloods & the Blues) playing at their best at the right time of the year. I think he will struggle again this year too.

Anyway although I respect your opinion he's not available so let's move on.
Mypaspective

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine on Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:46 am

Welcome to †the forum, teejay.

Great post and you've got some good discussion going.
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by TeeJay on Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:51 pm

Thanks Lee.. Read the forum a lot as I can't attend West games due to my own sport. Just wanted to put my 2 bobs worth in on the coach. Obviously wasn't aware of his contract situation although these days they don't always mean a lot anyway.

I look forward to seeing who is appointed. The re-signings are looking promising which is a good sign the club is heading in the right direction

TeeJay

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella on Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:33 pm

Also welcome teejay

Time for a bit of fun discussion on what each of us thinks the new coaches qualities should be

For me we need a coach with a proven ability to manage and motivate a team of young players and the ability to encourage fast tracking of quality juniors --- in looking at any coach who applies need to look at the composition of teams that the individual has coached successfully (eg old experienced players or young team)

I am extremely cautious of any coach who has had no experience in league or reserves eg no just retired first coaching role type of application

What do others think
Oldfella

Number of posts : 266
Job/hobbies : Retired due to being certified mad
Registration date : 2013-09-25

Back to top Go down

Post by TeeJay on Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:06 pm

Applications are now closed. Any idea on quality of applicants? Is Colville a front runner on what he has done with the reserve grade? I would of thought the club would have an idea on who or what kind of coach they want.
TeeJay

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum