West vs North at Prospect

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Re: West vs North at Prospect

Post by Mypaspective on Sun 08 Apr 2018, 7:46 pm

I have to correct u Lachlan Glenelg are NOT on a reduced Salary Cap like us. We are on $40K less.

U have to understand that once we got Beechy we had to close the recruiting book. That is our lot at the moment so we have to do the best we can. Stop bagging recruiting. You guys have got no idea how hard it is without money to at least match the opposition.

4 of our best out today but that doesn’t by any means excuse that atrocious display.
Mypaspective

Number of posts : 296
Registration date : 2015-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian on Sun 08 Apr 2018, 7:48 pm

One of the more worrying things from today was that the players didn't look like they knew what they were supposed to be doing, even if they could do it. We so rarely had a player free in space and yet North so frequently did. Time and time again they split us open as if we had no structure.

I wonder if our lamentable disposal skills are eroding the confidence the players need to have in each other. We simply cannot continue to carry so many players who can't kick.

I reckon the last time I saw us play that badly was also at Prospect when Wayne Weidemann was coaching us.
aldo russian

Number of posts : 583
Registration date : 2013-09-25

Back to top Go down

Post by bundy on Sun 08 Apr 2018, 7:50 pm

Wolf Pack wrote:
RODH2 wrote:Sad that some people rejoice in the negative, and things are bad enough. Shame they don't get off their arses instead of mouthing off all the time.

I think the players have to get of their arses.....
17 of them had 15 touches or less today.

We are at rock bottom as a football club.
Not sure where we go from here.... :

Recruiting has been a disaster. At this level of football, you have to have recruits that can play league footy straight away or there is no point getting them.

Glenelg, North, Norwood and The Eagles did..

Why do we move the ball from side to side and close to the boundary line???
With the out of bounds rule, it is ridiculous. We never use the corridor.
To many players run only one way. Football today is all about team defence.
Too many players don't run hard enough.

Centrals next week at Elizabeth..... pale

Blood will always stick with blood rodh2 will not win this one eh keyboard warrior.Hope to catch up soon maybe next game at Richmond.

bundy

Number of posts : 315
Job/hobbies : Lawn Bowls at Wasleys
Registration date : 2013-09-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Lachlan on Sun 08 Apr 2018, 8:07 pm

My Paspective,

I'm very surprised Glenelg are not on a reduced salary cap given their financial performance.
I think their financial position is worse than ours and the city of Holdfast Council has help them big time in regards to their interest bill.

Somehow it doesn't seem to be a level playing field between us and Glenelg.

As for bagging recruiting, I'm sorry I'm not I'm just stating how I see it.

Lachlan

Number of posts : 506

Back to top Go down

Post by RODH2 on Sun 08 Apr 2018, 8:11 pm

bundy wrote:
RODH2 wrote:Sad that some people rejoice in the negative, and things are bad enough. Shame they don't get off their arses instead of mouthing off all the time.
I know who you are can't wait to meet face to face brave man
Pathetic, Bundy....you have done nothing but slag off hard working people in this Club, who work hard for little reward, voluntarily. I was at the game today, and I saw 18 PLAYERS with varying degrees of commitment. Take a hike.
RODH2

Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2015-03-28

Back to top Go down

Post by bundy on Sun 08 Apr 2018, 8:14 pm

Pathetic lol xxxxx
bundy

Number of posts : 315
Job/hobbies : Lawn Bowls at Wasleys
Registration date : 2013-09-24

Back to top Go down

Post by MR BLOODHOUND on Sun 08 Apr 2018, 10:12 pm

I have followed Westies for over 60 years so I think I have a right to say that was a pathetic effort put up today. Bringing up "nothing but slag off hard working people at the club" is getting boring . Something needs to happen otherwise we will lose more supporters. Another effort like today and I might have to watch my son playing C Grade amateur football.
MR BLOODHOUND

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2015-05-20

Back to top Go down

Post by brodlach on Mon 09 Apr 2018, 7:11 am

Don’t anyone bag Colville! All anger should be at the 21 players
brodlach

Number of posts : 291

Back to top Go down

Post by blacky on Mon 09 Apr 2018, 7:49 am

brodlach wrote:Don’t anyone bag Colville! All anger should be at the 21 players
Spot on

blacky

Number of posts : 114
Registration date : 2011-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by whispy on Mon 09 Apr 2018, 8:59 am

I can tell you what went wrong...Speaking to a couple of North officials yesterday, North were really pumped to win for their trainer who passed away, he meant a lot to the club and was close to the players. With due respect to Mark Beswick who most of us knew and thought highly of, most West players weren't close and some didn't know him at all.
Once the game started, we were never going to win after the 15 minute mark of the first quarter and the game was over at 1/4 time for us. Still no excuse for such an inept performance, i think we have a good coach but needs more support from those at the top to recruit some decent players.
whispy

Number of posts : 82
Registration date : 2014-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by RODH2 on Mon 09 Apr 2018, 9:31 am

Fair comment, brodlach, blacky and whispy. Nothing wrong with constructive criticism at all! Begs the question whispy, why can't players play like that (North) all the time!!??
RODH2

Back to top Go down

Post by whispy on Mon 09 Apr 2018, 9:51 am

RODH2 wrote:Fair comment, brodlach, blacky and whispy. Nothing wrong with constructive criticism at all! Begs the question whispy, why can't players play like that (North) all the time!!??  
That's a million dollar question, I honestly think the North players just showed more passion for the passing of that trainer. If they could do that week in week out, they would be unbeatable. But i guess it wears off after a while and they slowly slip back into bad habits.
whispy

Number of posts : 82
Registration date : 2014-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella on Mon 09 Apr 2018, 10:18 am

brodlach wrote:Don’t anyone bag Colville! All anger should be at the 21 players

Whilst this result is disappointing i have absolute total confidence in our coach ---- whilst he takes full responsibility which i respect the ones who must take full responsibility are the players and the players and the players alone.

This game has gone but we must move on and tonights training is the first session towards the next game and all players must commit 100%
Oldfella

Number of posts : 398
Job/hobbies : Retired due to being certified mad

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella on Mon 09 Apr 2018, 10:32 am

whispy wrote:I can tell you what went wrong...Speaking to a couple of North officials yesterday, North were really pumped to win for  their trainer who passed away, he meant a lot to the club and was close to the players. With due respect to Mark Beswick who most of us knew and thought highly of, most West players weren't close and some didn't know him at all.
Once the game started, we were never going to win after the 15 minute mark of the first quarter and the game was over at 1/4 time for us. Still no excuse for such an inept gperformance, i think we have a good coach but needs more support from those at the top to recruit some decent players.

Spot on comment whispy imo --- in my 30 years as part of the volunteer game staff i have seen many games where emotion drives a team to over perform --- also in these games once a team has been totally dominated the losing players lose confidence in thier skills, thier team mates and the game plan and revert to just trying to stop thier imediate oponent which actually makes the sitution worse.

Taking into account we were missing 4 quality top level players (stevo unlucky, Porsche still recovering from injury and the other 2 undislipined acts) and (in my mind) if after being knocked out the previous week it was a good selection issue to play webby then it can be seen that the strong base to withstand such an onslaught was probably lacking --- our league squad has many players with good league potential but at this time it is only potential and they must grab the chance or it will bypass tgem.

Finally, these has been concerns raised in reference to recruiting however if one looks back over the last 5 years we have recruited several good players but like it or not due to finacial consideration brought on by the sanfl stupid salary cap decision we just cannot get enough.

Others may disagree and that is your right but i believe what i believe and stick by my club
Oldfella

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian on Mon 09 Apr 2018, 10:35 am

The coach's report is up on the website, and it's a good response.
aldo russian

Number of posts : 583

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella on Mon 09 Apr 2018, 10:42 am

Agreed aldo a very appropriate response imo

http://westadelaidefc.com.au/2018/04/09/coaches-report-round-2/

Given our performance yesterday, it is essential I write to our members and supporters immediately. Following the game, the players and coaches went directly to WAFC to watch a replay. We spent 2.5 hours and only made it through the first half. There were many honest and constructive conversations. In short, our performance was embarrassing and insipid. You deserve more. It was evident that we did not come mentally prepared for the match. From the first bounce we were second to the ball, undisciplined and refused to work hard to stop the opposition’s ball movement or to create opportunities for ourselves. Currently our skills are a long way below league standard. This remains a significant source of frustration as our training standards have continued to improve over the last two months. In particular, we rated our training last week as the best of the season/preseason. Perhaps therein lies one of our problems, we are content far too easily. We will continue to push our training standards and hold players to account for this on match day as well. Our structures again, were poorly executed. Players appear either unsure or unwilling to adhere to team plans and I will take responsibility for this. I need to and will find a way to ensure our game plan is executed better. Our defensive pressure was occasional at best. With just 81 one percent efforts in the match (our target is 100) we are simply not working hard enough to close down opponents. This is both a problem in work rate and reaction time.  We were either outnumbered at contests or too slow to react which lead to most players being caught in between contests. We need to be more decisive and deliberate in our attack on the opposition when defending. Two goals in a game of football is obviously unacceptable. Certainly, our goal kicking did not assist in this area. Another area for improvement. Perhaps of biggest concern is our inability to stand up and stem the flow when under pressure. I saw too many heads drop when things weren’t going our way. We need to understand that football is a tough game and league football requires a steely resolve to stand up under fire both as a team and an individual.  Importantly, I thought Tom Keough was able to provide real impact in the midfield when moved there part way through the game. I thought Aaron Anderson displayed a consistent work ethic and Jake Wilson made some important defensive plays.

As coach of West Adelaide Football Club, I apologise. I am responsible for team performance and this week I failed you. I have begun and will continue to have the honest conversations required to address our shortcomings and ascertain why we came with such a poor mental approach. The players and I know that we have let you down and ourselves down. But in sport and life we are defined by our resilience, not by our perfections. It is only round 2. We will continue to look for every learning opportunity that comes with such a loss and then start looking to next week. I understand, given our performance, that many of you will not be inclined to travel out to Elizabeth for this week’s game. But in dark hours, we need your support more than ever. I can only ask you to keep the faith and know that we will do everything we can to improve.

westadelaidefc

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Life long passionate supporter
Oldfella

Back to top Go down

Post by LukeO9 on Mon 09 Apr 2018, 11:00 am

I don't understand the criticism regarding recruiting. If you saw the trial game against Norwood, anyone would have thought West might reach the finals this year. 4(?) players missing from that team (what happened to Beech?) doesn't explain the ineptitude yesterday.
West tried to play "open" footy all day. I don't know whether this was from instruction or not, but I would have thought that after 6 quick goals to nil, a "man-on-man" strategy to apply pressure was a no brainer.
One highlight - Mason's 50m goal. I would add Hill to the coach's semi-praise list.
I do like the written response from the coach, knowing that a concerted effort is being made to address the shocker, but a material response is what's required....pending.
LukeO9

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2014-05-22

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by BloodsFireUp on Mon 09 Apr 2018, 12:37 pm

Second Team wrote:Random thoughts.

1. Parrella is a young ruck learning how to play the game.
2. Hill, Noble, Schiller, Bately, Waite and Karpany all need to be taught how to kick under pressure.
3. Despite all the hype Burgess is a backman and Hupfeld is a forward.
4. Webby's ankle is rooted . Tyler needs to come in.
5. Game plan under pressure failed badly.
6. Beechy, Rankine, Wazza and Stevo are our best kicks and we have struggled without them.
7. If you lose the centre clearances and kick it poorly into the forward 50 you won't win the game. Shocked Shocked Shocked

Spot on Second Team - you have nailed it. Further to this our midfield brigade were unable to hit targets and our ability to lock things down at the centre bounce when North had asendancy went begging. I would have thought with the game over at qtr time that we wld have changed up the mids to try and create something or at least lock it down in the centre. On the rare occasion our mids got first use of the footy they turned it over with poor execution. Keough into the mids in the 3rd qtr made a difference but the horse had bolted by then.

Not sure why we are not using the centre corridor and playing more direct? On the odd occasion we did, we had entry into our forward line. We seemed to want to play th boundary line and that will never result in high forward entry's. We don't seem to like opening up on the 'fat side' of the ground by switching the ball. When we did on the very rare occasion this resulted in a forward entry. If our mids brigade can't hit targets then leading forwards have no hope. We just seem content to bomb the ball in and hope for the best.

Has to be changes next week and I would expect to see mids come in at the expense of reputations. We need players that can consistently hit targets. Mids need to be gut runners and able to transition into our backline and follow their direct opponent down. Our backline was under siege with Norths mids running down while we were content not to be accountable.

Tough day at the office and from this game 2 things will happen:
1. It's the catalyst to turn things around (remembering it is only round 2). It could be the best thing to happen to us early in the season. Our pres season trials showed a lot of promise and upside so I have confidence this disaster will be the spark we need to turn things around.

2. Things will spiral down very quickly.

Let's get behind the club, the coach and the players and turn this around.
BloodsFireUp

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2017-09-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Lachlan on Mon 09 Apr 2018, 1:25 pm

The coaches report is honest and forthright and it needed to be.

The players surely are embarrassed and a response against Centrals is
non negotiable.
Lachlan

Number of posts : 506

Back to top Go down

Post by blackandred on Mon 09 Apr 2018, 8:36 pm

It is pleasing that the coach has responded in a timely manner to yesterday’s poor performance. Any club would find it hard to deal with such an atrocious effort but especially a struggling club like Westies. We simply can’t afford to lose any of our supporter base.

We will welcome back a couple of key players next week but there also needs to be some hard selection decisions made to follow up the coaches report. A strong message needs to be sent and reputations and experience put aside by the selectors.

Keough, Wilson, Noble and Hill the only players who could hold their heads up at Prospect yesterday.

Like others I have followed the club for a long time (60 plus years) and this was, possibly, the worst game I have seen.
blackandred

Number of posts : 144

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by TAAARS on Tue 10 Apr 2018, 2:18 pm

That does not surprise me as the ball was down that end all day. Bit hard for a forward to gather possessions when he never sees the ball.
TAAARS

Number of posts : 141

Back to top Go down

Post by RODH2 on Sun 29 Apr 2018, 6:27 pm

Kind of makes me feel (a bit) better, with North beating the Eagles today........... Looks like we were first in line!! Shocked
RODH2

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum