WEST V Sturt

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Re: WEST V Sturt

Post by Bloodntars on Wed May 30, 2018 12:28 pm

Second Team wrote:Any changes this week?
Did Tyler come good after being knocked out?
Did we get anymore injuries? Shocked Shocked Shocked

I would love to see Gibson Turner come in while Rankine is away. Hard to see who he comes in for though. Maybe Karpany but he’d be pretty unlucky as his forward line pressure has been very good.
Bloodntars

Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2013-09-25

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian on Wed May 30, 2018 5:01 pm

Beech and Green are listed as having hamstring injuries.
aldo russian

Number of posts : 583

Back to top Go down

Post by Thiele on Wed May 30, 2018 5:38 pm

Surely Gibbo plays Saturday. After he dominated 7 coverage from Alice Springs on Sunday.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
2015 PREMIERS. GO BLOODS
Thiele

Number of posts : 456

Back to top Go down

Post by Thiele on Thu May 31, 2018 6:05 pm

West Adelaide will be without two key players for its big clash with Sturt on Saturday.
Former Crow Jonathon Beech and running defender Shannon Green have been sidelined by hamstring strains.
First-choice ruckman Tyler McPherson is also unavailable due to suffering concussion in Round 8, prompting the recall of former Sturt giant Andre Parrella to face his old side.
Lachlan Evans and Jack Evans come into the Bloods’ 23-man squad while two other players could make their Macca’s League debut.
Former Richmond rookie Gibson Turner, who has also been playing for the Redtails in Alice Springs, has been named on the extended bench with possible BankSA Rookie Elliott Dunkin (19, 179cm and 68kg) from PHOS Camden FC.

F: B. Turner, Bates, Karpany
HF: Anderson, Middleton, L. Evans
C: Batley, Stevens, Noble
HB: Wasley-Black, Burgess, Hill
B: Agostino, Wilson, Head

R: Parrella, Keough, Schiller
INT: G. Turner, J. Ryan, Porplyzia, J. Evans, Dunkin
IN: G. Turner, Dunkin, Parrella, L. Evans, J. Evans
OUT: McPherson (concussion), Beech (hamstring), Green (hamstring)

Reserves
Eastmann, Fairlie, Gutsche, Halkias, Heitmann, Holliday, Hupfeld, Inglis, I. Johnson, O. Johnson, Kirk, Laube, Lynch, Majok, Miller, Osborn, Peter, Pillion, Rana, L. Ryan, Waite.
STURT

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
2015 PREMIERS. GO BLOODS
Thiele

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian on Thu May 31, 2018 7:42 pm

That's making it hard.
aldo russian

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian on Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:55 pm

That's a really good effort today. We could almost have won it without a couple of very poor umpiring decisions in the first half, and some horrible disposal by some experienced players.
Dunkin used the ball really well and made good decisions in his first game and Turner looked dangerous in his debut. Probably the best I've seen Brett Turner play too.
They split us open a few times in the first half but we seemed to get on top of that issue in the second half. The team looks really spirited, although I also thought it looked like we tired in the last quarter.

Thought Schiller was our best.
If a few things had gone our way, including injuries, we could easily have won it. We have hope.
aldo russian

Back to top Go down

Post by Thiele on Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:37 pm

Even though the result didn't go our way. There are some really good signs. The reserves got up by a few points

Last edited by Thiele on Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

2015 PREMIERS. GO BLOODS
Thiele

Back to top Go down

Post by LukeO9 on Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:41 pm

Great game ruined by the umpiring.
LukeO9

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2014-05-22

Back to top Go down

Post by RODH2 on Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:04 pm

A good 4 quarter effort, (I was waiting for a 3rd 1/4 fade-out!), but, ahh, "inconsistent" umpiring brought us undone in the end..
RODH2

Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2015-03-28

Back to top Go down

Post by blackandred on Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:15 pm

This game saw the last two SANFL Premiers playing in perfect conditions at Richmond. Westies started without Porplyzia and with 2 first gamers in Turner and Dunkin on the park.

Considering where the teams finished in 2017 Westies would be happy with the way they played out the game and the level of commitment they displayed. We were always in with a chance to win and if not for the odd umpiring call, the luck of the bounce and some poor decision making and execution under pressure we could have won the game. We had more of the ball than Sturt but didn’t use it as well as them. Sturt are a class unit and they had to fight hard to keep in front all day. They kicked a goal late in time on in the last but until then there was only a couple of kicks in it.

From last week we lost Porplyzia, Beech and Green and it hurt. Our forward set up was found lacking when we were kicking to a leading Karpany, possibly the smallest man on the field. In the last Q we ended the game with our full back, Jake Wilson,
at full forward.

On the plus side the 2 first gamers put in excellent performances. Dunkin is a smooth mover and looked good. Turner was adjusting to the pace early but has the X factor and will kick a few goals for us this year.

Bates did some terrific work up forward. Hill and Burgess played a great last Q. Noble was busy and took 12 marks and Anderson did some strong work around the ground. Stevens, Schiller and Keough put in their usual consistent efforts. I counted 9 players 22yo or younger out there today.
blackandred

Number of posts : 144

Back to top Go down

Post by Lachlan on Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:32 pm

I agree with the other posters that the result could have been different, however our ball use going inside 50 was poor and it's  been a problem all year.
We need to find or recruit a couple of Mids who can kick the ball.

Our defence was very inexperienced with the Evans boys,Head and Dunkin,all tried hard.
Dunkin has a future at league level he is cool and he makes good decisions.

Brett Turner played his best game at league level, he was very good at stoppages and he worked hard around the contest something he needs to continue to do. I would continue to play him in the midfield.

Schiller was our best and l also thought Middleton did some useful things. Stevens found plenty of the ball, however he turned the ball over  at critical times. Keough continues to be a very consistent  Midfielder.
Zac Bates has been a solid contributor all year and if he really put his mind to it he could become a very good league footballer.
Gibson Turner showed enough to think he will be a handy player for us, he lacks fitness.
He will be a better player next year with a full Pre-Season.

I like the way Colville coaches he is willing to try things by interchanging both Burgess and Wilson between defence and attack. Would love to recruit another genuine Key forward to help Middleton.

Missing Green,Beech,Porps and Rankine today really hurt us.

I don't normally comment on Umpires, however today I thought they were very ordinary with free kicks paid at crucial times during the match.

One thing we need to work on is our tackling we only had 31 of them today. It's an area we need to improve rapidly if we are to beat Norwood next week who are in very good form at the moment.

Last edited by Lachlan on Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lachlan

Number of posts : 506

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian on Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:20 pm

I should also add I thought Parella, despite giving away a couple of dumb frees, did a sterling job and gave our mids enough opportunities with his tap work against a much more experienced opponent.
aldo russian

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by merrick1 on Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:10 pm

South Australia National Football League (SANFL)
Lucindale Football Club Inc.
Fielke, Aaron
Approved
2018-05-24
2018-05-30
merrick1

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2016-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by LukeO9 on Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:47 am

Given Sturt scored almost half their goals from free kicks, double that of West, I looked at the umpiring during the game and listed my assessment of the first 2 quarters, where 'e' denotes what I thought was an obvious error, with the others being common faults.
SANFL DigitalPass video time / Quarter time / event / e = error

14:58 3:06  Kirkwood goes forward 1m from the mark
22:22 10:29 Greenslade throw e
25:48 13:55 Sliming goes forward >5m from the mark e
26:52 15:00 Dunkin tackled without the ball e
29:06 17:13 Hone holding the ball, tried to break the tackle
31:34 19:41 F Evans goes forward >3m from the mark e

51:49 4:18 Wilson held without the ball by Greenslade
52:10 4:40 High hit on Noble by Colquhoun e
52:19 4:40 Colquhoun throw
54:17 6:46 Incorrect holding the ball decision against Head e
57:42 10:11 Stevens in the back by Colquhoun
1:02:31 15:00 McAdam played on e
1:06:23 18:52 Read goes forward >3m from the mark
1:09:00 21:29 High tackle on Anderson e
1:13:48 26:17 Sturt player goes forward >5m from the mark e

Though this assessment by itself doesn't determine bias (since there were umpiring errors unfavourable to Sturt ie, 28:22 16:29 Head holding the ball e), it supports the general belief that West were hard done by, especially when 54:17 and 1:02:31 resulted in goals for Sturt, and 1:09:00 denied West a shot on goal.

Without the suggestion of bias, the umpiring undeniabaly spoiled what was otherwise a great game.
LukeO9

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian on Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:16 pm

One thing they're very slack on is the mark. I too noticed a Sturt player creep over a metre or two when we were lining up for a shot from about 50 metres, where an extra metre can be the difference between a goal and no score.
They also let players wander off their line to improve the angle for a shot at goal.

Last edited by aldo russian on Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
aldo russian

Back to top Go down

Post by TAAARS on Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:50 pm

Can't disagree with any of that. However we as a club don't do ourselves any favours either. For example, at halftime when the umpires came off the whole grandstand area was booing them off. What do you think the umpires think about during the break? I suggest that they think West Adelaide club are a bunch of Pr##ks and take it out on our players even more so in the 2nd half. A much better response would be total silence , the kind that you could hear a pin drop.(stunned silence ) They would very quickly get the message that we thought their umpiring was not up to scratch. Might even re assess the free kick count etc. Who knows? Has to be better than antagonizing them however.
TAAARS

Number of posts : 141

Back to top Go down

Post by LukeO9 on Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:16 pm

TAAARS wrote:....[umpires] take it out on our players even more so in the 2nd half.
I really don't think they would do that, or even think of doing it.
I believe the West crowd gave a correct message - not happy, and I would add, justifiably so.
The umpires obviously want to do the best they can. The particular umpire that didn't call McAdam to play on after he step over the mark probably realised it was a mistake afterwards. No harm in 100s of people reminding him.
The umpiring in the second half was much better, where I thought only Anderson tackled below the knee (2:19:16 / 8:40, 3rd Q) was an error to West's disadvantage, but with continued mark encroaching.
I laughed when the commentator said the West crowd were shouting at Noble to play on, when the annoyance was clearly directed at the umpire for allowing Sliming to overstep the mark by many meters.
LukeO9

Back to top Go down

Post by brodlach on Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:31 pm

I’m glad you deleted that post merrick, I have been fuming since I read it earlier today
brodlach

Number of posts : 291

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian on Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:05 am

I agree Luke. The umpires are more likely to be influenced by any lopsidedness in the half-time free kick stats (justified or not) than any crowd reaction.
aldo russian

Back to top Go down

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum