So how do we rate 2018?

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Go down

So how do we rate 2018?

Post by TAAARS on Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:14 pm

Another season has come and gone for Westies A's at least.
How do supporters rate it?
For mine on a scale of 1 to 10 I would rate the year as a 7,given where we started from.
We have definitely improved this year. Could have won 1 or 2 more games if things went our way a bit more and had not thrown away the Norwood game. As the old saying goes "Rome wasn't built in a day" but we are getting there.
Realistically we were always going to struggle to make the 5 this year but I believe we are on the cusp for next year.
The young players will only get better, we have talent coming up through the reserves and a good coach IMHO.
We need to recruit a couple of key senior players to help out so hopefully we will.
The five is a must for next year to continue our progress. After that we launch for the flag in the year or two following.
Gavin the coach I rate an 8+ on the year. This bloke knows what he is doing and leads the group well. I have been impressed.
That is how I see it anyway.
What do others think?
TAAARS

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2013-09-25

Back to top Go down

Re: So how do we rate 2018?

Post by Wolf Pack on Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:36 pm

I disagree. I give the season a 5 out of 10.
We won 8 games BUT we only beat 4 teams in the comp.
6 wins came from beating Adelaide, Port and Central twice.
We also beat South twice.
I don't see many players from the twos that can come in and make an immediate impact at league level.

We lose Rankine, Porplyzia, Webb and probably Burgess.
We must recruit 3 or 4 players that can play league football from round 1.
If we don't, we will remain near the bottom.
I agree with the comments about our coach.
He is great and I love his passion!!
Wolf Pack

Number of posts : 303
Registration date : 2013-09-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella on Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:27 am

Imo, we were in year 1 of a 3 year rebuild and based on this i give us an overall 8/10

I believe the work done in grooming young future league players as part of this program has been excelent including fast track u/18 into reserves --- most were not ready for league this year but with a strong preseason i feel some may be pleasantly surprised as there is more than one who are league standard.

With a couple of exceptions in most games we were hampered by periods of inconsistent standard of play during the game but our good play was highly competitive with other clubs ---- a quite normal factor for a team rebuilding imo.

A major impact on our season was that while we had in therory †high quality experienced senior most had a season plagued by injury or plain stupid unprofessional suspensions ---- several of these players have now moved on so i agree thatmit is critical that we recruit experienced hard body recruits to place around these kids.

I rate the senior coach and his coaching panel performane at ,9.9 --- i believe Gavin will develop into the best coach we have had since Kerls ---- big call i know but this guy is the full package and we must lock him away as i know he is the future. †

Some factors i find especially pleasing and will produce results

The way that young quality players are being fast tracked but in a balanced way that does not burn them as we have with some juniors in the past

The clear strong approach by the coach that if after fair time you are not up to league standard and/or cannot improve with targetted skills training then that player will not be there holdjing up the development and oportunity of another quality junior --- words are cheap but this coach is actually doing it

We still have another year or so of pain but i believe that will give longterm gain †--- we are still going to be so depended on the fitness and availability of senior players however several of our so called kids are now around 50 games and the prime of thier careers if they take the challenge

The ongoing work of the football manager, football talent manager and recruiting staff has been excelent IMO and stability and continuation in these areas is critical

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Life long passionate supporter
Oldfella

Number of posts : 354
Job/hobbies : Retired due to being certified mad

Back to top Go down

Post by Mypaspective on Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:46 am

I agree with you TAARS.
The year was a progressive one in my view. I personally think that 8 wins was in my thoughts at the start of the year which is steady progress on the 5 wins last year. I would add that we were in the game on many occasions against top 3 sides but for a lapse of concentration in 15mins or one quarter in some cases. Leave alone that very frustrating loss to Norwood by one point.

This indicated to me that weíre not too far away.

Of the 4 players mentioned by WP, Porps & Webby had little impact all year as their bodies were struggling plus they both missed a considerable number of games with injury. Rankine also missed approx half the season with U18 duties & suspension. We will definitely miss Burgo but he hasnít gone yet so letís remain positive. I also believe (contrary to the gloom of WP) that there are several Reserves players who can step into League next year & have an impact. O & I Johnson, E Dunkin, M Waite & young Laube to name a few. Our depth has definitely improved which is evident by the fact that the Reserves are playing in the finals.

The club will recruit a couple of players so I am confident of further progress into the top 5 next year.

Mypaspective

Number of posts : 289
Registration date : 2015-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by bundy on Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:49 pm

From watching on digital pass,i would give our team 7/10 because i like the style of game Gavin is trying to bring to the club. i like Karpany plays like a genuine rover just needs to get rid of ball quicker. Middleton could be a 80 goal season coming soon with a bit better delivery and Noble who has talent to burn,great skills.
Gavin i give 8/10 speaks and presents himself well. We looked a lot quicker than last year our skills were better as well but still need work. A good choice by the Club to appoint him.
bundy

Number of posts : 311
Job/hobbies : Lawn Bowls at Wasleys
Registration date : 2013-09-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine on Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:45 pm

Our Reserves went down to Central after a tight battle, where we drew to within 3 points in the last quarter

As said above, the task now is to make sure we recruit well, within the restrictions on us. We're confident of doing that this year.

I'm now at the Murrayville Hall for the Mallee Football League Medal count night.

Mods a guest speaker.

Lee Harradine

Number of posts : 800
Registration date : 2014-05-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Second Team on Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:37 pm

Lee Harradine wrote:Our Reserves went down to Central after a tight battle, where we drew to within 3 points in the last quarter

As said above, the task now is to make sure we recruit well, within the restrictions on us. We're confident of doing that this year.

I'm now at the Murrayville Hall for the Mallee Football League Medal count night.

Mods a guest speaker.

Here we go again. I thought we were on a level playing field again.
Another year of salary cap restrictions spells trouble. †ShockedShockedShocked

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Kick it forward. It's the new game plan.
Second Team

Number of posts : 479

Back to top Go down

Post by whispy on Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:32 am

I think we had a reasonable year. I rated it at around 6/10.

A strange comment from some one in the Riverland on Facebook regarding recruiting.

Yeah well you probably could 'if' you treated your RFL recruiting zone with at least 'some' respect!

From what I gather, the tide has turned against any Westies related SANFL ambitions, rather they'd prefer to bide their time and go to a fair dinkum 'caring and ambitious' club!

Your loss.

I guess most of us know who he is relating to.
whispy

Number of posts : 75
Registration date : 2014-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella on Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:42 am

Whispy,

Comment very strange but without background on issue very hard to prove eitherway -- is this about player whose friends and family think is a champion but has proved not to be or otherwise disgruntled.

Your suggestion that most off us know who he is relating too ---- well i dont know †---- your comment is so open that it brings in question all club paid unpaid officials from president to mascott

Have you brought this facebook allegation to the club for investigation as a good supporter -- no??

Thinly vieled but personally i see this as an attack on a club official in conflict with site guidelines --- moderators please review.

If you want to discuss further feel free to contact ne on PM always love to chat to fellow members

Oldfella

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella on Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:43 am

bundy wrote:From watching on digital pass,i would give our team 7/10 because i like the style of game Gavin is trying to bring to the club. i like Karpany plays like a genuine rover just needs to get rid of ball quicker. Middleton could be a 80 goal season coming soon with a bit better delivery and Noble who has talent to burn,great skills.
Gavin i give 8/10 speaks and presents himself well. We looked a lot quicker than last year our skills were better as well but still need work. A good choice by the Club to appoint him.

I think you nailed it old son

Oldfella

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella on Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:53 am

Second Team wrote:
Lee Harradine wrote:Our Reserves went down to Central after a tight battle, where we drew to within 3 points in the last quarter

Mods a guest speaker.

Here we go again. I thought we were on a level playing field again.
Another year of salary cap restrictions spells trouble. †ShockedShockedShocked

Must be honest mate last i heard was that the club was requesting from sanfl that the stupid and unfair salary cap restrictions be lifted and they were hopefull.

If we are interpreting Lees comment correctly the totally agree with you this is BIG trouble for next seasons recruiting

Oldfella

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine on Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:49 pm

The site subscription is due for renewal again. †

It is $90.

I have paid the subscription happily for the last many years and will do so again, to give a voice to our fans

It has been suggested we close down, but I'd hate to see that, so if a few could pledge (say) $10, it would be appreciated.

Last edited by Lee Harradine on Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella on Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:12 pm

More than happy to commit to 10 more if needed mate.

Edited to add

Once you know please PM me mate

Oldfella

Back to top Go down

Post by Mypaspective on Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:32 pm

Count me in for $10 Lee. I know how much effort & $$$ u put in.

Next time I see u Iíll fix u up.
Mypaspective

Back to top Go down

Post by Second Team on Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:23 pm

So did we get a answer to the 70K question. After finishing bottom for 3 years with a restricted salary cap , do we have a full cap next year. Are we still hobbled next year or not. Shocked Shocked Shocked

Kick it forward. It's the new game plan.
Second Team

Number of posts : 479

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella on Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:40 pm

Punchie sorry SC since i know you can read and write you know there has been no response yet LOL

Why not PM lee

Oldfella

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine on Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:41 pm

I look forward to your donation, ST. Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian on Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:04 pm

I'm in for 10.
The salary cap restrictions are a disgrace, particularly with regard to what's going on at some other clubs.
aldo russian

Number of posts : 574

Back to top Go down

Post by Lachlan on Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:21 pm

I'm ok for $10.
Lachlan

Number of posts : 501

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine on Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:19 am

whispy wrote:I think we had a reasonable year. I rated it at around 6/10.

A strange comment from some one in the Riverland on Facebook regarding recruiting.

Yeah well you probably could 'if' you treated your RFL recruiting zone with at least 'some' respect!

From what I gather, the tide has turned against any Westies related SANFL ambitions, rather they'd prefer to bide their time and go to a fair dinkum 'caring and ambitious' club!

Your loss.

I guess most of us know who he is relating to.

Posters should be very careful about taking an anonymous comment from one person and making allegations against others.

The commenter about our Riverland activities lives in Brisbane. The club concerned and the Riverland Football League hold West Adelaide in high esteem for the work we do in their area. They are united in their condemnation of the comment concerned.

I would also suggest to the 2 or 3 who constantly use this site to attack employees to be very careful in what they put on social media. There are laws of defamation to consider.

Fair criticism of the club is always allowed on this site, but spurious and personal attacks aren't.

Enough is enough.

Have a think about whether you're a genuine supporter or using social media to attack people who can't fight back.

Any more and it will be a permanent ban from this site.

Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolfman Jack on Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:27 am

Well said Lee.

Iím in for$10.
Wolfman Jack

Number of posts : 48
Job/hobbies : Retired
Registration date : 2013-10-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine on Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:14 am

I deleted a post where a poster suggested I was 'begging' for $90.

Thanks to those who have offered to keep the site going.

Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by Jamo on Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:32 am

Hello All, Most of you would know me around the club as the youngest member of the Jamo Clan and Member of the History Group.

On field:4/10 With the cattle we had 8/10

Firstly On field was we promising this year with the cattle Gavin had at hand. winning 8 games was a good improvement on past seasons. In My opinion we where missing 2 Mids, A key Forward and another Ruckman. Hopefully this year Gavin Get's the extra 50k we Sacrificed under the SANFL guild lines to help us finical( i know for a fact the sanfl has removed this, so the 50k is there if we can afford it) which we need it to be able to recruit the Quality of players we need to strengthen the current group we have.

Players to standout this year Noble, Stevo, Schiller, Mason, both Johnsons brothers and Turner.

When i have some more time and not 1/2 a sleep i will finish my report

cheers
Red and Black Forever Home

RED BLACK 2015.
Jamo

Number of posts : 172
Job/hobbies : Accounts Manager Timber Wholesale
Registration date : 2013-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Mypaspective on Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:38 am

Burgo Jamo????
Mypaspective