Notice of special general meeting

 :: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Page 6 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Re: Notice of special general meeting

Post by Admin on Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:47 am

No holiday, whispy, but please cease insulting those who disagree with you. Oh, and perhaps also those who give you the opportunity to have your say on this forum.

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2015-06-21

Back to top Go down

Re: Notice of special general meeting

Post by brodlach on Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:22 am

One word WOW!
brodlach
brodlach

Number of posts : 305
Registration date : 2013-09-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Notice of special general meeting

Post by Hotdip on Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:53 am

RODH2 wrote:Then you will vote for Members, Y'now, WEST ADELAIDE members, electing THEIR Board, Hotdip.
So have you ever voted if so when because westies haven't had an election for 6years so some people on the board have not been voted in
So nothing is going to change
As I said I will listen to both sides a d then vote for what I think is best for the club
Hotdip
Hotdip

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2017-06-14

Back to top Go down

Re: Notice of special general meeting

Post by Admin on Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:04 am

We merely ask (on numerous occasions) for posters to keep to the subject and show respect for other posters.

If anyone has any problems with the moderation, we're happy to discuss it with you in person, as fellow West Adelaide supporters.

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2015-06-21

Back to top Go down

Re: Notice of special general meeting

Post by Oldfella on Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:07 am

Whispy,

I happily take your point. Sturt have done very well in thier rebuild and they are to be commended for the financial position. In time members will have a clubroom and i am especially pleased to see that whilst still growing thier estranged relationship with the local councillor.

There is sturt supporters complaining about thier voting rights in other site etc if you care to look. In fact in this very thread mockijay post a comment on exacly this from another site by chambo who you may not have realised is a sturt supporter.

Your comment quote "How long before the SANFL has stopped issuing the golden eggs from the sale of Footy park that keeps us afloat? That won't last forever." Is spot on and this is an issue for more than just Westies and concerns us all! ---- all any board can do is to keep working on improvements to the clubs basic position.

In our case,
a profit for the third year in a row and,
No debt within 4 years.

I am sad that you see it as scaremongering for posters to raise questions based on fact contained within the clubs information package, historical records or offering a different viewpoint.

If you have another look then you will see that this is due to some posters reraising the same comment which had been previously discussed again. You in fact have done this.

What i personally in fact find insulting to my and others intelligence is how no one supporting the proposed constitution changes provides any evidence in response to the base question posed ----- this includes posting by Jamo of 2 former board members comment and an earlier post by (i suspect) a former board member.

Even though you may find it repetative those base question are unchanged and unanswered;

1.   ON FACE VALUE ALL RECOMMENDATIONS FOR IMPROVEMENT CAN BE ACHIEVED UNDER THE PRESENT CONSTITION.


2.   WHY IS THERE A NEED TO ATTACK MEMBERS CONTROL OF THE CLUB

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Life long passionate supporter
Oldfella
Oldfella

Number of posts : 420
Job/hobbies : Retired due to being certified mad
Registration date : 2013-09-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Notice of special general meeting

Post by RODH2 on Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:27 am

Hotdip wrote:
RODH2 wrote:Then you will vote for Members, Y'now, WEST ADELAIDE members, electing THEIR Board, Hotdip.
So have you ever voted if so when because westies haven't had an election for 6years  so some people on the board have not been voted in
So nothing is going to change
As I said I will listen to both sides a d then vote for what I think is best for the club
I will be voting for Members to retain their rights, Hotdip, I haven't seen a positive case put forward by the proponents of this motion. And things HAVE been changing, positively, both on and off the oval. IMHO, the case for this change has been poorly presented, and if this is any indication of what is in store in the future, well, no thanks.
RODH2
RODH2

Number of posts : 108
Registration date : 2015-03-28

Back to top Go down

Re: Notice of special general meeting

Post by Oldfella on Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:39 am

Hotdip wrote:
RODH2 wrote:Then you will vote for Members, Y'now, WEST ADELAIDE members, electing THEIR Board, Hotdip.
So have you ever voted if so when because westies haven't had an election for 6years  so some people on the board have not been voted in
So nothing is going to change
As I said I will listen to both sides a d then vote for what I think is best for the club

Hotdip,

I think you will find many posters on this site are long term members and includes Life Members so yes RODG2 and others have previously vote.

You have previously posted words similar to your latest assertion "haven't had an election for 6years  so some people on the board have not been voted in" and as per the previously response you are wrong in this asserion. But i am happy to repeat previous response for you😊


In the past 5  (may be longer) each board member who has reached the end of his 2 year term and chose to seek reelection has nominated and been placed in front of the members at the AGM for election voting if required.

I believe all cases there were the same number of candidates as positions available and as such consistent with the clubs constitution were declared elected unapposed to the board.

So the simple straight answer to your question is that with the exception of any direct appointmented board members ALL board members including the president whose term in officer had ended and sought reelection were legally and constitutionally voted in!

The reason you dont recall a vote is because it was not needed due to candidate/position numbers being equal  hence a formal vote by member was not required

ALL PRESENT BOARD MEMBERS HAVE BEEN LEGALLY VOTED IN UNDER THE CONSTITUTION.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Life long passionate supporter
Oldfella
Oldfella

Number of posts : 420
Job/hobbies : Retired due to being certified mad
Registration date : 2013-09-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Notice of special general meeting

Post by Hotdip on Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:47 am

You forgot to tell us that you are a life member
Hotdip
Hotdip

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2017-06-14

Back to top Go down

Re: Notice of special general meeting

Post by Admin on Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:33 am

West Adelaide members to vote on changes to board
Warren Partland, The Advertiser
December 12, 2018 10:39am
Subscriber only

WEST Adelaide’s board faces a major overhaul if a recommendation gains approval at a members’ vote on Monday night.

Needing 75 per cent majority to be implemented, the change in constitution would allow the members to elect two members of the board and a nomination committee determine the other five.

However, the current board will remain intact until the annual meeting in February.

And SANFL game development manager Ben Hopkins has been appointed interim chief executive for six months at the Bloods, replacing David Grenvold in the role.

The members’ vote next week follows a recommendation from a sub committee given the job of reviewing the governance of the board.

The board is currently elected by the members, but the proposal from the sub committee would enable people with vital skills who are reluctant to go through the election process have a key role in the direction of the Bloods.


The new constitution would require all board members to resign at the annual meeting. It would then be the responsibility of nomination committee members John Kantilaftas, David Shipway and Adrian O’Dea, who all have a deep history with the Bloods, to name five members of the board.

A restructure of the front office is also being considered.

“We are looking at a possible restructure to see if we can do things better, save a bit of money here and there,” said Bloods president Lee Harradine, who is keen to continue in the position beyond the annual meeting.

“The (Woodville-West Torrens) Eagles have a football manager and commercial manager, we need to see what is best for us.”

Harradine said the changes at the Bloods did not mean there was a crisis at the club and he was genuinely optimistic for the future.

He backed Gavin Colville as the “right coach” and claimed recruiting had been as productive as hoped given the restricted salary cap placed on the club by the SANFL.

“We are reducing debt rapidly,” he said. “We still have to improve the trading model, but we are way out of the woods compared to where we were four or five years ago.

“Off field, I have no doubt about the club whatsoever. Our only long-term debt is to our supporter group Wolfpack and that had been reduced significantly.”
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2015-06-21

Back to top Go down

Re: Notice of special general meeting

Post by Admin on Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:35 am

Hotdip wrote:You forgot to tell us that you are a life member

Still going for the cheap shots, hotdip?

Being a Life member means you have given outstanding service to the club. Some Life Members have given decades of service.
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2015-06-21

Back to top Go down

Re: Notice of special general meeting

Post by Oldfella on Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:08 am

Hotdip wrote:You forgot to tell us that you are a life member

Mate

come on and your point is?.

Read my  previous posts i have on more than one occasion clearly stated that i am a LIFE MEMBER. In fact if as early as page 1 of this discussion i stated  "As a life member i will not support any proposal that takes control of the club from the members and have repeated this or words similar identifying myself as a life member and my base position many times so sorry there is no smoking gun.

If you are suggesting or inferring that i am posting for any reason other than my concerns for members rights you are WRONG AGAIN. So you understand. Where members right are concerned then long friendship, personal like or dislike of another club member mean jackshit to me and are discounted and rejected.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

All my comments have been based on the clubs information or double/triple confirmed information available for anyone who seeks it and just does not take statement by individuals as fact without confirming.

I have deliberately not told any member how to vote and in fact have repeatedly encouraged members of both sides of the question to vote.

I have been totally open that i am a Life Member and have been totally open on how i intend to vote and base reasons why EG attack on members rights.

I have on more than one occassion identified that there is some very good ideas within the recomendations and that regardless of the vote outcome the board must not allow these to be lost.

Except for 1 embarressing occasion where in anger i stepped over the site guidelines and the site administrators rightly warned me i immediately deleted my offending post and apologised to members. I have tried to respond in a fair, open and factual manner so members are aware of both sides of any individual question raised so they then can make thier decision either way.

Even though you may find it repetative i have repeatedly and will continue to invite those on the YES side including past board member to repond to the base questions (which have not changed) that many members are asking so they may understand all factors and at this time not responded too;

1.   ON FACE VALUE ALL RECOMMENDATIONS FOR IMPROVEMENT CAN BE ACHIEVED UNDER THE PRESENT CONSTITION.


2.   WHY IS THERE A NEED TO ATTACK MEMBERS CONTROL OF THE CLUB

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Life long passionate supporter
Oldfella
Oldfella

Number of posts : 420
Job/hobbies : Retired due to being certified mad
Registration date : 2013-09-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Notice of special general meeting

Post by Oldfella on Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:49 pm

Thank you to Admin for posting the latest Advertiser article.

In my opinion, except for two omissions this latest article presents a well written,  balanced view of relevant issues and i recomend all read.

It is pleasing that this time the Advertiser sought and wrote comments from an official West Adelaide spokesperson unlike the previous article where i know they did not contact the club or an official club spokesperson.

I wish to make it clear that i know that the West Adelaide member (a club legend) who was quoted in the previous article never claimed to be a club spokesperson nor in any manner did he betray in any manner club confidentiallity matters as chair of the sub-committee. He clearly acted in an honourable, ethical manner.

Given the mention in the article his long history at West Adelaide, SANFL board member and chair of the sub-committee. I believe by inference the article lead to readers to believe untruely he was an official club spokesperson which is totally unfair on this club legend.

I do think that there is a lesson in this for all members in any future dealing with media to ensure the media understand and include in thier articles that they are not an official club spokesperson but are commenting as an individual member. I and as i understand it the club strongly support the right of members to comment on club matters providing said comments are not derogitory or damaging to the club or any club official or volunteer

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Life long passionate supporter
Oldfella
Oldfella

Number of posts : 420
Job/hobbies : Retired due to being certified mad
Registration date : 2013-09-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Notice of special general meeting

Post by brodlach on Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:54 pm

From the website, frequently asked questions

What impact will the proposed changes have on members’ voting rights?

Outside the election of officers, the proposed amendments to the Constitution do not change the voting rights of members in anyway.

Why do we need to change from the current model which allows for 8 elected directors and up to 4 board appointed directors

The KPMG Review found that the current board is too large for effective decision making and leadership. The ability for the members to elect 8 board members without any nomination process makes it effectively impossible to ensure that the right skill sets and diverse views and represented.

From its enquiries and own observations, there are a number of well qualified potential board members who would be happy to be considered for a board position, but who may not put their name forward in the event that they were forced to go through a process of competing for other better known candidates in a general election.

When will the changes come into effect?

If the resolution is passed, then a new board will be put in place and the AGM to be held in February 2019. The inaugural nominations committee of John Kantilaftas, Adrian O’Dea and David Shipway AM will be tasked with finding the best available candidates for the 5 nominated positions and any member of the club can nominate for the 2 vacant directly elected positions.

What happens if the board doesn’t perform?

The amendments establish a governance committee that will be responsible for preparing the individual board director responsibilities and for monitoring each board members performance against those responsibilities

In the case of serious under performance the governance committee has the power to recommend that a board member be removed

What is the rationale for increasing nominated board terms to three years?

In the case of the President, it makes for a stable club environment if that position is secured for a three year term.

In the case of other Nominated Positions, (particularly those that involve skills other than football such as finance or marketing) it takes some time for new board members to understand the way SANFL Clubs operate. If those terms were restricted to 2 years then that background knowledge can be lost.

Will some or all of the current board continue in their positions?

Each of the current board positions will be vacated at the 2019 AGM. Each of those board members may apply for either a nominated or a directly elected position on the newly constituted board.

How will the nominations committee function, and why are only 2 board members on that committee

In sourcing and recommending the best candidates for the 5 nominated board positions, it is important that a broad range of potential board members be considered. By having the majority of the nominations committee as non-current board members, there is a better chance of attracting a more diverse range of candidates from outside of the club.

The inclusion of one current board member (after the inaugural board has been appointed under the new model) will ensure that the contribution of any existing board members who apply for re-appointment can be taken into account in the nomination committee considerations.

What is the benefit of having specific skills and a diversity of background among board members?

Greater diversity brings greater perspective, which ultimately can assist in an organisation’s growth. It is well established that the broader range of views that are brought to board decision making, the better informed the decisions are likely to be.

If the SANFL is to maintain its relevance to future generations then, for example, having some younger voices on the board would be likely to assist.


Will this make it harder for volunteers to assist the club?

No, on the contrary, the new model will rely substantially on volunteers to contribute meaningfully to the various sub-committees that will be set up to provide guidance and assistance to the board on specific areas of focus.

Why limit the tenure of a board member to a maximum of 4 terms

It is generally conceded that after a certain period of time there is benefit in having fresh ideas and a new way of thinking. After 4 consecutive terms, in most cases a board member will have contributed as much as he or she is going to be able to do.

There is the possibility in exceptional circumstances for board members to serve additional terms





brodlach
brodlach

Number of posts : 305
Registration date : 2013-09-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Notice of special general meeting

Post by whispy on Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:13 pm

I don't know why some members are panicking, that’s a great Q&A released by the club.
whispy
whispy

Number of posts : 87
Registration date : 2014-08-09

Back to top Go down

Re: Notice of special general meeting

Post by brodlach on Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:27 pm

Fear of the unknown or something else
brodlach
brodlach

Number of posts : 305
Registration date : 2013-09-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Notice of special general meeting

Post by RODH2 on Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:01 pm

"Outside of the Election of Officers", no change...... Cute, huh. Rolling Eyes
RODH2
RODH2

Number of posts : 108
Registration date : 2015-03-28

Back to top Go down

Re: Notice of special general meeting

Post by RODH2 on Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:03 pm

Who is actually panicking, Whispy………..? Rolling Eyes
RODH2
RODH2

Number of posts : 108
Registration date : 2015-03-28

Back to top Go down

Re: Notice of special general meeting

Post by whispy on Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:20 am

RODH2 wrote:Who is actually panicking, Whispy………..?  Rolling Eyes

Because your afraid of change, time to get out of the dark ages and try something new.
whispy
whispy

Number of posts : 87
Registration date : 2014-08-09

Back to top Go down

Re: Notice of special general meeting

Post by brodlach on Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:25 am

RODH2 wrote:Who is actually panicking, Whispy………..?  Rolling Eyes
There very are a couple on here
brodlach
brodlach

Number of posts : 305
Registration date : 2013-09-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Notice of special general meeting

Post by Admin on Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:04 am

(In a tired voice).

Back on the subject, please.

Successful clubs don't squabble amongst themselves.
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2015-06-21

Back to top Go down

Re: Notice of special general meeting

Post by Oldfella on Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:52 am

Out of respect for board admin i have deleted comments back to previous posters.

I agree that this is a very good Q&A released by the club but does it answer the 2 base questions being asked by myself and other members? In reading and assessing written information or evidence provided an individual must put aside all personal biases and tunnel vision. Simply put, read and understand what is actually being said or inferred not what you think it says.

Anyone who has had professional life experience in drafting business or political (up to ministerial level) responses knows and understands that in a completely legal and ethical manner the direction of the end response can be either yes or no through the use of such tactics as but not limited to;
1.   Not answering the actual question asked.
2.   Selective omission of facts.
3.   Introduction of material unrelated to original question to divert attention from said original question.

The clubs information states quote "Outside the election of officers the proposed amendments to the Constitution do not change the voting rights of members in anyway" which leads a reader to a conclusion of no change which in fact is not entirely correct.

It is totally correct where it states that "the method of members voting and voting rights has not changed" but in just saying "outside the election of officers" it diverts attention from the fact that members control of the club is significantly reduced from potentially 8/12 to potentially 2/7 member elected board members.

I am pleased that this release and previous releases by the club identifies why the KPMG report/recomendation are valid for the clubs future and why the board endorses them all to members. Its to be noted that i and others with 2 exception support the board on this and have called for the board not to let all of these recomendations to be lost reguardless of the result of the vote Monday night.

But why cannot this be achieved under the present constitution (admittedly with some amendments) and why must member totally lose control where quite reasonably  members control could be reduced from a majority to parity could have been an option. For clarity, the same number of member elected and direct appointed board members.

Why cannot a member elected board member be President -- look at our present and previous Presidents all who are either business owner or principles of successfull businesses who were NOT selected by the members but the board as the best person for the job ---- to limit the board may clearly mean that the best person for the job may actually be exclude ---- is this actually an open door for a ex SANFL executive or a politician to become president.

Nominally it appears that the answers are within the recomendation to reduce the overall number of board member to 7, the increased use of committees to reduce board members work load and enable the board to direct appoint professionals who are concerned about the process of competing for other better known candidates in a general election.

This concern in the final point is in my opinion valid as if, for example,  David Shipway, Paul Spurling or Rob Lucas to name a few were to put thier hand up then clearly one would have to be JC himself to beat them in a members election. Clearly this is an issue that the board MUST address reguardless of the vote.

The KPMG recomendation, accepted by the board, to reduce the board to 7 is in fact IMO deeply flawed IMO as it does not address the likely future.

One example is that clearly in the next couple of years either through SANFL directive (SANFL Equal Pathways Program) or state/federal legislation for equality all sporting clubs will be required to have board members who fit Gender(3 sex now), ethnic or physical impairment guideline and whilst i clearly believe that the board of the time will work hard to appoint a suitably qualified proffessional but is this not at the expense of no positions being available to enable the board to direct appoint professionals who are concerned about the process of competing for other better known candidates in a general election.

More questions on come in the next couple of days

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Life long passionate supporter
Oldfella
Oldfella

Number of posts : 420
Job/hobbies : Retired due to being certified mad
Registration date : 2013-09-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Notice of special general meeting

Post by Hotdip on Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:37 pm

So are people going to accept the vote no matter which way it goes or will there be a witch hunt
Hotdip
Hotdip

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2017-06-14

Back to top Go down

Re: Notice of special general meeting

Post by Oldfella on Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:54 pm

Very good question --- I really do hope there is no witch hunt, recriminations, vendettas or evening up but who knows.

Bit sad if it occurs --- very good question

👍👍👍👍👍👍

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Life long passionate supporter
Oldfella
Oldfella

Number of posts : 420
Job/hobbies : Retired due to being certified mad
Registration date : 2013-09-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Notice of special general meeting

Post by Lee Harradine on Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:49 pm

Whatever way the vote goes, the members' decision will be accepted without question.  There is no place for recriminations or the like in the West Adelaide Football Club.

As merrick said, we are all loyal Bloods supporters. We won't have success if we are divided.


Last edited by Lee Harradine on Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Number of posts : 820
Registration date : 2014-05-24

Back to top Go down

Re: Notice of special general meeting

Post by Hotdip on Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:05 pm

Is the voting a show of hands or a hidden vote as in ballot mode
Hotdip
Hotdip

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2017-06-14

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Back to top


 :: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum