Notice of special general meeting

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Re: Notice of special general meeting

Post by Oldfella on Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:40 am

Hi mate,

Ring the club and they will be more than happy to answer your questions and provide assistance Telephone: (08) 8352 4022

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Life long passionate supporter
Oldfella

Number of posts : 406
Job/hobbies : Retired due to being certified mad
Registration date : 2013-09-25

Back to top Go down

Post by jmc80 on Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:42 am

Good call. Thanks.

It's just easier to pretend I'm working while typing Smile

I'll get on it this afternoon.
jmc80

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2017-04-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella on Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:52 am

LOL i used to have a phone at my ear and talk to the dial tones to look busy

I know the admin staff Friday afternoon tend to get real busy so probably sooner rather than later.

Please if you get a chance could you post the answer because it a very interesting questions you have raised on a subject i have not heard before

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Oldfella

Back to top Go down

Post by jmc80 on Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:20 am

So - yes, my now defunct membership includes voting rights.

You only get something posted in the physical mail if you don't have an email address.

Apparently you get to vote twice. Once for the football club and once for the footballers club. This bit didn't make sense to me but that's what I was told.

So I need 2 copies of each proxy form. One needs to be at the club before Friday (signaling my intention to proxy vote) and then the another copy for the person who I want to vote for me.
jmc80

Back to top Go down

Post by jmc80 on Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:27 am

Seems the footballers club vote is for something a bit different (though tied together in some sense I guess)?

6 page memorandum vs 43 pages.
jmc80

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella on Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:30 am

Thanks mate

Dont forget to indicate on the proxy form how you want that member to vote on your behalf

Glad it was sorted for you --- cudos to club admin staff

Oldfella

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella on Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:13 pm

jmc80 wrote:Seems the footballers club vote is for something a bit different (though tied together in some sense I guess)?

6 page memorandum vs 43 pages.

Good pickup i must have a read

Just for your info. My understanding of the structure of the club (may be wrong others will correct).

In the biggest picture there is the West Adelaide Football Club

The internal operational structure of the WAFC is broken into 2 separate entities from memory the Footballers Club and the Football Club.

I think that the footballers club is the business area of the club such as all money, membership, sponsers and business areas (eg admin, bar and pokies). Whilst the Football Club is focusses on all aspects of the clubs football program ----- the Footballers Club provides funding for the budget of the Football Club ------ may have reversed as i am going from memory.

I was told a fair while ago that this separation within the WAFC related to legislative requirement, taxation requirement and best business practices.

What we have now is the result of much hard good work by all volunteer board members since we adopted the club having a boards rather than committee style of governance and thanks to all thier professional impute i believe we have a very efficient and best practice business structure ------ it is extremely pleasing to me personally that board members are not resting on thier laurels but continually seeking to improve as per present proposed †constitutional change placed before members for consideration on Monday night.

Final point and is right from the grey edge of my poor old memory is that there is a legal requirement that both the Footballers Club and the Football Club have to have a individual separate boards and constitutions however both of the constitutions were amended years ago to allow the one big picture members elected board members to serve as board members for each entity but with separate constitutions etc.

This is why i believe there is two separate proposed constitutional changes for members to consider on Monday night and the size differential reflects the difference in areas of responsiblity between the two entities.

Hope above is clear as mud 😁😁 and if wrong other poster please correct †--- is based on my second childhood memory that is at the stage when i get up to go to toilet †by the time i get there i cannot remeber if i went for a whiz or to wash my hands LOL 😤😤😤😤😤

Oldfella

Back to top Go down

Post by jmc80 on Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:51 pm

Clear as mud Laughing

Thanks for that info though.
jmc80

Back to top Go down

Post by RODH2 on Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:05 pm

So you need to advise the Club by next Friday of your intention to lodge a proxy vote....? Anyone?
RODH2

Number of posts : 103
Registration date : 2015-03-28

Back to top Go down

Post by jmc80 on Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:09 pm

That's what I was told. I think technically it's 48 hours before the vote but they said Friday to be safe.
jmc80

Back to top Go down

Post by Hotdip on Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:48 pm

RODH2 wrote:So you need to advise the Club by next Friday of your intention to lodge a proxy vote....? Anyone?
Don't think it would be by next Friday
Meeting is Monday
Hotdip

Registration date : 2017-06-14

Back to top Go down

Post by jmc80 on Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:54 pm

The last paragraph of the pdf says the proxy form must be received by the club no later than 48 hours before the meeting.

Meeting is 6pm Monday.

48 hours before is 6pm Saturday.

Admin isn't open on Saturday.

Hence "best to get it in on Friday".
jmc80

Back to top Go down

Post by RODH2 on Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:54 pm

Hotdip, the meeting is Monday, 17th, i:e Monday week.
RODH2

Back to top Go down

Post by Hotdip on Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:06 am

Who is the person out there chasing votes
Hotdip

Registration date : 2017-06-14

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Oldfella on Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:26 am

Hotdip wrote:Who is the person out there chasing votes

I know off more than one member on both sides of question who is talking/contacting †fellow members to encourage them to vote and also explaining thier personal position on the vote ---- in fact i am obviously one of them doing this which is †entirely legal so not sure what your actual point is.

Oldfella

Back to top Go down

Post by whispy on Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:34 am

Oldfella wrote:
Hotdip wrote:Who is the person out there chasing votes

I know off more than one member on both sides of question who is talking/contacting †fellow members to encourage them to vote and also explaining thier personal position on the vote ---- in fact i am obviously one of them doing this which is †entirely legal so not sure what your actual point is.

If it is entirely legal to advise members which way to vote..then i suggest voting yes. Smile
whispy

Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2014-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella on Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:17 am

Mate,

As a life member i would willingly fight to protect any finacial members right to encourage other finacial members to vote and also explaining thier personal position on the vote -- reguardless of which way they plan to vote.

Whilst seeing absolutely nothing wrong with your post others including myself have explained thier personal position of why they are encouraging a vote one way or the other to assist others in understanding this complex decision for finacial members on Monday night.

If you wish please feel free to post why you are supporting the YES vote as it is critical that finacial member hear all sides of the arguement --- this site is strongly moderated to ensure poster are not personally attacked or belittled so you will not be personally attacked for expressing your viewpoint but obviously your reason may be discussed by other posters.

Totally up to you if you do or dont

Oldfella

Back to top Go down

Post by TAAARS on Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:18 am

I have to say the Club Board has been very poor in explaining how this will actually be of benefit to the operations of the Club. They merely say they support the the changes to benefit the club overall.
How exactly by making the membership basically mute in any decisions/appointments etc does this make us stronger? To me it devalues being a member so why bother. I get having appointed board members/officials can be an advantage as you can get good smart people making decision in their special area eg finance etc rather than just a good bloke. This is quite normal on most company boards.
However the owners eg shareholders ( in our case members ) vote in an overseeing board of Directors to delegate ,appoint etc these appointed other board members either permanently or on a temporary basis. The Shareholders ( members in our case) who put up the money to buy in still have the power to kick them out if they do not perform. The way I read it we won't have that power in reality.
TAAARS

Number of posts : 141

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella on Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:54 pm

Very good post mate that clearly identifies your point of view but some minor comments based on advice i have had from persons external to the west adelaide football club if i may.

I believe that the board has, within business confidentiality requirements and other considerations , has in fact †put very clear but by necessity short information on why this proposed constitution changes have been placed in front of members. Where member have rung the club seeking further information the club has been very open within the above mentioned limitations.

To me it is clear that this has been identified as being SANFL driven further as identified in the clubs information release that the consultants report resulted from the SANFL contracting KPMG to review practices at all clubs and the board does identify what this report recomends in terms of West Adelaide. SO, it is apparent that this report is the property of the SANFL and i presume given to the various clubs on a †confidential basis hence the board is limited on what it can say.

The SANFL funded and awarded the contract to KPMG and under normal business practices the SANFL would have also set the terms of the review the SANFL would have also recieved a draft of the report and request amendment if the SANFL seen fit †--- from what i understand the West Adelaide Football Club was not involved in any of this and i question if in fact they were allowed to read a draft copy and offer amendment/corrections to the final report. Anyone who has every been involved in contracting external auditors or undertaking external audits know that the outcome and recomendations can be influenced †by the briefing and requested amendments by the contracting organisation

Further, whilst probably not a matter that our board can comment i personally strongly suspect the SANFL OR A PERSON ACTING ON THIER BEHALf in some manner made the board aware that future funding may have conditions attached if the board did not tow the party line. If this is correct then it is the boards obligation to members to take action to attempt to protect future funding to the best of thier abilities.

All of the proposed improvements can be achieved under the present constitution including direct appointing young professional who the board advises that the KPMG REPORTS indicates that they did not want to face election by members ((hmmm with this attitude do they have the right mental strength to serve ona board hmmm). As evidence of what i say in reference to boards right under the present constitution to appoint young professional in fact many may not know that the board did in fact direct appoint a young professional to the board however, very sadly, due to i understand business and family pressure had to offer his resignation.

You are totally correct IMO that this removes finacial members right or powers to control the destiny of our club ------ †THIS IS A DIRECT ATTACK ON MEMBERS CONTROL OF THE CLUB ----- dont be mislead by anyone suggest that there is some members control as they can vote in 2 of the 7 proposed board member as IMO this nothing more than insulting and demeaning lip service to the members.

Oldfella

Back to top Go down

Post by The Axis on Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:25 pm

My thoughts. I am more than happy to be corrected on any assumptions I have made that are incorrect.
A few years ago WAFC on verge of folding due to significant financial stress.
Lots of hard work by volunteers, club people and others have brought things back to a much better state of affairs.
Now a direction has come from somewhere (a commissioned report, SANFL, somewhere else) proposing that all member control be demoted to a minor voice.
Unlike a lot of minorities in our society who have a loud voice, I canít see this being the case with only 2 member elected board reps out of a total of 7 board members if the motion at this forthcoming SGM to be voted gets up.
We have a very good coach, a promising list and improving results on field in the last 2 years. This should with lots of hard work from our playing group (and they are up for it) lead to further progression, better results, (maybe even more members!), and the ultimate success.
But what would it be like if we the members had minimal say on big, important, possibly massive decisions to our club?
I want people with WAFC foremost in there thoughts and passion deciding my clubís, direction,governance and ultimately fate.
Can I be confident that would happen with only 2 out of 7 board members being elected democratically by our membership and neither being able to be President or VP?
My answer is No.
I will attend the meeting and will vote NO to this motion.

Thank you for allowing me my opinion.
The Axis

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2015-05-03

Back to top Go down

Post by RODH2 on Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:54 pm

Well said, The Axis, and also Oldfella. I agree with what The Axis says above. The Board, and the volunteers and workers at West Adelaide have made significant improvements and gains for OUR Club, and I will be voting for that to continue. I hope others will join me, and vote for things to continue as they have been.
RODH2

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella on Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:34 am

Axis and rodh2 thank you both for your posts.

Last edited by Oldfella on Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:34 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling)

Oldfella

Back to top Go down

Post by whispy on Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:01 am

The Axis wrote:My thoughts. I am more than happy to be corrected on any assumptions I have made that are incorrect.
A few years ago WAFC on verge of folding due to significant financial stress.
Lots of hard work by volunteers, club people and others have brought things back to a much better state of affairs.
Now a direction has come from somewhere (a commissioned report, SANFL, somewhere else) proposing that all member control be demoted to a minor voice.
Unlike a lot of minorities in our society who have a loud voice, I canít see this being the case with only 2 member elected board reps out of a total of 7 board members if the motion at this forthcoming SGM to be voted gets up.
We have a very good coach, a promising list and improving results on field in the last 2 years. This should with lots of hard work from our playing group (and they are up for it) lead to further progression, better results, (maybe even more members!), and the ultimate success.
But what would it be like if we the members had minimal say on big, important, possibly massive decisions †to our club?
I want people with WAFC foremost in there thoughts and passion deciding my clubís, direction,governance and ultimately fate.
Can I be confident that would happen with only 2 out of 7 board members being elected democratically by our membership and neither being able to be President or VP?
My answer is No.
I will attend the meeting and will vote NO to this motion.

Thank you for allowing me my opinion.

Well this is going to be interesting to see how members vote.. The Axis, as highlighted in yellow in your comment, you are correct that the club was on it's knees. But who gave us a helping hand to get back up? i believe it was the SANFL. They don't want to see us die off as a club, they are only doing what they think is best going forward. How much longer to we have to wait to say we are no longer in the red? It's been going on for far too long now, always in debt and if the no vote gets the nod, we will always remain in debt. The WAFC cannot go it alone financially. The SANFL will probably cut future advanced payments for us to pay off creditors knocking on the door, it wasn't long ago i was told that Cleanaway was refusing to pick up our bins because we couldn't pay the bill.
Anyway, it's just my opinion, please don't shoot me down for voting in favour of YES. It's about the club's survival is what i care about and if it means losing voting rights then so be it. I can only remember voting once in the last 8 years anyway. Smile
Merry Christmas to you all. santa
whispy

Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2014-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by RODH2 on Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:27 am

Debt is always a part of business, as well as everyday life, whispy, unless you were fortunate enough to pay cash for your house!! I'd prefer dedicated West Adelaide People to run OUR Club, personally . As an ordinary member, it seems hard for me to determine exactly where this push is coming from, seems a bit vague and shadowy, IMHO. Who actually is putting this proposal forward.....?
RODH2

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum