Round 3 v. Centrals

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Go down

Round 3 v. Centrals Empty Round 3 v. Centrals

Post by aldo russian on Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:01 pm

So, taking into account the views expressed about the changes we need to make after the North game, I think we should line up something like this:

F: G. Turner Middleton Bates
HF: Beech Keough Karpany
C; Noble Snelling Willsmore
HB: Schmidt Levicki Batley
B: Dunkin Ryan Hill

R: Parella Stevens Schiller

INT: Fairlie, Pillion, Waite

aldo russian
aldo russian

Number of posts : 676
Registration date : 2013-09-25

Back to top Go down

Round 3 v. Centrals Empty Re: Round 3 v. Centrals

Post by Lachlan on Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:25 pm

My Team

FF G.Turner Middleton Karpany
HF Beech Keough Noble
C Willsmore Snelling Waite
HB Schmidt Levicki Hill
FB Dunkin Ryan Wasley-Black

1stR Parella Stevens Schiller
2ndR Cleeland Fairlie Turner

INT Cleeland Turner Fairlie

In Fairlie Weasley-Black
Out L.Evans J.Evans

I would play Cleeland as the Second ruck for the Structure of the side.
I don’t want Middleton to Ruck, firstly he is our best marking forward and secondly if did play in the Ruck once again we would only have one genuine tall target in Keough which has been an issue for the past 12 months.
Wasley-Black comes back in as he adds greater felxibity ( he can play back,forward or wing)and it means Keough can play Forward with Wasley-Black taking Centrals 3rd tall forward.

I wouldn’t bring back Bates yet, I would give him another run in the ressies.
I would also leave Batley in the ressies this week as I’m concerned about his endurance on a big ground like Elizabeth.
Lachlan
Lachlan

Number of posts : 592

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella on Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:04 pm

West Adelaide recruit Dallas Willsmore has been offered a one-match ban with an early guilty plea for striking North Adelaide midfielder Aidan Tropiano at Prospect Oval on Saturday.
Conduct: Intentional
Impact: Low
Base Sanction: 2 Matches
Early Guilty Plea: 1 Match

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Life long passionate supporter
Oldfella
Oldfella

Number of posts : 524
Job/hobbies : Retired due to being certified mad

Back to top Go down

Post by Lachlan on Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:10 pm

We have a talented midfield, however Snelling,Schmidt,Schiller and at present Willsmore don’t kick goals, Stevens is the exception.

If these players could kick goals it would improve us dramatically. I’m sure they are well aware of this and are endeavouring to add this to their game.
Lachlan
Lachlan

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella on Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:19 pm

Given Willsmore is an apparent out then Fairlie must be a chance.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Life long passionate supporter
Oldfella
Oldfella

Number of posts : 524
Job/hobbies : Retired due to being certified mad

Back to top Go down

Post by Thiele on Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:33 pm

Triple Header. Girls play after the league

2015 PREMIERS. GO BLOODS
Thiele
Thiele

Number of posts : 505

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolfman Jack on Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:35 pm

I agree with Lachlan in that I think Zac Bates needs another couple of weeks in the reserves.
I thought that Aaron Anderson was excellent last week & would like to see him promoted to the league preferably in defence. He would give it some strength & experience & he makes a contest of every loose ball.
I guess that Cleeland has to play as we have no other option.
Does anyone know if Mason is fit as he is really struggling at the moment?
I would like to share your optimism Lee but currently I fear that it is going to be another long season. However would be extremely happy to be proved wrong.
Go you Bloods.
Wolfman Jack
Wolfman Jack

Number of posts : 68
Job/hobbies : Retired
Registration date : 2013-10-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolf Pack on Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:30 pm

Hard to believe it’s only round 3 but our season is on the line.
We won’t play finals if we lose this week. Plain and simple.
Wolf Pack
Wolf Pack

Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2013-09-27

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce cameron on Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:13 pm

Wolf Pack wrote:Hard to believe it’s only round 3 but our season is on the line.
We won’t play finals if we lose this week. Plain and simple.
I hate being pessimistic, but after watching our first two outings I have to agree with Wolf Pack. We are playing the only other team not to have won a game yet and playing them on their own patch. We have some significant problems:
We struggle to kick ten goals
Short passing and excessive use of handball in close lead to several problems:
A concentration of many players in a confined space (high risk of a turnover)
Telegraphing our intent makes it easy for the opposition to read the play (high risk of a turnover)
Slows down ball movement and allows the opposition to get back in numbers making life for our forwards difficult (high risk of a turnover)
We have fallen away in both last quarters (is there a fitness issue?)
We need another couple of talls. North really exposed this weakness. (Where did McPherson go?)
We aren't sticking enough tackles - too often the opposition manages to dispose of the ball effectively.
Although it's only Round 3, lose on Saturday and making the finals will be extremely unlikely. We need to kick enough goals to give us a chance of winning. A few positional changes are in order, namely Keough forward. Wasley-Black could also be tried up forward as another marking option. Surely, Fairlie gets a game and we need Ando back.
A win against Centrals would give us some confidence leading into consecutive home games against the Eagles and Glenelg.
Go you Bloods

bruce cameron
bruce cameron

Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2015-02-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Thiele on Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:48 pm

WEST
West Adelaide has been dealt a defensive blow ahead of its contest against Central on Saturday.
Former Norwood backman Pat Levicki will miss the next 4-6 weeks after injuring his knee in the Round 2 loss to North Adelaide.
The tall defender is joined by fellow recruits Jade Cleeland (back) and Dallas Willsmore (suspension) as being unavailable to face the Bulldogs.
Premiership defender Errin Wasley-Black heads the list of inclusions, which also comprises wingman Nathan Batley, utility Aaron Anderson, Thomas Pillion and Patrick Fairlie.
League
F: G. Turner, Middleton, Karpany
HF: Snelling, Beech, Schmidt
C: Batley, B. Turner, Waite
HB: L. Evans, Wasley-Black, J. Evans
B: Dunkin, Keough, Ryan

R: Parrella, Schiller, Noble
INT: K. Stevens, Anderson, Hill, Fairlie, Pillion
IN: Pillion, Batley, Fairlie, Wasley-Black, Anderson
OUT: Cleeland (back), Levicki (knee), Willsmore (suspended)
Reserves
Hupfeld, R. Stevens, Bates, Inglis, Kirk, Gallaway, Lynch, Heitmann, Johnson, Majok, S. Bentley, Laube, Noonan, Osborn, Morrish, Gutsche, Patterson, May, Moore, J. Bentley, G. Haysman.
Under-18
Jolly, Day, Ebert, Pearce, Brauer, Bailye, Kelly, Fielke, Rundle, Thilthorpe, Wooldridge, Forrest, Chamberlain, Nield, Laudato, Sareen, Henty-Smith, Groom, Bock, Sinderberry, Anderson, Coulthard, Smith, Gilbert, Hannagan.

2015 PREMIERS. GO BLOODS
Thiele
Thiele

Back to top Go down

Post by Thiele on Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:55 pm

Central District has been forced into at least three changes for its must-win clash with West on Saturday.
Key defender Nick Madden (finger), utility Jordan Furnell (hamstring) and promising midfielder Brendan Dew (knee) were all unable to be considered for selection.
Former Norwood backman Ryan Llewellyn is in line to replace Madden while utilities Sam Hanna and Frazer O’Gorman give coach Roy Laird some flexibility.
Goalsneaks Isaya McKenzie and Michael Ortiz could provide some punch inside 50m with Ortiz, set to play his first League game for the club after moving from Port Adelaide in the off-season.
League
F: Menzel, Stephenson, Hanna
HF: Hoskin, D. Pisani, Goodrem
C: Gillard, Jydon Neagle, O’Gorman
HB: J. Schiller, Jenner, Jaxon Neagle
B: Haydon, Fort, Habel

R: Marsh, Presbury, T. Schiller
INT: Auckland, Llewellyn, McKenzie, Ortiz, Weaver
IN: Hanna, Llewellyn, McKeznie, O’Gorman, Ortiz
OUT: Dew (knee), J. Furnell (hamstring), Madden (finger)

2015 PREMIERS. GO BLOODS
Thiele
Thiele

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine on Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:04 pm

Good to see Pat Fairlie set to debut.

I'm confident we can win this.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Number of posts : 960
Registration date : 2014-05-24

Back to top Go down

Post by blacky on Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:38 pm

Very long year ahead
As they say
Same s*** different year
blacky

Number of posts : 130
Registration date : 2011-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolf Pack on Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:44 pm

Serious questions need to be asked of the coach and his tactical ability and game plan.
2 goals in the second half is appalling.
Absolute garbage football.
Wolf Pack
Wolf Pack

Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2013-09-27

Back to top Go down

Post by loppy19 on Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:15 pm

Unfortunately have seen nothing to get excited about in 2019 so far. Terrible style of play, backward and sideways and slow. Poor skills overall, no leadership out there, no forward structure - what a pile of rubbish. We can't tackle either, the amount of time opposition players break through 2-3 west players tackles is disgraceful.
Yet another long season ahead.
loppy19
loppy19

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2013-09-30

Back to top Go down

Post by blackandred on Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:29 pm

The two teams yet to win a game met today but only one of them seemed interested in making a contest.
Centrals shut down Westies with a strong defensive display which included applying pressure all day and some ferocious tackling. We struggled all day to make a clean break.
We were poorly prepared. Partly due to our game plan but also to do with Centrals pressure. We played a short game on a long oval and paid the price. I’m just a grumpy old git but why do we handball as our first reflex? When in a position to kick the ball and with a target in sight just kick the flamin’ ball. It's a big oval - they don’t call it the Ponderosa for nothing! We went backwards, sideways, rarely forward. We had heaps of the ball, in fact we overused it to the point that stats are meaningless with this ‘handball-happy’, short, sideways kicking, chipping, switching the play, waiting for something to happen style of game. And we were slow.
This was very ugly footy to watch between two ordinary teams with heaps of mistakes but Centrals beat us easily in the end. We could only manage 5 goals in a hundred minutes of footy while the Dogs had twice the scoring shots.
Too many of our leaders are letting us down. They know who they are.
Keough did some good things up forward and kicked two goals but how many times was he was caught holding the ball?
Stevens and Schiller tried hard all day. Gibson Turner was creative when he got the ball but the rest were simply terrible. We are now, unofficially, bottom.
Here’s a thought: maybe the club should consider reimbursing members for their petrol money?!!
blackandred
blackandred

Number of posts : 167

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine on Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:53 pm

Pretty well spot on, B & R.  Some real worries with the way we played. We looked very slow and the heads dropped far too early.

I thought our best player was someone who didn't get much of the footy, but beat his man all day & was hard at it and disciplined. Josh Ryan.

Too many turnovers, too many dropped marks, not enough run.  We have too many similar players who don't have the foot skills to make up for a lack of pace.  I thought Pat Fairlie was OK on debut, but I can think of at least 4 changes for next week. Keelan Laube was excellent in the 2's and must come in. Willsmore back, Bates also and maybe Isaac Johnson.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by Lachlan on Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:30 pm

In every game this year including the trials our ball movement from the back half has been far too slow. We don’t seem to want to take a risk, we chip the ball sideways. We don’t have any run from behind the player with the ball. When we kick the ball down the line from slow ball movement we don’t have the talls to take a pack mark.

I’m sure the slow ball movement is not a DIRECTIVE from the coach.

I also thought we lacked intensity when the opposition had the ball,they broke far to many tackles today.

We need a lift from our Key Position Players as they have had little impact on any game this year.

Changes fro next week. Willsmore although he needs to find the footy more. Laube,Anderson and Johnson all good in the ressies.

Last edited by Lachlan on Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Lachlan
Lachlan

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian on Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:59 am

You've got to be made of stern stuff to follow this footy club. You live in hope for six months that the next season will see us improve significantly and compete in the finals and your hope is dashed in a few short weeks. Sometimes I feel like I'm in an abusive relationship.
aldo russian
aldo russian

Back to top Go down

Post by LukeO9 on Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:28 am

As I said last week, the previous season was plagued with a varying standard that nearly equalled most teams, whether good or poor, with a few goals off in most games.
This year hasn't changed, where the same effort put into Port and North would have been more than enough to beat Central.
LukeO9
LukeO9

Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2014-05-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine on Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:20 am

I agree with the prior comments. I was struck with how much more space Central had around the packs and in open play. This comes down to work rate and confidence and we feel down in those areas yesterday.

As for personnel, our full back line is fine, happy with Dunkin, very happy with Josh Ryan. Nobody except Dunkin should kick out, even if it takes ages for him to do it.

Our half backs are serviceable, but we get no run at all. IMO, you have to have a playmaker on one flank at least. We lack talls, we lack pace and we have some unreliable kicks, not a good combination.

I've seen 10 coaches closely and Colville is trying to get a high standard, but took over a bottom side and will need to transition under the handicap of a restricted salary cap and several years of a hopeless junior boundary.

I'm sure he knows our deficiencies and how to overcome them, so I back him in totally.

Having said that, I see the future with making the tough decisions and I'd like to see Laube join Fairlie and Dunkin to become long term players with us, all with good skills and disposal.

You're right, Luke09, there's not a lot of difference between success and failure, but yesterday was an opportunity lost and badly lost.

Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolfman Jack on Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:20 pm

Last season we were a middle of the road side who was very competitive. We only beat very weakened Crows & Port sides plus South & Centrals from memory. By my reckoning we have lost nine players (not all weekly regulars) from 2018 & with our restrictions, our recruiting really was only going to maintain last years level.
Unfortunately our two interstate recruits have had no impact on the two games we have played. Hopefully they will settle in.
What I witnessed yesterday was the ninth & tenth sides playing. Very poor standard from both sides.
Lachlan is so right - there is no run in the side. We mark & then go back & hang onto the ball & then kick to a pack. Why? We are undersized & therefore not a strong overhead marking side. If we do play on, we kick backwards & then backwards again going deeper into our defence & then eventually turn it over. I would rather see a player running through to take  the reflex handball & open up the game. Take the game on, take chances, try & win the game, go through the centre when warranted, get the opposition on the back foot. Stop being defensive & stop hugging the boundary line.
What does Aaron Anderson need to do to get a game? I believe that there are about six players in the league team not up to standard & he is far better than any of those. Aaron was excellent in the reserves against North & even better yesterday. He makes a contest & is hard at the ball, hard at the body & has a good leg. Would be in my side on effort alone.
If we can’t turn our form around, then I think that we may have to promote & persevere with some youngsters.
Wolfman Jack
Wolfman Jack

Number of posts : 68
Job/hobbies : Retired
Registration date : 2013-10-04

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian on Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:05 pm

I wonder if the players' reluctance to take risks is born of a lack of confidence in their disposal. No one wants to be the one to turn it over.
Maybe we need to run and handball more and kick less.
aldo russian
aldo russian

Back to top Go down

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum