West v Eagles

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

West v Eagles - Page 2 Empty Re: West v Eagles

Post by aldo russian on Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:36 pm

We played a lot of very good footy today and were in control for most of the game. In trying to work out why we were able to do that today and not so much in previous weeks - I think our intensity was up and was superior to the Eagles, and I think our disposal was much much better. And I think our disposal was better because we were put under less pressure today, because the Eagles were slower and perhaps not working as hard.

We also seemed to have marking targets when we went forward - Keough, Beech, Middleton, who each gave a strong contest and were rarely outmarked. Gibson Turner kicked 2, should have kicked 4 or 5, and created another couple. A little more composure and he could have been devastating.

Snelling was amazing, and this was the sort of form we've been looking for from him. Noble was again terrific and Waite, as lachlan said, had his best game for the club, despite turning it over several times. His pace and aggressive running was impressive, but he should never pass the ball inboard when in defence. I also really liked Fairlie and Johnson, both of whom have good football brains. And Josh Ryan and Dunkin were also very good. The half-back line needs stiffening though: Laube and Schmidt to go back there I think.

Maybe a few changes for the next game with Schiller and L. Evans doubtful, and I suspect Anderson (who was pretty quiet) might get a tap on the shoulder from the Match Review Panel.
aldo russian
aldo russian

Number of posts : 629
Registration date : 2013-09-25

Back to top Go down

Post by LukeO9 on Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:09 am

Surprised not to read any comment on Parrella's noticeable improvement in every game so far this year.
LukeO9
LukeO9

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2014-05-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine on Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:36 am

A week is a long time. Our game against central was a totally wasted opportunity, but one week we wonder whether we could beat anyone, the next we're up and about. Aldo is right, there was a focus on pressure and hard acts and as a result, the players took that on board and had 102 'one-percenters'. And did it show! I saw quality Eagles players fumbling under only perceived pressure at times and players I usually worry about, such as Boyd and Lewis, were quiet or not damaging.

Josh Ryan is becoming a favourite with me. Absolutely a fringe player until late last year, he's now settled in and we have a full back who won't give his opponent an easy kick. His spoilingt is first class and he's always desperate to beat his opponent, as we saw at central last week. As a result, Hayes wasn't a factor. Big win.

Dunkin was again good. There are still parts of his game that need improvement, but he's only played a few games and is there for the long-term.

The revelation was Murray Waite. It's taken a while, but I think the Recruiting Committee can feel pleased to pluck him from the Murray Bushrangers as a young 'project player' and see his progress. Almost his first touch was a turnover gifting the Eagles their first goal, but it showed courage and maturity to play ashe did after that. A brilliant game, giving us sorely needed pace and line breaking. Great effort, Muzza.

For Luke, yes, Andre was good in the ruck and also did a bit more around the ground. He was an important factor in the dominance of our midfield and for a rare clear win at stoppage clearances. I liked Isaac Johnson, smart player, kicks goals, left footer and someone who looks almost more comfortable at league level than Reserves.

Mason played well and was important, while Jono Beech and Tom Keough were really good up forward. I think it's the best game I've seen from Tom for a while and Beechy was back to his best, with 14 marks and a big work rate. Chris Schmidt was again calm and composed, but really needs to choose the right time to show his aggression, costing us a big turnover at obne stage?

I'm a big Patrick Fairlie fan and he didn't disappoint. A lot of what he does is unobtrusive, but effective at a high efficiency rate. He's not quick, but he think quicker than most and has great vision. That'll do me. As for John Noble, he should be rated far higher than he is by the football public and giving him a run on the ball added pace and smarts.

OK. BOG. Wow. Take a bow, Will, you were magnificent. 43 touches, mostly calm and effective and bringing other players into the game. 3 votes, what can I say?

As for the last quarter, it was 5.0 to 3.0 with us having no bench, with an injured Lachie Evans going back on briefly. To those I haven't mentioned, apologies, everyone played well.

On a personal note, it was nice to be asked to join in the circle for the song.

Across the day and a half, I watched the Under 16's, Under 18's, Women's team*, Reserves and League and loved every minute of it.

* Sponsored by Harradine & Norris-Green, Chartered Accountants, tax, accounting, bookkeeping, SMSF's, etc.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Number of posts : 898
Registration date : 2014-05-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolf Pack on Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:11 pm

Finally, something to smile about😄
It was an excellent performance and I agree with the other posts.
It was good to see some footy that was entertaining with a lot of goals scored.
Big test on Wednesday night against the Bays who are on the rise!
Weíve got a few injuries and some sore players...
Wolf Pack
Wolf Pack

Number of posts : 326
Registration date : 2013-09-27

Back to top Go down

Post by blackandred on Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:57 pm

Itís pretty much all been said but hereís my 2 bobís worth.
Congratulations to all concerned, players and coaching staff for this comprehensive win, the first against the Eagles since out 2015 premiership. Final score 18.8 to 11.13.
Considering that last week we kicked 5 for the match this week our Q by Q scores were 5, 3, 7 and 3 and we ran out 37 pt winners over the highly fancied Eagles.
Schiller did his shoulder but was up and about later with his arm in a sling.
Will Snelling was BOG by a street. In everything he dominated the centre and picked up over 40 possessions. Beech booted 4 but we had 11 goalkickers in an even team effort. We delivered the ball long into the forward line and put great pressure on the Eagles through terrific tackling forcing them into uncharacteristic error. Special mention to Parella for his ruckwork and to Dunkin who continues to impress with his impeccable disposal and his defensive pressure.
Laube and Batley dropped out and Anderson and Johnson played with both making an impact.
Worth noting is the lack of discipline from experienced players like Schmidt and Wasley-Black and this needs to be dealt with.
The 2s ran out easy winners with a dominant display winning 13.15 to 5.11.
blackandred
blackandred

Number of posts : 158
Registration date : 2013-09-25

Back to top Go down

Post by cuban on Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:12 am

Wow, what a difference it makes when our kicks and handballs hit their targets, and we play fast attacking footy rather than kicking backwards and sideways!
That was one of most pleasurable games I have seen Westies play in a long time. I can't even remember the last time I have seen our forwards leading to space and our guys hitting them on the chest. They played with confidence and faith in their team mates.
Not much to criticise this week. Handballs could be a bit better. The eagles kicked 5 in the last quarter because we played more defensively but I can understand since we were down on fit players.
I also think our ruck work could do with a bit of tweaking - after the first horrible game against port, Andre looks like becoming a dominant ruckman. Even though we won the centre clearances, there were still quite a few taps Andre did that didn't go to our advantage - if they did we would have smashed the eagles even more! I would love to see him smash it forward a few times with our guys running on to it and kicking to a leading forward!
I am also very impressed with the youngsters - I haven't seen so much young potential and talent coming into the league team before! That one on one that Elliot (or it could have been Isaac) won in the last quarter was fantastic - probably saved us a goal - he was behind his eagles opponent but still won the ball and cleared defence.
I hope we can play like this for the rest of the year - if so we are going to be hard to beat!
cuban
cuban

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2017-08-23

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeme on Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:36 am

Lee Harradine wrote:Be aware that after years of sitting in the grandstand free, the northern (Westies) end of the Stand will know cost $5., unless you're a Westonian. †If you don't pay,, you have to sit with the opposition fans at the other end.

Why would a club charge $5 for a West Adelaide supporter to sit in the stands yet let the opposition supporters sit in the same stand for "FREE".

Sat in said stand on Friday and to say the number of Westonians that sat in the stand in that area was little if any. dosn't make sense to me, but then again I am just a supporter.

Go The Bloods.
mikeme
mikeme

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2017-03-27

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce cameron on Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:43 am

Lee Harradine wrote:Be aware that after years of sitting in the grandstand free, the northern (Westies) end of the Stand will know cost $5., unless you're a Westonian. †If you don't pay,, you have to sit with the opposition fans at the other end.

Yes, I was perplexed by this decision, particularly since no official notification was given, only Lee's post on the forum. This should have been sorted at the start of the season, allowing supporters to choose whether to pay for a seat or not. To allow opposition supporters free grandstand access is rubbish. The only time I have been able to sit in the grandstand at an opposition's ground is when I have paid.
'After years of sitting in the grandstand free ...' I have paid the extra $30 with my membership each year to secure a reserved seat.
If the club is serious about this then a half arsed approach is not going to work. The club needs to be quite clear about:
Is this to further develop an income stream or create an exclusive area?
Exactly who is required to pay (should a past player (and his mates) be entitled to free access?)
Until it becomes understood by all concerned, a person of some authority needs to be on duty. The chap that was on duty disappeared after a while. I was stretching my legs near the steps and two people attempted to pay me. In the past we have had kids attempting to collect money. Many people brushed straight past.
Why are opposition supporters sitting in our stand free of charge? I noticed at Unley (2017?) they had a container for a $2 donation. At Alberton I was required to pay $5 to get out of the rain.
As far as I know it's always been $5, but over the years the club has been inconsistent in collecting it.

bruce cameron
bruce cameron

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2015-02-12

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum