West vs Glenelg 24th April Round 5

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

West vs Glenelg 24th April Round 5 - Page 2 Empty Re: West vs Glenelg 24th April Round 5

Post by Lee Harradine on Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:07 am

Our best football is as good as any. †I think it needs to be said we have a fitness problem. Not only have we not won a last quarter this year, but I don't think we've won a game in the first 2 rounds since 2015. We were noted that year for our fitness and last quarters. There are reasons for this I'll be covering in my book. †(free plug).

I think the turning point of the game was the bad missed shot for an open goal in the 3rd quarter when we were playing well. It would have put us up by over 4 goals, with momentum. Inevitably the Bays goaled soon after and they lifted.

We led by 14 points at 3/4 time, but I think many of us weren't confident and that was borne out. †I think the game was gone before the bad turnover in the last quarter.

Murray Waite was brilliant at times and his pace is a huge asset. †John Noble also gives us speed and we need Hugh Haysman to add to that. †Jack Avostino will come back in also. †Batley was good in the reserves.

We're not far off, but the season is slipping away also.

The makings of a good team for the future is there, with Dunkin, Noble, Waite, Laube and Fairlie all coming to the fore. †Willsmore was excellent, but faded with everyone else.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Number of posts : 898
Registration date : 2014-05-24

Back to top Go down

West vs Glenelg 24th April Round 5 - Page 2 Empty Re: West vs Glenelg 24th April Round 5

Post by aldo russian on Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:11 pm

If there is a fitness problem then we should be looking into why. This is a fundamental; we should be able to assume that we are at least as fit as the rest of the competition. Lee, as the former President, whose responsibility would it be to look into why this has happened?
Lots of little things at the club are suggesting to me that standards are slipping: If we can't run a barbecue, write an article for the website that isn't riddled with mistakes or put out a team of fit players, it's little wonder we're staring at yet another wooden spoon.
aldo russian
aldo russian

Number of posts : 629
Registration date : 2013-09-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine on Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:23 pm

Whether we have a fitness problem is only my opinion, Aldo, but it's an opinion I've had for years. The responsibility for appointing fitness coaches effectively rests with coaches' recommendations, but is ratified by the Football Committee and is constrained by budgeting and availability of the right people. Again, fitness often comes down to the individual player & we have good people running the program, so it's an area with a lot of variables.

No doubt the Football Director and Committee will review it after the season.

As for the website, I too shudder at the constant mangling of the English language. I asked for this to be fixed on several occasions,but it doesn't seem to be a priority. I would like to think we should get the little things right, but perhaps there aren't enough resources available. The website is now much better, so credit is due, but fixing it would make it so much better.

On and off field we should be striving for the highest standards.

I know Gavin asks that of the players and staff. I think success at West goes in cycles. Not much left of our 2015 team, but we're building the foundations of a good team again. I fought for refusing SANFL money so that we could have a full salary cap, but was pretty much a lone voice.

I'll be at Richmond Sunday to watch our Under 16's win.

Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Number of posts : 898
Registration date : 2014-05-24

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce cameron on Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:36 pm

[quote="blackandred"]We really only won one Q on the night. We did well to hold the Bays to 2 goals at half time but our ferocious tackling was starting to take itís toll on players like Stevens and Snelling who were doing the bulk of the work.

That's what it looked like to me, but the same thing has happened each week so far, so it's logical to question our overall fitness level. Not having Josh's contribution meant that the hard bullocking work had to be shared by fewer players.

I agree with Cuban - There is a pattern here that I think is so obvious and I'm sure I'm not the only person that sees it. When we play fast attacking footy - we kick goals. When we start kicking backwards and sideways - especially in defence - we almost always turn the ball over and get goals kicked against us. It happens so consistently it drives me crazy! (Quote)

Again, we failed to kick 10 goals. We dominated the 1st quarter and should have had a much greater lead. The way we played in this quarter is the way to kick a winning score. It is counter productive to shift players into defence as a knee jerk reaction. Keough should play forward and stay in that half of the ground. A team which has a lead and keeps scoring is not often beaten. It makes it very difficult for opposition teams to get on a roll. Our indirect football in defence results in turnovers and goals to the opposition. eg Keough's inboard pass in the last quarter yesterday and Willsmore's attempted pass to Schmidt against North Adelaide. Neither were under pressure and both resulted in goals. The regular chains of short handball to stationary players who end up getting in each other's way cause more turnovers than they do create opportunities. We don't get enough players on the outside. Even our longer handballs are too often aimed at stationary players. They might be in space, but the ball takes too long to get there by which time an opposing player has had enough time to arrive and spoil/tackle.

We're not far off, but the season is slipping away also.
The makings of a good team for the future is there, with Dunkin, Noble, Waite, Laube and Fairlie all coming to the fore. (Quote)

True, but the we only have a mathamatical chance of making the five. The reality is we will not improve on last year's effort and may even fall well short of that. The good news is, we have found some home grown talent which looks like making the grade, but they are probably still a season or two away from their best. We desperately need a few players of size for overall balance. This would also allow us to drop talls when they aren't performing. Mason is struggling to get into games and has had only 43 possessions in five games, one more than Snelling got last week. To me, Mason is a more reliable mark in defence and has played some great quarters when cast in this role.

Lots of little things at the club are suggesting to me that standards are slipping: If we can't run a barbecue, write an article for the website that isn't riddled with mistakes or put out a team of fit players, it's little wonder we're staring at yet another wooden spoon.(Quote)

I don't visit the barbecue, but after years of satisfactory service in the bar/bistro I've had to complain twice in the past two weeks. We haven't heard much from the new board about any new innovations or strategies, other than the astute decision to reduce reception hours from 9-5 to 11-3. I'm sure this new time will be convenient for all.

I think the turning point of the game was the bad missed shot for an open goal in the 3rd quarter when we were playing well. It would have put us up by over 4 goals, with momentum. Inevitably the Bays goaled soon after and they lifted.
We led by 14 points at 3/4 time, but I think many of us weren't confident and that was borne out. I think the game was gone before the bad turnover in the last quarter. (Quote)
Couldn't agree more Lee. The 3rd quarter miss was very damaging and the 3/4 time siren sounding 2 seconds too soon just rubbed salt into the wound. There would not have been many confident Westies' supporters at 3/4 quarter time. Even though we were still in front, we had only won the first quarter.

I don't think the players' endeavour can be questioned, most seem to put in 100% each week. The problems lay elsewhere, shortage of talls, game plan, fitness?, lack of discipline (in some cases)
Last night was particularly disappointing as we followed up last week's success with a very good first quarter. Two of our next three games are against form sides South and Norwood, both away. It will be interesting to see how we react after last night's loss.
Go the Bloods

bruce cameron
bruce cameron

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2015-02-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Lachlan on Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:10 pm

We do have a nucleus of a good side in time. Itís great players such Laube,Dunkin, Fairlie, Waite, are all doing good things at league level.
Players like Ryan,Noble Haysman,Snelling,Agostino are also young and will be long term players for the club.
We have a young side with only Schmidt and Hill over 30.

What we lack is two strong quality Key Position Players and we need to recruit these players for next year. We also need a big bodied midfielder with pace and who can kick.

I have watched every Ressies game and a young player Cooper Patterson the son of Paul (Mirrors) Patterson is developing nicely. He is only 19,but there is talent there. Heís big and strong already and in time he is the type of Key Position player we need.
Lachlan
Lachlan

Number of posts : 543

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian on Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:48 pm

I'd also add that despite all of the above, if Stevens had kicked his goal, if Keough had kicked the two he missed, if Wasley-Black hadn't fumbled badly on the goal line, if Keough's mark in the goalsquare, which looked fair to me, had been allowed, and if Hill's shot which looked like a goal to me hadn't been ruled touched, we would have been 6 goals better off before we even take into account the pretty horrible run we got from the umpires.
aldo russian
aldo russian

Number of posts : 629

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum