West v Sturt

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Go down

West v Sturt  Empty West v Sturt

Post by Thiele on Thu May 16, 2019 6:47 pm

WEST
West Adelaide has swung the changes ahead of its match against Sturt on Friday night.
Premiership captain Chris Schmidt will miss at least six weeks after injuring his knee against South in Round 6 while defender Lachlan Evans and forward Mason Middleton have been dropped to the Reserves.
Former Redleg Lyndon Hupfeld will be given an opportunity to fill Middletonís absence while former Richmond rookie Gibson Turner returns to provide a spark inside 50m.
Journeyman Nigel Osborn will get his richly deserved Statewide Super League debut after being named on the wing.
The 28-year-old has played in various locations including the CMS Crows and Mallala while also representing the SA Country team on multiple occasions.
Key utility Chol Majok and speedster Murray Waite have also been named in the 23-man squad.

League
F: G. Turner, Beech, Wasley-Black
HF: Noble, Hupfeld, Karpany
C: Johnson, Snelling, Osborn
HB: P. Fairlie, Keough, Willsmore
B: Hill, Ryan, Dunkin

R: Parrella, H. Haysman, K. Stevens
INT: Waite, B. Turner, Majok, Batley, J. Evans
IN: Hupfeld, Waite, Osborn, G. Turner, Majok
OUT: Schmidt (knee), Middleton, L. Evans
Reserves
Cleeland, Middleton, Anderson, Pillion, Inglis, Kirk, Gallaway, Lynch, Heitmann, L. Evans, Caruso, Laube, Noonan, Morrish, Gutsche, Rana, C. Fairlie, May, Moore, J. Bentley, G. Haysman.
Under-18
Jolly, Ebert, OíConnor-Dawkins, Brauer, J. Westley, Iuliano, Stakic, Bailye, Rundle, Heitmann, Wooldridge, Morelli, Van den Berg, Nunan, Chamberlain, Nield, Laudato, Gilbert, Sareen, Henty-Smith, Groom, Pederick, Sinderberry, Anderson, Talbot, Boughen.

STURT
Sturt has called upon a developing key defender for its contest against West on Friday night.
Hahndorf FC product Luke Edmonds will play his first Statewide Super League game since last yearís First Semi-Final, the his fourth game in succession after making his debut in Round 18.
Edmonds has been joined in the Double Bluesí 23-man squad by possible RAA Rookie Mihail Lochowiak and premiership forward Ben Hansen, who has overcome a shoulder complaint.
Medium defender Henry Carey couldnít be considered after injuring his hamstring at training on Monday night.
League
F: J. Hone, Sutcliffe, Riley
HF: M. Evans, Patullo, Battersby
C: Slimming, Colquhoun, Crocker
HB: Harms, Stephens, Sumner
B: F. Evans, Edmonds, Coomblas

R: Fahey-Sparks, Kirkwood, Pearce
INT: Hansen, Lochowiak, Condon, Greenslade, Munn
IN: Edmonds, Lochowiak, Hansen
OUT: Carey (hamstring)

Reserves
McEntee, Allan, Samblich, Penfold, Shute, Stuart, Week, Parker-Boers, Illman, Thornton, Burrows, Trenorden, Wills, Gilfoy, Laycock, Voigt, Voss, Grivell, Mitchell, Thiele, Richards.
Under-18
F: Howe, Ferres, J. Ferrari
HF: Henke, Durack, Crane
C: Laycock, Harradine, Holland
HB: Grieve, Matteucci, Z. Grivell
B: Berry, Paddick, Britten-Jones
R: Zevenboom, Fahey, Evans
INT: Bates, May, Starr, Z. Parker-Boers
EMG: Smith, Opperman, Swiderski

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
2015 PREMIERS. GO BLOODS
Thiele
Thiele

Number of posts : 481
Registration date : 2013-09-25

Back to top Go down

West v Sturt  Empty Re: West v Sturt

Post by blackandred on Thu May 16, 2019 9:50 pm

Those of you with more important ways of spending your time may be interested in our last Q efforts for the first 6 rounds of the season to date: we have scored a total of 10.10 in the last Q of first 6 games while 28.19 has been scored against us!
blackandred
blackandred

Number of posts : 158

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian on Thu May 16, 2019 10:21 pm

So we've been outscored by an average of 3 goals per last quarter. Therefore all we need to do is be about four goals up at 3/4 time.

Middleton being dropped is perfectly defensible, but is certainly making a statement. Looks like we're bringing some size into the side, which we do need. I think the coaching staff have been more patient with some players than the supporters would have been.
aldo russian
aldo russian

Number of posts : 629

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian on Fri May 17, 2019 10:27 pm

Despite not losing the final quarter it was a similar pattern again tonight: start well, the opposition react and win back momentum and gradually our skills and pressure fall away. Whatever else it is, fitness is clearly part of the problem. It's very easy to predict how the game is going to go when you follow us.

Snelling was terrific all night, Beech was mighty up forward, Dunkin was very good. Ryan is our only effective tall defender.

We simply didn't have enough A graders out there tonight. I would encourage the coaching staff to select fewer underperforming players who are supposedly 'ready' for
League footy, and more players with a future who supposedly aren't ready. What we need now is a sense of hope, not more of the same.

aldo russian
aldo russian

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolf Pack on Fri May 17, 2019 11:46 pm

Cannot question the effort from the boys tonight.
Agree with previous post ( Snelling was our best and had 15 tackles)
I donít think fitness is the reason we are 1 win and six losses.
Our skill level at times is horrible and we turn the ball over more than any other side in the comp. Why are our skills so poor?
Why is the opposition able to move the ball from one end of the ground to the other with minimal pressure from our guys?
We donít have a big key forward (too much asked of Beechy every week)
We have a handful of players that are not up to SANFL standard.
As a supporter, you want to see improvement but we have gone backwards this year.
We won 8 games last year.
We wonít get anywhere near 8 wins this year.
How can a club win a flag, and then be so bad for the next 4 seasons?
For the record since our flag:
16 Wins
45 Losses
There are several players that have been at the club for a number of seasons, but their football has not improved and in some cases has gotten worse.
Whose fault is that?

Wolf Pack
Wolf Pack

Number of posts : 326
Registration date : 2013-09-27

Back to top Go down

Post by loppy19 on Sat May 18, 2019 7:11 am

Itís just sad watching Westies every week, we hurt ourselves more than the opposition most of the time. Skills are non existent and the difference in hitting targets was noticeable all game. We look about half a team short against most other clubs and there is no improvement from rd 1. Agree with comment that some players appear to have gone backwards.
Pretty much write yet another season off and hope the next is the 1 in 15 years that we get it right....until it all falls apart the next.
Getting harder to stay interested I have to say.
loppy19
loppy19

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2013-09-30

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian on Sat May 18, 2019 8:00 am

Wolf Pack wrote:
There are several players that have been at the club for a number of seasons, but their football has not improved and in some cases has gotten worse.
Whose fault is that?

If we're happy to keep them at the club and keep picking them then it's our fault.
aldo russian
aldo russian

Back to top Go down

Post by TAAARS on Sat May 18, 2019 9:42 am

Why as a kid all those decades ago did I become a West supporter? This club just breaks your heart.
Every year we are told how well we have recruited and every year (almost) we fail to achieve on the field. We supporters/members just accept it. We have a meeting called to change the board forever to an "appointed board" because things will be so much more professional and successful without members input to it and few turn up to vote or express their opinion on the change. We have got what we deserve.
The reason Norwood, Central,Port have more success than us is because their members do not accept it and show more interest in their club. They are rarely down for long unlike us who are rarely up.
I agree with other posters. Last night was pathetic. Our 50 meter forward arc may have well been a 10 meter concrete wall the ball bounced back so much, not that last night was any different to any other night. Beechy battled hard with few opportunities. How many would he kick with the ball delivered to him? We don't seem to have any forward method/structure/plan call it what you want.
Our defense seems competitive at least but the further you move up field the worse it gets. I don't think it is the coaching or fitness just lack of talented players as observed by others.
We will be lucky to win 4 games this year. Is that acceptable?
TAAARS
TAAARS

Number of posts : 151

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine on Sat May 18, 2019 12:29 pm

TAARS, you are correct about the members and the 'appointed' Board. † To try to put football ahead of business was almost impossible and several Board members paid the price for it. †Some were spat out with no reason and with barely a thank you after years of dedication, while one or two of the most disloyal remain. I exclude the new members, who deserve a clean slate.

IMO, as long as the Club kowtows to the SANFL for money before football, we will continue to struggle. †Don't blame the Coach, he's given less than a full side due to the salary cap restrictions which I and one or two others fought against, but had little support.

The best thing supporters can do is to find a good candidate at the next AGM as a true members' rep, not someone with their own ambitions.

I have kept quiet until now, but my priority was football and that wasn't popular, hence the machinations to appoint a business Board from inside and outside the Club.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Number of posts : 898
Registration date : 2014-05-24

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce cameron on Sat May 18, 2019 2:20 pm

Lee Harradine wrote:TAARS, you are correct about the members and the 'appointed' Board. † To try to put football ahead of business was almost impossible and several Board members paid the price for it. †Some were spat out with no reason and with barely a thank you after years of dedication, while one or two of the most disloyal remain. I exclude the new members, who deserve a clean slate.

IMO, as long as the Club kowtows to the SANFL for money before football, we will continue to struggle. †Don't blame the Coach, he's given less than a full side due to the salary cap restrictions which I and one or two others fought against, but had little support.

The best thing supporters can do is to find a good candidate at the next AGM as a true members' rep, not someone with their own ambitions.

I have kept quiet until now, but my priority was football and that wasn't popular, hence the machinations to appoint a business Board from inside and outside the Club.

Thank you Lee for putting that out there. Although those members who attended the 'vote to change the constitution' should have been able to work this out for themselves, it is nice to have a post to clear things up. The whole argument for needing to change the constitution was 'b******t' from the beginning. Any of the new board members could have stood for election. The reason given for them not wanting to was ridiculous.
Murray's recent message to members and supporters came almost immediately after a forum post which pointed out that members/supporters had not heard anything from the new board for a while. The previous post from the board came soon after a poster was critical of the board for not keeping members/supporters informed. A problem with the two posts so far is that they lack detail. Statements such as:

Many hours each week are spent by individual board members, working on projects and activities that drive our club.
(Can we know what these projects are?)

The board has a formal meeting every month to resolve important issues for the club, and to make sure that each director is focussed on achieving the goals set for every pillar of the organisation
(How can we access the minutes of these meetings?)

Ben works closely with your Board of Directors every day to make sure that our great club thrives and prospers. Together I know that we are on a positive course towards success well into the future. (Quote)
(Can we know how this is being achieved?)

I look forward to catching up with many of you in the weeks ahead.
(Will you catch up with us or do we need to catch up with you?)

I for one would like a few specifics. What evidence is there that these claims are true? As I mentioned in a previous post, Gavin's post each week is a direct address to members and supporters. He explains as best he can why we aren't being successful and what he hopes to do about it. At the moment it's not very reassuring, but he takes responsibility for the club's on field performance and keeps us informed. He has a very difficult job.

Murray also appealed to supporters for help:

One of our biggest challenges is to ensure that we continue to remain financially sound. We need to increase the clubís revenue streams so we can invest in our future. So I ask all members and supporters to think about how you can contribute. It might be to pop in to the bistro for lunch or dinner instead of spending money at a cafť or restaurant somewhere else. It might be to arrange a family celebration at the club venue, rather than going elsewhere. Or it might be to buy some Bloods merchandise as a gift for a friend or relative. Every little bit will help. (Quote)

(What strategies are being put into place to make this happen?)

So far I don't see any evidence of innovation from the new board. Appealing to members to spend more money at the club, enforcing the $5 entry to sit in the stand and cutting the hours that reception is open are hardly going to turn our financial situation around. I certainly don't have the answers, but then again I don't have an advanced skill set to offer. At the very least, the new board needs to be keeping supporters informed.

Last edited by bruce cameron on Mon May 20, 2019 10:10 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : make questions stand out more)
bruce cameron
bruce cameron

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2015-02-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Lachlan on Sat May 18, 2019 4:01 pm

We have a number of injuries to league players, however when they were playing we didnít win anyway.
We simply donít have enough quality league players at the club.

We should be blooding some young players like Rana, and Morrish.
To play Majok and Osborn to me was a mistake, they are not league players and they are 29 and 28 respectively.

I have stated for years we need another Key Forward other than Middleton, however we have been unable to recruit one. By the way Middleton didnít play in the ressies last night.

We lack quality key position players and a strong bodied midfielder.

I went to the after match Presentations last night and the Coach was scathing, he said our ball use was poor among other things.

Iím not sure when we will win our next game.

Recruiting for next year needs to start now and there needs to be action taken by the board a and the Football dept to bring some quality players to the club. WE CANNOT ACCEPT ANY EXCUSES FOR RECRUITING NEXT YEAR.
Lachlan
Lachlan

Number of posts : 543

Back to top Go down

Post by TAAARS on Sun May 19, 2019 5:01 pm

Lee, as you will recall at that meeting I was one of a few members that spoke against the change to the constitution. To me it defeats the point of even attending any further meetings let alone anyone standing for the committee as a members rep. What a waste of time that would be a mere voice in the wilderness. My side lost the vote. I accept that,it is how it will be in the future.
That said I think the next 5 years or so the club will battle on as the "appointed board" are still Westies people.
My concern is 10 years and beyond. Unless we get on field success our members/supporters will fall away even more and and so too our revenue. Once that happens and the SANFL are called upon to keep bailing us out financially we are in real trouble. The SANFL will want their people on the board and not being West people will look at the hard realities of life, pull the financial help and /or either force us to merge or close down all together.
Those that think we can just go back to our old board setup,well, good luck with that.
We got a mere 200 people bother to turn up to the last meeting. With a board holding all the cards and feeding information to the members as they please we would have next to no chance ever winning a vote to change the constitution back again.
The other thing I spoke of at that meeting was my view that the clubs President should always be elected by the members. Even if he did not hold any executive powers such as the Governor General for example. The clubs President who ever it may be, in my view is the clubs spokes person/cheer leader. How ridiculous would it be in some time in the future to have an appointed President from another club or not a football person at all? Just because he has the right connections at the SANFL or a financial lender and a good speaker?
My own view is we will all rue the day that decision was made on our constitution .
On a personal note Ken Eustice came up to be shortly after shook my hand and thanked me for my input and said someone had to say it. Coming from a club legend I will wear that as a badge of honour.
TAAARS
TAAARS

Number of posts : 151

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce cameron on Sun May 19, 2019 5:19 pm

TAAARS wrote:
We got a mere 200 people bother to turn up to the last meeting. With a board holding all the cards and feeding information to the members as they please we would have next to no chance ever winning a vote to change the constitution back again.
On a personal note Ken Eustice came up to be shortly after shook my hand and thanked me for my input and said someone had to say it. Coming from a club legend I will wear that as a badge of honour.

Good post TAAARS.
Yes, it was extremely disappointing that so few turned up for such an important vote. Given that a 75% majority was needed (I think) to get the constitution changed, surley it would have been defeated had a greater number of members voted. I sincerely hope that the new board delivers on its promises because there isn't much members will be able to do about it if it doesn't.
bruce cameron
bruce cameron

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella on Sun May 19, 2019 7:53 pm

TAARS,

for what its worth i was bloody proud of you and i too tried to speak up as you know --- i too was hunted down by a couple of legends its just a shame that club legends did not speak up during or before the meeting.

BUT NOW - totally agree with you that all that is done and we must move forward - it is what it is and we cannot change it. I feel the †various concerns including potential action in 10 years time expressed by yourself and other is very valid.

Bruce Cameron,
Well said in your posts also.

After the election i gave my personal promise that i would support the club and board in the new format and i will stick to that and encourage all members to give their full support to the club.

I have on several occasions since that time spoken to the club and expressed strongly that the new president and board must develop strong and regular communication with the membership but seems that is not the plan.

If it is too early to advise members of any proposed changes or negotiations are in a delicate stage then silence is understandable but there should still be communication with members that things are happening --- the present silence is deafening to me

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Life long passionate supporter
Oldfella
Oldfella

Number of posts : 470
Job/hobbies : Retired due to being certified mad

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeme on Mon May 20, 2019 9:34 am

Last few Posters,

It would not matter at the moment how the board is structured, our football team is struggling.

We can show that we can play good football at times and it is up to Gavin to find out how we can play it at a more consistent level. Gavin is working his butt off to try and change the results and I am confident that he will get us to a better level soon.

I for one would love to see a better representation from the board in the club after games in among the supporters to help put out the fires and not be so inconspicuous. The Joe Regular that attends the club day after day , week after week still would not know most of the new board if they bumped into them at the club. The Board need to be Louder and Prouder than the rest of us to show that they care, at the moment what we see is silence.
mikeme
mikeme

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2017-03-27

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce cameron on Mon May 20, 2019 10:02 am

Oldfella wrote:TAARS,

I have on several occasions since that time spoken to the club and expressed strongly that the new president and board must develop strong and regular communication with the membership but seems that is not the plan.

If it is too early to advise members of any proposed changes or negotiations are in a delicate stage then silence is understandable but there should still be communication with members that things are happening --- the present silence is deafening to me

Excellent points Oldfella. Whether a member voted for the change to the constitution or not, it would be counter-productive not to support the new board, however communication is paramount. If it is too early to reveal details of some plans then that is understandable, but that doesn't excuse a total lack of communication. Members and supporters have a right to be kept informed and just because the right to vote in members of the board has been taken away, shouldn't mean that members can't be consulted. Maybe, directors and committee members could mingle with the rank and file on game day. This might be surprisingly productive.
I filled out a survey earlier in the year which sought information from members and supporters. This was very similar, if not identical to one I filled out a season or two ago. Were the results ever published? How did the board use this information? Again, this comes down to communication.

bruce cameron
bruce cameron

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolfman Jack on Mon May 20, 2019 10:24 pm

Some great comments.
In my opinion we are short on personnel & Gavin is getting the best out what we have. We have a half a dozen players who arenít up to league standard & what we have we lack in height & overhead marking power & body strength.
Our endeavour canít be questioned.
Injuries are just a weak excuse. In all my years of following footy, every club every season has injuries - the good clubs keep on winning despite them.
Iíll be there each week supporting the boys.
Wolfman Jack
Wolfman Jack

Number of posts : 58
Job/hobbies : Retired
Registration date : 2013-10-04

Back to top Go down

Post by blackandred Today at 10:02 am

Much has been written since the Sturt game on why we lost. Reasons range from poor recruiting to the performance of the board. All valid observations.

But for the first time this year we outscored our opposition in the last Q. OK, it was only by 2 pts but thatís a start. By doing so we have, possibly, put behind us the issue of fitness. We ran the game out well and our determination, work ethic and endeavour were beyond question. These things kept us in the contest. We got to within 12 points of Sturt in the last and a win was there for the taking if we were good enough.

So why didnít we win? The main reason, in the opinion of this supporter, was that our skill levels are so poor. The skills/execution/decision making elements of our game, week in week out, are, simply, dreadful. And, with the exception of Jonno Beech, it is our senior players that are the main culprits. Some can kick the ball higher than they can long!

So why do teams like Sturt and Norwood have far superior skill levels? Is it their recruitment standards, junior development, training drills, number of ex AFL players, etc?
Why does 8 gamer Elliot Dunkin kick the ball far better than players who have played around 100 games?
What can be done to improve this aspect of our game?
Would a skills coach help? Do we have one already?
Iím sure weekly training sessions concentrate on this area but still no great improvement over time.
Plenty of questions but no answers.
We seem to have been talking about this for the last 3 years but little has changed.
blackandred
blackandred

Number of posts : 158

Back to top Go down

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum