Recruiting/Responsible.

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Go down

Recruiting/Responsible. Empty Recruiting/Responsible.

Post by Lachlan on Sun May 19, 2019 12:51 pm

We need to start talking to potential Recruits now.

Who is responsible for this? Who at the club is going to take ownership?

What is the new Board doing about this? Do we have a Full Salary Cap for next year?

As a Football club we need to start WINNING and therefore we need to be Proactive when it comes to recruiting.

We only have 2 full time employees at the Club surely they can’t be held responsible for Recruiting.

I’m a Silver Member who has also Donated to the club over the past few years and it’s time we signed Players that are going to make a difference to our Performance.

I WANT THE NEW BAORD TO TELL THE MEMBERS WHAT THEY ARE DOING REGARDING RECRUITING FOR NEXT YEAR.
Lachlan
Lachlan

Number of posts : 610
Registration date : 2013-09-25

Back to top Go down

Recruiting/Responsible. Empty Re: Recruiting/Responsible.

Post by Lee Harradine on Sun May 19, 2019 2:03 pm

Some good points, Lachlan.  One point that should be considered is whether players who aren't performing should be paid as much as they are. Is it time to draw a line on payments and free up space?  Not easy, but some people don't want change or hard decisions. I know the Coach is prepared to do so.

Disappointing that there are fewer football people involved now.

I will reply in more detail soon about recruiting.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Number of posts : 1006
Registration date : 2014-05-24

Back to top Go down

Post by bundy on Sun May 19, 2019 2:59 pm

The last committee is to blame for this years performance B %#%yT. I am getting sick and tired of sooky sooky la la continually complaining about the new board and if i was there it would all be different .you had tor chance and failed.Build a bridge and get over it or i will write a book about it i am sure mine will be a hit.This years performances stems from the previous recruiters who really seem to have average knowledge at that.Go for it guys you wont upset me.
bundy
bundy

Number of posts : 365
Job/hobbies : Lawn Bowls
Registration date : 2013-09-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Lachlan on Sun May 19, 2019 3:10 pm

Bundy, Im not looking back, what I want to know is what are we doing in the future to get better, which means bringing quality players to our football club. Therefore we start winning games of footy.

Lachlan
Lachlan

Back to top Go down

Post by bundy on Sun May 19, 2019 3:21 pm

Lachlan wrote:Bundy, Im not looking back, what I want to know is what are we doing in the future to get better, which means bringing quality players to our football club.  Therefore we start winning games of footy.
You are a very positive supporter my friend

bundy
bundy

Number of posts : 365
Job/hobbies : Lawn Bowls
Registration date : 2013-09-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Lachlan on Sun May 19, 2019 3:28 pm

Thanks Bundy.
Lachlan
Lachlan

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine on Sun May 19, 2019 10:45 pm

In general terms, some members of the Recruiting Committee identify prospects. This area has been good,we haven't missed much that other clubs have recruited. Many of those we have identified have been
drafted or rookied. Others agree or disagree, needs are looked at and the Coach's wishes are paramount

Getting the player from there comes down to the club employees and it isn't an easy task. When I get back, I'll give further input.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeme on Mon May 20, 2019 9:48 am

Our recruiting over the Years should be looked at as positive in most years however every-time we recruit we lose the same amount of players at the higher level so it all becomes neutral. How good would it be to have the players that we recruited this year fit, without losing the players that were drafted or retired (some prematurely) then i am sure all this chatter would be non existent.

However this is never the case and we can only do the best we can with the available funds all be very little funds that are left in the cookie jar.
mikeme
mikeme

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2017-03-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella on Mon May 20, 2019 11:05 am

mikeme ---- great post especially identifying that quality players were lost late due to draft or retired.

All clubs rely on their top 6 players and this season in most games either through injury, suspension, late return from preseason injury there has been very few games where the coach has had significantly less than his 6 top players (latest is Chris Schmidt and also includes Jack Agostino and Josh Schiller and earlier 2 of our top recruits) ---- an old saying is that injuries are not an excuse but where they are in your top 6 then it forces a very young and inexperienced team which tends to work very hard but physically run out of energy late in the game (sounds familiar to anyone?]

Not to mention the SANFL brilliant concept of a lower salary cap for the club !!!!!!!!

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Life long passionate supporter
Oldfella
Oldfella

Number of posts : 561
Job/hobbies : Retired due to severe clinical depression

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine on Mon May 20, 2019 2:50 pm

Recruiting isn't a matter of just needing a key forward and, hey presto, here's a signed key forward.

When I get time soon, I'll give a detailed reply about how hard it is.

All I will say now is that all involved work hard and diligently with limited resources to get the best result, as does the current Board and previous Boards. They all put in many hours for no recompense.

Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian on Fri May 24, 2019 3:05 pm

With no game this weekend you'd like to think we had senior people interstate looking at/talking to potential recruits. Does anyone know if this is happening?
aldo russian
aldo russian

Number of posts : 698

Back to top Go down

Post by Lachlan on Fri May 24, 2019 3:21 pm

Aldo,

I agree with your post. A well organised club would think this weekend was an ideal opportunity to watch and speak to potential players for next year.

Since 2016 ourperformances on field have been WOEFUL and this just cannot continue.
Lachlan
Lachlan

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella on Fri May 24, 2019 4:22 pm

I am sure that the club has various spotters here in country South Australia and interstate that are doing exactly what you are asking.

I would expect the last thing the club would do is give any identification on where or who they are looking at thus showing their hand to other clubs.

Speaking of recruits in general, i feel we need 3 good experienced recruits as our pool of top level players is limited by injury.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Life long passionate supporter
Oldfella
Oldfella

Number of posts : 561
Job/hobbies : Retired due to severe clinical depression

Back to top Go down

Post by Lachlan on Fri May 24, 2019 4:57 pm

Old fella,
It’s given they have spotters, its more about the club being Proactive and having senior figures speaking to potential players in person.

I actually think we need 4 or 5 quality recruits.
Lachlan
Lachlan

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine on Fri May 24, 2019 7:49 pm

I can't speak for this year, but last year another Board member and I paid our own way to Melbourne, watched 4 VFL games and spoke to many people. I'm sure the Club will be highly active, as we all know we need more quality players.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolfman Jack on Fri May 24, 2019 8:46 pm

Lachlan you are so right, we need four or five quality recruits & the time for action is now.
Wolfman Jack
Wolfman Jack

Number of posts : 68
Job/hobbies : Retired
Registration date : 2013-10-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine on Sat May 25, 2019 12:26 am

Let's say the Club identifies 50 potential recruits. Let's say we need a good key forward, a ruckman and a quality midfielder.  Let's say we contact all 50.

30 will immediately say they're not interested, or won't answer calls.

5 will demand a ridiculous payment.  5 will be interested, but 'not this year'. Of the 10 left, 3 will be drafted. Of the 7 left, 3 will be fielding offers from other clubs, including VFL.

So we have 4 left, all interested. 1 drops out as his partner won't shift.

We then have 3 left. We have to find a job for the players and a job for their partners.

Then one player advises that another SANFL club has offered much more. Another advises that the Uni course he's doing isn't offered in SA.

Aside from that, any good ruckman will be rookie drafted - see what's happened or will happen to South.

On top of that, we operate on a salary cap less than our competitors, making outbidding other clubs harder.

We recognise the targets as well as any. The problem is landing them.  Our recruiting this year was rated best of all clubs, but we've lost 2 with injuries. I doubt other clubs have recruited much better.

However, we do need to recruit well to cover our needs. Over the years, we've had a number of coaches and staff involved in recruiting. We were broke, but should be debt free in A few years, so I believe we can forego SANFL funds now and recruit heavily, otherwise we'll continue to lose supporters.

Rest assured that Gavin and the Board are making this an an absolute priority, but it's not just a question of recruiting 4 quality players just like that.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian on Sun May 26, 2019 11:51 am

Great precis Lee. And I guess the consequence of that is that we need to be contacting well more than 50 players to increase our chances of landing 4 or 5.
aldo russian
aldo russian

Number of posts : 698

Back to top Go down

Post by RODH2 on Sun May 26, 2019 5:31 pm

.....which is pretty much what every other club is doing, too! But, thanks Lee, good insight.
RODH2
RODH2

Number of posts : 141
Registration date : 2015-03-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine on Sun May 26, 2019 9:23 pm

The question is that how many after your first 50 ate good enough?

The other source is recommendations from past players and the like. Sometimes these players are 'recruited', but in reality come over at little cost to try out.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by blood bath on Mon May 27, 2019 7:08 pm

Just to clarify, West are on a reduced salary cap and now a reduced playing list with Snelling and Noble drafted? That sounds like an even playing field to me...
blood bath
blood bath

Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2017-04-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine on Mon May 27, 2019 10:15 pm

Yes, it's never been a level playing field. The SANFL is convinced reducing the salary cap for West and South is the only option for giving us equalisation funds. No amount of arguing made any difference.

Now we lose 2 top players for nothing and still have a reduced cap.

Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by TAAARS on Mon May 27, 2019 11:07 pm

Here's a suggestion for the remainder of the season. The gate takings goes straight to the SANFL right?
So either hand out free entry passes to anyone who wants them or open up the gates around the ground and let them walk straight in. Hit the SANFL where it hurts.
After all it is not going to be worth the $14 entry is it to watch us with no chance of winning.
TAAARS
TAAARS

Number of posts : 164

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine on Tue May 28, 2019 12:02 am

The gate takings go to us.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum