West V Crows

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Go down

West V Crows Empty West V Crows

Post by Thiele on Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:59 pm

I know its early

Heads up reserves start 9.45 v Sturt. Its so Sturt offficlas can get to Albertrton after the reserves. There is a Crows V Port womens game in betweeen the reserves and league

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
2015 PREMIERS. GO BLOODS
Thiele
Thiele

Number of posts : 505
Registration date : 2013-09-25

Back to top Go down

West V Crows Empty Re: West V Crows

Post by Thiele on Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:42 pm

Congrats to Tom Keough on 100 games this weekend and Beechy played his 150th Friday night both will celebrated at presentations on Saturday after the game

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
2015 PREMIERS. GO BLOODS
Thiele
Thiele

Back to top Go down

Post by Thiele on Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:42 pm

WEST
West Adelaide has regained a key defender for its match against Adelaide on Saturday.
Former Redleg Pat Levicki has been called up from the Reserves after he made a successful comeback from a knee injury.
Named at half-back, Levicki has been joined in the starting 18 by Thomas Pillion in the forward pocket.
Possible debutants Kyle Kirk and Sam May have been listed on the extended interchange bench.
Bloods captain Tom Keough will play his 100th Statewide Super League game.
League
F: Pillion, Beech, Wasley-Black
HF: Johnson, Hupfeld, Osborn
C: Batley, P. Fairlie, Waite
HB: J. Evans, Keough, Levicki
B: Hill, Ryan, Dunkin

R: Parrella, H. Haysman, K. Stevens
INT: Anderson, B. Turner, Majok, May, Kirk
IN: Kirk, Pillion, May, Levicki
OUT: Willsmore (hamstring), G. Turner
Reserves
Karpany, Cleeland, G. Turner, Inglis, Gallaway, Lynch, Wooldridge, L. Evans, Caruso, Morelli, S. Bentley, Noonan, Sareen, Morrish, C. Fairlie, Fielke, Sinderberry, Nield, Moore, J. Bentley, G. Haysman.
Under-18
Forrest, Ebert, O’Connor-Dawkins, Brauer, J. Westley, Iuliano, Stakic, Kelly, Heitmann, Van den Berg, Nunan, Chamberlain, Harkins, Laudato, Gilbert, Plate, Sareen, Henty-Smith, Groom, Pederick, Bock, Sinderberry, Forbes, Coulthard, Smith, Boughen, Boylan.

2015 PREMIERS. GO BLOODS
Thiele
Thiele

Back to top Go down

Post by bludntars on Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:08 pm

be lucky if we get 5 goals
bludntars
bludntars

Number of posts : 33

Back to top Go down

Post by blacky on Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:31 pm

bludntars wrote:be lucky if we get 5 goals
So your going then
blacky

Number of posts : 131
Registration date : 2011-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeme on Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:52 am

I am sure each player will give their all. Win or loose we still have to get behind the boys and show we care. Get involved at least give the boys the home crowd advantage, BANG the Fence get under the crows skin. Tomorrow we must remember whoever pulls on an Adelaide Jumper are only SANFL players and no better than us.

Give the boys a chance, stranger things have happened in football.

GO THE BLOODS.
mikeme
mikeme

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2017-03-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine on Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:01 am

Very well said, Mikeme.

Tomorrow will be difficult for all of us loyal supporters. One side has 21 AFL listed players, more than one of whom is paid more than our total salary cap.

They will be playing a SANFL team who have just lost their two best players mid-seasonj for no compensation. As well, the SANFL, in its unchallenged wisdom, decided that assisting the club with extra funding should come at the cost of a restricted salary cap. That means for 2 years we were 2 good players short of the other teams and one player short this year. Total 5 players. If this continues next year, we will then be a cumulative 6 players short, I disagree that this is the way to maintain the integrity of the competition or to assist us.

The club is well aware of this and I'm sure will be interested in members' thoughts at the meeting next week. It will be a good opportunity for the Board and members to work together for the benefit of the club.

It is, IMO, the key question for us for the future.

Oh, Reserves sides will be also be several players short so that the State Under 18's can have an opponent for their practice match this week.

Go the Bloods.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Number of posts : 960
Registration date : 2014-05-24

Back to top Go down

Post by blackandred on Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:34 pm

So Douglas is elevated from the Crows Ressies. That leaves Jacobs, Gibbs, McKay, Knight, Otten, Greenwood, Himmelberg, Wright, Poholke, Fogarty, etc, etc to front up at Richmond oval to play our Bloods tomorrow.

While our blokes are working at their day job today the Crows Ressies will, possibly, have a light run then a spa and massage. Perhaps a session with their wellness advisor before a coffee at Henley Square with their financial planner to go over their share and real estate portfolio. Later they may well enjoy a Glycolic Peel to refine their skin texture before meeting up with the team dietician to discuss diet options and their weekly skin-fold results.

Our blokes will finish work, go home for a shower and dinner and crash. Go the Bloods.
blackandred
blackandred

Number of posts : 167

Back to top Go down

Post by MR BLOODHOUND on Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:00 pm

I hope the selectors show some imagination and play Kirk and May .
MR BLOODHOUND
MR BLOODHOUND

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2015-05-20

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce cameron on Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:31 pm

Lee Harradine wrote:Very well said, Mikeme.

Tomorrow will be difficult for all of us loyal supporters.  One side has 21 AFL listed players, more than one of whom is paid more than our total salary cap.

They will be playing a SANFL team who have just lost their two best players mid-seasonj for no compensation.  As well, the SANFL, in its unchallenged wisdom, decided that assisting the club with extra funding should come at the cost of a restricted salary cap.  That means for 2 years we were 2 good players short of the other teams and one player short this year.  Total 5 players.  If this continues next year, we will then be a cumulative 6 players short,  I disagree that this is the way to maintain the integrity of the competition or to assist us.

The club is well aware of this and I'm sure will be interested in members' thoughts at the meeting next week.  It will be a good opportunity for the Board and members to work together for the benefit of the club.

It is, IMO, the key question for us for the future.

Oh, Reserves sides will be also be several players short so that the State Under 18's can have an opponent for their practice match this week.

Go the Bloods.

In my opinion, Lee's comments make it essential that we supporters make our frustration known in a public forum. An ideal opportunity will present itself when we play South in a few weeks’ time. South Adelaide, like Westies and Glenelg, have been treated with absolute contempt. The Panthers have not won a flag since 1964 and Glenelg since 1986. South lost Brooksby and McLean just two weeks from Round 1 and their replacement ruckman, Knoll (state no 1 ruckman) to the mid-season draft. Glenelg lost Hosie (leading SANFL goal kicker) to the mid-season draft. And of course we lost, arguably, our two best players.

Tuesday’s forum provides us with the opportunity to discuss whether or not/and how we should protest our treatment at the hands of the AFL. A bi lateral approach from the rank and file of both clubs would work well. Unfortunately, the game is not televised, but it should be possible to get some media coverage.

Thanks First Blood for posting the Mick Warner clip.

The very uneven playing field will be highlighted tomorrow when we take on the Crows Reserves. The inclusion of Jacobs, Gibbs, McKay, Knight, Otten, Greenwood, Himmelberg, Wright, Poholke and Fogarty will help to reinforce our arguments for no mid-season draft and no late preseason draft picks. Add to this a reduced salary cap and what chance have we got.

Go Bloods

bruce cameron
bruce cameron

Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2015-02-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Lachlan on Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:37 pm

I think May will play on the wing in the absence of Willsmore. He deserves his opportunity he has been very consistent in the ressies.

Kirk has also been a consistent player as well and may come in for Anderson who has struggled this year.

I will be there tomorrow hoping for a miracle.
Lachlan
Lachlan

Number of posts : 592

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian on Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:58 pm

I agree. Give us some hope. Pick for the future.
aldo russian
aldo russian

Number of posts : 677

Back to top Go down

Post by MR BLOODHOUND on Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:05 am

I see Kirk and May playing in the reserves again . Again the selectors failing at picking the best team . No wonder players leave and end up playing against us . We recruited Cleeland yet still play Chol who struggles at league level .
MR BLOODHOUND
MR BLOODHOUND

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2015-05-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella on Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:18 pm

Reserves beat Sturt 70 - 62 well done boys

Will be difficult in main game V Crows but the boys will give it their best

Life long passionate supporter
Oldfella
Oldfella

Number of posts : 524
Job/hobbies : Retired due to being certified mad

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine on Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:58 pm

Under 18's leading nicely. Beau Nunan with 4 goals.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine on Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:42 pm

2 frees so far for too high for tackles around the waist.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella on Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:12 pm

LEAGUE

Not at the game but given the strength of Crows side then this is far above expectations.

Stats seem to indicate that we again let opposition in last quarter 6 goals to 2 goals

West Adelaide 10.6  66

Crows 10.12 72

Oldfella
Oldfella

Back to top Go down

West V Crows Empty An improved performance and all quiet on the Western Front

Post by bruce cameron on Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:35 am

Although the result was disappointing, I enjoyed yesterday's game. We played entertaining football and had a real crack. Well done to the players. It was Wasley-Black's best game for a while and Brett Turner has worked hard since being dropped to the Reserves. Less chipping around and more risk taking seemed to work for us. I thought our tackling effort was good, but we had trouble sticking them against the much bigger bodies of the Crows. It would have been nice to celebrate Tommy's 100th with a win, but s*** happens. Well done to both he and Jono on their milestone games.

There isn't much discussion about yesterday's performance so far, much more when our performance is well below par.
?

Go Bloods
bruce cameron
bruce cameron

Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2015-02-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Thiele on Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:44 am

I enjoyed yesterdays game. I thought Parella did well against Jacobs. Nice to see a 4 1/4 effort

2015 PREMIERS. GO BLOODS
Thiele
Thiele

Back to top Go down

Post by Lachlan on Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:15 am

It was definitely an improved performance against a quality side like Adelaide, however we still lost and that’s not acceptable.

I thought our intensity was good for the majority of the game and the players willingness to work harder for longer was evident. What we really lacked yesterday was a couple of good midfielders who can kick and 2 Key Marking Forwards.
We need to carry this same work ethic against an improved Eagles side next week.

Wasley-Black played his best game for some time. Brett Turner’s performance the past two weeks has been good, he just needs to make decisions a bit quicker. Stevens and Hill were also good contributiors.
Lachlan
Lachlan

Number of posts : 592

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine on Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:21 am

It was a strange game for many reasons yesterday.  First, of course, the result was foreseen by exactly nobody, as far as the margin was concerned.  Secondly, with a paltry crowd, we had an AFL franchise with 20 listed players against the 2nd bottom SANFL team who had just had two of their best players taken from them mid-week and mid-season, for no compensation.

In a further note as to how the integrity of the SANFL competition has diminished in the eyes of the SANFL, League and Reserves teams were further raided to ensure the State Under 18's had a practice match and some opposition.  Hence the Reserves started just after dawn to allow Sturt's staff to partcipate in two games, one at Richmond and one at Alberton.

I doubt I've ever attended a league game with so little atmosphere. Most Crows supporters followed the game on TV, purely to follow the form of individual players.  The West faithful were resigned to a walloping, but more power to them for attending.  The Cheer Squad were there as always, in full voice and fence shattering mode, this time rightly uninterrupted and no SANFL fines were issued.

We started OK.  The boys gave everything they had, they made some errors but they did plenty right.  Parella battled well against Jacobs, Brett Turner was good against Gibbs.  We were all aware that both Jacobs and Gibbs salary was a multiple of our total salary cap, restricted as it was.  We were pleasantly surprised at how well Isaac Johnson was playing and Beechy, with the weight of the forward line on his shoulders, was giving us a great target.  An even first quarter and we walked out to the huddle, expecting the margin to widen by half-time.

Gavin Colville wasn't expecting that and the team coninued to play well.  The backline was holding up well, Pat Levicki doing some good things, Murray Waite flashing into the play and Hugh Haysman, getting some games under his belt, reminding us of his premiership year form.  We were unexpectedly happy at half-time, not with thoughts of a win, but feeling we'd gained some respectability.

The game continued in the same vein in the third quarter.  We looked at the scoreboard and nervously dared to hope, as it said we led by 2 goals.  Surely the scoreboard was wrong?  It wasn't, it reflected our effort and commitment.

Erin Wasley-Black was awarded 2 25 metre penalties, a just reward for such a mild-mannered player, Jack Evans and Logan Hill were solid and Josh Ryan, close to our best player this year, held Himmelberg well.

It didn't take long for reality to strike.  Our problematic last quarter form hit home again and we quickly trailed by 2 goals, with time to play.  Some resigned themselves to a routine 6 goal loss, but the players had other thoughts. They dug deep. Hupfeld, who had done well without it showing on the stats sheet, came into the game, Beechy kept being Beechy, a gem in a field where gems were rare, and Stevens, Fairlie and Turner kept up supply.  Batley played easily his best game for the year and the momentum reversed, to the stage where a bit of luck or a different bounce of the ball might have earned us a draw or a win.

It's always hard after such a game.  We lost a winnable game.  We almost won an unwinnable game.  You had to be happy, though. My thoughts were with the coach.  He'd inherited a tem with a very restricted salary cap, near the bottom, had resurrected the team somewhat last year and had started this season with high hopes, only to see the guts of his team ripped out through injury, departures and an arrogant mid-season draft that cared nothing for football except at the very top level.  Yet he'd nearly won the game with 10 players who had played Reserves football this year and a mid-field at one stage consisting of Stevens, Fairlie, Turner and Osborn.  Osborn. A story of perseverance and courage in itself and a good game yesterday.

Last quarters remain a problem, despite the last 15 minutes,  Our skill level remains a problem.  Our list is a problem.

However, we saw an effort yesterday that made us proud of the club and the players, at a dark time and for that we're rightly grateful.  

As for Adelaide, I watched Jordan Butts with interest, as we had spoken to Jordan pre-season about coming to us.  He played well.

What yesterday did, though, was to restore some pride in the club and that is important.  Apart from the second quarter against Norwood, we've been in almost every game this year for long periods, without reward.  

Eagles next game.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella on Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:52 am

Great write up Lee and thank you.

I agree reference the U/18 and it is sad that that the SANFL focus is AFL recruits rather than being the breeding zone for future league players ------ this junior competition should not take precedence over the Clubs and league level football ---- i don't care if the U/18 comes last in the Australian Championships as it is really not relevant except for the Ego's of some.

Your comment reference what cards Gavin has been dealt is so true and just so so sad!

Over 30 years I worked under many Westies League Coaches and i honestly rate this man well up to the best of them ---- I am an unashamed Gavin fan and just hope that we the club can retain him as our senior coach for i honestly believe he IS the future if we can get his club support network correct.

Sunday sermon over --- i now leave the pulpit

Lee Harradine wrote:In a further note as to how the integrity of the SANFL competition has diminished in the eyes of the SANFL, League and Reserves teams were further raided to ensure the State Under 18's had a practice match and some opposition.  Hence the Reserves started just after dawn to allow Sturt's staff to participate in two games, one at Richmond and one at Alberton.

My thoughts were with the coach.  He'd inherited a team with a very restricted salary cap, near the bottom, had resurrected the team somewhat last year and had started this season with high hopes, only to see the guts of his team ripped out through injury, departures and an arrogant mid-season draft that cared nothing for football except at the very top level.  Yet he'd nearly won the game with 10 players who had played Reserves football this year and a mid-field at one stage consisting of Stevens, Fairlie, Turner and Osborn.  Osborn. A story of perseverance and courage in itself and a good game yesterday.

Oldfella
Oldfella

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolf Pack on Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:41 pm

Credit to our lads.
We played really well.
Isaac Johnson is very impressive and Fairlie and Waite have shown a bit.
All we can expect for the remaining games is for the lads to show effort and intensity at the contest.
I feel for our coach. Pretty tough job with the long list of outs:
Snelling, Noble, Schiller, Schmidt, Willsmore, Agostino to name a few.
The word around the ground yesterday was that Middleton and Zac Bates have left the club. Pretty ordinary if that is the case....
Wolf Pack
Wolf Pack

Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2013-09-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella on Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:49 am

Very good assessment IMO

https://westadelaidefc.com.au/news/colvilles-corner-round-9/

We came into this week’s game with a focus on our defensive structures, given our poor showing in this area the week before. Our first quarter was competitive and our defensive spread from contest and defensive positioning was very good. This saw us create some strong turnovers in our forward half which lead to goals. Their first goal however came from the ball getting out the back from a kick in which was due to a break down in our structure- something we must not let happen. We continued to pressure the opposition in the second quarter and were winning the contested ball. Numerous holding the ball decisions was a good indicator of our defensive intensity. Importantly, we were also sticking our tackles which meant the opposition had little respite when closed down. Offensively, we were a little off with our crumbing positions, an area of importance against a team with a strong height advantage. Down by four points at half time, I was particularly happy with our third term. We maintained our defensive pressure and as the game started to open up, we found more run from the back half. Adelaide had some good moments and found marks in the F50m however these were in wide positions on the ground, making goal conversion difficult. We went into the final term with a 2 goal lead. We however lost ascendancy in stoppages for the first time on the day. In the first 18 minutes of the final term we lost we lost centre bounces 0 to 5 and all stoppages 1 to 10. Our reaction times dropped and we got caught in between opponents. Meaning, although we tried to apply the same pressure as previous quarters, the opposition were getting their handballs away in tight, resulting in fast forward entries for the opposition. This was extremely disappointing and we need to learn how to maintain our focus in these periods. I was pleased however that we regained the match momentum and pressed late for the win. A little extra composure and better ball use in f50m in the closing few minutes of the game could have seen us find another one or two scores. We finally fell short by six points.

Overall, I could not question our intent and work rate. We improved in deficient areas from the week before and played according to instructions. We were strong at the contest often against bigger bodies. This must however be our base level for the remainder of the year. This hard nosed approach will see us compete against any side in this competition. A full four quarter effort still eludes us. Momentum is a part of football however we need to continue to decrease the impact of opposition momentum in terms of duration and the scoreboard. We are getting closer in this area.

We have a very even contribution on the day. I was really happy with Logan Hill and Errin Wasley-Black in the backline. Logan in particular, improved his kicking efficiency and provided some strong run and carry. I though Nigel Osborn was again important in contested ball and Isaac Johnson added some strong marking to his running game. Nathan Batley showed improvement and was terrific with his one take and attack on the contest. Kaine Stevens again provided strong impact with the ball through the middle of the ground and Hugh Haysman worked tirelessly across half forward. This hard work was rewarded with the three important goals.

Oldfella
Oldfella

Back to top Go down

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum