West v Port

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Go down

West v Port Empty West v Port

Post by Thiele on Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:04 pm

Port Adelaide will welcome its captain back to confront West on Sunday.
Former Fremantle defender Cam Sutcliffe was an emergency for the Power at AFL level last Saturday night but wasn’t used, making match fitness critical for the No.1 Magpie.
Sutcliffe is among six inclusions to Port’s 23-man squad together with veteran defender Matthew Broadbent, who has returned from leave to focus on his mental health.
Former Brisbane captain Tom Rockliff unsurprisingly earned an AFL recall after racking up a SANFL record 57 disposals in Round 11 while Justin Westhoff was also rewarded for his 37 touches and three goals.
Experienced ruckman Paddy Ryder, who kicked two goals against the Roosters, will lead the ruck for the Magpies.
League
F: Cox, Ladhams, Farrell
HF: Marshall, Woodcock, Johnson
C: Mayes, Powell-Pepper, Sutcliffe
HB: Garner, Lienert, McKenzie
B: Broadbent, Grundy, Hewett

R: Ryder, Atley, Drew
INT: Frederick, Frampton, Hayes, Davidson, Corcoran
IN: Sutcliffe, Farrell, Ladhams, Drew, Garner, Broadbent
OUT: Westhoff (AFL), Rockliff (AFL), Strange, Elsworthy
WEST
West Adelaide has bolstered its height in defence for the contest against Port on Sunday.
Tall utility Chol Majok has been named in the back pocket to be at least one change to the Bloods’ 21 which lost to South in Round 11.
Fellow backman Jack Agostino, who has been battling a quad injury this year, could play his first League match of 2019 after being named on the extended interchange.
Nigel Osborn and Jade Cleeland also come into the 25-man squad.
Star West midfielder Kaine Stevens will play his 100th Statewide Super League match after making his debut in Round 1 of 2014.
League
F: G. Turner, Beech, Schmidt
HF: Karpany, Willsmore, B. Turner
C: Batley, P. Fairlie, Waite
HB: Hill, Keough, Levicki
B: Majok, Ryan, Dunkin

R: Parrella, H. Haysman, K. Stevens
INT: Anderson, Hupfeld, Osborn, J. Evans, Agostino, Wasley-Black, Cleeland
IN: Osborn, Agostino, Cleeland, Majok
Reserves
Pillion, R. Stevens, Inglis, Kirk, Gallaway, Lynch, Wooldridge, L. Evans, Caruso, Morelli, S. Bentley, Laube, Noonan, Morrish, Gutsche, Rana, C. Fairlie, May, Sinderberry, Nield, Moore, J. Bentley, G. Haysman.
Under-18
Pearce, Ebert, O’Connor-Dawkins, Brauer, Westley, Bailye, Kelly, Kelsh, Fielke, Sherlock, Thilithorpe, Wooldridge, Morelli, Van den Berg, Nunan, Chamberlain, Nield, Laudato, Gilbert, De Cesare, Sareen, Henty-Smith, Groom, Sinderberry, Forbes, Smith, Boughen.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
2015 PREMIERS. GO BLOODS
Thiele
Thiele

Number of posts : 517
Registration date : 2013-09-25

Back to top Go down

West v Port Empty Re: West v Port

Post by Thiele on Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:05 pm

Reserves play at 11.15 at Norwood on Sunday

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
2015 PREMIERS. GO BLOODS
Thiele
Thiele

Number of posts : 517

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian on Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:00 pm

Our Reserves are top, but at League level we keep sticking with the same players who have got us second last. Anyone care to explain?
aldo russian
aldo russian

Number of posts : 698

Back to top Go down

Post by Lachlan on Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:11 pm

I think Cleeland deserves another chance ahead of Hupfeld. Cleeland has been in the best players in the ressies of late.

Majok being selected in the league side is sad reflection on the lack of Key Position Players at the club. He simply isn’t a league football and in fact isn’t a Reserves player either.
Lynch should be given an opportunity he may not have the height however he has been playing ressies for a number of years and he deserves an opportunity.

Sam May has been a consistent player in the ressies all year he is the future of our club. I wouldn’t have played Osborn at 28 and whilst he maybe a good clubman unfortunately he also isn’t a league player
Lachlan
Lachlan

Number of posts : 609

Back to top Go down

Post by bundy on Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:37 am

Sorry but Majok is not a league player nor is Karpanny. Rehashing players that have proven that is not a good thing,try others nothing to lose other than games. Shocked
bundy
bundy

Number of posts : 365
Job/hobbies : Lawn Bowls
Registration date : 2013-09-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine on Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:24 am

I watched our Under 18's yesterday in a good win agAinst Norwood. Riley Thilthorpe, in his first game back after injury, played very well and kicked 3 goals. He'll play League for us next year and wi then be a top 5 draft pick. I really liked Jye Sinderberry, solid defender, along with several others.

Beau Nunan was quiet until the last quarter, when he kicked 4 goals to finish with 6. He doesn't often miss.

Others I liked we're Djon Brauer, Hugo Kelly, Jack Kelsh, Joel Groom and several others.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Number of posts : 1002
Registration date : 2014-05-24

Back to top Go down

Post by bundy on Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:01 am

When he is not selling houses like dad,how is Bailey Fielke going.
bundy
bundy

Number of posts : 365
Job/hobbies : Lawn Bowls
Registration date : 2013-09-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine on Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:45 am

It’s a strange, empty feeling going to a game of SANFL football at Alberton these days, knowing that the likelihood is that your team will do well to not lose by a large margin.  And so it was on Sunday.  I’d spent Saturday watching an entertaining game of Under 18’s footy, where we had a nice win and I saw a couple of likely league footballers for us, including a potential No 1 draft choice in 2020.  There weren’t many there, but it was a pleasant couple of hours.

Watching the first half of our Reserves at Norwood wasn’t as pleasant, but the boys picked up in the second half.

And so to Alberton.  The crowd was about 1,500, almost entirely Port supporters still glowing from their AFL win and there to watch their team of almost all listed players.  Conditions were perfect.  I had hoped for rain and boggy conditions, because I knew our boys would be physical, but it was not to be.  We didn’t score in the first quarter, although Jonno Beech presented well and regularly.

For the next two quarters, I thought we battled hard, but the skill difference was apparent.  Often we’d string three or four passages of nice play together, only for it to come to nothing through either a skill error or a total lack of key forwards.

We battled the game out pretty well, if you can say that about a 13 goal loss, but somehow it wasn’t as bad as many feared.  On the other hand, we lost by heaps and are clearly well off the pace.  In other news, John Noble and Will Snelling are racking them up in the VFL, Mason Middleton and Zac Bates are playing country footy and Josh Schiller looks unlikely to play for some time.

Within the bounds of a team with a restricted salary cap (and everyone knows what I think of that SANFL decision) playing an AFL team, there were many players who could hold their heads up and I couldn’t fault the effort from every player.  I thought Beechy was our best player, not for weight of possession, but he stood apart for being clean with the ball and presenting early as our only key forward.  Pat Levicki’s last two games have been excellent, Elliot Dunkin (apart from one kick-in) was excellent, Josh Ryan again was tough and tight, Chris Schmidt delivered well and was cool and Hugh Haysman was lively.  I thought our defence stood up pretty well, as Port knew that they were kicking into a forward line of giants.  Murray Waite was co-opted into the midfield, especially after Brett Turner went down with injury, and performed really well.  Jack Evans’ goal was a highlight and Ago and Logan Hill battled hard.  Dallas Willsmore is now showing his class and racked up 32 touches.

I left, feeling fairly empty, as if it wasn’t really a ‘proper’ game of league football.  On the other hand, we have to be much better than yesterday to win more games.  Next week we play North, a game that may well determine the wooden spoon.  I think we can win and the boys will set themselves for this game at home.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Number of posts : 1002
Registration date : 2014-05-24

Back to top Go down

Post by blackandred on Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:56 pm

Firstly, congratulations to Kaine Stevens on his one hundredth game. Pity the circumstances. He has been such a consistent performer for the club and deserved better for his milestone match.

Way back in the middle of last century I can recall a game at Alberton when, to cope with the tall Magpies backline we put one of our rovers, John Ryan, at CHF on Ron Ellaway. Our rovers, Jimmy Wright and Frank Hogan stab passed the ball low to Ryan and by the time Fos Williams woke up to the ploy Ryan had a bag of goals and the game was won. Wouldn’t work now but we were faced with a similar situation on Sunday at Alberton.

Although the selectors looked to add some talls to our backline they were no match for the height and skills of the blond giants that out-reached us all day. Marshall 198cm, Frampton, 200cm, Hayes, 203cm, Ladhams, 203cm and add to this their ruckman Paddy Ryder, a mere 196cm and Leinert at 196cm. We didn’t have a hope of out-marking these guys in such dry conditions. There is little our selectors (or our Board for that matter!) could ever do to deal with such a line up.

In perfect conditions we could only manage to score 3.4. We did well to keep Port Power Reserves to 14.15 but can be thankful for their inaccuracy. 29 shots to 7 says it all. At times, late in the game, it did seem as though they were just going through the motions. More of a training run than a serious contest.

We were out-run, out-muscled and out-classed by a vastly superior and professional opponent but, to our credit, we never gave up. Beechy, Stevens, Logan Hill and Errin Wasley-Black battled hard all day. Brett Turner looked to have sustained a bad ankle injury and Jonno Beech ended the game with ice on his knee. Willsmore played his best game for the club. Dunkin played well. Levicki tried his best. The poor form of our captain is a worry.

This looks to be the year for the AFL Reserves teams: sitting first and third on the table. This presents major problems for the SANFL and the integrity of our competition. We have games against North and Centrals coming up this month and we need to regroup and concentrate on securing a few more wins. Our endeavour cannot be faulted but it is hard to see us kicking a winning score against anyone.
blackandred
blackandred

Number of posts : 170

Back to top Go down

Post by blood bath on Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:30 pm

West Adelaide veteran Chris Schmidt has been referred directly to the SANFL Tribunal for engaging in serious misconduct with Port Adelaide’s Joe Atley at Alberton Oval on Sunday.

The SANFL Tribunal hearing will take place at Adelaide Oval at a time to be determined.

West Adelaide and Port Adelaide have both been sanctioned for their involvement in a melee which occurred at the commencement of the half-time break
blood bath
blood bath

Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2017-04-04

Back to top Go down

Post by firstblood on Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:19 am

blood bath wrote:West Adelaide veteran Chris Schmidt has been referred directly to the SANFL Tribunal for engaging in serious misconduct with Port Adelaide’s Joe Atley at Alberton Oval on Sunday.

The SANFL Tribunal hearing will take place at Adelaide Oval at a time to be determined.

West Adelaide and Port Adelaide have both been sanctioned for their involvement in a melee which occurred at the commencement of the half-time break
What about the Port coach? As he ran past the West bench at 1/2 time on to the oval while the mellee was on, he was abusing West Adelaide staff on the bench, according to the Port coach, we are a 'bunch of f*****g wankers' most of the staff were trainers etc.. i wonder how that would go down at an AFL game?
firstblood
firstblood

Number of posts : 348
Job/hobbies : The light keeper
Registration date : 2007-11-11

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian on Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:46 am

The club should be advised and should report that to the SANFL fb. We don't need to cop abuse from them as well.
aldo russian
aldo russian

Back to top Go down

Post by blood bath on Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:41 am

I was very close to the bench and heard Lokan mouthing off too. Lokan was a average footballer and even worse coach. Still enjoy Bloods beating the Bays when he was coach in 2017 in the last minor round to knock them out of 5th positon.
blood bath
blood bath

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian on Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:51 pm

Good report from the coach about this game on the website. I too thought our effort was really commendable, even if other aspects of our game weren't. I hope the players can rise to the occasion this week to get a win not just for us, but for themselves.
aldo russian
aldo russian

Back to top Go down

Post by Lachlan on Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:02 pm

A positive report from the coach. I really hope we bring the same effort against North.
Lachlan
Lachlan

Number of posts : 609

Back to top Go down

Post by blood bath on Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:28 pm

West Adelaide veteran Chris Schmidt has been handed a $200 fine and reprimand by the SANFL Tribunal for engaging in serious misconduct with Port Adelaide’s Joe Atley at Alberton Oval on Sunday.

The charge of serious misconduct related to Schmidt making high contact with his left arm around the neck of Atley.

This contact was deemed careless and of low impact based on the evidence presented to the SANFL Tribunal Panel.

Schmidt is available to face North Adelaide in Round 13 on Saturday.

West Adelaide and Port Adelaide have both been sanctioned for their involvement in a melee which occurred at the commencement of the half-time break.
blood bath
blood bath

Back to top Go down

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum