Panic stations

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Go down

Panic stations Empty Panic stations

Post by mikeme on Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:39 am

Interesting to see that a couple of clubs in the AFL that are almost making the finals come out and defend everything that is happening around the respective football clubs, that everything is under review, no stone unturned to get improvement at the clubs in the future YET here at WAFC we had the CEO say a few words on behalf of the President (who was present) at the awards on Saturday night to about 70 people, 35 of them were players, 2 or 3 Central supporters and 2 or 3 punters.

At the moment the general supporters that are unable to go to games or get back to the club after need assurance that we are heading in the right direction, recruitment is being looked at, coach is locked in, club finances are still healthy, Salary cap issues are sorted out, all this and more.
I feel we need more information through the web site (no report from Gavin last week), I know a lot of content goes into facebook and snapchat because that is an easy platform to post on, but the older folk, the ones that have only just mastered the internet need something that they can sit in front of and read (like a newspaper in the old days).

If anyone at the club reads this let us know, keep us informed, help us to defend the club when someone asks "what is going on at Westies". We need help to help.

Go the Bloods.
mikeme
mikeme

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2017-03-27

Back to top Go down

Panic stations Empty Re: Panic stations

Post by aldo russian on Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:36 am

Couldn't agree more. Where's the refusal to accept these performances and the commitment to make sure they're not repeated? Maybe we'd be more likely to hear about this attitude (and it would be more likely to exist) if there were some passionate footy people on the Board.
aldo russian
aldo russian

Number of posts : 676
Registration date : 2013-09-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Mockingjay on Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:07 pm

aldo russian wrote:Couldn't agree more. Where's the refusal to accept these performances and the commitment to make sure they're not repeated? Maybe we'd be more likely to hear about this attitude (and it would be more likely to exist) if there were some passionate footy people on the Board.

Absolutely agree, Aldo Russian.   What a pity that the "old boy business network" didn't have the foresight to recognise the problems that they created when they got rid of the passionate footy people that were on the Board.
Mockingjay
Mockingjay

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2018-11-30

Back to top Go down

Post by RODH2 on Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:14 pm

I have to agree with aldo and mockingjay. I haven't said much this season, but the proof of the pudding, etc........! A real shame that passionate, dedicated and hard working West Adelaide people don't seem to be a part of the agenda at Milner Road. Not to denigrate the hard working volunteers who are the backbone of the club, but don't get much say in the running of Club affairs.
RODH2
RODH2

Number of posts : 131
Registration date : 2015-03-28

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce cameron on Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:22 pm

Mockingjay wrote:
aldo russian wrote:Couldn't agree more. Where's the refusal to accept these performances and the commitment to make sure they're not repeated? Maybe we'd be more likely to hear about this attitude (and it would be more likely to exist) if there were some passionate footy people on the Board.

Absolutely agree, Aldo Russian.   What a pity that the "old boy business network" didn't have the foresight to recognise the problems that they created when they got rid of the passionate footy people that were on the Board.

Could the club please clarify for me the role of the two elected members of the board. My understanding was that these positions were created to allow two members to present the views and ideas of the rank and file. In Murray's last message he mentioned that Richard was in fact precinct director, meaning that his position needed to be filled by someone with skills in this area. ie '... we are currently seeking a candidate who is suitably qualified to oversee the oval precinct activities.' At the next AGM will any member be able to stand for either one of these positions on the board or will they only be available to those with the skills to fill a particular portfolio, in other words, will it be possible to have elected members who are 'passionate footy people'?

The last president's message was posted shortly after the June 24th board meeting. It must be time for another.
Is it possible to publish the minutes of these meetings? I have no business experience, but I thought this was standard practice. I am looking forward to reading updates on some of the planned activities mentioned in the last President's Message. For example:

'The board is also working towards holding a strategic planning day for the board, to be run by a professional facilitator, very soon. This will help us to crystallise our overall goals for the club, and will result in clearer and better-defined plans for long term growth and stability. I will keep you informed of the progress of this in the weeks ahead.'

How did this go? Did it help 'crystallise [the] overall goals [of] the club'? Will details be in the next President's message.

'West Torrens council has just approved the development of a master plan for our club’s facilities.'

When will details of this plan be available to members?

BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY, WILL IT INCLUDE INFORMATION ABOUT WHAT THE CLUB IS DOING TO ENSURE THAT OUR ON FIELD PERFORMANCE IMPROVES SIGNIFICANTLY IN 2020. AFTER ALL THE FOLLOWING STATEMENT WAS MADE.

'Our Football committees are working very hard to ensure that the right strategies are put in place for the rest of the season and beyond.'

When we buy our 2020 membership, will we be able to do so knowing that everything possible has been done to improve our on field performance?
bruce cameron
bruce cameron

Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2015-02-12

Back to top Go down

Post by TAAARS on Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:09 pm

Must admit it does make me shake my head at times. Bit like a Fawlty Towers episode.
Will you please stop these pesky passers by just dropping in and annoying me.
I'm trying to run a Hotel here!
TAAARS
TAAARS

Number of posts : 160
Registration date : 2013-09-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Mockingjay on Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:19 pm

[quote="mikeme"]
At the moment the general supporters that are unable to go to games or get back to the club after need assurance that we are heading in the right direction, recruitment is being looked at, coach is locked in, club finances are still healthy, Salary cap issues are sorted out, all this and more.

Quite right "mikeme"! We need to know how the Club is going on and off the field. There is a lot of speculation at the moment. Surely it is time to release the six monthly (or more up-to-date) figures so that we can at least be assured that the Club is travelling well financially. If our on-field performance doesn't improve and the financial situation is unsatisfactory, I fear that the Board may have some tough questions to answer at the next AGM.
Mockingjay
Mockingjay

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2018-11-30

Back to top Go down

Post by RODH2 on Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:53 pm

Yeah, but I wonder who will take it up to the Board, given that we voted away our, err, voting rights...............!
RODH2
RODH2

Number of posts : 131
Registration date : 2015-03-28

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce cameron on Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:59 pm

Mockingjay wrote:
mikeme wrote:

Quite right "mikeme"!  We need to know how the Club is going on and off the field.   There is a lot of speculation at the moment.   Surely it is time to release the six monthly (or more up-to-date) figures so that we can at least be assured that the Club is travelling well financially.  If our on-field performance doesn't improve and the financial situation is unsatisfactory, I fear that the Board may have some tough questions to answer at the next AGM.

Congratulations to Gavin on his open and transparent discussions regarding our on field performances. His WEEKLY write ups and show of emotion on game day prove that he cares about our football performance. To my knowledge Gavin has not blamed external factors for our poor performances. He needs as much tangible support as the board can provide him with, primarily a full salary cap. Good coaches can get the most out of the players they have. I believe that Gavin is already doing that. Our performances are usually OK, just not for four quarters. Our fitness level has been questioned often, but surely by Round 16 this shouldn't be the case, and Gavin told the AGM that the players had done everything asked of them during the pre-season. What's missing? We need about six established players who can fulfil a particular role. I have read nothing on the website about recruiting or the salary cap, or the re-appointment of the coach for that matter.
Several questions have been raised on the forum, but very few have been answered. The Board needs to balance the needs of the club, both off field and on field. If the board insist on running the club as a small business, then perhaps they should think of the members as shareholders who have an investment in their business - certainly not as 'pesky passers by' (thanks TAARS)
We were told that the nominated members of the board had specific skills sets which would benefit the club. Maybe my assumption was incorrect, but I thought that this implied a certain level of innovation. So far I have not noticed any evidence of this.
So, the main issue as I see it is a lack of quality communication. Speculation can best be dealt with, by open and transparent communication. Answer the questions put to you as best you can, or at least explain why you can't. Murray made several statements in his last message to members, now is the time to provide some details.
bruce cameron
bruce cameron

Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2015-02-12

Back to top Go down

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum