Latest Presidents address

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Go down

Latest Presidents address Empty Latest Presidents address

Post by Oldfella on Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:39 pm

NOTE --- BOLD is my edit

https://westadelaidefc.com.au/news/presidents-message-to-members-and-supporters-august-2019/

President’s Message to Members and Supporters – August 2019

Greetings to all members and supporters. I am pleased to update you with the latest information about Westies and its activities.

Our CEO Ben Hopkins and I addressed the senior players on Wednesday evening (31st July) to make sure that they received a clear and positive message from the board about the current status of and future plans for our club. We wanted to make sure that the players, each and every one, knew that we support them fully and that we have great belief in the success that is just around the corner for the playing group. I explained that the club has many departments and that we are seeing success emerging in some of them already this year. For example, progress continues to be made with the venue improvement plan and we will be in a position soon to announce those details once local council have finalised their deliberations. Additionally, we are still forging strong relationships with sponsors, and have plans to ensure that they are part of our success while at the same time building support for their businesses. Also, we are making progress in improving the financial situation of the club and are having some (albeit small) successes in that area. Of course, as I’ve stated before, financial success is critical to us being able to afford to break the bonds of a restricted salary cap, which is why the board is so focussed on repairing the financial performance of the club. I pointed out to the players that success can be found in many of our endeavours – just look around. Success breeds success. On-field success will follow as part of our overall successes. The address to the players was also an opportune moment to let them know that the board has enormous faith in Gavin’s ability to steer the side to successful outcomes in the future, and that negotiations are currently taking place to secure Gavin’s tenure for next season and beyond. We hope to make an announcement about this very soon. Ben and I plan to meet with the players regularly, after each board meeting, to make sure they hear from the directors. I believe it is an important part of the future of our club.

The bye weekend just gone could not have come at a better time. From a senior football point of view, our injury list has blown out with season ending injuries to Jono Beech, Josh Schiller, Brett Turner, Jack Evans, Tom Pillion, James Bentley, Jayden Klemke, Dustin Head and Cooper Patterson.

This has given opportunity to others to make their league debuts including under 18 player, Riley Thilthorpe, Kyle Kirk, Nigel Osborn, Sam May, Connor and Patrick Fairlie. Our development team currently sits in 5th position with a game in hand to complete the round this coming Sunday. So, we are hopeful of consolidating a place in the finals. The under 18 team currently sits in second position and they play the top team Eagles this Saturday at Maughan Thiem Kia Oval. They should go deep into the finals series. It is pleasing to see the success that Will Snelling and John Noble have achieved since being taken in the mid-season draft. Will was second best for Essendon v Port Adelaide on the weekend. Their selection reinforces the continued success of our Football Development Program.

Congratulations to Maddie Newman for being selected in the NAB AFL Women’s under 18 All Australian team and Will Day who had been invited to the AFL Draft Combine. Our Recruiting Committee and their network have been working for some time to identify talent locally and interstate to bolster our playing depth for next season.

I wish to take this opportunity to thank every member of the committees that operate under the guidance of our board. In particular, the various football committee members invest many hours building strong footy foundations under our club. Also, the marketing and sponsorship committee has been very active making sure we engage with our sponsors, as well as beginning the plans for a membership drive. It is critical to our success that we have a real focus on expanding the number of members in the club.

I mentioned in my last message that the board will be focussed on a strategic planning process. This is of particular importance to the club, because it’s imperative that our three-year plan is locked in place and becomes our blueprint for long-term growth and stability. A lot of time has already been invested in this process by the governance committee, and the first stage of the plan will be finalised and documented on Friday 9th August at a meeting of directors. We will then be in a position to share our future direction strategies at a meeting with SANFL to be held late in September. I know that SANFL is very invested in making sure our club thrives well into the future, so this meeting is of extreme importance to us in ensuring that we continue the great relationship that we currently have with SANFL.

We have many challenges ahead of us. So it’s important that you, the members and supporters, continue to provide your constructive feedback and comments so we can review our progress. I have really enjoyed chatting face to face with several of you at club functions, particularly at the after-game presentations, and I encourage you to interact with me as often as you can. For those who I don’t get a chance to meet personally, I am happy to receive emails at my club email address, which is murray.forbes@westadelaidefc.com.au. Also, you know that the club’s official facebook page is readily accessible from our website and is regularly updated by the club, supporters and members. This provides a fantastic forum for open discussion and comments by all interested parties, as well as keeping everyone up to date with upcoming events. Accordingly, the old “forum” link on the website will be replaced by a more prominent link to the official facebook page as from Monday 12th August. This doesn’t mean that the old forum will disappear altogether – it can still be accessed via its web address for those who wish to continue using it.

Thanks very much for taking the time to read this report. I look forward to catching up with you in the weeks ahead.

Murray Forbes

President

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Life long passionate supporter
Oldfella
Oldfella

Number of posts : 535
Job/hobbies : Retired due to being certified mad
Registration date : 2013-09-25

Back to top Go down

Latest Presidents address Empty Re: Latest Presidents address

Post by mikeme on Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:52 am

As This could be my last post through the website due to the Presidents message above (which i find a little underwhelming) I thank all for entertaining the readers with some good banter, robust discussions and above all The Undying Support and Passion for the WEST ADELAIDE FOOTBALL CLUB.

GO THE BLOODS.
mikeme
mikeme

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2017-03-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella on Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:22 am

mikeme,

we will still be here so please continue to drop in and have a chat.

Its interesting why they are going to Facebook and removing the link to this site.
WHY CANNOT THE LINKS TO BOTH SITES CAN BE RETAINED ON THE CLUB WEB PAGE
Probably the modern way of doing things I suspect  
I SEE NO REASON

When one considers that the previous board had budgeted for a profit this year and taking into consideration the new direction of professional appointed business person on the Board then I look forward to the Presidents announcement at the end of the year of the club making a profit again ---- one would presume given the new direction then a profit larger than previously predicted would seem a realistic presumption or else the effectiveness of the new direction is debatable.

I was extremely pleased to see the following comment on the Strategy Plan, quote "the first stage of the plan will be finalized and documented on Friday 9th August at a meeting of directors. We will then be in a position to share our future direction strategies at a meeting with SANFL to be held late in September." end quote.

The Board is to be highly commended for producing this document in a timely fashion and I eagerly await for the President to advise members of this stage 1 plan hopefully before the SANFL is briefed.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Oldfella
Oldfella

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine on Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:13 am

mikeme wrote:As This could be my last post through the website due to the Presidents message above (which i find a little underwhelming) I thank all for entertaining the readers with some good banter, robust discussions and above all The Undying Support and Passion for the WEST ADELAIDE FOOTBALL CLUB.

GO THE BLOODS.

Keep posting, mikeme, the site will continue as normal.

Right with you in your thoughts and wishes for the mighty Bloods.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Number of posts : 969
Registration date : 2014-05-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Mockingjay on Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:34 am

mikeme wrote:As This could be my last post through the website due to the Presidents message above (which i find a little underwhelming) I thank all for entertaining the readers with some good banter, robust discussions and above all The Undying Support and Passion for the WEST ADELAIDE FOOTBALL CLUB.

GO THE BLOODS.

I hope that this won't be your last post to the "old Forum". That would be sad. I am concerned that the present Board, through the agency of the current President and CEO, is trying to censor legitimate dissent among supporters. Any comments made via the Facebook page would able to be "controlled" by the Club's management. It is worrying the way this Club is being managed.
Mockingjay
Mockingjay

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2018-11-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Mockingjay on Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:55 am

[quote="Oldfella"]
https://westadelaidefc.com.au/news/presidents-message-to-members-and-supporters-august-2019/

[i]President’s Message to Members and Supporters – August 2019

"...I mentioned in my last message that the board will be focussed on a strategic planning process. This is of particular importance to the club, because it’s imperative that our three-year plan is locked in place and becomes our blueprint for long-term growth and stability..."

With due respect to the current Board, I find it highly amusing that this current bunch thinks that it is re-inventing the wheel.  Surely,  previous Boards have also had plans in place,  but perhaps those plans did not sit so well with the SANFL hierarchy?  Also, this Board only has a short-term tenure and surely subsequent Boards may also have their own plans for the future.  Blue-prints are all well and good but let us see results.

Mockingjay
Mockingjay

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2018-11-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella on Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:00 am

Mockingjay ---- Bingo  Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Oldfella
Oldfella

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeme on Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:28 am

Okay, this may be my last post Through the website reiterate the website as a means to gain access to the forum.
I will continue to post in the forum (web based not Facebook) and hopefully bring some joy and entertainment along the way
Possibly a daily Blog - a day in the life of a Bloods Supporter....or The Lows and Lows of a Bloods Supporter..... or the Rise and Fall Many Times of a Bloods Supporter.
Short story Long I will still be around.

Go The Bloods.
mikeme
mikeme

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian on Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:23 pm

"I pointed out to the players that success can be found in many of our endeavours – just look around. Success breeds success. On-field success will follow as part of our overall successes. "

Anyone know what these successes are that we'll see if we just look around? Seriously, I don't know what he's referring to.

And the proposal that we have to get to some financial position before we can start thinking about a full salary cap is not what I want to hear from my club. That's the SANFL's position, it shouldn't be ours as it's the wrong way around. Let us be competitive and our financial position will improve.
aldo russian
aldo russian

Number of posts : 683

Back to top Go down

Post by RODH2 on Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:33 pm

Strong on rhetoric, weak on action and facts, this President's message.
RODH2
RODH2

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2015-03-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Hotdip on Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:56 pm

This is amazing if anyone critizied the old board they would be barred from this site
Sounds like we have a couple of former board members on here being very critical on here
Have forum rules changed
Hotdip
Hotdip

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2017-06-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella on Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:07 pm

Selective memory my friend ---- No one was barred for fair criticism of the board, club staff or players ---- posters were banned for abusive or threatening posts.

Specifically, "There is no bar whatsoever to criticism of the club and its football and other operations on this forum, but clear personal vendettas and attacks on other posters won't be tolerated"

For the record I have never been on the board or any committee of the West Adelaide Football Club. The only former Board member who has posted on here in recent times is Lee and in none of his posts has he been critical of the new board in fact has been not only personally supportive but has also called on all to get behind the new Board and its President.

Oldfella
Oldfella

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine on Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:04 pm

And I will again ask all members to support the President and the Board. It is a difficult job and the Board are all doing their best for the club.

There is nothing to stop criticism of decisions, though, as long as it isn't abusive. Healthy debate is a sign of an inclusive club and the posters on here are long-term, passionate supporters, many of whom have served the club over very long periods of our history.

Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by Hotdip on Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:45 pm

How pathetic is this site when you get deleted in less than 5 mins
Hotdip
Hotdip

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine on Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:53 pm

You'll be pleased to know then that you won't have to worry about the site, hotdip.

You've been on the site for over 2 years and have never posted a word about football. It's just been a constant stream of personal sniping.

It's people like you who hold our club back, IMO.

Banned, happily.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by Hotdip on Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:13 pm

So you are not allowed to have a opinion
Hotdip
Hotdip

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:28 pm

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. 99% of posters have never had a post deleted.

Being on the site for over 2 years and never saying a word about football,with every post a whinge of personal attack against site rules is a long overdue ban.

The club is going through a difficult time and the last thing it needs is you posting constant personal attacks on behalf of others.

There have been plenty of warnings

Let's get behind Gavin and the club and forget the personal attacks. It's what has held us back for so long. Get behind the Board and Club.

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2015-06-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Hotdip on Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:36 pm

So mockingjay and Rodh2 are allowed to say what they want must be brothers
Hotdip
Hotdip

Back to top Go down

Post by RODH2 on Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:39 pm

Mockingjay is not my brother. Shocked
RODH2
RODH2

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2015-03-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella on Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:48 pm

Hotdip,

it was me who requested Admin to delete your previous post as it was wrong on several basic grounds IMO for the following reasons. Firstly i felt it was a clear personal vendetta directed attack on a member of this forum who by the way pays for this forum, out of his own pocket for the enjoyment of Westies supporters. Secondly, your suggestion that he posts under another name (mockingjay) is just incorrect as mockingjay is the wrong genders.

In regards to the quick deletion of your previous post this occurred because as I came on line at home I noted you were online, given your previous negative and personal attack type postings I waited/watched and as soon as I read your post contacted the site admin with my request. For the record, it also was me that has previously and again requested the site admin taking into account your previous negative postings and after several attempts to try and guide you on site posting behavior to strongly consider suspending or banning your posting rights which it seems they determined to support.

Yes, one can have an opinion on this site and also argue that point WITH RESPECT for other posters - look a few posts ago and as you see from my previous post to you specifically "There is no bar whatsoever to criticism of the club and its football and other operations on this forum, but clear personal vendettas and attacks on other posters won't be tolerated" also read Lees posts on same matter that clearly answers your question.

Finally, most on this site know that "Oldfella" is Life Member Tom Winter which I am quite happy for other posters to know as I feel no need to be a cowardly keyboard warrior ---- however, in your case DW given your ongoing long term negative campaign which to me seems a clear personal vendetta against someone who has given years of service to the club and continues to do so to this day whilst hiding behind the anonymous site name seems a bit weak.

Oldfella
Oldfella

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine on Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:06 pm

Yesterday I watched the Under 18's lose by 10 goals. Today I watched the Reserves and League lose by 10 goals. Like all of us, I feel down about where we're at.

I went to presentations to show support, along with many true supporters.  We'll all be there next week.

Given our position, I'd alreAdy offered any help I can give to Murray Forbes, our President.  

After such a day, I've got no time for a poster whose only reaction to today is to use this forum to abuse.

Enough of the agendas, we need to support the Board and the Club. I'll be attending the upcoming sponsors' get-together as a proud sponsor of our women's team and continue to do what I can for our club.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeme on Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:10 am

I did not see anything of the Under 18's game so cannot comment on that.
However I did see all of the reserves and league games so I guess i can comment on them.
Did either team deserve to lose by the margins that they did (46 and 65), I'm gonna say NO.
Reserves got off to a slow start - Maybe 10.20am is too early for them - But i felt they battled on well after that. Bentley, Anderson and Noonan (second half) were good for us. other players drifted in and out so clearly more consistency needed. Win the next 2 - play finals simple.

League team again in it up to their eyeballs at 3 quarter time but again faded out on the scoreboard.
All players still did not give in and were busting the proverbial off until the final siren as they have done all year without a lot of success (no sh!t Sherlock i hear you all say).
But one thing is certain, they will front up again on Saturday after a six day break to play the top side coming of a 13 day break (unlucky 13 could be the omen we are looking for) and again they will work their Butts off for themselves, for the Club and for us - the Faithful supporters. Who knows bigger boil-overs have occurred but you cant win if you think you cant win.

GO THE BLOODS
mikeme
mikeme

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella on Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:23 am

Great post

Oldfella
Oldfella

Back to top Go down

Post by Lachlan on Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:50 pm

I think the players commitment to the contest has been there all year, the simple plain facts are we don’t have enough quality league players.

Even when had a full playing list at the start of the year we were competitive, however we weren’t winning games.
We need to find 9 or 10 quality SANFL Players in 2020. The Recruiting Committee are going to Have RECRUIT better than they ever have.
Lachlan
Lachlan

Number of posts : 595

Back to top Go down

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum