Westies v Crows Reserves

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Go down

Westies v Crows Reserves Empty Westies v Crows Reserves

Post by blackandred on Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:25 pm

Late in the game when you’re team is getting belted you start taking notice of a whole lot of stuff that you otherwise wouldn’t see.

For example, the Crows Ressies had 7 players out there that were not listed in the Footy Budget. There may have been good reasons for this but it doesn’t reflect well on the official publication (why buy it?) For general interest the numbers were: 4, 11, 17, 31, 58, 59 and 73.

Also, we couldn’t get over how Josh Ryan and his opponent, Josh Jenkins looked like they were twins, separated at birth.

The umpiring was terrible. It looks as though they are intimidated by the AFL presence as they favoured the one side well over the other. 50/50 frees always went the Crows way. HTB was paid quickly against us but seemed to take ages to pay against the Crows. Still, we would say that. Why don’t they publish the frees for and against? They used to.

Chris Schmidt is the Generalissimo of our team. He sets up our play and we fall away when he goes to the bench for a break. Logan Hill plays a similar role down back. K Stevens best IMO.

Fitness, physical or mental let us down again as we had our usual scoreless Q. This time the last Q when we struggled to get it past centre. It was not for the lack of trying but we were outnumbered, outgunned, outrun, outmarked and outmuscled all day and we were spent at 3Q time. In our last 6 games we have been outscored in the last Q by 23 goals to 3. We have failed to score a goal in the last Q in 4 of our last 6 games.

Any idea of crowd number? It was one of the smallest turnouts for a while.
blackandred
blackandred

Number of posts : 170
Registration date : 2013-09-25

Back to top Go down

Westies v Crows Reserves Empty Re: Westies v Crows Reserves

Post by Lee Harradine on Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:37 pm

Good report, B&R.

The official crowd was 1101. Most I spoke to thought it was less than 800. Either way, it was the lowest crowd I've ever seen at a SANFL game at Richmond.

I agree that the team played its heart out, but fitness is a huge issue. I wonder if it was the first game where we had more handballs than kicks?

Gavin spoke well after the game and at presentations and those present strongly showed their support.

Better days ahead.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Number of posts : 990
Registration date : 2014-05-24

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce cameron on Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:07 pm

Lee Harradine wrote:Good report, B&R.

The official crowd was 1101.  Most I spoke to thought it was less than 800.  Either way, it was the lowest crowd I've ever seen at a SANFL game at Richmond.

I agree that the team played its heart out, but fitness is a huge issue.  I wonder if it was the first game where we had more handballs than kicks?

Gavin spoke well after the game and at presentations and those present strongly showed their support.

Better days ahead.

I agree. I doubt it was 1101. Really feel for the players.

I just can't believe we are not fit. Gavin told us at the AGM that the players had done everything asked of them during the pre season. We've played 16 home and away games and trained at least twice a week. So how can we not be fit. Isn't it more likely that those players we rely on the most fatigue late in games and we don't have enough other options. I don't know, hard to tell because the quarter by quarter stats aren't available on the website. Nor are the free kicks. Why not? Someone must be recording them.

I wasn't there for presentations, but Gavin seems to have everyone's respect and is rated highly as a coach. Given the season that we've had, that is quite remarkable. The players put in the effort, so really there is only one real issue. We are deficient in several key areas. A restored salary cap will at least help to fix some of these and if nothing else help boost morale.

There needs to be, and soon.
bruce cameron
bruce cameron

Number of posts : 117
Registration date : 2015-02-12

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian on Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:25 pm

It was no fun watching that. The effort seems to be there, gotta give the players that, but the belief just dissipates as the game wears on. Three of our 5 goals were gifted to us really by poor turnovers; outside that we generated two goals for the match.
I still don't understand why we play as if we have 3 tall forwards when we clearly don't. So often we kick inside 50 to a small player who is outnumbered. And I don't understand how we have failed to improve at all in stemming the flow of goals and scoring shots from stoppages in our defensive 50. Are we just not setting up the way we're instructed to?
The players will do well to keep pushing to the finish line in a couple of weeks, so we can all put this unfortunate season behind us.
aldo russian
aldo russian

Number of posts : 691

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella on Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:05 pm

blackandred wrote:Chris Schmidt is the Generalissimo of our team. He sets up our play and we fall away when he goes to the bench for a break. Logan Hill plays a similar role down back. K Stevens best IMO.

We have all questioned the teams fitness be it physical or mental which is clearly letting us down and identified by Gavin in his post match briefings.

As I have suggested before and "blackandred" refers to I believe it is clearly the lack of numbers of quality experienced hard at it footballers that are getting tired late in the game combined with the young age/experience of the rest of the side that is causing the drop off in performance.

Chris, Stevo and Logan are playing their guts out but the need support.

It is critical that we recruit more hard bodied quality experienced players so that these Champions are supported ------- given the sad recruiting situation and the young age of the overall squad we must recruit multiple of these type of players over getting one high class footballer --- glad I am not on the recruiting commitee as it is a thankless and shackled task.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Life long passionate supporter
Oldfella
Oldfella

Number of posts : 544
Job/hobbies : Retired due to being certified mad

Back to top Go down

Post by blacky on Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:07 pm

Free kicks were
Westies 16
Cow's 22
I use the footy live app much better than the sanfl one
Shows all stats
blacky

Number of posts : 132
Registration date : 2011-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeme on Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:25 pm

Just a shout out to all the support staff.

Week in week out they show up and give what is required with little thanks (especially externally).

So to all the Guys and Gals doing Physio, running water, Ditts and his team, I say THANK YOU.

Lets hope our team improves so that coming to the club 4-5 times a week that you all do becomes more of a pleasure next year rather than the grind it has been the last couple of years.

Again, THANK YOU.
mikeme
mikeme

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2017-03-27

Back to top Go down

Post by blacky on Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:56 pm

Could not have said it better
blacky

Number of posts : 132
Registration date : 2011-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Lachlan on Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:34 pm

We were simply outclassed. We lack depth and I think that is one of the reasons why our last arts have been very poor this season. We rely on to few to do to much.

The players fitness level needs to be questioned and I’m sure the Fitness Coach and his programme will be reviewed very thoughtfully at seasons end.

Our last year 4 years have been totally unacceptable and we need to make changes on field urgently
Lachlan
Lachlan

Number of posts : 599

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolfman Jack on Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:06 pm

Does anyone have any news on Logan Hill?
He was admitted to hospital after the game last night.
Wolfman Jack
Wolfman Jack

Number of posts : 68
Job/hobbies : Retired
Registration date : 2013-10-04

Back to top Go down

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum