West v Norwood

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Go down

West v Norwood Empty West v Norwood

Post by aldo russian on Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:50 am

For our final game of the season we reversed our usual pattern, playing our worst football in the first quarter and then scrapping it out for the rest of the game. The first quarter was a continuation of the horrible effort we put in in the last two quarters against Glenelg. Coughing up the footy too easily by foot and by hand, Norwood clearing from stoppages under no pressure - mainly because Baulderstone was just doing as he pleased - and looking disorganised and uncertain.

From then on we seemed to have more than our fair share of the footy but were not skilful enough to turn that into goals, adding only 3 in the middle two quarters. We got some shocking, unfair umpiring calls along the way. We were a stupid chance to catch them in the last quarter but again our poor kicking skills, this time in front of goal, from Hupfeld, Kirk and Schmidt, ensured we never closed the gap.

Keough's last 2 and 1/2 quarters were very good, Ryan was again very reliable and Murray Waite worked hard and was very elusive at times. The make-up of our side needs to look very different next season. And we need to work out how to move the ball quickly into the forward line to our advantage, and then how to score.
aldo russian
aldo russian

Number of posts : 700
Registration date : 2013-09-25

Back to top Go down

West v Norwood Empty Re: West v Norwood

Post by Lachlan on Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:38 am

After the first qrt the players knuckled down and were competitive for the rest of the match.
I Thought Dunkin and Schmidt were our best players.
We had opportunities to impact the score board, however we simply don’t have a forward line that is capable of kicking a winning score.

As a supporter and Silver Member the end of the year couldn’t have come quick enough.
As a club we cannot accept the past 4 years and now we need to recruit better than we have ever done before. The next 2 or 3 months are so critical to our club.
Lachlan
Lachlan

Number of posts : 616

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolf Pack on Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:30 pm

Well, another season done.
Probably our worst season since 2016 where we only won 2 games.
From our 2019 squad there are plenty of outs.
Middleton, Bates, Burgess, Noble, Wasley-Black and Snelling.
Of course there will be a few more.
We should be able to get a few players, otherwise it will be the same old story.
As a member, I pay my money and I, like many others are getting to the point where the interest level is declining.
Recruiting and Fitness need a big overhaul.
I will watch the off season with interest.
Wolf Pack
Wolf Pack

Number of posts : 340
Registration date : 2013-09-27

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce cameron on Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:44 pm

Fitness wasn't an issue last night. Is that because we waited for 1/4 time before we began. Norwood often manage to get the jump on us and then, even if we win the remaining quarters, the result has already been decided. This was the case last night. The upside is, we outplayed one of last year's grand finalists for three quarters and our performance would have been outstanding if we knew how to convert our opportunies.  For all our hard work and dominance over three quarters we still only managed six goals for the game. A lack of disipline cost us at least one goal. The lesson, a goal is not a goal until the all clear has been given. At the time we had Norwood under pressure around the ground and had a chance to increase this via the scoreboard. Westies demonstrated last night that they might not be the basket case they appear to be. We certainly can't afford to buy a new team or even half a team. What we urgently need are 4-6 bigger bodied players who can take an overhead mark and kick accurately. These are unlikely to be established players who could slot straight in. These players would probably be out of our price range, depending on how many players we lose during the off season and whether or not we operate with a full salary cap.
We must work towards developing a forward line capable of kicking winning scores.  Coaches love talking about structures, processes and the importance of one percenters. They then usually follow this up by adding that if you get these elements right, the rest will take care of itself. Our forward set up has been dysfunctional all year. How often have we brought the ball into our forward half only to find that no one's home, so we hold the play up in order to allow our players time to get forward. This never works. In fact last night, our forwards were nearly always outnumbered by Norwood defenders.
Recruiting needs to focus on the type/size players we need. We also need to find players who have a real desire to be successful at this level and are prepared to do what is required to get there. We need to identify these players now!
bruce cameron
bruce cameron

Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2015-02-12

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian on Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:12 pm

That's what I'd like to know bruce - is our dysfunctional forward set up, i.e. having no one to kick to, or being outnumbered, or only having smalls to aim at, due to the players not following instructions, not understanding instructions or is it a problem with the instructions/structures themselves?
aldo russian
aldo russian

Number of posts : 700

Back to top Go down

Post by Lachlan on Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:04 pm

If my brutally honest I think another problem with our forward line is the Personnel. Middleton,Beech and Bates our best forwards didn’t play together. When you are basically 200 points worse than any other side in the Comp for points scored it tells me we need to find some goal kickers.
Lachlan
Lachlan

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine on Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:34 am

I'd think most of us greeted the siren at 1/4 time with the thought that 'only another 3 quarters to end this miserable season'.  The coach and the players didn't.

Let's face it, the first quarter was diabolical.  We trailed by 37 points during the quarter and hadn't scored.  The teams then shared 2 goals each.  From that time, we more than matched Norwood and finished with a remarkable 55% possession, something that rarely happens, even in a one-sided contest.

What that shows, of course, is that we couldn't convert opportunity into goals, something that has been constant, due to our lack of forward marking targets.  Without Beech and Middleton, or Bates to add some zip, we were often having to expect Kenny Karpany to take overhead marks under pressure.  Good to see Kenny's improved kicking for goal this year, though.

It's a funny thing that such despair at 1/4 time that we couldn't compete, finished up with a number of good players on the day.  Pat Levicki froze at full-forward for the first quarter in a move that was worth a try, but was then given a defensive role after that and was very effective.  Dunkin roamed across the ground and played well, Murray Waite showed his speed and has come along strongly this year.  Hugh Haysman was lively, Riley Thilthorpe had the numerous AFL scouts at the game searching their Thesauruses for new superlatives, Josh Ryan blanketed his opponent, Dallas Willsmore keeps getting better and Tom Keough had a good game, as did Aaron Anderson and we lifted all over the ground.

So we finished on a better note than looked likely, with a team way under the best we need to compete for finals in the future.  The fact is that we finished with the wooden spoon and we need to rectify that with strong attention to the football side of what is a football club.  Our crowds were down on a poor 2018 figure and that will continue while we're handicapped by the SANFL, in their wisdom.

As usual, I ventured to Glenelg Oval to watch our Under 18's yesterday. It's a nice antidote to watching us lose at senior level and to see the talent we have coming through to raise our spirits in a year or two.

The 18's, sitting 2nd, didn't turn up to play.  They fumbled, their work rate was down badly and they seemed to be chasing guernseys.  The coach, who rarely if ever raises his voice, gave them some home truths at half-time and we saw a different team come out.  At first it was an arm wrestle, then we gradually got on top, although the result was in doubt until the final minutes.  Joel Groom continues to impress as a good decision-maker, Mac Nield looks very likely, Bailey Fielke added important dash late in the game, while Beau Nunan kicked 4 goals to, I think, take his tally to over 50 for the season as a small forward.  Michael Laudato and Noah Hannigan had quiet games, but the side lifted to earn the double chance.  They'll be up against a powerful Eagles outfit, but will perhaps regain Thilthorpe, Sinderberry, Will Day (what a polished performance in the Reserves, thought he might have been given a league game), Kelsh, Wooldridge, Bock and others.

So the season ends at senior level with us at a low ebb and action needed to bolster the football department, in my view.  Hopefully the new business Board will report a nicely increased profit and channel some of that money into better resources for our football department.

This year we recruited Levicki, Willsmore, Snelling.  We now have to try to recruit further with a restricted cap and entice players to come to a club with a 2-16 record.  Won't be easy, but is essential to keep supporters coming.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Number of posts : 1017
Registration date : 2014-05-24

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce cameron on Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:11 pm

Lee Harradine wrote:
This year we recruited Levicki, Willsmore, Snelling.  We now have to try to recruit further with a restricted cap and entice players to come to a club with a 2-16 record.  Won't be easy, but is essential to keep supporters coming.

I just hope the board understand this. The majority of long term members will continue to buy memberships, some will not. Will supporters suddenly decide to buy a membership? Why would they, when it's not certain we will be competitive next year. Four sub standard years must be affecting our membership. Non members can attend the early rounds and simply bail out if we have a disasterous start. Buying a membership is an investment. The business orientated board need to be doing all they can to please their investors. The board has announced that they intend to embark on a membership drive. I would be interested to know who they will be targeting and what increase they expect to achieve.
Some innovative thinking is required. Asking current members to provide a name or names of associates who may be interested in buying a membership is well and good, but is not likely to grow membership significantly. We have board members who are/have been successful retailers. They should know how to market a product. If they can't sell enough of that product, they need to come up with a different product, albeit a modified product. eg could access to the club's gym be included as a membership option - meal deals - drinks packages etc
Also, can we live stream Westies games into the bar area. I don't know if this is already done because I'm up watching the game. There must be several supporters/members who don't attend away games - provide an exclusive area where they can watch these games with other Westies supporters
Of course, nothing will be as effective as a run of successful seasons. How often has the club been able to cash in on a successful run. We win a flag and then, in the blink of an eye, we are back in the bottom three, especially when we only manage a flag every 32 years.
bruce cameron
bruce cameron

Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2015-02-12

Back to top Go down

Post by LukeO9 on Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:39 pm

A win could have given cheer to all loyal fans and hope for next season.
At 1/2 time,  and even more so at 3/4 time, there was a sense that this could happen.
In fact, it could well have happened, but 5 consecutive points into the final quarter served supporters the same downer as they have generally received all season.
A fitting end.
LukeO9
LukeO9

Number of posts : 120
Registration date : 2014-05-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Lachlan on Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:17 pm

An end to a very poor season. We deserved to finish bottom given our performance all year. The Playing group try, but they simply aren’t good enough. We are light years away from playing finals based on the current playing group.

I gree with Lee more resources are needed in the football dept. The Coach and also the CEO must ensure the club Recruits AGGRESSIVELY.
We do have reduced salary cap, however we have lost a number of well paid players from our list which means we have funds to recruit strongly.

The board simply cannot accept another year like this.
I’m not sure how the board can go on a Membership drive when our last 4 years have been woeful. I don’t think new members will join a club who’s performances are sub standard.

The board has been able to secure Gavin for the next 2 years which is good.
WHAT WE NEED FROM THE BOARD OR CEO IS AN EMAIL TO ALL MEMBERS ON WHAT THEIR STRATEGY IS TO IMPROVE THE FOOTBALL SIDE OF THE BUSINESS IN 2020.

Another year like the last 4 simply cannot be tolerated.

Lachlan
Lachlan

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella on Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:36 pm

Lachlan wrote:
WHAT WE NEED FROM THE BOARD OR CEO  IS AN EMAIL TO ALL MEMBERS ON WHAT THEIR STRATEGY IS TO IMPROVE THE FOOTBALL SIDE OF THE BUSINESS IN 2020.

Well said mate

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Life long passionate supporter
Oldfella
Oldfella

Number of posts : 564
Job/hobbies : Retired due to severe clinical depression

Back to top Go down

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum