Ladder

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Go down

Ladder Empty Ladder

Post by RODH2 on Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:50 pm

So where does North's win today leave us on the Ladder......don't think I really want to know.........!?
RODH2
RODH2

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2015-03-28

Back to top Go down

Ladder Empty Re: Ladder

Post by blacky on Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:11 pm

Bottom
blacky

Number of posts : 131
Registration date : 2011-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian on Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:55 pm

Can anyone at the club play the spoons?
We've won 10 of them in my time following the club. 10 spoons and 2 flags is a very poor ratio.
aldo russian
aldo russian

Number of posts : 683
Registration date : 2013-09-25

Back to top Go down

Post by loppy19 on Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:50 am

A well earned wooden spoon if you ask me, clearly the worst team all year.
I have never been less interested in Westies (yes I attended regulalry when we got smashed season after season) and barely have the desire attend anymore.
4 years of a road to nowhere and more uncertainty ahead for 2020.
By any metric, 2019 has been an utter and total failure, 10 wooden spoons and 2 premierships in my lifetime pretty much sums it up.
The message coming from the new board is unclear, uninspiring and frankly, more of the same blah blah - "we will get better, we need members to dig into their pockets", blah blah blah.
loppy19
loppy19

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2013-09-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Mockingjay on Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:12 am

RODH2 wrote:So where does North's win today leave us on the Ladder......don't think I really want to know.........!?

I think all Westies fans feel the same "RODH2".   However, I am sure SANFL heavyweights, Olson and Parkinson, and their hangers-on will be delighted.  After seemingly orchestrating the demise of a true Westies' Board and then demoralising  fans and footballers by using their political power to limit the Club's ability to recruit, it must give them some satisfaction to see Westies at the bottom of the Ladder. One would think that the Club will inevitably be in a worse financial situation because of this in the near future. The question that needs to be answered is if this is not what the SANFL hierarchy intended, what was their motivation?  Beats me.
Mockingjay
Mockingjay

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2018-11-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella on Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:03 pm

Mockinjay

Its not hard to figure out to me ------- on a financial basis (sponsorship/membership)the SANFL competition can only just support 8 teams however I believe there is a desire to bring in other clubs from outer Adelaide or rural areas (Mt Barker-Victor) so they need to lose some of the original clubs to make room and the fact there is 3 original teams to the west then logical one should go.

For those that think I am mad just remember that the SANFL has attempted on more than one occasion in the past to either remove from competition or force amalgamation on westies.

I hope I am wrong but only matter time before we will be advised westies is amalgamating with club ??? and sadly given the power granted to the board by member we members will be able to do jack s*** about it.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Life long passionate supporter
Oldfella
Oldfella

Number of posts : 535
Job/hobbies : Retired due to being certified mad

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce cameron on Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:03 pm

Mockingjay wrote:
RODH2 wrote:So where does North's win today leave us on the Ladder......don't think I really want to know.........!?

I think all Westies fans feel the same "RODH2".   However, I am sure SANFL heavyweights, Olson and Parkinson, and their hangers-on will be delighted.  After seemingly orchestrating the demise of a true Westies' Board and then demoralising  fans and footballers by using their political power to limit the Club's ability to recruit, it must give them some satisfaction to see Westies at the bottom of the Ladder. One would think that the Club will inevitably be in a worse financial situation because of this in the near future. The question that needs to be answered is if this is not what the SANFL hierarchy intended, what was their motivation?  Beats me.

I can't work it out either, Mockingjay. Considering the actions taken over the past several months, it is difficult to ignore thoughts of a conspiracy. The way that the new board was created was a farce. Why couldn't these new board members stand for election? The reason given was rubbish. The focus on finances while ignoring the football department is ill conceived. Unless we begin to have on field success soon, starting next year, our financial situation will continue to deteriorate due to falling memberships and attendances. As a member, I'm generally disappointed with the president's address to members. They contain few details, particularly relating to the football department. Furthermore, the recent removing of the forum link from the website was unnecessary and seems like an attempt at some form of censorship, another attempt to disenfranchise members. I am very concerned about the future of my club and hope that my fears are not warranted.
Some weeks ago I wrote to the SANFL expressing my concerns. I sent the same letter by email and to this point have not received a formal response. See copy of the letter below:

Hi Jake and Adam,
I am a passionate West Adelaide Football Club supporter and have been for over 50 years. Despite modest success during this period, I have enjoyed following my club through the good times and the bad. As long as we showed enough to keep my hope buoyant, I was happy. I much prefer the local league to the over produced/marketed AFL product. The SANFL is affordable, free for those under 18, and readily accessible. I enjoy the banter between fans as it is usually light hearted and amusing. My family supports the club by buying memberships, merchandise and patronising the bar and bistro. My special needs son, Sean, loves interacting with other supporters and the players, several who take the time to speak to him and ask him how his team is going. Sean plays for Goodwood Saints in the Inclusive League. In short, the SANFL competition allows a level of participation not possible at the national level. This needs to be cherished and protected at all costs.

You would agree that as a custodian of the SANFL, you are responsible for maintaining a healthy and entertaining competition. I understand that there are some things you just have to accept, such as the impact that the creation of a national league has had on the local competition. However, there are many things that should have been done better, one of which is how you market our competition. I along with many others despair at falling attendances and wonder why more is not being done to address the decline. The inclusion of AFL Reserves teams has been a huge failure. It has damaged the integrity of the competition and done nothing for attendances.

The late preseason draft and the mid-season draft are unnecessary and show a total disregard for the local teams. South Adelaide, like Westies and Glenelg, have been treated with absolute contempt. The Panthers have not won a flag since 1964 and Glenelg since 1986. South lost Brooksby and McLean just two weeks from Round 1 and their replacement ruckman, Knoll (state no 1 ruckman) to the mid-season draft. Glenelg lost Hosie (leading SANFL goal kicker) to the mid-season draft. Westies lost their best two performing players. No compensation was paid. SANFL clubs need to pay transfer fees when they recruit from each other. How is this fair? How do these teams adjust? They can’t.

I know you sympathise with this position but, the SANFL needs to get on the front foot and demand either respect or compensation from the AFL. Jake has stated that the SANFL will continue to stand firm in our opposition to a mid-season draft, however what does standing firm mean. I recently signed a petition protesting the mid-season draft knowing that it would have little impact. Something more visible needs to take place so that the media can cover it thereby gaining exposure for our plight. The AFL needs to cop some heat over this. The wider community needs to empathise with our situation. If the AFL can be shown to be wielding its power unnecessarily over a relatively weak state league, then they might just be embarrassed enough to listen to our protests. Why not organise a pride day when the supporters of the eight standalone clubs make their way onto the ground at half time to celebrate the sense of community that local footy provides, while at the same time highlighting the injustice of a mid-season draft. Choose the right round when crowds are likely to be higher and get the clubs to work with you to make this happen. At one of the games, maybe the seconds could start a bit early to allow a game between two of the inclusive teams. We need to be promoting what makes the local league unique.

A corporation which makes a $1/2 billion profit can afford to support a league which provides its fair share of AFL players, and in the case of Westies more than its fair share. Not only can they afford it, but are morally bound to do so. Or is the AFL planning for our league to become nothing more than a feeder competition for their clubs? If this happens, then the SANFL would have lost its heart and soul.

What bothers me even more than the above is the treatment of the West Adelaide Football Club at the hands of the SANFL and the current board. We have had a reduced salary cap for the past three seasons which is having a devastating impact on the football club. The current, ‘nominated’, board seem to be supporting this measure in an effort to address our financial situation. Is a reduced salary cap being forced on the club in return for funding? This strategy is ill conceived and defies logic. For a football club to survive it needs to have enough on field success to retain its members and supporters who are responsible for delivering significant revenue. The current measures will not have the desired effect. If I was tasked with the job of destroying a football club, I would reduce expenditure indefinitely in the football department, and then sit back and watch it fall to pieces.

Just have a look at the vision of Sunday’s debacle, a team made up of primarily AFL listed players, playing a team which has had the guts ripped out of it. Was this a good look for the competition? And to highlight just how great the gap was between these two teams, to their absolute credit Westies gave 100% while Port ultimately treated it like a training drill. The final margin, albeit great, didn’t truly reflect the disparity between the two teams. Three years of a reduced salary cap has had a cumulative effect on the club. If we assume that the reduced spending has deprived the club of two better than average players each year then we are six players down, add in the two lost to the mid-season draft and it becomes eight, almost half a team. This equation adds up to more than the sum of its parts however, as a sustained lack of success affects morale and makes it even harder to recruit players to the club.

Enough is enough. If I was a conspiracy theorist I would say that this is an attempt to destroy my football club.
I appeal to your intelligence and sense of justice, please allow the WAFC to compete on even terms with the other clubs next year and if you want to reduce salary caps, perhaps you could reduce those of the Crows and Power Reserves teams.
Thank you for taking the time to read this.
I look forward to your reply

bruce cameron
bruce cameron

Number of posts : 111
Registration date : 2015-02-12

Back to top Go down

Post by RODH2 on Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:42 pm

Pretty hard to argue with the above 3 Posters, Mockingjay, Oldfella and bruce cameron.
RODH2
RODH2

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2015-03-28

Back to top Go down

Post by TAAARS on Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:45 pm

Quote: "Sent a letter some weeks ago.........................and to this point have not received a formal response."
Says it all really
TAAARS
TAAARS

Number of posts : 162

Back to top Go down

Post by Lachlan on Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:58 pm

Bruce,

That’s a well written letter, to have not received a response shows a lack of a professionalism by the SANFL.
Maybe you should send a follow up email asking why you haven’t received a response.
Lachlan
Lachlan

Number of posts : 595

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian on Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:02 pm

Brilliant letter Bruce, I agree with you entirely and please keep us informed as to what, if any, response you get.
At the end of the day, the SANFL is supposed to be helping the clubs. They are not helping us. (They might bring up the Footy Park sale funds but that money is the clubs' anyway.)
aldo russian
aldo russian

Number of posts : 683

Back to top Go down

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum