"The Board"

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

"The Board" - Page 2 Empty Re: "The Board"

Post by aldo russian on Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:51 am

Still no movement on this? Are we still without our 2nd member-elected representative? Isn't there supposed to be a Governance Committee? Are they doing anything about this governance issue? And if not, what is the point of having them?
aldo russian
aldo russian

Number of posts : 706

Back to top Go down

Post by Mockingjay on Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:32 am

[quote="bruce Cameron]

"I have a few questions which I would like answers to.
How many financial members existed when the vote was taken?
How many fully understood the implications of the change to the constitution OR how many even knew about the vote?
How many members buy a membership simply to get cheaper entry without taking an active interest in the running of the club?
I am still bewildered as to how this could get over the line. The arguments put forward for the change were ridiculous. There was no logical reason given for the refusal of the current board members to stand for election. The arguments for not voting yes were numerous and compelling. They appeared over several weeks on the forum. If members knew about the meeting and understood the implications then they should have attended or requested a proxy vote. Did the board at the time make every effort to ensure that every member was given the chance to vote? Was a minimum number required to vote before the vote became binding. A quorum should operate thus:
A simple majority is the best way to determine a quorum if you don't have a certain number already listed in the by-laws. Find out the total membership of your organization, and then divide that number in such a way as to have one number greater than the other by one.
So if the membership at the time was divided by two, then that is how many should have voted. I have no idea about the legal requirements, but morally this is what should have happened.
I tend to agree with TAARS, it would be nigh on impossible to get the board back to an elected one, but we need to communicate our displeasure to the board. If the current board can demonstrate success, why would they fear standing for election. Just because members voted for a change to the constitution doesn't mean it can't be undone through another vote.
I don't know what other posters think , but surviving by merging with another team is not surviving at all. I think it was Doug Thomas who answered a question about merging with another club by saying:
We will merge with anyone, as long as we wear red and black, are called the West Adelaide Football Club and play our home games at Richmond Oval."

I came across this old post by Bruce Cameron today. I agree Bruce with everything you say. Like you, many of us would like answers for what has happened to Westies. But it was your reference in the last sentence quoting Doug Thomas that also resonated with me. "Richmond Oval". Those were the days. Perhaps that is part of the problem - now we are so corporatized that we play at "City Mazda" and have a corporatized Board to boot! What good has it done us? Financially struggling and bottom of the ladder.
[/quote]
Mockingjay
Mockingjay

Number of posts : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by Mockingjay on Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:48 am

aldo russian wrote:Still no movement on this? Are we still without our 2nd member-elected representative? Isn't there supposed to be a Governance Committee? Are they doing anything about this governance issue? And if not, what is the point of having them?

I can answer that Aldo. There is no point in having this Governance Committee. There is no point in having this pro-Sanfl business Board at all. On the other hand, congrats. to the Bays for their impressive win. A deserved win, made even better for their stance in refusing extra Sanfl monies which come at the cost of Board surveillance and loss of Club control. Sometimes you have to stick to your principles. Westies is no longer 'running with the pack'. It is on a corporate fun run.
Mockingjay
Mockingjay

Number of posts : 43

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum