On the track or Admin? #detail Smile
RODH2
RODH2

Number of posts : 154

Back to top Go down

INS AND OUTS - Page 4 Empty Re: INS AND OUTS

Post by Lee Harradine on Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:12 pm

brodlach wrote:Hearing one of our available positions maybe “filled”

I think the club would prefer to wait for them to announce it.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Number of posts : 1043

Back to top Go down

Post by brodlach on Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:16 pm

Lee Harradine wrote:

I think the club would prefer to wait for them to announce it.
I agree
brodlach
brodlach

Number of posts : 355

Back to top Go down

Post by brodlach on Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:39 am

We are pleased to announce the selection of Derek Bonner as successor to Graeme Barton in the role of Football Director. This appointment will be effective from the Annual General Meeting in February 2020. Derek will be working closely with Graeme over the coming weeks as he prepares to take over this exciting and demanding role. After having had a history with Westies as U13 development coach, U16 and U17 assistant coach, as well as being league runner and being involved in match selection with Andrew Collins, Derek took over as Senior Football Director at Goodwood Saints Football Club in 2016.

On being selected as Football Director for Westies, Derek said, “The West Adelaide Football Club has been a big part of my life, from coaching, to being involved at the senior level with Andrew Collins, to watching my son come through the elite development pathway. I’m so honoured to be given this opportunity and I look forward to working closely with Gavin Colville, the playing group and CEO Ben Hopkins.”

We welcome Derek and look forward to him playing an integral part in the success of Westies in the years to come.

At this time, we also extend our gratitude to Graeme Barton for the contribution he has made to the club over many years. The Club will appropriately acknowledge Graeme closer to the official end of his tenure.
brodlach
brodlach

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine on Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:49 pm

Unfortunately not. Gone to Norwood.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian on Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:09 pm

We don't seem to be making a very good impression on our targets.
aldo russian
aldo russian

Number of posts : 711

Back to top Go down

Post by brodlach on Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:12 pm

aldo russian wrote:We don't seem to be making a very good impression on our targets.
TBH we shouldn’t be surprised, it’s been like this for a decade
brodlach
brodlach

Back to top Go down

Post by Lachlan on Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:15 pm

Aldo

I agree and therefore we need to employ somebody with a profile to our
FOOTBALL MGR’S POSITION.
Lachlan
Lachlan

Number of posts : 630

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine on Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:40 pm

FWIW, I wrote a paper to the Board on the options we had regarding the salary cap, a couple of years or so ago, hoping to have a full salary cap at that time.

I set out the various scenarios and this is what I said about continuing to accept SANFL money, but having a restricted cap:

More financially viable

Finishing position locked in at 7th to 10th into the future

High risk of coach leaving

Minimal recruiting, leading to member and supporter dissatisfaction

Decreased match day income, possible loss of sponsorship and bar and bistro income resulting.

West Adelaide remains a bottom half club.

At the Members' Forum, those present might remember that I referred to Glenelg, who had to make the same decision and I stated that they had chosen to be masters of their own destiny.

It's all opinion, of course, but we have some ground to make up, which means we need everyone on board and a unified club.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella on Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:46 pm

Lachlan wrote:Aldo

FOOTBALL MGR’S POSITION.

I not sure I agree that we need to employ somebody with a profile to our FOOTBALL MANAGER’S POSITION as many of the successful existing Football Managers are not high profile.
Sturt – Chris Trapp
South - Warren Ploenges
Norwood - Mark Ross
North - Darryl Wintle
Glenelg - Paul Sandercock
Eagles - Matthew Goldsworthy
Central Districts – Role Not Listed (see below)

Who ever the club appoints to this important role must be qualified to actually do the entire role not just one part---- its too important a role to put in a FIGURE HEAD --- recruiting (whilst important) is only one of many roles within the Football Operations area that the Football Manager need to co-ordinate and manage and I see little in RD resume that indicates he was suited to the full role.

I have fullest confidence that the CEO will identify several correct options for the Boards consideration and appointment.

Whist funds preclude at this time there really is a need for a Senior Recruiting Officer position(under the Football Mangers direction) to undertake all aspects of this important role.

FOOT NOTE ref Centrals -- I am not sure but believe the do not have an overall Manager of Football rather multiple Managers of various areas all reporting to the CEO --- perhaps DT was right LOL

GOOD POST LETHAL but very sad in hind sight if only those others on the board of the time listenned to you hey ---- but then they survived to be on the new board.

Last edited by Oldfella on Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:52 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : New post while editting)

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Life long passionate supporter
Oldfella
Oldfella

Number of posts : 579
Job/hobbies : Retired due to severe clinical depression

Back to top Go down

Post by TAAARS on Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:00 pm

Well to me from the terraces looking in...it looks like being a very poor off season for recruiting ,still time but rapidly running out. If that is the case and with all the players leaving we have also had it looks to me like we are in for a worse season in 2020 than last year. Even worse than under Weeds tenure when we had nothing bar a couple of kids such as Caire.
Now I am asking when are we going to see this great improvement under the new "appointed board" we were promised? Personally I never bought it and still don't and was one of the few that spoke out about it in that meeting with a disappointing 10% of the membership bothering to show up.
To me it looks like we have a gaggle of mates forlock tugging to the SANFL running the show who's only interested in the position and no doubt being invited to the SANFL's corporate box on AFL game days.
I will likely get banned for this rant but so what,I have had enough of 5 minutes of sunshine then back to the bottom. I can tell you Tea Tree gully in the amateurs who also play in the red and black are looking real good just now. At least they win a few games.
TAAARS
TAAARS

Number of posts : 172

Back to top Go down

Post by brodlach on Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:05 pm

Oldfella wrote:
Lachlan wrote:Aldo

FOOTBALL MGR’S POSITION.

I not sure I agree that we need to employ somebody with a profile to our FOOTBALL MANAGER’S POSITION as many of the successful existing Football Managers are not high profile.
Sturt – Chris Trapp
South - Warren Ploenges
Norwood - Mark Ross
North - Darryl Wintle
Glenelg - Paul Sandercock
Eagles - Matthew Goldsworthy
Central Districts – Role Not Listed (see below)

Who ever the club appoints to this important role must be qualified to actually do the entire role not just one part---- its too important a role to put in a FIGURE HEAD --- recruiting (whilst important) is only one of many roles within the Football Operations area that the Football Manager need to co-ordinate and manage and I see little in RD resume that indicates he was suited to the full role.

I have fullest confidence that the CEO will identify several correct options for the Boards consideration and appointment.

Whist funds preclude at this time there really is a need for a Senior Recruiting Officer position(under the Football Mangers direction) to undertake all aspects of this important role.

FOOT NOTE ref Centrals -- I am not sure but believe the do not have an overall Manager of Football rather multiple Managers of various areas all reporting to the CEO --- perhaps DT was right LOL

GOOD POST LETHAL but very sad in hind sight if only those others on the board of the time listenned to you hey ---- but then they survived to be on the new board.

I’d rather we employ someone who will just go the work to its fulfilment
brodlach
brodlach

Back to top Go down

Post by Mockingjay on Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:55 pm

Oldfella wrote:

Perceptive comment Oldfella. Beats me how they managed to survive.
Mockingjay
Mockingjay

Number of posts : 44

Back to top Go down

Post by brodlach on Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:00 pm

Have people given the new board enough time? We are looking at about 8 months so surely no one thought it was only going to take 8 months to turn the club around? At least a decade of mismanagement is not going to be fixed overnight
brodlach
brodlach

Back to top Go down

Post by Lachlan on Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:00 pm

Old Fella

I appreciate your post, however we are bottom and we need to do something different to other SANFL Clubs. It would have been good to sign Douglas as he would have been a very good person to take on the FM Role. At least when he was speaking to potential recruits they would have known who he was.
Lachlan
Lachlan

Back to top Go down

Post by brodlach on Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:03 pm

Just for the record Norwoods outs since the 2018 GF far outweighed ours

Georgiou, Bartlett, Fuller, Jefferies, Glenn, Phillips, Bode, Dawe and Smart (senior men only).
brodlach
brodlach

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine on Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:21 pm

brodlach, I think you should withdraw your suggestion that there's been a decade of mismanagement.

Unless you can provide evidence, you might reconsider .

The club was insolvent 6 years ago and the last two years it was profitable and with rapidly decreasing debt.

Last year's auditors pointed to the significant improvement under my Board.

I think an apology to that Board and previous Board's might be in order.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella on Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:27 pm

brodlach wrote:Have people given the new board enough time? We are looking at about 8 months so surely no one thought it was only going to take 8 months to turn the club around? At least a decade of mismanagement is not going to be fixed overnight

Fair Question and I agree (as previously posted) that they need time but they still must show signs of improvement in this Financial year given they have been in control for 75% of the Financial Year 2018-2019.

However

FINANCIAL matters only.

Your statement "At least a decade of mismanagement" is very debatable given that the last 2 years the club has shown a profit (small admittedly but still a profit) and has reduced the clubs overall debt position --- at the time the new Board took over the clubs financial position was consistent with the old Boards predictions that is a annual profit was expected.

IF after 8 months of control the new Board reports not just a loss but a reasonably significant one from the previous expected profit position then yes I do feel members should be at minimum asking questions. I feel that any attempt by the new Board to blame the previous Board will be met with the strongest Legal action and a humiliating defeat that will damage the club.

By the end of following financial year (2019-2010) a clearer, fairer picture will ensue for Members to make their judgements not that Members can do much under the Constitution except I suppose request a Vote of No Confidence .

It does need to be remembered that 4 of the new Board Members were Members of the most recent old Board and were also Members of previous Boards in the last 10 years. Given this I find your suggestion wrong and should be withdrawn.

Last edited by Oldfella on Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Oldfella
Oldfella

Back to top Go down

Post by brodlach on Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:30 pm

I was talking about the club in general rather than particular areas.

Our finishing position on the ladder is an indication of how well the club has gone.

I’m sure you did a marvellous job Lee
brodlach
brodlach

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine on Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:44 pm

That's for history to judge, but all Board members, including the current Board, do their best.

At least I can say I put the club first and fought for football, despite the attacks which still continue.

As I've often said, petty bickering and personal agendas are one reason why we struggle as a club.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella on Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:52 pm

To be rated as successful by Members is obviously a judgement of on-field and related activities by the League team but the true test of a clubs success now days must be a combination of this on-field aspect and Financial viability aspect.

Due to the club being insolvent 6 years ago quite rightly the Financial Aspects have taken priority and this along with the previously mentioned enforced Salary Cap SANFL master plan has had a massive effect on the on-field situation (not forgetting the 2015 Premiership of course) --- This is an area of greatest concern which I know the club Board and CEO are working to improve but sadly this area does need time but I genuinely feel that the turn around may occur quicker than we think.

Oldfella
Oldfella

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella on Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:08 pm

Lachlan wrote:Old Fella

I appreciate your post, however we are bottom and we need to do something different to other SANFL Clubs. It would have been good to sign Douglas as he would have been a very good person to take on the FM Role. At least when he was speaking to potential recruits they would have known who he was.

Have a read of comments/inferences in SA Footy discussion about RD and you get a good insight into what the lower club is up against --- its not just brown paper bags as a former club CEO once explained to me.

For once we actually have Salary Cap available however as I have previously said confirmation of a full Salary Cap was 6 months too late for this years recruiting (believe it or not) and we also still need to compete with the stronger clubs in terms of the add-ons to the player recruiting package (clubs ongoing sponsorship efforts are critical to this area) ---- the days of Apprenticeships and/or Groundsmen jobs is gone.

As I have previously suggested --- Whilst like you I would honestly like to recruit several big bodied experienced players I have some faith in the players we have and (given a good injury run) feel we will be competitive we are very vulnerable to any disruptions.

I honestly would not want to be one of the club staff trying to attract and develop new membership in this present time --- I think they do a great job under great stress --- perhaps all Members should take on a goal to bring 1 new Member each to the club.

Oldfella
Oldfella

Back to top Go down

Post by Lachlan on Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:18 pm

As Aldo said in a previous post just because you are bottom shouldn’t stop you Recruiting good players it’s been done by many clubs in the Past.

We just need to get better at it and the appt of a new FOOTBALL MGR will hopefully improve the situation.
Lachlan
Lachlan

Back to top Go down

Post by brodlach on Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:21 pm

Lee Harradine wrote:That's for history to judge, but all Board members, including the current Board, do their best.

At least I can say I put the club first and fought for football, despite the attacks which still continue.

As I've often said, petty bickering and personal agendas are one reason why we struggle as a club.

I think we are on different tracks. I am not having a crack at you or anyone in particular but at the club. I hate “winning” wooden spoons. I detest them and we have had sooo many.

I said I’m sure you did a marvellous job, what else would you like?

You don’t like that not everyone wants to agree with you, let me know if you’d like me to log off and not return.
brodlach
brodlach

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum