Forward Line

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Go down

Forward Line Empty Forward Line

Post by Lachlan on Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:39 pm

Our Forward Line was 200 points worse than the second bottom team last year.

In 2020 it’s absolutely vital we recruit a couple of genuine Forwards especially a Key Forward.
Based on our team right now the only genuine forward we have is Tilthorpe and we won’t see him much next year.

Ben, Gavin and Andrew we need you to Recruit a couple of very good forwards, we have the salary cap. Time for you guys to deliver.
Lachlan
Lachlan

Number of posts : 610
Registration date : 2013-09-25

Back to top Go down

Forward Line Empty Re: Forward Line

Post by aldo russian on Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:58 pm

I share your concern at the moment lachlan.
aldo russian
aldo russian

Number of posts : 698

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce cameron on Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:26 pm

Lachlan wrote:Our Forward Line was 200 points worse than the second bottom team last year.

In 2020 it’s absolutely vital we recruit a couple of genuine Forwards especially a Key Forward.
Based on our team right now the only genuine forward we have is Tilthorpe and we won’t see him much next year.

Ben, Gavin and Andrew we need you to Recruit a couple of very good forwards, we have the salary cap. Time for you guys to deliver.

The importance of recruiting forwards and bigger bodied players cannot be overstated. As we all know, several times this season we began well, but faded in second halves. The cause is twofold: we did not create enough scoreboard pressure when we were on top, and secondly when some of the heat did go out of the game we didn't have enough bigger/taller players to match the opposition's. Invariably, it was these players who came to the fore in second halves. Although we won our home game against North, it was their two talls who repeatedly marked our IS50 kicks and almost cost us the game. I really don't believe fitness was an issue per se. Some players coming back from injury may have been underdone or still carrying the injury. And of course an over reliance on a few players will see them fade late in games. I don't believe that our team didn't begin the season fully fit and even if it wasn't, why wasn't this remedied immediately. How can you go through a pre season, 18 games and weekly training sessions and still not be fit by season's end. Our state representatives did not look unfit, nor did Noble and Snelling when they made their AFL debuts.
So far our recruiting has not addressed these two issues. Recruiters should always be identifying possible recruits, but 1/2 dozen games into the season the writing was on the wall and by 1/2 way the alarm bells should have well and truly been ringing. We knew what our needs were very early and I would have expected that we might have got a jump on the other clubs. We simply cannot afford another season like this one. Growing our membership depends on it.
bruce cameron
bruce cameron

Number of posts : 122
Registration date : 2015-02-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella on Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:56 pm

The recruiting staff has identified more than one player which the club has spoken too!

HOWEVER

You can lead a horse to water but you cannot make them drink ---- If the players say no and go elsewhere then that is that and THIS is what is happening.

Whilst money is one component it is also components such as employment for the player and partner that allows free time etc that has a huge bearing ----- Further, the clubs poor winning performance history does not tend to lead players to want to join us against other successful clubs.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Life long passionate supporter
Oldfella
Oldfella

Number of posts : 561
Job/hobbies : Retired due to severe clinical depression

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine on Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:15 pm

As President, I opposed the restrictions that came with us being given extra significant funding from the SANFL. My problem wasn't with the WAFC Board members who voted to accept the money, I could understand that, but I consistently put it to the SANFL that for the sake of saving $40K, then $20K on salary cap, we would lose far more than that through falling attendances and patronage.

They thought better and the result is where we are now, bottom and with recruits not attracted to the bottom team.

Everyone is working hard on recruiting, but the odds are stacked against us. There's still time, but there aren't many West people left on the Board to fight for football.

Let's hope that Gavin is given some good recruits. That can still happen.

Go Bloods.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Number of posts : 1006
Registration date : 2014-05-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella on Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:49 am

I have heard this morning from a friend at another club that the SANFL has rescinded their Salary Cap limitation limitation on West Adelaide but given the West Adelaide club has made no announcement on such an important matter of concern to all members at this time it is to be treated as a rumor which I hope is true. ------- Sadly, even if true it is very late in the day and will make any club recruiting action this year very difficult IMO ------ IMO our only hope is after the draft however normally most of the quality players to be considered are already signed if they don't get drafted.

We must be very fair in NOT attacking the potential talent identification team nor the recruiting staff or the present Football Manager as IMO they have done their job well within limitations and our junior development programs and the young talent coming through are excellent.

The real blame lies with the SANFL Board & Senior staff and those senior long term West Adelaide members who could not see that a reduced salary cap invariable leads to poor recruiting, team performance and membership dissatisfaction and dropping membership.

The present board is targeting financial viability over football aspects of the club which I can understand however equally, I believe that the lack of understanding by the Board on how important the performance of the senior football team is to the clubs overall community recognition, business presence and attracting patrons to the facilities shows a lack of understanding of the additional needs of a sporting club over a normal business enterprise.

I fear that there will be an attempt to try and get business people (with no previous West Adelaide membership) to run for Board election by members further alienating the members from the club --- I feel that a amendment to the Constitution in terms of those nominating for Board election by members should be required to be a financial member of the club for a period of 4 consecutive Club Financial Years before being eligible ---- this would stop ballot stacking.

edited for spelling LOL

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Oldfella
Oldfella

Back to top Go down

Post by Lachlan on Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:00 am

If one of your KPI’s is to Recruit players to your Footy club and you are paid to do that you simply must deliver.
If it means you need to work harder than any other club to attract those players well so be it.

We need to OVER SERVICE potential Recruits.

Last edited by Lachlan on Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:14 am; edited 2 times in total
Lachlan
Lachlan

Number of posts : 610

Back to top Go down

Post by loppy19 on Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:05 am

Whilst I get all of the arguments put forward, I will say this. This season was the most discouraged Ihave ever felt about West Adelaide but also the SANFL in general. As a more casual observer these days, I feel the team was lacking league level players all season. To see the losses of senior league players continue over the last month or so and our recruits to date appearing to be fringe reseves/league standard players or fairly young and unproven players, does not inspire me at all that we will be anywhere near finals for a while yet.
Now for anyone not closely involved with the club, who only cares about watching a good football game/ team, how on earth does club expect anyone to sign up or get excited about 2020?? As per usual, Eagles, Norwood, Sturt etc. are signing AFL delistings whilst we sign their reserves players- a pretty woeful recipe for any sort of success.....

If you are at the club to sign and recruit players, you need to do that and surely be held to account if it is not to the required standard- 4 years in a row of failure to date, are we gunning for 5?
loppy19
loppy19

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2013-09-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella on Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:24 am

Lachlan wrote:If one of your KPI’s is to Recruit players to your Footy club and you are paid to do that you simply must deliver.
If it means you need to work harder than any other club to attract those players well so be it.

Agree with both comments but would add we need to identify how to OVER SERVICE potential Recruits within the existing salary cap, financial limitations and other limitations previously expressed.

One area to me is to poll and identify all potential job opportunities (player & partner) within membership --- this is a very strong area for Norwood recruiting for example.

Oldfella
Oldfella

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella on Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:25 am

loppy19 wrote:Whilst I get all of the arguments put forward, I will say this. This season was the most discouraged Ihave ever felt about West Adelaide but also the SANFL in general. As a more casual observer these days, I feel the team was lacking league level players all season. To see the losses of senior league players continue over the last month or so and our recruits to date appearing to be fringe reseves/league standard players or fairly young and unproven players, does not inspire me at all that we will be anywhere near finals for a while yet.
Now for anyone not closely involved with the club, who only cares about watching a good football game/ team, how on earth does club expect anyone to sign up or get excited about 2020?? As per usual, Eagles, Norwood, Sturt etc. are signing AFL delistings whilst we sign their reserves players- a pretty woeful recipe for any sort of success.....

If you are at the club to sign and recruit players, you need to do that and surely be held to account if it is not to the required standard- 4 years in a row of failure to date, are we gunning for 5?

Great comment mate

Oldfella
Oldfella

Back to top Go down

Post by RODH2 on Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:29 am

Good comments at 9:49 above, Oldfella
RODH2
RODH2

Number of posts : 141
Registration date : 2015-03-28

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce cameron on Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:42 am

Lachlan wrote:If one of your KPI’s is to Recruit players to your Footy club and you are paid to do that you simply must deliver.

The salary cap limitation may be largely to blame for our current prediciment, however with the high number of players departing the club we must have money to spend. Recruiters can't use the excuse that no one wants to play for us. There must be players who do - find them. Do we need to enlist the aid of some of our high profile ex players. Furthermore, if it's a real issue finding jobs for partners, then look locally. Keep it as simple as possible. Sturt managed to win a flag with 90% local talent.
If we have another 2/16 season how in the hell will we be able to grow our membership and we certainly can't afford to lose any.
bruce cameron
bruce cameron

Number of posts : 122
Registration date : 2015-02-12

Back to top Go down

Post by brodlach on Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:15 pm

So who is on the current recruiting committee?
brodlach
brodlach

Number of posts : 333

Back to top Go down

Post by bundy on Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:48 pm

loppy19 wrote:Whilst I get all of the arguments put forward, I will say this. This season was the most discouraged Ihave ever felt about West Adelaide but also the SANFL in general. As a more casual observer these days, I feel the team was lacking league level players all season. To see the losses of senior league players continue over the last month or so and our recruits to date appearing to be fringe reseves/league standard players or fairly young and unproven players, does not inspire me at all that we will be anywhere near finals for a while yet.

Well said 10/10
bundy
bundy

Number of posts : 365
Job/hobbies : Lawn Bowls
Registration date : 2013-09-24

Back to top Go down

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum