CLUB STATEMENT

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Go down

CLUB STATEMENT Empty CLUB STATEMENT

Post by bundy on Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:22 pm

West Adelaide Football Club [OFFICIAL]
8 mins ·
The West Adelaide Football Club wishes to advise members and supporters that Football Manager Andrew Marks has tendered his resignation. We would like to thank Andrew for all his hard work and dedication over the years and we wish him all the best in the future
Read more: https://bit.ly/2Kc1aX8
bundy
bundy

Number of posts : 376
Job/hobbies : Lawn Bowls

Back to top Go down

CLUB STATEMENT Empty Re: CLUB STATEMENT

Post by brodlach on Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:25 pm

Goodbye, farewell, amen
brodlach
brodlach

Number of posts : 355

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine on Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:02 pm

Gavin Colville had some pertinent and very supportive words about Andrew at the B & F.

I'll talk about those later, but thanks for all you've done, Andrew.

In other news, yet another Venue Manager has gone and long-serving bar staff have gone. Is the chef still there.

Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Number of posts : 1043

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian on Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:28 pm

Tens of thousands of clubs, bars and cafes around the country seem to be able to function reasonably smoothly and turn a dollar, why has it been such a shambles at our club for so long?
aldo russian
aldo russian

Number of posts : 711

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine on Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:34 pm

Good question.

The previous two years were the only years we've made a bistro profit in memory. It was run on a contract basis, but the previous CEO and others insisted we'd do much better running it ourselves. My opposition to that wasn't well received, so it will be interesting to see the results when they come out.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by Thiele on Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:05 pm

Thanks MArksy

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
2015 PREMIERS. GO BLOODS
Thiele
Thiele

Number of posts : 523

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella on Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:55 pm

aldo russian wrote:Tens of thousands of clubs, bars and cafes around the country seem to be able to function reasonably smoothly and turn a dollar, why has it been such a shambles at our club for so long?

Lee Harradine wrote:Good question.

The previous two years were the only years we've made a bistro profit in memory.  It was run on a contract basis, but the previous CEO and others insisted we'd do much better running it ourselves.  My opposition to that wasn't well received, so it will be interesting to see the results when they come out.

New people on the board think they are the only ones who can solve an issue and rather than lower themselves by asking about the clubs previous experience charge on regardless.

In this case the club has a long history (going back to doug) of running on a contract basis and when it shows a profit takes control back over invariably with a dismal finacial result.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Life long passionate supporter
Oldfella
Oldfella

Number of posts : 579
Job/hobbies : Retired due to severe clinical depression

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce cameron on Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:34 pm

Oldfella wrote:
aldo russian wrote:Tens of thousands of clubs, bars and cafes around the country seem to be able to function reasonably smoothly and turn a dollar, why has it been such a shambles at our club for so long?

Lee Harradine wrote:Good question.

The previous two years were the only years we've made a bistro profit in memory.  It was run on a contract basis, but the previous CEO and others insisted we'd do much better running it ourselves.  My opposition to that wasn't well received, so it will be interesting to see the results when they come out.

New people on the board think they are the only ones who can solve an issue and rather than lower themselves by asking about the clubs previous experience charge on regardless.

In this case the club has a long history (going back to doug) of running on a contract basis and when it shows a profit takes control back over invariably with a dismal finacial result.

I recently spoke to Murray and Ben about my dining experiences at the club, pointing out that my family and I thought that the quality of meals and service had slipped despite an increase in prices. They told me that all the feedback they had received had been positive. We dine at the club on a regular basis, so I wasn't complaining about the odd meal, but a general decline. Given that we are only dishing up pub meals, how come we can't consistently get it right. I would think that contracting this service would be the way to go. The contractor has a very strong incentive to make it work. The club benefits by not having to pay wages and increased patronage means greater bar sales and probably gaming revenue. It's not rocket science: get it right!
bruce cameron
bruce cameron

Number of posts : 133

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine on Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:17 pm

IMO, the Board was never given credible figures that supported a change, but there was strong support for a change regardless, including from outside influences.

Again, IMO, there was never a credible business plan to support a change.

Oldfella, you are correct, but you've only been around the club for 40 years.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella on Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:04 pm

Lee Harradine wrote:IMO, the Board was never given credible figures that supported a change, but there was strong support for a change regardless, including from outside influences.

Again, IMO, there was never a credible business plan to support a change.

Oldfella, you are correct, but you've only been around the club for 40 years.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Hell, I even remember the old 2 for 1 pensioner Thursday lunches. Did not lose on the meal as all they did was halve the normal meal but then after the meal they all went in (50 odd people) and spent money on the pokies --- for some reason it was stopped and every time I raise it I am told thats it is a poor idea but none can tell me why.

Its the same history lesson in regards to whats on the menu ---- when we have a balance beyween basic meals (mixed Grill etc) and more higher class meals we sell well however the club continually has decided we need to upgrade the menu and sale fall off.

ITS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE JUST LEARN FROM THE PAST REPEATED MISTAKES AND DONT REPEAT THEM BUT IT SEEMS WE ARE DOING IT AGAIN -- SO SAD.

Next idea I expect is to sell the club rooms and go into large debt to purchase/lease property to gain main road access --- dont say I didnt warn you.

PS --- we are still waiting for Members to be advised of what is in the Business Plan LOL

Oldfella
Oldfella

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine on Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:43 pm

Back to Andrew. Gavin was very heartfelt in his comments about the hard work and support given to him by Marksy.

Good to see so many positive comments on the Club's Facebook site about him.

What many may not know is the time and care he gave to players, staff and even supporters over the years.

Andrew Collins is coming over in a few weeks to catch up with him.

All the best for the future, Onya.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine on Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:09 am

Some ordinary comments from a couple of the haters on another site, including a poster on here.

The decision to leave was Andrew's alone, after 10 years.

Perhaps some should look at themselves and consider whether their keyboard sniping at club employees and volunteers helps.

Zero tolerance on personal sniping on this site.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by brodlach on Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:17 am

I’m a hater am I hahaha, get over yourself. I am allowed my own opinion and what I said was not derogatory at all.

Got an issue with me with, send me a PM like I did to you last week but never read.
brodlach
brodlach

Back to top Go down

Post by brodlach on Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:31 am

And just for transparency, here are my two remarks on the matter.

“ Andrew Marks gone from West

Hopefully the club will now move forward”

“Ok Wink
brodlach
brodlach

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine on Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:45 am

brodlach wrote:I’m a hater am I hahaha, get over yourself. I am allowed my own opinion and what I said was not derogatory at all.

Got an issue with me with, send me a PM like I did to you last week but never read.

I haven't received a PM, brodlach.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeme on Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:09 am

Thanks for all the work you have done Andrew Marks.
Like him or not the amount of unpaid hours that he would of put in over the ten years of employment I am sure would have halved any hourly rate that he was paid. Time and time again Andrew would be asked to do many things a normal football manager would just look at the person and say forget it but not Andrew.
Going forward we will get another Football Manager who may be better at the Football Managers job but we will then need to find another person to fill in all the gaps that Andrew has filled in over the last ten years.
Again like him or not his work ethic and passion around the club will be missed.

GO THE BLOODS
mikeme
mikeme

Number of posts : 51

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce cameron on Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:28 am

mikeme wrote:Thanks for all the work you have done Andrew Marks.
Like him or not the amount of unpaid hours that he would of put in over the ten years of employment I am sure would have halved any hourly rate that he was paid. Time and time again Andrew would be asked to do many things a normal football manager would just look at the person and say forget it but not Andrew.
Going forward we will get another Football Manager who may be better at the Football Managers job but we will then need to find another person to fill in all the gaps that Andrew has filled in over the last ten years.
Again like him or not his work ethic and passion around the club will be missed.

GO THE BLOODS

I have little knowledge of Andrew's contribution to the club, but given that he served for 10 years and is being acknowledged by others, who worked with him, I can't but agree with Phil Herden's comments on Facebook:

Clicked on the official club statement - Given it was covering the departure of a key 10 year club stalwart who has in many ways been the rock & soul of the club through some pretty emotional times (good & bad) I found it very short, generic and rather lacking in gratitude ... or is that just me? Marksy you are a legend, good luck in your next adventure.

And find it unacceptable that negative comments have been posted now that Andrew has gone. Surely the time for any criticism would have been prior to his departure and then reasons should have been given. Even more spiteful were the objections raised for Andrew being included in the GF photograph.
bruce cameron
bruce cameron

Number of posts : 133

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella on Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:08 am

THE INTENT OF THIS POST IS TO CAUSE DISCUSSION.

Some old notes that I have retained identify that when Andrew was appointed the major underlying issue facing the club was that there was a major alienation in how personal  & players in our local & country zones viewed the West Adelaide and putting it honestly we were on the nose ---- this situation has largely been put to bed with many of our quality young players being from our country zones being supported with targeted interstate youngster and the clubs relationship with our recruiting zone being very strong .

To me the biggest issue facing the club is one of recruiting top level players that the other clubs seem to do with great regularity ----- I am aware that all players recruited by the other clubs were identified by recruiting committee (David Tidswell, Lee Harradine and others) so clearly the recruiting committee has done their job --- strangely, I believe the club is planning changes to personnel within this successful operation however that is a story/discussion for another day?

Whilst the the actual staff  involved in recruiting negotiations with potential players (different personnel from the recruiting committee members) has approached most players identified by recruiting committee however they have failed to get then across the line due to several factors previously discussed (Salary cap, available funds, jobs and other issues).

In summary it seems clear that the recruiting committee has undertaken their duties well however the staff tasked with actual recruiting have not had a level of success, this is not necessarily due to any failing off any of these individuals THIS IS THE CRITICAL  AREA FOR THE CLUB TO REVIEW AND CHANGE.

The resignation of Andrew has left the Board with an exciting opportunity to reconfigure the entire West Adelaide Football Operations structure however at the same time cause the Board to be placed in a very difficult situation given the club financial situation. IMO, where it is so very difficult for the Board is the need for senior additional staff within the football operations area at a substantial costs that go directly against the fine efforts by our CEO to reduce staff costs and run on a minimal staffing levels.

WE NEED IMO

Senior Manager of Football Operations
---- responsible for the overall day to day control of our entire Football Operation through individual area Managers and developing programs for the Board to consider  --- this manager will report to the Football Board Director who has the long term direction responsibilities for the club --- It is visualized that neither  the Senior Manager of Football Operations or the  Football Board Director will be involved in the day to day operations of any area but will be taking the big picture view point.

Manager of Recruiting and Player Welfare.
-------- responsible for all aspects of recruiting including day to day management of staff, recruiting committee, hands on approach and negotiation with potential recruits, player welfare issues, identification of factors effecting recruiting and developing programs for the SMFO & Board to consider and other duties as directed.

Manager of Zones and Junior Development.
--------  responsible for all aspects of day to day management of staff involved in Zone and Junior Development programs.

I REALIZE THAT MY THOUGHT ARE NOT VIABLE UNDER THE CLUBS PRESENT FINANCIAL SITUATION BUT FEEL THEY DO  REFLECT THE POTENTIAL FUTURE DIRECTION THAT THE BOARD SHOULD BE PLANNING FOR.

THIS WILL ALSO CREATE JOBS FOR POTENTIAL RECRUITS AND ENHANCE RECRUITING ACTIVITIES & OPPORTUNITIES.

Oldfella
Oldfella

Back to top Go down

Post by Thiele on Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:00 pm

mikeme wrote:Thanks for all the work you have done Andrew Marks.

GO THE BLOODS
Well said

2015 PREMIERS. GO BLOODS
Thiele
Thiele

Number of posts : 523

Back to top Go down

Post by Hotdip on Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:55 pm

brodlach wrote:I’m a hater am I hahaha, get over yourself. I am allowed my own opinion and what I said was not derogatory at all.

brolach
You are not allowed to have opinion on this site
You should know that Shocked
Hotdip
Hotdip

Number of posts : 33

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:04 pm

Posters have been having opinions on this site for many, many years. Hardly anything is deleted.

Personal attacks, usually restricted to a few usual suspects, are not allowed.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by brodlach on Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:02 am

I don’t want to start a fight but surely hotdip wasn’t banned for that post?
brodlach
brodlach

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:14 am

No, he was banned some time ago, but it didn't take effect.

He'd been warned many times.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian on Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:28 am

Has the club advertised the position of Football Manager yet?
aldo russian
aldo russian

Number of posts : 711

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella on Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:51 am

aldo russian wrote:Has the club advertised the position of Football Manager yet?

Not that I have seen and a search of the club website reflects the same.

For no particular reason I suspect the club is reviewing the overall management structure of the entire Football Operations area.

Taking into account the fact that most of the administrative/supervision duties of the Football Managers Role is undertaken by the CEO and his administration staff and also taking into account the clubs financial position it is debatable if there is a need for a Football Manger at this time?  Is the clubs needs better suited by changing to a "flat-line management structure" under the CEO's overall control with said structure to include a new position of Recruiting Supervisor.

It could also be suggested that the club is waiting for the new Board Member Derek Bonner to take his seat and for him to implement an change/appointment given the importance of this issue to his performance in the next several years --- makes a lot of sense to me.

Above is pure speculation on my part but does seem an opportunity for the club to make adjustments towards a more efficient structure that responds to Members concerns reference senior football operations and recruiting. I do not see this appointment/changes as being as time critical as other immediate needs well expressed by Lachlan and other wise posters.

Over to wiser poster than me for comment.

Oldfella
Oldfella

Back to top Go down

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum