Election Result

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Go down

Election Result Empty Election Result

Post by bruce cameron on Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:57 pm

I would like to thank all those Westies' supporters who encouraged me to stand for the Membership Director position and then supported me throughout the process and then voted for me. Unfortunately, I was unsuccessful, but the really concerning issue is there were only 148 votes cast. Congratulations to Marteine. She is highly qualified and I'm sure will do a great job.

I asked her what the current membership was and she told me that it was in the mid 300s. (I hope I remembered correctly) This should grow significantly (hopefully) over the coming weeks.. Last year's membership was about 1000. Let's hope it's no less this year.

Look forward to seeing you all at Hisense Arena for Round 1 when we take on Port Magpies.
Go the Bloods.
bruce cameron
bruce cameron

Number of posts : 192

Back to top Go down

Election Result Empty Re: Election Result

Post by RODH2 on Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:05 pm

Thanks, Bruce, that really is a shame, West Adelaide will need dedicated long-time supporters in the future, and we certainly seem to be short of those! Thanks for the time and effort you put in.
RODH2
RODH2

Number of posts : 170

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella on Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:07 pm

Bruce,

Thank you for loving the club and members enough to put up your hand --- much respect my friend.

I endorse all your comments and also was sad that only 148 voted also by my quick count there were only around 45-50 members at the meeting --- both numbers are worrying

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Life long passionate supporter
Oldfella
Oldfella

Number of posts : 668
Job/hobbies : Retired due to severe clinical depression

Back to top Go down

Post by redblack32 on Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:15 am

Disappointed to hear Bruce was not successful in his bid to join the board.
Thank you for putting your hand up and trying to give a voice to us members. 
I really worry what this now means for us as members. 
No doubt, we will be asked to dig deep into our pockets and support our club.
But I guess, “we” all voted our rights away. 
Going to be an interesting 12months.
redblack32
redblack32

Number of posts : 17

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine on Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:25 am

Well done for standing, Bruce. It is a tough job to win against a Board supported candidate. I'd estimate a member would start about 50 votes behind and I'm not sure that's healthy.
So, we now have 6 appointed members out of 7. At least there is still now 1 Board member who has always barracked for the Club  Very Happy

Some interesting things that came out. The Wolfpack was paid out because the SANFL advanced the next $275K land money instalment due next October. Good to see the SANFL supporting this Board, along with giving us Crows AFLW games.

I was heartened by the speech by the Club Patron, the Mayor of West Torrens.

I share the worry expressed about numbers. It is depressing to see only about 60 people at the AGM and only 148 voting. We desperately need more input and interest from members, but that's a big ask if they're excluded from participation.

Finally, I wish Gavin and the team every success this year. I'll be taking time off for the year to just concentrate on writing the book on the club we all love and wish the Board every success in advancing our club.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Number of posts : 1235

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeme on Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:14 am

Thanks for standing Bruce, the result was poor for the fact that so few members chose to vote.

Just on a side note, I am not saying that a life member has not earned the right/privilege of a life membership but I am sure that the criteria has a minimum serving length. There are some people that have been great servants for the club but have not had their name put forward due to not meeting this criteria? Anybody on the forum know what the criteria is?
I am sure it at the discretion of the board at the time but the current board would be unaware of what some people have done behind the scenes from 2018 back.

AS Always GO THE BLOODS
mikeme
mikeme

Number of posts : 59

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine on Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:52 am

For an official, I think it has been 15 years service, but the Board has a discretion.

It was always fairly strictly adhered to, but in recent times that discretion has been used more and more and only 10 years service has seen Life Membership.

The discretion is important, as some put in far more hours in 10 years as some do in 15.  They are all treasured members, but the parameters seem to be weakened each year.

There used to also be an unwritten rule that people on high honorariums or salary needed to go above and beyond, as they were already well rewarded.

I know some members who have served around 15 years and who aren't yet Life Members.

It is something to be treasured and needs a high bar to achieve, not ever given  easily.

It also requires someone to be nominated.

Last edited by Lee Harradine on Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella on Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:55 am

mikeme

The base criteria from the Constitution is below however the Board at its judgement can appoint a worthy candidate who may not for various reasons be eligible under the rules. For many years the base criteria was rigidly applied however in recent times the board has used its powers to include many who do not meet said criteria.

The key issue is, as the club requested, if as a Member you are aware or believe another Member is eligible then nominate said person  ---- I did this for Ricky Pink and some others ---- the committee that looks at Life Membership comprises of club greats but they do not know everybody.

From Notice of AGM
"Life Membership --- Nominations for Life Membership are also now invited. To nominate, please use the form available here. Please direct all nominations to the West Adelaide Football Club via reception@westadelaidefc.com.au  and ensure your nomination is received before 5:00pm January 15 2020)."

From Constitution.
7.2 Life Members

7.2.1 [
color=#ff0000]Any member who has rendered valuable services to the Club may at any Annual General or Special Meeting of the Club be elected as a Life Member thereof by the general body of members present provided, however, that no person shall be elected a Life Member of the Club except on the nomination by and recommendation of the Board. A Life Member will be entitled to all privileges of membership without being required to pay the Annual Subscription for Membership of the Club. Life Members shall be presented with a suitable Certificate from the Club indicating such Life Membership.

7.2.2 For the purposes of Rule 7.2.1:-

7.2.2.1 An official of the Club appointed by the Board who has given at least 15 years of service to the Club;

7.2.2.2 A Playing Member who has played at least 150 games in the League team of the Club
will be deemed to have rendered valuable service to the Club.

7.2.3 The Board may appoint as a Life Member any person who has played at least one match in the League team of the Club in each of 10 football seasons

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Oldfella
Oldfella

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine on Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:59 am

Thanks oldfella.

That doesn't give any Board discretion and is clear about 15 years.

Can you find the discretion clause?
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella on Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:26 am

Lethal,

I feel its all lost a bit in the legal mumbo jumbo which I am not in any way qualified to discuss/judge but based on a discussion I had with one of the clubs legal qualified people several years ago.

The Constitution does not actually give a clear definite statement of discretion for the Board on this matter however it also must be noted that there is also no clear statement in the Constitution that the criteria 7.2.2 for eligibility is mandatory rather the use of the word "DEEMED" could be interpreted to suggest that these are the base recommended criteria for use.

• As some evidence for this, as I mentioned I recommended Ricky Pink for Life Membership who had well over 15 years service in various roles however said service to the Club was broken and as such the Clubs interpretation of criteria 7.2.2 for eligibility was that broken service did not count --- as part of my application I suggested that this interpretation was not correct and that the Board could use its discretion under section 30.2 and section 32 --- which they did setting a precedence.

Another example was that the Clubs
For issues outside of anything explicitly mentioned in the Constitution then the powers granted to the Board under section 30.2 and section 32 would seem to allow the Board to consider eligibility outside of the base recommended criteria or specifically not mentioned --- these two sections are extremely powerful.

Whilst like yourself I do not want to question anyone awarded this great honor I do find concern in awarding for 10 years service especially where there is previous Life Membership awarded in a specific area that has set a "Precedence" for criteria requirement.

Anyway, just my thoughts but truly someone more qualified than me would need to determine this.

30.2 The Board shall be the sole authority for the interpretation of these rules and any regulations or By-Laws made thereunder and the decision of the Board upon any question of interpretation or upon any matter affecting the Club and not provided for by these rules or by the regulations and By-Laws made thereunder shall be final and binding upon the members.

Section 32 MATTERS NOT DEALT WITH -- States that " Any matter of any kind whatsoever not dealt with or provided for under these Rules may be dealt with in such manner as the Board shall determine" and .

Oldfella
Oldfella

Back to top Go down

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum