Games you remember most

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Games you remember most Empty Games you remember most

Post by Lee Harradine on Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:44 pm

What are the games in the past you remember most, and why?

I'm looking for anecdotes for my book and anything published from here will be attributed to you, if wished.

Not so much Grand Finals, but minor round and other games.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Number of posts : 1341

Back to top Go down

Games you remember most Empty Re: Games you remember most

Post by westiesforever on Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:59 pm

I’ll have a crack at my top 5 (not in particular order)

2015 30 goals Vs Glenelg

That was right up there with the most ruthless I’d seen our side play.

2015 Belting Norwood at home

With them having the wood over us, it was a great day watching the lads belt the arrogance out of em !

2017 Beating Norwood at Norwood

Seeing our guys hang in the game and take their opportunities to hold on for the win was great. It was nice to leave there smiling that day.

1994 Vs Port at Footy Park

Wasn’t at this game (only a young fella) but watched it on tv and went crazy when Simister took that screamer in the goal square and kicked the goal for the win.

2017 Vs Adelaide Reserves

“That” game with the off field controversy. The team lifted in the second half and played inspired footy. A good win and a great night at the club.

westiesforever
westiesforever

Number of posts : 50

Back to top Go down

Post by RODH2 on Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:15 pm

Time 'embellishes' a few games I remember, but working on this....... Laughing
RODH2
RODH2

Number of posts : 191

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian on Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:36 pm

There will be several for me but one that stands out is our first win at Footy Park. It took us nearly 3 seasons to win a game there, the conventional wisdom being that, under Fos Williams, we were too big and slow for the big ground. It was late-ish in the 1976 season I think but we finally broke through on a warm, windy day and beat Norwood by about 10 goals, giving us some real hope for the finals. 
I can remember Dexter Kennedy kicking a huge goal, wind assisted, from a long way out, and Peter Meuret taking one of the most astonishing marks, running with the flight of the ball, somehow, over Neil Button. We were finally becoming a top side again.

Last edited by aldo russian on Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
aldo russian
aldo russian

Number of posts : 850

Back to top Go down

Post by RODH2 on Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:41 pm

Date and year forgotten, but I was standing 3 metres away from Dexter when Neil Balme pole-axed him...... (there was a fence between us!)
RODH2
RODH2

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian on Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:08 pm

RODH2 wrote:Date and year forgotten, but I was standing 3 metres away from Dexter when Neil Balme pole-axed him...... (there was a fence between us!)

Photo of that here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/AFL/comments/d7h91x/this_is_my_dad_dexter_kennedy_playing_for_sanfl/

I'm pretty sure that was the 1981 Elimination Final. I was standing directly under Kerley sitting in the stand and can clearly remember him growling "Get up Dexter, get up!"
aldo russian
aldo russian

Back to top Go down

Post by RODH2 on Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:10 pm

I'm just to the left in that pic. (Look at the crowd!) Smile
RODH2
RODH2

Back to top Go down

Post by blacky on Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:50 pm

That game was a final I was the first person to get out to him.we lost the game
blacky

Number of posts : 170

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian on Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:15 am

Balme was very good at punching people when their eyes were on the ball.
aldo russian
aldo russian

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine on Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:10 am

RODH2 wrote:I'm just to the left in that pic.   (Look at the crowd!)  Smile

I think that's me next to you Smile
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by cuban on Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:22 am

There's a couple from 1991 that I remember fondly.
The first is vs Norwood at the parade. I think that was about halfway through the season and it looked like we had no chance of making the finals. Norwood were well in front for most of the game but something clicked for Westies and we stormed home to win. I still remember Patto kicking an amazing checkside goal from near the boundary, which was amazing as he was a horrble kick for goal! After that game we were almost unbeatable (apart from bloody North).
And of course the 91 elimination final. Port were heavily favoured to win that game due to their great finals experience and they even had the lead at quarter time. After that though we absolutely smashed them, with Mods kicking 8 and Mellor 6. I still remember the crowd jeering Grep Phillips trying to keep up with westies players.
I agree with westiesforever about that norwood game in 2015 - it still brings a smile to my face remembering baulderstone having a kick in the goal square only to slip in the mud, spill the ball and one of the westies players scoop it up and kick an easy goal while he just sits there like a pig in the mud! Ahh, good memories!
cuban
cuban

Number of posts : 22

Back to top Go down

Post by Mypaspective on Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:19 am

An amusing one for sure. It was Round 4 1972 (I think) & playing Sturt at Unley.
A wet & windy day. We had experienced an avg start to the year having lost to both Central & Woodville in the first 3 rounds.
Behind at the 30 minute mark & Peter Milsom took a Mark in the S/W/F pocket. The wind was howling from the North so he chose to kick a shocking looking wobbler (which was std for Peter) high & towards CHF.
Everyone dropped their heads in dispair.
The wind caught it beautifully & I can clearly remember it sailing through the Southern goals for a major just before the siren to win by 2pts.

The Westies crowd went crazy between fits of laughter.
I’ll never forget that one. Thanks for that indelible memory Milso.
We don’t leave Unley as happy campers usually but that day was a superb drive back to Richmond.

Last edited by Mypaspective on Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Mypaspective
Mypaspective

Number of posts : 346

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine on Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:36 am

Good memory, MP.

It was Round 4.

We won 12.11 to 11.15.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by Mypaspective on Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:57 am

Thanx Lee. It could hardly have been Rd 2 if we had lost 2 games before it that season. Derrrr to me!!!
I have corrected it.
Mypaspective
Mypaspective

Number of posts : 346

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian on Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:44 am

I can also remember Peter Milsom kicking a bizarre goal at Unley. His kick landed near the behind post and took a couple of extraordinary bounces, eeluding defenders and rolling through. Same pocket as the goal you describe MP.
aldo russian
aldo russian

Back to top Go down

Post by firstblood on Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:41 pm

I think it was a 2nd semi final in 1985 v Sturt at Fooball Park, we were trailing after 1/2 time and a Sturt player had the ball in the Southern Grandstand side back pocket, he went running off with Des Herbert in chase, after about 3 bounces, 'Herbert' who didn't give up the chase brought the Sturt player down to his knees near the centre with a holding the ball decision. That particular piece of play turned the game our way and we went on to win it.
I can still hear the roar from the grandstand when Herbert caught him.
Not sure if i have the correct year but i do know it was a final.
firstblood
firstblood

Number of posts : 380
Job/hobbies : The light keeper

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce cameron on Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:52 pm

cuban wrote:There's a couple from 1991 that I remember fondly.

I agree with westiesforever about that norwood game in 2015 - it still brings a smile to my face remembering baulderstone having a kick in the goal square only to slip in the mud, spill the ball and one of the westies players scoop it up and kick an easy goal while he just sits there like a pig in the mud! Ahh, good memories!

Yes, that moment has been indelibly etched on my brain. It still brings a smile to my face. I also remember another great moment from that game. I'm not sure of the timing, but it may have been in the second quarter. Norwood had opened up a 3 or 4 goal break and their supporters began chanting 'Norwood. Nooorwood' in that arrogant way that comes natural to them. Some 10 minutes or so later, after a purple patch, we had opened up a small lead. Instead of chanting 'Westies' several Bloods supporters began chanting 'Noorwood, Noorwood' mocking Norwood's supporters. I thought it was just brilliant. It is a day full of happy memories.
bruce cameron
bruce cameron

Number of posts : 202

Back to top Go down

Post by blacky on Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:53 pm

Lee Harradine wrote:
RODH2 wrote:I'm just to the left in that pic.   (Look at the crowd!)  Smile

I think that's me next to you Smile
Think you two were sitting behind me
I was on the field that day remember
blacky

Number of posts : 170

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce cameron on Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:57 pm

Lee Harradine wrote:What are the games in the past you remember most, and why?

I'm looking for anecdotes for my book and anything published from here will be attributed to you, if wished.

Not so much Grand Finals, but minor round and other games.

My vote for most memorable game goes to West v Port at Alberton, Round 17 1979.
Westies have been described as ‘consistently inconsistent’ and Round 17, 1979 was a perfect example.
I and two mates were running a bit late for the start of the game. Parking spaces were in short supply around Alberton Oval, so after a few laps looking for one I decided to park the HT Belmont illegally on a corner. I noticed the car I parked behind had already received an expiation notice for parking too close to a corner, so I removed the notice and placed it under one of my wiper blades. Problem solved.
We arrived just in time for the first bounce. Port dominated early and had kicked nine goals by quarter time. We did manage four goals against the tide and were in arrears by 32 points at quarter time. Our second quarter was solid and by half time we had managed to reduce the margin to 18 points, not a bad effort when you consider the calibre of Port’s personnel. (Tim Evans, Russell Ebert, Greg Phillips, Brian Cunningham, Max James, Peter Woite, Darren Cahill and Bomber Clifford) I didn’t really think we would win, but it was good to still be a chance at Alberton at half time.
Our third quarter was outstanding and by the final change of ends we were only one point down. We really began to enjoy ourselves as the Port supporters who surrounded us started to whinge about umpiring decisions and Westies’ ‘incredible’ luck. A fellow Westies’ supporter near us unfurled an enormous red and black golf umbrella, blocking the view of several Port supporters. This upset them no end, particularly seeing as there was no rain and the temperature was a pleasant 20C. He eventually put it away, but only temporarily.
The last quarter began and Port lifted, but surprisingly so did the Mighty Bloods. In an exciting finish we got up by 4 points. Port supporters kept asking who No 29 was. Although Roger finished the season with 59 goals, the same amount as Piero, the ones he kicked that day were the most important. I experienced absolute joy that day. We had played an exceptional brand of footy. It was also the second win in a run of three. In consecutive weeks we defeated, South, Port and Glenelg, an obvious purple patch in a season which only netted 7 wins from 22 matches and saw us finish bottom. Even more remarkable was that Port and South played off in the Grand Final. Even though we finished last and second last under Trevor Hughes, I believe his contribution was greater than those results would indicate. By 1983 we were the best team in the competition.
The stands and terraces cleared quickly that day, well at least of those wearing black and white. The crowd was around 8,000. The relatively, small number of supporters left were beaming, reluctant to leave for fear that some of the euphoria would also leave. Eventually, we walked back to the lonely Belmont which was all by itself on the corner where I had left it. I retrieved the expiation notice from under the wiper blade, congratulating myself on my clever ruse. I balled it up and threw it at my mate’s head. As we got into the car, I heard him say, ‘Hey, smart arse, I think you better take a look at this.’ He held it out for me to read. It was then I noticed that the expiation notice identified me as the offender and in large blue writing were the words, ‘Bad Luck. Didn’t work.’ Nothing could spoil my day, however.
bruce cameron
bruce cameron

Number of posts : 202

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella on Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:42 pm

Unless it the 1983 Grand Final or the 2015 Grand Final then it is always this game for me --- was there in stand with my late parents and its the first time I even seen my Dad go crazy and out of control with excitement.

SPOILER --- watch last 10 minutes only

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nkuo4C-eAI

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Life long passionate supporter
Oldfella
Oldfella

Number of posts : 714
Job/hobbies : Retired due to severe clinical depression

Back to top Go down

Post by RODH2 on Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:05 pm

Thanks, Oldfella! This was the game. I was standing in the outer with a past WAFC President, taking flack from the PAFC supporters all day.....except for the last few minutes!!! We took a lot of sh*t, but we turned around and were fairly "polite" to them, after the siren! Always used to like watching Larry Watson, back in those days, pretty balanced player, I reckon. Fairly select company, of course!
RODH2
RODH2

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian on Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:42 am

I can see myself in that footage, jumping up and down on the terraces in front of the stand when we hit the front. The last couple of minutes trying to hang onto the lead was fairly nerve-wracking. Dreher did some really key things to hold Port up. I think we were 34 points down early in the last quarter.
aldo russian
aldo russian

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella on Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:52 am

Aldo, you are probably correct I need to re-look at the video but my memory always has been that we were 5 goals down at the start of time on

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Life long passionate supporter
Oldfella
Oldfella

Number of posts : 714
Job/hobbies : Retired due to severe clinical depression

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian on Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:48 am

23 points down at the start of time on from memory oldfella. I reckon some people would have started leaving after Cunningham kicked their last goal.
aldo russian
aldo russian

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolfman Jack on Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:01 pm

I have been going to watch Westies since 1961 so there are so many games that I remember.
Having had recent discussions with Lee about the 1969 drawn final, I recall a couple of games from that season.
The first game of the season was against Port at Alberton & they were virtually unbeatable there in those days. We smashed them by about 10 goals with Murray Weideman & Robert Day outstanding. I couldn’t believe it.
The game against Glenelg a bit later in the season at Richmond was the battle of two undefeated sides but we were smashed. What stands out for me was the biggest crowd I have ever seen at home. From memory there was something like 16000/17000. Couldn’t get a park for miles & standing room only & huge line ups at the canteens.
At the serious end of the season we played the Bays at Glenelg on a windy, winters day & we were underdogs. It was a tight tussle & we had a slender lead at three quarter time but they had a strong wind at their backs. It was a real defensive slog as we put our bodies on the line & Rodney Pope marked everything across half back & we ran everything we could over the boundary line. We hung on to win by two or three points in a real heart stopper but what a team performance.
Two or three rounds later we played Port at Richmond & were underdogs again & needed to win to cement our place in the finals. Jack Cahill was Port’s superstar & in the first few minutes of the game Murray Weideman ran through Jack with a hip & shoulder & took him out of the game. We had a reasonable lead at three quarter time but Port came home strongly. There was only a kick in it right at the death knoll when a young ruckman Damian Walker playing his first game marked straight in front about 25 metres out. Nerves got the better of him & he shanked the kick. Fortunately the ball landed on it’s end & bounced in three different directions & with each bounce it eluded the Port defenders & bounced through for a goal. Unbelievable. It had to be seen to be believed I can assure you. Pity it wasn’t on film as my words can’t do justice to it. We won by two or three points & cemented third spot.
Wolfman Jack
Wolfman Jack

Number of posts : 99
Job/hobbies : Retired

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum