Games you remember most

 :: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Games you remember most - Page 2 Empty Re: Games you remember most

Post by aldo russian on Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:56 pm

I can remember near the end of that drawn 1969 first semi, Robert Day swinging around holding onto a point post trying to knock a wayward kick over the line for a score.
aldo russian
aldo russian

Number of posts : 834

Back to top Go down

Games you remember most - Page 2 Empty Re: Games you remember most

Post by Lee Harradine on Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:19 pm

What always amazed me about that final was that half our team had a virus, yet Torrens were favourite for the replay!

We won, of course.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Number of posts : 1311

Back to top Go down

Games you remember most - Page 2 Empty Re: Games you remember most

Post by Wolfman Jack on Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:12 pm

Aldo, I too remember Robert Day trying to rush the ball through for what would have been a winning point. I was always amazed that with so much pressure at the time he had the presence of mind to think of that.
I have some other vague memories of that drawn final.
Early in the first quarter we set up a loose man & ran the ball to one of our players who was unattended in the goal square. I think it may have been Ian Verrier a very good player. Unfortunately he was so affected by the virus that he fell over & couldn’t get up. Not a good start but we rallied.
In the last quarter we were six points up & had the run of the ball. Fred Bills a top player for the Eagles marked about 50/60 metres out. Not known for his kicking, Fred went back & drilled it & tied the game up.
Conversely for us Jack Pannenberg marked 35 metres out straight in front with not much left on the clock. Jack was a reliable goal kicker & all he had to do was score & the game was ours virtually. Unfortunately he didn’t make the distance & the game ended up a draw. Talking with Jack about it years later he said he had nothing left, his legs were gone as a result of the virus.
In the replay the next week we won quite comfortably.
If anyone has a print out of our side from the drawn 1969 first semi final, could they please print it here on the forum or send it to me via private message. It would be greatly appreciated. I keep racking my brains trying to remember that team.
Wolfman Jack
Wolfman Jack

Number of posts : 99
Location : Allenby Gardens
Job/hobbies : Retired

Back to top Go down

Games you remember most - Page 2 Empty Re: Games you remember most

Post by firstblood on Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:07 pm

Wolfman Jack wrote:Aldo, I too remember Robert Day trying to rush the ball through for what would  have been a winning point. I was always amazed that with so much pressure at the time he had the presence of mind to think of that.
I have some other vague memories of that drawn final.
Early in the first quarter we set up a loose man & ran the ball to one of our players who was unattended in the goal square. I think it may have been Ian Verrier a very good player. Unfortunately he was so affected by the virus that he fell over & couldn’t get up. Not a good start but we rallied.
In the last quarter we were six points up & had the run of the ball. Fred Bills a top player for the Eagles marked about 50/60 metres out. Not known for his kicking, Fred went back & drilled it & tied the game up.
Conversely for us Jack Pannenberg marked 35 metres out straight in front with not much left on the clock. Jack was a reliable goal kicker & all he had to do was score & the game was ours virtually. Unfortunately he didn’t make the distance & the game ended up a draw. Talking with Jack about it years later he said he had nothing left, his legs were gone as a result of the virus.
In the replay the next week we won quite comfortably.
If anyone has a print out of our side from the drawn 1969 first semi final, could they please print it here on the forum or send it to me via private message. It would be greatly appreciated. I keep racking my brains trying to remember that team.
The closest thing i could find is the team that were in the replay... a bit hard to read, but you should see the names.

Games you remember most - Page 2 Team

The full write up can be found here..  
https://australianfootball.com/articles/view/sanfl+1969+1st+semi+final+replay%3A+west+adelaide+vs.+west+torrens+nirvana+lost+and+regained+-+part+1/704
firstblood
firstblood

Number of posts : 378
Location : Salisbury Downs
Job/hobbies : The light keeper

Back to top Go down

Games you remember most - Page 2 Empty Re: Games you remember most

Post by Lee Harradine on Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:44 pm

Thanks, FB, gold.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Number of posts : 1311

Back to top Go down

Games you remember most - Page 2 Empty Re: Games you remember most

Post by bruce cameron on Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:24 pm

Lee Harradine wrote:Thanks, FB, gold.
I agree. A fantastic read. Devaney captures the magic of the times.
bruce cameron
bruce cameron

Number of posts : 199

Back to top Go down

Games you remember most - Page 2 Empty Re: Games you remember most

Post by Wolfman Jack on Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:29 pm

Thanks so much First Blood, really appreciate it.
I can work out how the side would have lined up from the names in the budget. So many memories from those names. Players like Ian Verrier, Trevor Haupt, Hallett Shueard, Frank Leonard (even though he went to North), Juan Hooper, etc should never be forgotten from our history.

I had forgotten that Graeme Plew & David Bertlesmeir & John Burkett were in that side along with Colin Thompson an underrated player . I remember that Gary Wallis had an outstanding finals series. I remember all those players except J Mackay - I just can’t place him.
If I recall right, Bob Loveday missed the finals through either a broken arm or a broken leg.
Thanks again First Blood - I have been trying to recall that team in my head for weeks now.


Last edited by Wolfman Jack on Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:31 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Correct spelling)
Wolfman Jack
Wolfman Jack

Number of posts : 99
Location : Allenby Gardens
Job/hobbies : Retired

Back to top Go down

Games you remember most - Page 2 Empty Re: Games you remember most

Post by firstblood on Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:35 pm

Wolfman Jack wrote:Thanks so much First Blood, really appreciate it.
I can work out how the side would have lined up from the names in the budget. So many memories from those names. Players like Ian Verrier, Trevor Haupt, Hallett Shueard, Frank Leonard (even though he went to North), Juan Hooper, etc should never be forgotten from our history.

I had forgotten that Graeme Plew & David Bertlesmeir & John Burkett were in that side along with Colin Thompson an underrated player . I remember that Gary Wallis had an outstanding finals series. I remember all those players except J Mackay - I just can’t place him.
If I recall right, Bob Loveday missed the finals through either a broken arm or a broken leg.
Thanks again First Blood - I have been trying to recall that team in my head for weeks now.
Your welcome. Smile
firstblood
firstblood

Number of posts : 378
Location : Salisbury Downs
Job/hobbies : The light keeper

Back to top Go down

Games you remember most - Page 2 Empty Re: Games you remember most

Post by firstblood on Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:52 pm

A game at Woodville oval, 1985 i think, the year Glen Kilpatrick won the Magarey medal...
Dale Woodhall kicked 12 goals for West and i can't quite remember the name of the Woodville player who kicked 14. Woodville won with the last kick of the day.
Please correct me if I'm wrong with the amount of goals kicked by those 2 players.
One of the best games iv'e ever watched with the footy moving from end to end with great skills and high scoring from both sides.
firstblood
firstblood

Number of posts : 378
Location : Salisbury Downs
Job/hobbies : The light keeper

Back to top Go down

Games you remember most - Page 2 Empty Re: Games you remember most

Post by Lee Harradine on Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:14 pm

I've written about that game in my book, FB.

The Woodville player was Stuart Nicol (spelling?).

I remember Woodhall going off with an injury in the last quarter.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Number of posts : 1311

Back to top Go down

Games you remember most - Page 2 Empty Re: Games you remember most

Post by aldo russian on Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:54 pm

Did Frank Leonard go to North or Norwood? My memory is it was Norwood. He certainly ended up coaching juniors at Norwood.
aldo russian
aldo russian

Number of posts : 834

Back to top Go down

Games you remember most - Page 2 Empty Re: Games you remember most

Post by Lee Harradine on Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:58 pm

Yes, I thought Norwood.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Number of posts : 1311

Back to top Go down

Games you remember most - Page 2 Empty Re: Games you remember most

Post by aldo russian on Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:35 pm

Yes Wolfman I'm pretty sure Loveday broke his leg in '69. I think he and Pope both played across half-back in the State side that year.
aldo russian
aldo russian

Number of posts : 834

Back to top Go down

Games you remember most - Page 2 Empty Re: Games you remember most

Post by Lee Harradine on Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:06 pm

Wolfnan Jack, I reckon that is John McKay. If so, I went to school with him.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Number of posts : 1311

Back to top Go down

Games you remember most - Page 2 Empty Re: Games you remember most

Post by blacky on Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:37 pm

firstblood wrote:A game at Woodville oval, 1985 i think, the year Glen Kilpatrick won the Magarey medal...
Dale Woodhall kicked 12 goals for West and i can't quite remember the name of the Woodville player who kicked 14. Woodville won with the last kick of the day.
Please correct me if I'm wrong with the amount of goals kicked by those 2 players.
One of the best games iv'e ever watched with the footy moving from end to end with great skills and high scoring from both sides.
Fielke won the medal in 85 fb
We both got life membership that year
avatar
blacky

Number of posts : 167

Back to top Go down

Games you remember most - Page 2 Empty Re: Games you remember most

Post by Wolfman Jack on Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:35 pm

Thanks Lee. I just can’t get a mental picture of John MacKay in my mind at all.

I thought that game at Woodville was 1986. Malcom Blight was playing full forward for Woodville in 1985 & I reckon he kicked 35 goals at the age of 35 against us in 3 games.
Glen Kilpatrick won the Margaret medal in 1995.
Wolfman Jack
Wolfman Jack

Number of posts : 99
Location : Allenby Gardens
Job/hobbies : Retired

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Back to top


 :: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum