Member Elected Board Member

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Member Elected Board Member - Page 3 Empty Re: Member Elected Board Member

Post by Coolie on Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:23 pm

I gather then that someone at the club counts them. Would not due process require independent scrutineers!! While not suggesting the process is open to “error” good governance would suggest changing the constitution.
Coolie

Number of posts : 10

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine on Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:32 pm

Coolie wrote:I gather then that someone at the club counts them. Would not due process require independent scrutineers!!   While not suggesting the process is open to “error” good governance would suggest changing the constitution.  

I was the Returning Officer some years ago when there were 9 candidates. I counted the votes with the assistance of a very capable staff member. At that time I held no administrative position at the Club. One of the candidates had a scrutineer to watch us count the votes of members voting in person. All votes were confidential.

I have no doubt that Ben Hopkins, as Returning Officer, will ensure the count is correct and totally proper. Ben's integrity is undoubted. I think it would take pressure off a CEO in future if the Returning Officer was totally separate to the Board and Administration, as has always been the case previously, though.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Number of posts : 1319

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella on Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:34 pm

Coolie wrote:I gather then that someone at the club counts them. Would not due process require independent scrutineers!!   While not suggesting the process is open to “error” good governance would suggest changing the constitution.  

The votes are counted by the "Returning Officer" who I understand this time round is the CEO a very honorable and professional man ------ as per above a previous "Returning Officer" was Lee from this site and there has been others.

The appointment of the CEO as "Returning Officer" is legal under the Constitution and will make no aspersions in any way against him. Lees comment above are totally supported by me.

From the position of LOOK and to give an air of confidentiality for voter I question if any Board/Executive of the Club should be the "Returning Officer".

At this time due process is set by the Constitution as I previously mentioned and yes if any Member/s feels there is a need then they can start the process to change the Constitution.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Life long passionate supporter
Oldfella
Oldfella

Number of posts : 706
Job/hobbies : Retired due to severe clinical depression

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce cameron on Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:41 pm

Ben offered me the opportunity to supply a scrutineer for the count and I have taken him up on this offer.
bruce cameron
bruce cameron

Number of posts : 199

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella on Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:02 pm

Wrong forum I know just wanted to share my joy --- My illness is behaving so I am going to training again tonight -- I am over the moon

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Life long passionate supporter
Oldfella
Oldfella

Number of posts : 706
Job/hobbies : Retired due to severe clinical depression

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine on Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:10 pm

That's great, oldfella cheers
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine on Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:44 am

After reading the Annual Report, I thought I'd give some information about our Board membership, last time and now.

Our last Board was composed entirely of long-standing, passionate & highly capable West Adelaide people, bar one member to help in a new venture.

If Marteine is elected, it will mean that two members out of 7 have come from the SANFL Equal Opportunities program. Now, not ony did I support this program as President, but I attended several functions and met the participants.

I explained that getting on to a club board wasn't easy, as you had to be elected by the members. My suggestion was that participants got on to sub-committees at the club to get known and to understand the club first. That was generally agreed as being a good pathway.

However, the constitution was changed and we now have two participants on a board of only 7.

We also have 2 non-West Adelaide supporters and only three supporters. With retirement at the AGM, it will be only 2 supporters on a Board of 7. This is unprecedented in our history and in all good conscience I can't see it as a good thing.

Voting for Bruce Cameron is a chance to maintain some small beating heart for the club, so I hope he is elected.

He's got a lot to overcome, though.

Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum