2020 Season

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Go down

2020 Season Empty 2020 Season

Post by Lee Harradine on Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:45 pm

I was just thinking about how possible a restart of the 2020 season would be. I have no expertise at all, so these are just thoughts.

I cant see how the season could start without spectators at Adelaide Oval AFL games, which would mean all gathering restrictions would have had to be lifted. If no spectators, there is no SMA income, hence no SANFL income. Without SANFL income, clubs would still have no income, but if games restarted, they would have to pay players and have all the costs of holding a game, including coaches wages and all other game day costs. The little they would get from match day income wouldn't be enough.

If AFL starts up again as normal, we could play. If not, I can't see us starting up again quickly.

What do you think?
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Number of posts : 1340

Back to top Go down

2020 Season Empty Re: 2020 Season

Post by Thiele on Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:28 pm

I think we are a long way off. Perhaps maybe a summer season might be a go

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
2015 PREMIERS. GO BLOODS
Thiele
Thiele

Number of posts : 578

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian on Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:43 pm

That sounds about right Lee. It seems like, whatever restrictions are eased, the social distancing requirements are going to be with us for a long time (at least until we have a vaccine) so I'm not sure how football codes are going to get around that.
aldo russian
aldo russian

Number of posts : 847

Back to top Go down

Post by TAAARS on Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:45 am

I'm a bit more optimistic than that as far as general starting back up. As long as the new cases of covid 19 fall to a trickle like 1 or 2 a week (or less) and can be traced to where they came from ie overseas travel I reckon in SA,WA and Tas the restrictions (with some modification) will be lifted as a test. If they don't increase again because of it, life in SA at least will start getting back on track. Doing a quick calc the odds now of getting the virus in SA are about 1 in 5000. Double the odds than in NSW. At some point the authorities have to give it a try. The cost to the economy otherwise will be extreme. My guess late May or in June. Already the NRL is pushing to restart so the AFL won't be far behind. $'s speak loudest. Whether spectators are allowed is another thing?
But pubs,clubs and restaurants etc I think will reopen with restricted numbers.
I base my guess on the news reports of what is happening, and on my missus who worked for the Dept of health and one of her areas of expertise was infection control with the elderly before she retired and still has many contacts, and what they are saying. The politicians at the end of the day get their advise from these people and rarely if ever go against them. (for good reason). Australia has after all controlled this virus very well compared to other countries.
As for SANFL well I can't see why they could not start up then in some form. Maybe with no spectators at first but then the cost of it without the income could be the limiting factor?
TAAARS
TAAARS

Number of posts : 202

Back to top Go down

Post by firstblood on Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:17 am

I agree with TAAARS, the next few weeks are crucial, we had no new infections yesterday, we have a few in intensive care and a couple of hundred in isolation. If we don't get any new infections over the coming 2 - 3 weeks, , i see no reason why  we can't get some sort of season under way around June or early July.
As for social distancing, i think that can be relaxed in 2  - 3 weeks time also, you only have to go to Bunnings or your local shopping centre now and your still practically rubbing shoulders with others.
Keep the borders closed until other states have it under control and i think we could see some footy being played and our club along with others opened up for business. This state cannot afford to be shut down for months. A vaccine is probably 6  - 12 months away.
The AFL will have to wait a bit longer IMO due to interstate travel;so if we can get up and running, we might even get some decent crowds at SANFL games. Again i emphasize that we can't have any new infections / outbreaks in the next 2 weeks or so.
Just my thoughts.
firstblood
firstblood

Number of posts : 380
Job/hobbies : The light keeper

Back to top Go down

Post by Mypaspective on Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:03 pm

I’m with Lee here. We can’t play any SANFL games without income to pay the players, coaches & staff.

If the AFL starts without crowds there is no income from Adelaide Oval then no income for SANFL to assist its 8 clubs.

The state govt will be super cautious not to take the foot off the brake because they & we can’t afford a relapse. While the borders are closed all we would see are Showdowns week after week as they won’t allow visiting teams in.

As a result I find it difficult to see a re-start this year at this stage.
Mypaspective
Mypaspective

Number of posts : 346

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeme on Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:27 am

I'm with you MP and Lee.
There is no way that the Season can start for SANFL with or without crowds until the Club can be open for business for well over a month to allow some sort of revenue to be raised. The longer the club is closed the quicker we gain more debt. If the season was to start then the electricity bill alone would would be though the roof and that is with the solar panels. Add the player and coach payments to it and we are in more dept than we have ever been in and in theory little if any way out. The amount needed to put a side onto the park even for a shortened season would be more than we could raise in the short time that we would have to raise the funds.
mikeme
mikeme

Number of posts : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by TAAARS on Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:40 pm

Today's stats according to SA Gov website. There are 433 total cases recorded of Covid 19 in SA. of these 279 have recovered and hence are no longer infectious. Therefore there are 154 patients who still are. Divide them by the population of the state and there is 1 case of covid 19 per 11,000 people.
About double what we had a week ago when I last did the numbers.
So I believe we are getting to the stage when the government will need to start relaxing the isolation and shutdown providing we don't get a late rush of new cases. Unlikely while the borders are closed IMHO.
Now here is a thought.
When this happens it will likely be a staged restart. Why not first allow sporting clubs to trade as a tester. Not social clubs as these are similar to pubs, for the first 2 to 4 weeks. Why? Because they have a better chance of monitoring patrons . If all patrons have to show ID and register on arrival then should a breakout occur they and others there the same day can be quickly found and isolated.
Try that at a pub.
This gives an added benefit to the clubs as they have a head start to get some much needed revenue and just maybe allow the sports to get underway at a later date, but at least save their ar**s.
On the news today I heard 70% of people have increased their alcohol consumption during the lock down. This tells me people are bored and want to go out again. The clubs can provide that avenue for meals, pokies and drinks if they are savvy enough. Who knows they may even get more new members sign up. Now we have the State Treasurer as a long time West supporter among  our ranks . Why not a little lobbying in that regard? If the clubs get over run with patrons ( a good problem to have) they can restrict the amount of people they allow in like after we won the GF in 2015.
Members only....then sell them a membership.
Just thinking out of the square here.
In the meantime I sent in a donation today.
TAAARS
TAAARS

Back to top Go down

Post by firstblood on Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:44 am

I agree again with Taaars..

Are we going to have to isolate again once the Corona virus is gone and the normal flu season starts up?  which by the way can be just as destructive and unfortunately kills many, mostly the elderly as well.
Can we all remember last years flu season?, ambulances banking up, hospital beds choked to the full and emergency departments with 8 hour waiting times just to see a doctor.
firstblood
firstblood

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine on Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:55 am

We've been lucky, but 150,000 around the world have died, including so many doctors, nurses and younger workers and people. I think I'd err on the side of caution.

The players would be OK, but I'm not sure of the average age in the Property Room??
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by firstblood on Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:25 pm

Hey Lee, i'm not trying to start an argument into whether we open up everything or not, but my concern is when the flu season begins.
On Wikipedia...
Influenza, commonly known as "the flu", is an infectious disease caused by an influenza virus. Symptoms can be mild to severe. The most common symptoms include: high fever, runny nose, sore throat, muscle and joint pain, headache, coughing, and feeling tired.
Influenza spreads around the world in yearly outbreaks, resulting in about three to five million cases of severe illness and about 290,000 to 650,000 deaths.
So should we isolate everyone when we have a flu outbreak?
firstblood
firstblood

Back to top Go down

Post by RODH2 on Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:03 pm

We can immunise against flu. and take precautions, and control things to a degree, it's part of life. We simply don't know where we are with this thing, and certainly don't have a vaccine. Question
RODH2
RODH2

Number of posts : 190

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine on Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:03 pm

Fair question, FB. We still don't know everything about this virus, but we know the death rate is far, far higher than flu, there is no vaccine, the symptoms can be far more severe and if it isn't contained it could lead to massive death rates.  I suppose we're conditioned to flu and it isn't fatal for 99.9% of the population.

We probably won't know the right answer till much later.

On a football note, I saw our team photo and don't recognise nearly half of them, after missing pre-season for the first time in decades!

Life goes on.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by firstblood on Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:56 am

Lee Harradine wrote:Fair question, FB. We still don't know everything about this virus, but we know the death rate is far, far higher than flu, there is no vaccine, the symptoms can be far more severe and if it isn't contained it could lead to massive death rates.  I suppose we're conditioned to flu and it isn't fatal for 99.9% of the population.

We probably won't know the right answer till much later.

On a football note, I saw our team photo and don't recognise nearly half of them, after missing pre-season for the first time in decades!

Life goes on

2020 Season Team
firstblood
firstblood

Back to top Go down

Post by Mypaspective on Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:41 am

Doesn’t take much time disconnection to find it difficult to recognise players especially considering quite a few newbies.

I only recognise about 14 & most sit in the same row as the coach.

It seems as if it will be awhile before we can reconnect & get to know most of the boys.

Mypaspective
Mypaspective

Number of posts : 346

Back to top Go down

Post by TAAARS on Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:24 am

I am hearing via grapevine from Health Dept workers , as long as new infections stay low as they are now then 2 to 4 weeks some restrictions will be lifted. So hopefully clubs,resturants, pubs etc will start trading again with limited patrons. Also read in news SANFL players (most of them anyway) keen to play games without payment. Maybe the comp can start even if no spectators allowed at first?
TAAARS
TAAARS

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine on Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:36 am

I think in the future we will see more use of volunteers in some positions, to save costs.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian on Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:47 pm

Lee Harradine wrote:I think in the future we will see more use of volunteers in some positions, to save costs.
In the midfield?
aldo russian
aldo russian

Number of posts : 847

Back to top Go down

Post by TAAARS on Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:02 pm

I volunteer to stand in the goal square. No one else will fit in. Problem solvered!
TAAARS
TAAARS

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella on Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:19 pm

aldo russian wrote:
Lee Harradine wrote:I think in the future we will see more use of volunteers in some positions, to save costs.
In the midfield?

Dits kicked 6 goals from center but I am afraid it was about 50 ( or was it 60) years ago also Bundy recons that he is the best Coach he played for based on one coaching decision (Bundy to center)

So Dits could be playing Coach in the center LOL

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Life long passionate supporter
Oldfella
Oldfella

Number of posts : 714
Job/hobbies : Retired due to severe clinical depression

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine on Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:20 pm

aldo russian wrote:
In the midfield?

Nice.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella on Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:39 pm

Now I will be serious.

Most of the talk in the papers & media refers to the AFL playing again with a lot of talk about going on reference Reserves sides and AFL clubs not being able to afford the cost of reserves ---- the AFL themselves have mentioned that they are looking at this and have made mention of vertical movement from other competitions VFL, SANFL etc.

Whether this means back to the old system of AFL player shared among  the SANFL clubs or something new who knows.

The biggest reason that I believe could lead to any SANFL football this season is the need for secondary AFL footballers to play and for U/18 players to show their wares for the AFL recruiters --- what this could lead to is of potential concern.

Who knows perhaps SANFL footy may comprise of the U/18 only ??

Another Elephant in the China Shop is the talk of AFL temporarily relocating teams to WA, SA or NT and only playing in a group in that state (remember its about games to meet TV sponsorship) --- were it to occur where would these teams train --- perhaps at grounds that the AFL has previously paid money to upgrade ---- hmmmmmm

Life long passionate supporter
Oldfella
Oldfella

Number of posts : 714
Job/hobbies : Retired due to severe clinical depression

Back to top Go down

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum