ANZACS

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Go down

ANZACS Empty ANZACS

Post by Mypaspective on Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:17 pm

We honour & salute all of the West Adelaide Football Club brave people who have served our great country in all conflicts over more than a century to give us the freedom that we all enjoy today, even though current restrictions are challenging.

This morning I held a mini dawn service around our flagpole (with flag half mast) with 10 of our neighbours (incl 2 of us) at a socially acceptable distance of course.

I recited the “ode” followed by the last post (load & clear in the still of a beautiful morning) & finished with a minutes silence.

I also had a photo front & centre of my grandpa “Pop James” who served in the 9th Lighthorse in Egypt & Gallipoli. He was one of the lucky ones to come home from that horrible battle.

LEST WE FORGET.
Mypaspective
Mypaspective

Number of posts : 346

Back to top Go down

ANZACS Empty Re: ANZACS

Post by TAAARS on Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:56 pm

My father served in WW2 in North Africa at places such as El Alamein  and Tobruk against Rommel's Africa corp. He also returned and never spoke of it rather, threw himself into endless work to no doubt occupy his mind. He died in 1964 in his mid 40's. God knows what hell those poor bugga's went through.
I was 12 when he died and became a Legacy kid until I was old enough to go to work. While his death was not due directly to the conflict I'm sure it shortened his life. I hold his medals with pride and sadness with what might have been.
Likewise..............LEST WE FORGET
TAAARS
TAAARS

Number of posts : 205

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine on Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:11 pm

Perhaps our fathers served together, TAAARS.

My father, Alan (Kid) Harradine, 2/48th Battalion, B Company, 12th Platoon (I think). SX11802

I understand your father's experiences and the cost that brought.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Number of posts : 1342

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine on Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:15 pm

Link to the interview I did about Anzac Day and West Adelaide this morning on Life FM.

https://soundcloud.com/lifefmadelaide-1/lee-harradine
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Number of posts : 1342

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce cameron on Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:14 pm

Lee Harradine wrote:Link to the interview I did about Anzac Day and West Adelaide this morning on Life FM.

https://soundcloud.com/lifefmadelaide-1/lee-harradine

Lee, thanks for posting the link as I missed this morning's interview. I enjoyed listening to you speak and hope that those listening will be interested enough to buy a copy of your book once it is published.

Thanks Mypaspective and TAARS for writing about your thoughts regarding Anzac Day. From the coverage I saw on TV, it looks like a healthy number of people went to some effort to commemorate the occasion whilst in isolation. An opportunity to build community spirit and acknowledge the debt we own to those who served. A good sign in these difficult times. How lucky we are to live in such a great country, made even more apparent at the moment.
Let's hope better times are not far away.

bruce cameron
bruce cameron

Number of posts : 202

Back to top Go down

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum